PDA

View Full Version : Belmont: Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Teach
05-13-2015, 12:14 PM
I Don’t Always Play The NYRA Pick-6. But When I Do, I Prefer Six-Digit Carryovers. Stay “Hungry,” My Friends!

Race One:

In the words of songwriter Cole Porter: “It’s delightful, it’s delicious, it’s de-lovely…” Yes, :2: D’princess, the D’wildcat-bred, 6-year-old chestnut mare, is da choice in the opener. When you fly airplanes: “Speed Saves”. Yet, on the race track, when speed is loose on the lead, it’s dangerous (I mean that in positive way). I believe this Forest Wildcat-bred can get loose. If she’s coasting out there – playing catch-me-if-you – she will prove a most difficult target to “reel in”. This mare has faced better. She cutting back a touch. That’s favorable. Both her trainer, Rudy Rodriguez and her jockey, Irad Ortiz, Jr., do well with sprints. Yes, “…it’s delimit, it’s deluxe, it’s de-lovely”. It’s D’princess.

Others: :7: Money Game; :5: Pure Vida Zen; :6: Madre Ditutticapi.

Race Two:

Does the Irad and Rudy Show continue? Both halves of the early double? We’ll, either we know by now, or soon enough. Yes, this Curlin-bred filly, :3: Black Coronas, has been off for a couple months, and her morning work-tab hasn’t gotten rave reviews. And yes, admittedly, those are concerns. Yet on the positive side of the ledger this filly is dropping out of maiden-special weights company and into a 20k claimer. Frankly, although I’m hesitant to say the word or label it as such. There…I’ll say it: “Suspicious”. Trainer Rodriguez does very well with both second after a claim and horses away-from-the-races categories. The aforementioned and previously cited Irad Ortiz, Jr is in the irons.

Others: :6: Letsgotovegas; :7: Believe In Faith; :1: Ferzetti

Race Three:

:6: Real Estate Rich is my choice in this claiming route. This chestnut gelding has done little against better in recent tries. Yet, this Mr. Greeley-bred does well at the distance and on the Belmont oval; he won the last time he was entered at this level. Thus far, trainer Gary Contessa is not having a particularly notable meet, yet Gary’s an accomplished trainer, who, at one time, set a record for most wins on the NYRA circuit. This gelding had a decent morning work about ten days ago. The red-hot Javier Castellano is in the irons.

Others: :8: Divine Child; :5: Springcourt; :7: Saint Finian.

Race Four:

:2: Adrift is my choice in this claiming sprint. This highly-priced Unbridled’s Song-bred filly broke her maiden at first asking as a 9-to-5 shot at Aqueduct a little less than a month ago. The filly is cutting back a half-panel (that might be a slight problem); she did need all six and one-half furlongs to garner her last win. There’s that combo, again: Irad Ortiz, Jr. and Rudy Rodriguez. Is this their “red-letter: day? The filly did face better in her last. She did have a decent morning work leading up to this race.

Others: :4: Kathy’s Reward; :1: Noon Sermon;

Race Five:

An optional-claiming mile on the turf for New York state-breds. My pick is :6: R Y Squadron. This Chad Brown trainee won her last as the favorite in a maiden-breaking effort on the lawn at this same distance back in November at “The Big A”. This Storm Cat-bred filly does move up to winners off her previously mentioned win. The Stormy Atlantic-bred filly has been away from the races for several months, yet her morning work-tab has been very good. Trainer Chad Brown has been razor sharp in recent weeks and does very well in most racing categories. Irad Ortiz, Jr. is in the irons.

Others: :1: Skinner Box; :8: Jules N Rome; :2: Amazing Anne

Race Six:

:8: Touch The Moon is a first-time starter out of the Todd Pletcher barn who has a solid chance of winning at first asking. Trainer Pletcher does very well with first-time starters. He is using the chauffering services of “The Hall-of-Famer,” John Velazquez. This highly-priced, elegantly-bred filly has had an array of solid morning works to signal readiness for her first pari-mutuel race.

Others: :1: Gasparilla Inn; :5: Reign; :4: I’ll Take Charge

Race Seven:

In this 6 and ½ furlong sprint for New York state-breds, I’m going with :2: Camille’s Storm. This Stormy Atlantic-bred filly won her last, a maiden-breaking effort, at “The Big A” about a month ago. Her time in that winning effort was an eye-catching 1:10.3. Since then, the filly drilled a “bullet” morning 5-panel work in one-minute flat, breezing. This filly has hit the tote in three out of four attempts. Today’s slight stretch-out should help. Trainer Jim Ryerson does reasonably well with allowance races. Kendrick Carmouche reprises the ride.

Others: :4: Liberty Island; :1: Golden Gem; :3: Underthemoonlight

Race Eight:

In this allowance turf route, I’m going with the horse that I believe stands a solid chance of enhancing the value of the pick-6. Yes, this pick is not for the faint of heart; yet, I’m casting my lot with the :12: Thirteenth Avenue. This Indian Charlie-bred gelding ships in from Maryland where he was last seen finishing a closing third in an allowance sprint. The stretch-out here can do wonders for this In Excess-bred's chances. This gelding has hit the tote in four out of five turf tries. Jockey Irad Ortiz, Jr. is in the irons for trainer Fenneka Bentley.

Others: :9: Adirondack Dancer; :1: English Minister; :3: Animal Kracker

Race Nine:

In the finale, a maiden claiming turf route for New York state-breds, my choice is: :10: Foxhall Drive. This A.P. Indy-bred gelding could do little in the mud in his last race in January at Aqueduct. The gelding now switches back to the lawn where he has a third-place finish in two tries. This gelding has had some acceptable morning works in preparation for his return to the races. Trainer Dom Schettino does well with horses going from maiden-specials to maiden-claiming. Junior Alvarado is in the irons.

Others: :2: My Friend Keith; :6: Qusaichi :4: Pioneer Of Wifi