PDA

View Full Version : Preakness - where will Mr. Z finish?

horses4courses
05-14-2015, 09:10 PM
Nearer first than last place, regardless of distance?

letswastemoney
05-14-2015, 09:17 PM
Hopefully 5th, because if I decide to put a few dollars on the race, I'd rather not include him.

If he runs like he did at Los Alamitos, he can hit the board.

Lemon Drop Husker
05-15-2015, 12:21 AM
You're missing an option for DFL (dead effing last). :p

How many lengths does he have get beat by in order for Lukas to not enter him in the Belmont? 30? 40? 50 or more?

jk3521
05-15-2015, 07:45 AM
Funny, everyone thinks D. Wayne has something up his sleeve here. Interesting story, though.

http://www.kentucky.com/2015/05/13/3850116/mr-z-sold-to-calumet-will-run.html

sammy the sage
05-15-2015, 08:08 AM
And I'm anxious to try this horse on the grass at some point."

Read more here: http://www.kentucky.com/2015/05/13/3850116_mr-z-sold-to-calumet-will-run.html?rh=1#storylink=cpy

magwell
05-15-2015, 11:17 AM
If he wins the Preakness I'll have to quit this game for real......;)

ILovetheInner
05-15-2015, 12:14 PM
I decided to be obnoxious and put him top four, lol It is not insane. Very hard to crack into the top three, but if he can get back to his South West, he seems less distanced from the other half of the field if he's got some improvement in him. FL isn't exactly ineligible for a bounce. Why not? If you look at the bottom half of this field of eight, why would Mr Z look much worse?

Lukas likes to show up for the big races when he thinks he has a shot. There have been a number of times....as in Breeders' Cup times....when it looked as if he had no shot. When that has happened, sometimes he has acted like he got lucky, sometimes as if he were expecting it. It's what he does. The way some are acting around here you'd think only his obvious horses run well. Not so.

I think many are reading way too much into all this. I see no reason why Lukas wouldn't have thought his colt didn't have a chance to run in Louisville, and he's been somewhat unfortunate in his last three races. I wouldn't read more into what he is expecting than that.....whatever chance you thought he had in the Derby, now is the time to apply it. Or to think this horse is somehow in crisis? He needs a fair shot for Lukas to see where he is at, and with a horse who has a lot of graded form on his lines and who in the past ran well against two of the three in the top flight, he will take that shot here. No need to call a cop, lol.

RacingFan1992
05-15-2015, 01:06 PM
Wouldn't it be funny as Hell if Mr. Z beat American Pharaoh. That would be slam to Zayat.

RaceTrackDaddy
05-15-2015, 04:37 PM
I think he will be among the top four. He has faced one of the toughest roads to the Derby and what a troubled trip he had.

For those that have a ADW with an archive, check out the start of the race paying attention to the two inside horses in the auxiliary gate. American Pharoah drew the outside while Mr was first in. Also notice that the gate seems more angled towards the rail than in past years.

Forget the bumping and being pushed into, check out the hold that was on this horse. He basically fought the jock every step thus tiring himself out. Shorter field and a clear trip towards the leaders should leave him in contact with the 1,2 and 8. Any luck and he might hit the show spot.

zico20
05-15-2015, 06:11 PM
You're missing an option for DFL (dead effing last). :p

How many lengths does he have get beat by in order for Lukas to not enter him in the Belmont? 30? 40? 50 or more?

If Lukas doesn't have another horse for the Belmont, then Mr. Z will run in the Belmont no matter how bad he runs in the Preakness. Lukas will find some excuse like he did with Will Take Charge to run him in the Belmont.

horses4courses
05-15-2015, 06:44 PM
Lukas likes to show up for the big races when he thinks he has a shot.

Yes, and yes - but with a qualification.

Lukas loves to be at the Big Dance, and in the limelight.
He, also, believes that he has a shot - always.

Whether he's being realistic, or not, is open to question.

The horse probably won't embarrass himself tomorrow.
Some of his form shows he belongs.
The only way he gets past, or even close to, one of the favorites,
is if one of them has an unimaginably bad day.

Lemon Drop Husker
05-15-2015, 06:48 PM
If Lukas doesn't have another horse for the Belmont, then Mr. Z will run in the Belmont no matter how bad he runs in the Preakness. Lukas will find some excuse like he did with Will Take Charge to run him in the Belmont.

Will Take Charge had 3 wins rolling into the Kentucky Derby and had bad trips in all 3 Triple Crown races.

He was also a much bigger horse than Mr. Z, and much more lightly raced than Mr. Z coming into the Triple Crown run. All said and done, his best finish was 7th in that "run".

But you're right, we may as well pencil in Mr. Z in the Belmont right now as long as he finishes the race tomorrow.

bobphilo
05-15-2015, 06:53 PM
Wouldn't it be funny as Hell if Mr. Z beat American Pharaoh. That would be slam to Zayat.
Yes, and if a frog had wings it wouldn't bump his ass so much (Warren Beatty in McCabe and Mrs. Miller).
Horses with bad trips are the most overbet in racing. True that a poor trip is a valid excuse for a horse that has shown it would have won otherwise but Mr. Z has never shown it can beat American Pharaoh.

Robert Fischer
05-15-2015, 11:18 PM
I would not be shocked to see him getting 3rd or 4th.

Robert Goren
05-16-2015, 06:18 PM
I think he gets the early lead, but falls back to 5th.

ArlJim78
05-16-2015, 06:27 PM
Looks like he did finish fifth.
On to the Belmont!

horses4courses
05-16-2015, 07:01 PM
People voting after the race.

Priceless........ :lol: