PDA

View Full Version : Disk Cleanup and Firfox ?

Flysofree
05-07-2015, 05:04 PM
With Firefox as the default browser, my disk cleanup doesn't work or shows nothing accumulating. With Firefox is deleting History the same thing when, I click to remove all history? Does this function as the same thing as with disk cleanup on IE? I've done some reading, but have not come to any conclusion.

whodoyoulike
05-07-2015, 06:36 PM
I did a disk cleanup a while back with IE and I don't think it's the same as deleting history. Disk cleanup as I recall asked if you wanted to delete files which the program deemed unnecessary.

Btw, I have Chrome as my default browser but, I was still able to use disk cleanup in the help and support section.

Flysofree
05-07-2015, 06:56 PM
Just as I was getting used to Firefox , this came up. Firefox files have to go somewhere to be cleaned up and if not History, I must be missing something. The next computer I buy, I hope will have the newest browser already installed.

DJofSD
05-07-2015, 09:05 PM
You might want to try CCleaner: http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

Flysofree
05-07-2015, 10:23 PM
You might want to try CCleaner: http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

Is that a one time payment program or a reoccurring yearly fee?

Thanks.

DJofSD
05-07-2015, 10:24 PM

Thanks.
Don't know. I only use the free version.

Canarsie
05-08-2015, 09:02 AM

Thanks.

You can read some good products and reviews on here. It doesn't look like cc cleaner has a pay version for android but I'm not 100% sure.

http://www.techworm.net/2015/03/top-5-cleaner-apps-that-help-users-to-clean-up-the-junk-from-android-smartphones-tablets.html

Just like DJofSD I use the free version (again not sure if there is a payment for android) cc cleaner. It is fast and does the job well. You can set a button to do a multitude of things to make your browser and system go faster and perform better.

Hope this helps.

Flysofree
05-08-2015, 04:46 PM
You can read some good products and reviews on here. It doesn't look like cc cleaner has a pay version for android but I'm not 100% sure.

http://www.techworm.net/2015/03/top-5-cleaner-apps-that-help-users-to-clean-up-the-junk-from-android-smartphones-tablets.html

Just like DJofSD I use the free version (again not sure if there is a payment for android) cc cleaner. It is fast and does the job well. You can set a button to do a multitude of things to make your browser and system go faster and perform better.

Hope this helps.

Thanks . I did find on Firfox an application that you can download which empties your "cache". I'm not sure what that means if it's a cousin to disk cleanup, but it's a very small download and works lightning fast. I will try to learn about diskcleanup and why the product that's installed on computer only works with Internet Explorer... Are temporary files part of "cache"? The lingo drives me up nuts, which wasn't too heard to begin with.

wilderness
05-09-2015, 06:23 AM
Thanks . I did find on Firfox an application that you can download which empties your "cache". I'm not sure what that means if it's a cousin to disk cleanup, but it's a very small download and works lightning fast. I will try to learn about diskcleanup and why the product that's installed on computer only works with Internet Explorer... Are temporary files part of "cache"? The lingo drives me up nuts, which wasn't too heard to begin with.

I still use XP (with a different version of Windows (or another browser) the path would like be different for the FF Cache.

C:\Documents and Settings\ComputerName\Local Settings\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\

There are multiple Cache directories/folders there. (FWIW, I use CC Cleaner and it never deleted these Cache files.)

DJofSD
05-09-2015, 10:15 AM
To repeat wilderness, there are multiple locations on you hard disk drive where different type of files are stored.

Some of those files are specific to Fire Fox and are generally found someplace within the folder structure used by Fire Fox. An example would be the history file which is a list of all the different internet locations you have been to using Fire Fox.

Other files are those which are temporary in nature and are generally found in the operating system temp (short for temporary) folder. The "rules" or the "intent" of files in the temp folder is anything found therein can be deleted at any time -- it's fair game to send them to that bit bucket in the sky.

That is not necessarily the same for Fire Fox files (say that 3 times fast). Things found in the cache folder and the history file are meant to be saved as a feature, a convenience or a way to assist you when using the browser, however, you may not want to leave that information laying around for different reasons.

A reason to remove the files from the cache is to ensure your browser shows you the newest version of everything found on a web page. If the web page appears to not have changed then the browser will use files found in the cache to render the web page. By cleaning out the cache, it forces the browser to fetch a copy of everything found on a page. This will take a little longer for the browser to render the page but it will then have the most up to date pieces of everything that goes into displaying the page.

So, if your concern is cleaning up files used by Fire Fox, you can use the built in Fire Fox tools to clean the cache, the history file and whatever else Mozilla will allow you to reset, along with using any browser extension which offers the function of tidying up.

However, what CCleaner will do is to remove not only the dregs from Fire Fox but it will clean up a whole host of other files from other apps (such as Internet Explorer, Windows Explorer, etc.) and the operating system itself. CCleaner is a one stop shopping experience and gives you both flexibility and thoroughness -- it allows you to run a much tidier ship.

Marshall Bennett
05-09-2015, 12:20 PM
Takes only a few moments to clean up all 3 browsers I use with CCleaner.
Just be careful you know what you're removing, you can lose a lot more than what you wanted to.

Canarsie
05-10-2015, 11:19 AM
It is quite rare that a piece of freeware or software receives such high praise here or on a tech board. CC Cleaner has earned the reward for doing an excellent job since it's inception.

It's nice to have something that you can depend on time after time. It just doesn't get mentioned that much because it eliminates many problems before they get out of control.

Hats off to Piriform to write a program that helps so many people with an app that can be adjusted to a person's expertise.

https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

whodoyoulike
05-10-2015, 04:51 PM
Okay, I've downloaded the ccleaner. How do you run it? I see two options Windows and Application. I clicked on Analyze and so far it's been running for 5 mins and shows 30%.

whodoyoulike
05-10-2015, 05:01 PM
Never mind, as soon as I submitted my previous post it finished just fine.

Thanks everyone for the tip.

DJofSD
05-11-2015, 12:00 AM
Click on "Registry" and run that too.

First step goes through the registry to locate all of the inconsistencies.

Second step is to save to a file all of the changes/deletions to be made in the next step. Leave the default location (your Documents folder) and file name as is.

Third step is to make all of the identified changes.

Repeat after any software updates or changes. Quiet often vendors only do a partial clean up of registry entries and that includes Microsoft.