PDA

View Full Version : Barbara Borden on Victor's Derby whipping.

Stillriledup
05-11-2015, 11:10 PM
I'm not following her in THIS quote:

“We watched it many, many times prior to making it official, and that wasn’t anything that got our attention.”

What is she indicating here, i'm not understanding what "prior to making it official" has anything to do with anything.

TJDave
05-11-2015, 11:28 PM
Kentucky Horse Racing Commission Rules:

810 KAR 1:016. Running of the race.

Section 15. Use of Riding Crops.

(1) Although the use of a riding crop is not required, a jockey who uses a riding crop during a race shall do so only in a manner consistent with exerting his or her best efforts to win.

(2) In any race in which a jockey will ride without a riding crop, an announcement of that fact shall be made over the public address system.

(3) An electrical or mechanical device or other expedient designed to increase or retard the speed of a horse, other than a riding crop approved by the stewards, pursuant to 810 KAR 1:012 shall not be possessed by anyone, or applied by anyone to a horse at any time, on the grounds of the association during a race meeting, whether during a race or otherwise.

(4) A riding crop shall not be used on a two (2) year-old horse in races before April 1 of each year.

(5) A riding crop shall only be used for safety, correction and encouragement.

(6) A rider who uses a riding crop shall:

(a) Show the horse the riding crop and give the horse time to respond before striking the horse;

(b) Having used the riding crop, give the horse a chance to respond before using it again; and

(c) Use the riding crop in rhythm with the horse’s stride.

(7) A riding crop shall not be used to strike a horse:

(a) On the head, flanks or on any other part of its body other than the shoulders or hind quarters except if necessary to control a horse;

(b) During the post parade or after the finish of the race except if necessary to control the horse;

(c) Excessively or brutally;

(d) Causing welts or breaks in the skin;

(e) If the horse is clearly out of the race or has obtained its maximum placing; and

(f) Persistently even though the horse is showing no response under the riding crop.

(8) A riding crop shall not be used to strike another person.

(9) After the race, a horse may be subject to inspection by a racing official or official veterinarian looking for cuts, welts or bruises in the skin. Any adverse findings shall be reported to the stewards.

(10) The giving of instructions by any licensee that if obeyed would lead to a violation of this section may result in disciplinary action also being taken against the licensee who gave the instructions.

chadk66
05-12-2015, 10:12 AM
I have no idea what she's talking about. I saw no abnormal issues in the race. Aside from AP being whipped for the first time I have ever seen him whipped. Which was normal for a horse in a race;)

v j stauffer
05-12-2015, 11:38 AM
I'm not following her in THIS quote:

“We watched it many, many times prior to making it official, and that wasn’t anything that got our attention.”

What is she indicating here, i'm not understanding what "prior to making it official" has anything to do with anything.

You really are an addict aren't you. OMG give it a rest. Please take 4 or 5 years off to freshen up. Then be conservative when legging up for your return. :ThmbUp: