PDA

View Full Version : Smarty and his trainer....If It aint broke..dont fix it !

BeatTheChalk
05-26-2004, 12:46 AM
There was an article in the local paper ....says that the
trainer has " changed Smarty's routine. " I didnt search the
drf site or bris....the article might be there....I also say .. Do
not ever ever get off a winning method...never. Resting my
case.

kenwoodallpromos
05-26-2004, 02:10 AM
Doesn't look like a problem to me.

CryingForTheHorses
05-26-2004, 04:42 AM
I would think Smarty's routine has changed considerably! He was 6 for 6 before the derby..Was a big horse for PhillyPark then!!. Now he is a SUPERSTAR with all the crowds in the morn wanting to see him train.Gone are those walks to the track alone with no fanfare.Saw a pic of him training and he looks awesome. He seems to like all the fanfare as he walks to the track..Hope Servis isnt getting nervous!!.

delayjf
05-26-2004, 11:11 AM
I think one of the mistakes that Baffert and Lukas made leading up to the Belmont with the TC contenders was to not change their training methods. After the Preakness, 5 furlong works are not going to do a horse any good when preping for a 1 1/2 mile race. The horse needs added endurance, not sharp speed. I would increase his stamina with longer slower gallups on the turf to ease the stress on his legs.

Smarty's a pecular horse in that he pulls so hard in his morning gallups that he doesn't need much else in the way fast works, I think this is to his advantage as he preps for the Belmont. Remember what happen to Funny Cide in the Belmont after that fast 5 furlong work (57 and change)

BeatTheChalk
05-26-2004, 02:58 PM
Whew ! Sure glad I started this thread LOL .... Looks like I
am an Army of one :)
Currently I have a Dunce Cap .. standing in the corner ...with the dog saying " you are a dummie .. now please take me for a walk. "

kenwoodallpromos
05-26-2004, 03:40 PM
Tha main changes I read in the story was shorter gallops and waiting longer to go to Belmont track. Considering Belmont has been muddy off and on and depth (speed) has been changing over thw last 2 weeks, not a bad move to stay on familiar ground.
Since May 10, Belmont has had muddy days and 2 individual days where the main dirt track was 2 seconds slower per mile than the days immediately surrounding them. Last Friday it seemed to have a vert slow rail. May result in inconsistent workouts.
Philly Park this past week has been consistently slower by 3 to 6 lengths than Bel, so safer and better for building stamina.

CryingForTheHorses
05-26-2004, 03:57 PM
Ye I remember Funnycide working in 57,Ran off with the trainers girlfriend,Was galloping very strong everyday prior to that work. They baffed him out.. They wont admit it, But I feel it was them..Tagg and his girlfriend, that ruined his chances in the belmont, When a horse lke Smarty runs the way he does, I dont think working him a lot will really help him, He is now fit and just needs to keep happy, I do feel that when it comes time for the belmont a lot of trainers that have run in the other 2 races train them too much.You must remember overtraining will make a horse bounce just as quick.Servis knows Smarty and knows how to train him. He has won 8 in a row with the horse.Also remember all the other trainers are going to be training like madmen to hopfully beat him.I hear the "Wizard" Tappit trainer has something up his sleeve.I dont care what you say...Go to the bank and Bet Smarty..He will win by 10

delayjf
05-27-2004, 11:58 AM
The problem is trainers especially ones that are competing for the TC don't want to be second guessed should they lose after altering the horses training leading up to the big race. If they lose, they can blame a horses breeding.

But, given the horses that have failed to complete the TC, we have shining examples of what does not work.

I recall that Laz Berra changed the workouts for Affirmed prior to the Belmont. Workouts designed to increase stamina. It only makes sense. If long slow works are to demanding on a horse, then I'd have him swimming in a lap pool.

plainolebill
05-27-2004, 06:48 PM
Barrera did the same thing with Bold Forbes, winning the Belmont with him was probably one of the greatest training jobs of all time.