PDA

View Full Version : Laptop froze, and wouldn't reboot

Tall One
05-10-2015, 11:47 AM
Posting from my phone, and subject line says it all. Was playing Pompano last night, saved my hi-5 wager, and when I tried going back to xpressbet's main page, my screen locked.

Shut it down, and on attempted restart, said a recent hardware/software change might be the cause. Launch repair does nothing except take to a blue HP screen, and normal restart tries to load, but nothing. To the best of my knowledge no updates from hp or Microsoft have been downloaded nor have I received an update alert.

Concerned I've somehow acquired a blue screen of death type situation. Any help or ideas would be appreciated. But, at this point I've pretty much accepted its toast.

MJC922
05-10-2015, 12:29 PM
Possibly hard drive failing or corrupted? Tough to say. Bad RAM could cause a random lockup, but after that I would expect it to boot and act ok for at least a little while.

ReplayRandall
05-10-2015, 01:10 PM
Posting from my phone, and subject line says it all. Was playing Pompano last night, saved my hi-5 wager, and when I tried going back to xpressbet's main page, my screen locked.

Shut it down, and on attempted restart, said a recent hardware/software change might be the cause. Launch repair does nothing except take to a blue HP screen, and normal restart tries to load, but nothing. To the best of my knowledge no updates from hp or Microsoft have been downloaded nor have I received an update alert.

Concerned I've somehow acquired a blue screen of death type situation. Any help or ideas would be appreciated. But, at this point I've pretty much accepted its toast.
Disconnect battery for 10 minutes.....reconnect with charger plugged in, should do the trick.

passrace
05-10-2015, 01:28 PM
Disconnect battery for 10 minutes.....reconnect with charger plugged in, should do the trick.
Yes, do what RR suggested.
ALF

Tall One
05-10-2015, 01:53 PM
I did get a message my IE was using a lot of memory, which I could say was because of the streaming from xpressbet.

I will give that a shot RR. I appreciate it guys. Will update the findings later this evening. :ThmbUp:

BlueChip@DRF
05-10-2015, 01:56 PM
You should clear your cache and get rid of unnecessary items like pictures or videos that take up space.

Tall One
05-10-2015, 02:05 PM
You should clear your cache and get rid of unnecessary items like pictures or videos that take up space.

Unfortunately, I can't even get that far in the reboot process, BC. Pretty sure I don't have any vids downloaded, but if I get it up and running again, I'll remove anything remotely close.

forced89
05-10-2015, 02:53 PM
If a laptop,

1) Remove battery
2) Disconnect A/C Power
3) Hold down power button 30 seconds
4) Reconnect A/C Power
5) Turn On
6) Replace battery

This has worked for me more than once

Robert Goren
05-10-2015, 05:23 PM
I did get a message my IE was using a lot of memory, which I could say was because of the streaming from xpressbet.

I will give that a shot RR. I appreciate it guys. Will update the findings later this evening. :ThmbUp:Sounds like what was happening to my old desktop (windows 7). When I returned from rehab in Feb, it would not do anything, I unplugged it and when I tried to restart it, black smoke came out of it. Hello new Windows 8.1 computer. That IE message about memory is probably a sign something is/was wrong with the hardware.

Augenj
05-10-2015, 06:34 PM
Unfortunately, I can't even get that far in the reboot process, BC. Pretty sure I don't have any vids downloaded, but if I get it up and running again, I'll remove anything remotely close.
Reboot in Safe Mode, start IE, and clear cache. If you have CCleaner, clear IE cache from there before starting IE.

Tall One
05-10-2015, 07:09 PM
^Using Windows 7 as well RG, and minus the smoke, sounds like a similar situation.

That said, tried the suggestions above, and no dice. Was able to get an hp diag scan going and the results said the hard drive test failed..ugh. Bright side, might still be covered under my warranty for a drive replacement at no charge. Not holding my breath on that.

IT guy at work said he'd give it a look see tomorrow, but I'm thinking its kaput.

I appreciate all the help and suggestions, guys. I'll keep you posted on the outcome in case some more troubleshooting can get it going again and maybe help somebody else down the road.

Tall One
05-10-2015, 07:19 PM
Reboot in Safe Mode, start IE, and clear cache. If you have CCleaner, clear IE cache from there before starting IE.

When I attempt the reboot, it gives me 2 options:

Launch startup repair (recommended)
Start windows normal.

It loads the files, and proceeds to the light blue screen with HP in the middle, and stays like that.

Damnedest thing I've seen, Augenj. Maybe it just didn't like my high5 bet at Pompano last night, and took measures into its own hands.. :eek:

Augenj
05-10-2015, 07:37 PM
When I attempt the reboot, it gives me 2 options:

Launch startup repair (recommended)
Start windows normal.

