PDA

View Full Version : Belmont: May 9, 2015

Teach
05-09-2015, 11:50 AM
Race One:

:5: Birthday Girl gets my tepid nod in what I see as a wide-open race. This Curlin-bred filly finished second twice before ending up fourth in her last, a maiden-claiming sprint. I believe this filly will appreciate the stretch-out to seven panels. Trainer Marcus Vitali does well when going from maiden-claiming to maiden-specials; he also does well in maiden special-weights category. This filly’s morning work-tab have been good; yet I would have liked to have seen her stretched out to more than three furlongs. The red-hot Cornelio Velasquez is in the irons.

Others: :3: Shoot The Moon (Watch the Board!); :6: Hot House Rose; :7: Lilikoi.

Race Two:

:6: Cuppa Joe appears most logical as this Medaglia d’Oro-bred gelding drops into “the selling ranks”. This El Prado-bred has hit the tote in 5 out of 8 turf tries. Trainer Brian Lynch does very well with horses dropping out of the maiden-special class and into the claiming ranks. John Velazquez is in the irons.

Others: :5: Ferocious Tiger; :8: Apple Orchard; :9: Thunders Fury

Race Three:

:3: Conquest Curlinate is my choice in the Grade II Peter Pan at a mile and one-eighth. This roan Curlin-bred colt was last seen in mid April finishing second by a nose in the Grade III Illinois Derby at Hawthorne. The horse’s trainer, Mark Casse, does well with shippers and routes. This colt had a solid recent work; he drilled five panels in 1:00.3, breezing. Joel Rosario is in the irons.

Others: :2: Madefromlucky; :4: Two Weeks Off

Race Four:

:5: Princess Violet is my pick in the Grade II Ruffian at a mile. This Bertrando-bred filly has been the model of consistency; she’s finished either first or second in nine out of her ten pari-mutuel tries. She’s had three wins and one second in four tries at Belmont. She was last seen winning the Grade I Madison at Keeneland about a month ago. Trainer Linda Rice does very well with graded stakes. Jose Ortiz is in the stirrups.

Others: :3: House Rules; :1a: Wedding Toast

Race Five:

:6: Trail Walker is my lukewarm choice in this maiden-claiming sprint. This Kingmambo-bred mare is dropping two classes into the kind of company she should be able to handle. Admittedly this mare’s recent races have been nuthin’ to write home about; yet, this race, in this company, could be the ultimate wake-up call. This mare is eligible to improve in her second start off a layoff. Abigail Adsit is an accomplished trainer. Fernando Jara reprises the ride.

Others: :9: Wise Awake; :10: Bridget Maloney; :5: Colonel Juanita

Race Six:

:9: Madam I’m Adam is my pick in this turf claiming sprint for non-winners of two. This Freud-bred gelding has faced much better in the past. My only major concern is that the gelding has been away from the races for nearly eleven months. Yet, the gelding’s morning works have been decent, especially a “bullet” in mid April. This gelding has hit the tote in four out of nine turf tries. Linda Rice owns and trains this Storm Cat-bred. The razor-sharp Cornelio Velasquez is in the irons.

Others: :3: Pep The Champ; :4: Chunnel; :5: Cleveland Sound

Race Seven:

In the Grade III Beaugay, my pick is :7: Discreet Marq. This Marquetry-bred, Christophe Clement trainee, has been the model of turf consistency. She’s hit the board in 16 out of 19 turf tries. This mare was last seen in late November finishing third at Delmar in the Grade I Matriarch. The Hall of Famer, John Velazquez, is the distaffer’s pilot.

Others: :6: Testa Rossi; :2: Radiator; :1: J Wonder

Race Eight:

:1: Global Positioning is my pick in this non-winners of two, allowance sprint, for New York state-breds. This Malibu Moon-bred’s trainer, Mike Hushion, is very good with horses that were beaten faves in their last. This A.P. Indy-bred is cutting back a panel and one-half off his last effort; that should enhance his chances. Jose Ortiz handles the riding assignment.

Others: :3: Rectify; :5: Dean Verdile; :11: Sidearm

Race Nine:

In the Grade I Man o’ War at one mile and 3/8ths on the turf, my choice is an off-the-wall, longshot: :2: Hyper. Before you utter pazzo or abuelo loco, hear me out. This Chad Brown trainee is a classy sort. Prior to throwing in “a clunker” in The Red Smith at Aqueduct in November, 2013, this Victory Gallop-bred horse finished in the money on eight-straight occasions. This horse should be fresh. Very fresh. My only obvious concern: Does he need a race? Trainer Brown does very well with horses that have been away from the races for prolonged periods of time; he also does well with turf starts. The most accomplished Jonny V. is in the irons.

Others: :1: Imagining; :4: Twilight Eclipse; :6: Hardest Core

Race Ten:

In the finale, a maiden-special turf-route, I’m going with a longshot try, :4: Fire Away. Why? For one, I like the training skills of “Shug” McGaughey. “Shug” does very well with horses that have been away from the races and also first-time Lasix. This colt, admittedly, did not show much in his only turf start; yet, there is room for improvement. Yes, the colt has been away from the races for several months; however, I do like the colt’s pedigree, e.g., Danzig, War Front, Unbridled. I think this colt is worth a look. I’d also take a peek at the board to see if there’s any interest. Angel Cruz is in the irons.

Others: :9: Britannia’s Moat; :12: Eagle Rock; :8: Veya

Saratoga_Mike
05-09-2015, 11:59 AM
5-horse field in the Peter Pan - sad to see. Same thing (six horses) with a Grade II race on the SA card today.

Like the color on your selections.