PDA

View Full Version : Lost File

Robert Goren
05-14-2015, 09:55 AM
Last night I was working on an Excel 2010 file stored in One Drive. Suddenly the sheet got a haze over it and disappeared. I did find a 4/21/2015 version of it on dropbox, but I have not found a more recent version anywhere. I recreate the work, but I feel have lost about 20 hours of work. Is there anything I can do?

Canarsie
05-14-2015, 11:54 AM
Last night I was working on an Excel 2010 file stored in One Drive. Suddenly the sheet got a haze over it and disappeared. I did find a 4/21/2015 version of it on dropbox, but I have not found a more recent version anywhere. I recreate the work, but I feel have lost about 20 hours of work. Is there anything I can do?

I'm going to assume you don't want any part of a pay model so this is what google will show you with the right query.

https://www.google.com/search?q=free+data+recovery+software&oq=&aqs=chrome.3.69i58j0i66l3.841030j0j8&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8

Some shareware will let you see the file but you won't be able to retrieve it without the pay model. Good luck with your search.

tupper
05-14-2015, 01:38 PM
Some shareware will let you see the file but you won't be able to retrieve it without the pay model. Good luck with your search.It sounds like he never saved the file, and that he was also working from some cloud service (doubt that they would let him run rescue software on their servers).

Anyway, there is a slim chance that the file was auto-saved to the cloud (or locally), so it might not hurt to look at the Excel settings and/or contact the cloud provider to find out.

"Save early and save often," and ALWAYS save a copy to local drives -- never completely rely on the cloud.

By the way, if it was saved locally and the drive got corrupted, any live CD with photorec and testdisk should quickly recover the lost files or drive.

Robert Goren
05-14-2015, 05:41 PM
I was able to recover the file from the One Drive website. Whew! It seems they have a recovery system I was not able to find last night.