It loads the files, and proceeds to the light blue screen with HP in the middle, and stays like that.

Damnedest thing I've seen, Augenj. Maybe it just didn't like my high5 bet at Pompano last night, and took measures into its own hands.. :eek:

Use the following steps to start Windows 7 in Safe Mode when the computer is off:
Turn on the computer and immediately begin pressing the F8 key repeatedly.
From the Windows Advanced Options Menu, use the arrow keys to select Safe Mode, and press ENTER.
The computer will automatically exit Safe Mode when it is shut down.

Tall One
05-10-2015, 08:20 PM
Ok..learned something new. Followed those steps, Augenj, and after hitting safe mode, the following is shown in list form on the screen:

Loaded: \windows\system32\drivers\

After a few moments, it goes back to the screen with the two options I posted above. Am I supposed to reboot after I choose safe mode, or just let the system run its course?

Obviously not the most computer savvy guy on the board, so thank you for your patience. :)

Augenj
05-10-2015, 08:37 PM
Ok..learned something new. Followed those steps, Augenj, and after hitting safe mode, the following is shown in list form on the screen:

Loaded: \windows\system32\drivers\

After a few moments, it goes back to the screen with the two options I posted above. Am I supposed to reboot after I choose safe mode, or just let the system run its course?

Obviously not the most computer savvy guy on the board, so thank you for your patience. :)
Sounds like it's aborting early during the boot. Too bad. It's probably hardware, disk most likely. Sorry. I'd take it to a reputable computer repair shop if you can find one.

Tall One
05-10-2015, 08:57 PM
It seemed like there was "more" that it should've been doing if that makes sense. Hope the IT guy at work can do some good.

Thanks again guys. I'll still report his findings though like I said previously in case it can do others some good.

MJC922
05-10-2015, 09:07 PM
It seemed like there was "more" that it should've been doing if that makes sense. Hope the IT guy at work can do some good.

Thanks again guys. I'll still report his findings though like I said previously in case it can do others some good.

Good luck, yeah very likely some corruption of the bcd on the disk. Sometimes startup repair can't handle it, just depends on the physical condition of the disk. Best course of action IMO is a hard drive replacement. Or if the laptop isn't worth much trash it and buy another... if it's still worth decent money I would suggest installing an SSD if you can afford it and reinstall Windows. It'll be much more responsive and no more worries about a spinning drive getting jostled while on the road.

DRIVEWAY
05-10-2015, 09:54 PM
A PC depreciates at 1% per week. After 3 years it's worth a residual value of 10%.

Repair and upgrade versus a new unit is a weak second. Time to move on after 3 years.

If you're out of warranty and less than 30 months, repairing for less than the depreciated value is still an option. However, the depreciated value should also be compared to the replacement cost. If you're not sure of what to do, replacement with an extended warranty maybe your best option.

Think of it another way. If you spent $750 on an HDTV and it needs repair after 3 years. The hourly rate to diagnose and repair is $110 per hour. Figure 1.5 to 2.0 hours without parts to repair. The replacement cost of the HDTV is now $525. What would you do - replace or repair?

Good Luck.

Tall One
05-10-2015, 10:29 PM
HP ProBrook laptop which is 1.5 years old. New system would be the best option for sure.

tupper
05-11-2015, 03:17 AM
Boot a free live CD. Will instantly tell you if the problem is hardware or software. Will allow access to files on your drive.

Many live CDs include rescue/repair software.

All for free.

It's a good idea to always have a live CD handy.

MJC922
05-11-2015, 07:04 AM
HP ProBrook laptop which is 1.5 years old. New system would be the best option for sure.

Your call on that one. I'm all about swapping in SSD but I do drive replacements and disk imaging as part of my day job.

Prices have come way down: $100 for a 250GB SSD

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-850-EVO-250GB-2-5-SATA-III-Internal-Solid-State-Drive-MZ-75E250B-AM/331548654341?

Even if the old laptop is toast, this drive could be used for any new laptop you buy because chances are if it's a budget laptop they're going to give you another spinner anyway.

raybo
05-11-2015, 10:30 AM
If you're under warranty, that's your answer. Worst that can happen is they tell you the warranty won't cover what's wrong with it. A 1 1/2 year old computer is not something to just throw away, without finding out what's wrong first, IMO. Unless you're like, apparently, some of the other people here and have money to burn. :lol: I still have a desktop that is 6 years old and it still does everything I need it to do. My wife has a laptop that was given to her, used, by her brother, it's about 5 years old and works fine.

