View Full Version : The Killing

cj
05-06-2015, 02:22 PM
Tonight on TCM at 8 PM ET.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0049406/

FantasticDan
05-06-2015, 02:36 PM
A8-zkdLUd_E
Didn't Tom mastermind a similar plot at Finger Lakes in the mid '80s? :eek: :p :ThmbUp:

LottaKash
05-06-2015, 02:46 PM
I remember seeing that flick, at the movies, when I was 11yrs old.... :eek:

Tom
05-06-2015, 03:04 PM
Didn't Tom mastermind a similar plot at Finger Lakes in the mid '80s? :eek: :p :ThmbUp:

Now I have to watch this one tonight! :D

reckless
05-06-2015, 03:42 PM
Thanks FanDan for posting the trailer along with CJ for providing the link and heads up.

This is possibly one of the best movies ever made during Hollywood's film noir era. Don't miss it !

A few times here on PA OT-General there have been pro wrestling references.

One of the movie's co-conspirators is Kola Kwariani, who was a pro wrestler most famous for discovering and bringing to the USA the great 1950s superstar, Antonio (Argentina) Rocca, who easily became the biggest draw in the mat game at the time. Kola Kwariani was Rocca's manager in addition to being a world-class chess player.

In The Killing, Sterling Hayden's character recruits Kwariani into the scheme in the Chess and Checker Club in Manhattan. This was a real life chess club for serious chess enthusiasts. Kwariani's character is to start a brawl in the racetrack's bar to create a diversion at the time of the robbery.

In one of life's sad ironies, Kola Kwariani was murdered one night in front of the C & C Club in 1980.

Tom
05-06-2015, 03:51 PM
I remember Tony's manager from the old Friday Night Wrestling!
Didn't know it was this guy. Cool.

DJofSD
05-06-2015, 04:05 PM
Thanks, cj. Some how overlooked that one when I scanned the movies "at bat" on TCM last weekend.

Greyfox
05-09-2015, 08:13 PM
Thanks cj for posting that.

I recorded it the other evening and watched it today.
It was quite enjoyable.
Certainly it brought back memories of the old ticket wickets with different windows for every price of bet, the horses pulling the starting gate and I had forgotten that, the fedoras, the sleazy motels that were considered quite okay in those days, and the packed crowds at the track on race day.

Thank you.:ThmbUp:

Greyfox

lansdale
05-28-2015, 07:14 PM
Tonight on TCM at 8 PM ET.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0049406/
Hi cj,

Bumping this thread because I was surprised to find it here, but also, as a big Kubrick fan, surprised no mention of him. Although a bomb at the box office, this is the film that put the 27-year-old Kubrick on the Hollywood map - it had many notable admirers at the time, among them, Orson Welles, who called it the work of a 'young giant' - and Kirk Douglas, who agreed to star in Kubrick's next project, 'Paths of Glory' - and many today, including Quentin Tarantino, who admits he ripped off much of the film in making 'Reservoir Dogs' which echoes its non-linear structure.

I had the pleasure of meeting the movie's composer, Jerry Fried, through his son, some years back. Like Vince Edwards, he was a friend of Kubrick's and grew up with him in the same Bronx neighborhood, and presented a far less forbidding picture of the director than that usually associated with him.

Thanks for posting this.

JustRalph
05-28-2015, 10:17 PM
Too bad he soiled his career going out on "Eyes Wide Shut"

DJofSD
05-29-2015, 08:25 AM
What did you not like about it?

JustRalph
05-29-2015, 08:41 AM
What did you not like about it?

It was stupid...... can I just say that? :lol:

It was a vehicle to show Nicole naked. That was it...........

Fager Fan
05-29-2015, 11:02 AM

Ditto that. One of the worst movies ever. Basically an x-rated movie with a D plot (as compared to an F plot).

DJofSD
05-29-2015, 12:22 PM
Well, it's a movie dealing with sexuality but it seems neither could get past the sex.

thaskalos
05-29-2015, 01:02 PM

It wasn't that stupid, IMO. I've seen stupider movies...where I didn't even get to see Nicole naked.

castaway01
05-29-2015, 01:10 PM
Well, it's a movie dealing with sexuality but it seems neither could get past the sex.

It was over the top to the point of absurdity. Just an awful movie.

lansdale
05-29-2015, 01:46 PM
Wow - EWS? - that's a lot of thread drift. Maybe moderators will move this thread to OT. However, re JR's comments, I think it's safe to say that Kubrick's reputation as one of the best directors in film history seems to have emerged unscathed from his his distaste for EWS :-). De gustibus non est disputandem. FTR, since Kubrick died during post-production, it's still a subject of debate among film scholars whether the film is actually his - whether it's the film he intended to release, and it's usually regarded with an asterisk. Since Warners' had a substantial investment tied up in the film and a set release date, the film was completed by 'other hands' as they say - whether this was Steven Spielberg or Sydney Pollack, both close friends of the director, or someone else, remains unknown. It's still marred by the kind of minor imperfections - unmatched cuts, scenes with bad color timing etc., that the general audience ignores but film people notice and which the notoriously fanatical Kubrick would never have allowed in a final cut.

Re the film itself, which deals with the sexual angst of an upper-middle class NY married couple, it's a fairly faithful adaptation of a classic Schnitzler's novel, 'Traumnovelle' (Dream Novel) which, and the film seemed to polarize both critics and audiences upon release. Those who were bummed out by narrative confusion should have paid attention to the title - the story is taking place in a dream world, or at least not one with plausible boundaries, a la David Lynch. Re those who were offended by the nudity or sexual display, the film was 'R' rated - anyone can easily see much more graphic stuff on the internet 24/7. The 'orgy' scene was almost laughably tame. This and other scenes like it are lacking in the characteristic Kubrick bite and sense of tonal control, and it's impossible to ultimately know if this was due to failing talent or whether these scenes were finished by someone else.

For me, an interesting film, but not one of his best. For fans of Cruise/Kidman though, their scenes together are by far the strongest in the film and maybe worth streaming/renting on that basis.

DJofSD
05-29-2015, 02:12 PM
After the first time I watched the movie, I realized there was an element of fantasy both in terms of the dream by Nicole's character and then during the walk through as a part of the orgy. I then remembered this (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085297/?ref_=fn_al_tt_3) version of the Carmen story and recalled the ending of that movie where you were left wonder where did the fantasy and the reality begin and end.

I put "Eyes Wide Shut" on the list of movies that can be visited many times and each time you will think about it a little differently. Another recent movie I also put on that list is "No Country for Old Men."

Tom
05-29-2015, 02:46 PM

And that is a problem because.....:confused::cool:

Vince Bruun
05-29-2015, 05:01 PM
Stanley Kubrick directed multiple Grade 1 flicks in a brilliant 16-film career-- 2001: A Space Odyssey, Dr. Strangelove, Paths of Glory, The Shining, A Clockwork Orange, etc.

Eye Wide Shut was merely a good classified allowance picture. Not great, but certainly not one of the worst movies of all-time.

Fager Fan
05-29-2015, 09:19 PM
Stanley Kubrick directed multiple Grade 1 flicks in a brilliant 16-film career-- 2001: A Space Odyssey, Dr. Strangelove, Paths of Glory, The Shining, A Clockwork Orange, etc.

Eye Wide Shut was merely a good classified allowance picture. Not great, but certainly not one of the worst movies of all-time.

When I can't like either of the main characters, it's impossible for it to be anything but terrible for me.