PDA

View Full Version : Mix Breeding with other types

ilzho
05-15-2015, 07:29 PM
Hi:

Random Question:

I am curious to know if any breeder has tried breeding a trotter or jumper with a thoroughbred and if the result was a success or utter failure?

Thanks,
David

magwell
05-15-2015, 07:45 PM
Hi:

Random Question:

I am curious to know if any breeder has tried breeding a trotter or jumper with a thoroughbred and if the result was a success or utter failure?

Thanks,
DavidWhen you breed a TB with anything but TB you have what the race track calls a pony.........;)

affirmedny
05-15-2015, 10:13 PM
Hi:

Random Question:

Thanks,
David

the sire that all standardbreds descend from, Messenger, was a thoroughbred

Donttellmeshowme
05-15-2015, 11:17 PM
is this dude serious?

menifee
05-16-2015, 12:15 AM
When you breed a TB with anything but TB you have what the race track calls a pony.........;)

They breed TB to quarter horses all the time and race them in quarter horse races or in 870 or 1000 races around the turn.

Sysonby
05-16-2015, 07:51 AM
A lot of jumpers have tb in them, same for other sport categories like eventing and dressage.

Robert Goren
05-16-2015, 08:16 AM
They breed TB to quarter horses all the time and race them in quarter horse races or in 870 or 1000 races around the turn. You are liable see almost anything in a QH race including "Triggers" (palominos).

BlueChip@DRF
05-16-2015, 10:23 AM
Hi:

Random Question:

Thanks,
David

You get Zippy Chippy.

RacingFan1992
05-16-2015, 11:04 AM
is this dude serious?

http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/messenger

http://www.pedigreequery.com/messenger

He is right though.

According to the links provided he was a legendary Standardbred sire but he was a Thoroughbred.

magwell
05-16-2015, 11:12 AM
They breed TB to quarter horses all the time and race them in quarter horse races or in 870 or 1000 races around the turn.Yes your right, and the quarter horses on a tb circuit are called pony's......:cool:

Clocker
05-16-2015, 11:53 AM
Hi:

Random Question:

Thanks,
David

A success at what? It would not be eligible for racing.

ilzho
05-16-2015, 06:55 PM

So you're saying that if you breed a tb with a trotter, it's not eligible for racing on the tb circuit?
Just trying to understand.

elhelmete
05-16-2015, 07:09 PM
So you're saying that if you breed a tb with a trotter, it's not eligible for racing on the tb circuit?

Yes.

nearco
05-16-2015, 08:20 PM
Many of the best jump racers are not full TBs, they are APQS (Autre Que Pur Sang, which literally means "other than TB" in French. Though they are of predominantly TB bloodlines.

As pointed out earlier, many racing Quarter Horses are "Appendix" QHs, i.e they have one TB parent, and sometime three TB grandparents.

nearco
05-16-2015, 08:22 PM

Yes.

That is only in the US and Can.
There is no such prohibition in most other countries. You could run TB/Trotter cross in the Derby at Epsom or the Prix de l'Arc if you wanted.

Track Collector
05-16-2015, 10:54 PM
You get Zippy Chippy.

The Zipster!!

Saw him run at the Northampton Fair a few times. In what was probably his closest finish ever, he missed winning a one of the races by 6-inches or less.