Augenj
05-11-2015, 11:17 AM
If you're under warranty, that's your answer. Worst that can happen is they tell you the warranty won't cover what's wrong with it. A 1 1/2 year old computer is not something to just throw away, without finding out what's wrong first, IMO. Unless you're like, apparently, some of the other people here and have money to burn. :lol: I still have a desktop that is 6 years old and it still does everything I need it to do. My wife has a laptop that was given to her, used, by her brother, it's about 5 years old and works fine.
I have to agree. I've got 3 computers all running fine - 4, 9, and 10 years old.

raybo
05-11-2015, 11:27 AM
I have to agree. I've got 3 computers all running fine - 4, 9, and 10 years old.

I did get a brand new laptop a couple of weeks ago, but it was a gift! Haven't even used it yet. :lol:

Tall One
05-11-2015, 07:59 PM

Well, I'm not really budgeted for a new laptop presently, but the IT guy I mentioned has took it into his dungeon lol, so I should get a verdict tomorrow.

I did have the original cd hardware that came with the laptop. The HP diag scan I performed last night gave me a code to enter in the HP CSR web site so I'm really hoping I don't have to bite a damn bullet and make a purchase.

New clothes dryer>>laptop.

I've still got my old desktop that might get called back into active duty. :ThmbUp:

raybo
05-11-2015, 08:46 PM
Well, I'm not really budgeted for a new laptop presently, but the IT guy I mentioned has took it into his dungeon lol, so I should get a verdict tomorrow.

I did have the original cd hardware that came with the laptop. The HP diag scan I performed last night gave me a code to enter in the HP CSR web site so I'm really hoping I don't have to bite a damn bullet and make a purchase.

New clothes dryer>>laptop.

I've still got my old desktop that might get called back into active duty. :ThmbUp:

Totally understand. If you find out it's just the drive, that is a rather inexpensive fix.

Good luck!

Tall One
05-15-2015, 07:46 PM
Preliminary findings, and I quote "Well, i havent got real far into it, but it looks like its fudged.." Ugh.

He did seem confident he could strip it down and build it back up good as new. Think factory refurb he said. He's hoping for Monday or Tuesday.

tupper
05-15-2015, 08:08 PM
Preliminary findings, and I quote "Well, i havent got real far into it, but it looks like its fudged.." Ugh.*WHAT* is "fudged?" ... the hard drive? ... the memory? ... the motherboard?

Usually, the point of hardware failure on computers is just a single component.

He did seem confident he could strip it down and build it back up good as new. Think factory refurb he said. He's hoping for Monday or Tuesday.Huh? "Strip it down?" ..."factory refurb?"

Again, the point of hardware failure on computers is usually a single component. Is this guy charging you for his help?

Have you tried to boot a free live OS? That will tell you a lot right away.

Tall One
05-15-2015, 09:44 PM
Guess i shouldve waited and posted the official results..first and foremost, he's the IT guy for the imaging company i work for, he's competent, free, and I trust him.

Fudged (fu**ed) was my words. Again, Im not a tech guy at all. I can honestly say, what you've said above, and what he really told me is all mandarin, chinese.

I asked if he can fix it, and in layman's terms for me, he said there's hope.

Gotta have Hope, Bob.. ;)

raybo
05-15-2015, 10:56 PM
Guess i shouldve waited and posted the official results..first and foremost, he's the IT guy for the imaging company i work for, he's competent, free, and I trust him.

Fudged (fu**ed) was my words. Again, Im not a tech guy at all. I can honestly say, what you've said above, and what he really told me is all mandarin, chinese.

I asked if he can fix it, and in layman's terms for me, he said there's hope.

Gotta have Hope, Bob.. ;)

That sounds better! I had the same misgivings that 'tupper' had, but now that we know the guy is not trying to make money off the repair, sounds like a good deal. Once he finds out what it will take to fix it you can decide if it's worth it versus buying a new one. :ThmbUp:

Tall One
06-02-2015, 06:16 PM
Back up and running, guys.

The culprit was a compromised hard drive which I think was the diagnosis on the board. The delay in repair was due mainly too:

1) He worked on it when he got the chance.

2) Removing/getting to the hard drive on this model is apparently time consuming.

Appreciate all the info and help with this.

/Carry on.. :)

raybo
06-02-2015, 06:41 PM
Back up and running, guys.

The culprit was a compromised hard drive which I think was the diagnosis on the board. The delay in repair was due mainly too:

1) He worked on it when he got the chance.

2) Removing/getting to the hard drive on this model is apparently time consuming.

Appreciate all the info and help with this.

/Carry on.. :)

Good deal! Saved you some money I hope. :ThmbUp:

Tall One
06-02-2015, 07:19 PM
Good deal! Saved you some money I hope. :ThmbUp:

I'm out $8.00..the cost of a lunch special at the Cajun joint down by work. :ThmbUp: