PDA

View Full Version : Belmont Stakes Day

Tom
05-06-2015, 01:24 PM
Looks like free hats to the first 90,000 for the big day......

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/91830/nyra-to-cap-belmont-attendance-at-90000?source=rss

Pensacola Pete
05-06-2015, 01:57 PM
Never thought I'd see an attendance cap at Belmont.

classhandicapper
05-06-2015, 02:13 PM
IMO, this is a good idea. It will make everyone more comfortable coming, going, and being part of the event in case there is another Triple Crown try.

Kash$
05-06-2015, 02:15 PM
How much of this has to do with last years debacle?

Grits
05-06-2015, 02:32 PM
How much of this has to do with last years debacle?

Everything, along with the $200 price tag for my seat. :lol:

Maybe I'll get out of the parking lot sooner this year!!

Kash$
05-06-2015, 02:47 PM
Everything, along with the $200 price tag for my seat. :lol:

Maybe I'll get out of the parking lot sooner this year!!

I thought you were still there :lol: :lol:

biggestal99
05-07-2015, 08:59 AM
Never thought I'd see an attendance cap at Belmont.

Didn,t need one until the bean counters from new york state were in charge.

Then--getting home from belmont via lirr was a breeze

Now--its the ordeal to get on a lirr train

Allan

DeltaLover
05-07-2015, 09:34 AM
Looks like free hats to the first 90,000 for the big day......

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/91830/nyra-to-cap-belmont-attendance-at-90000?source=rss

A free hat is not enough for me to get me to the Belmont Stakes... I will stay at the Big A..

thespaah
05-07-2015, 08:49 PM
Probably not a bad idea. Seeing that there will probably be an additional 5,000 people at the event who do not pay to gain admission. Celebs, friends of employees, politicians and their friends and families, horsemen, their friends and families, etc.....

OTM Al
05-07-2015, 09:46 PM
Probably not a bad idea. Seeing that there will probably be an additional 5,000 people at the event who do not pay to gain admission. Celebs, friends of employees, politicians and their friends and families, horsemen, their friends and families, etc.....

NYS law says you either have credentials or you pay admission. Of all days it is definitely true that day. Even the politicians are supposed to pay to get in.

ronsmac
05-07-2015, 10:00 PM
If American Pharoah doesn't win the Preakness, Belmont won't have to worry about a cap on attendance.

BlueChip@DRF
05-07-2015, 10:44 PM
If American Pharoah doesn't win the Preakness, Belmont won't have to worry about a cap on attendance.

This. ^^^

This is the driving force behind The Belmont Stakes. American Pharaoh has to win The Preakness in order to make the Belmont mean something.

tanner12oz
05-08-2015, 06:23 AM
You think capping it makes people nervous they will get shutout in a tc bid and buy tix earlier so they are then committed whether AP wins or loses next week?

Saratoga_Mike
05-08-2015, 09:00 AM
NYS law says you either have credentials or you pay admission. Of all days it is definitely true that day. Even the politicians are supposed to pay to get in.

You typically have insight on NYRA - how will the cap work? If AP wins the Preak and the weather is nice, well over 90k will show up. Isn't this going to leave potentially 10k to 20k would-be race goers stranded outside the gates? I hope the LIRR is ready with trains headed back into Manhattan. Or will the LIRR coordinate things with the track and stop incoming service at some point?

OTM Al
05-08-2015, 09:16 AM
You typically have insight on NYRA - how will the cap work? If AP wins the Preak and the weather is nice, well over 90k will show up. Isn't this going to leave potentially 10k to 20k would-be race goers stranded outside the gates? I hope the LIRR is ready with trains headed back into Manhattan. Or will the LIRR coordinate things with the track and stop incoming service at some point?

Who knows? One would figure the inbound LIRR would be scheduled to end early enough that it wouldn't cause a problem. I have no idea how they will even decide that they are at 90,000 given how widely spaced entry areas are. Would they turn back ticket holders if too many people were already there? I can't believe they would do that. The people they most likely would end up pissing off would be those that drive in. Maybe they'll even move the dealer cars out of the lot this year.....But one must also figure the announcement of a cap would discourage people travelling from any distance from coming if they haven't already bought a much-more-expensive-than-last-year ticket.

It is a real shame that the inability to recognize issues last year has resulted in this. Somehow in years past they managed, but not too many people left from those days. I was chuckling about an article talking about hiring more parking staff. Guess they need it because they fired most everyone who used to work in that area. Last year they didn't even find it necessary to hold the planning meetings that they used to. I am still waiting to hear from the much vaunted CXO on anything, including their plans for a month from now. I'm hoping I'll get the chance to work there again this year despite all this, but not sure yet if that will happen. If not, I likely won't go TC bid or not.

aaron
05-08-2015, 10:12 AM
Who knows? One would figure the inbound LIRR would be scheduled to end early enough that it wouldn't cause a problem. I have no idea how they will even decide that they are at 90,000 given how widely spaced entry areas are. Would they turn back ticket holders if too many people were already there? I can't believe they would do that. The people they most likely would end up pissing off would be those that drive in. Maybe they'll even move the dealer cars out of the lot this year.....But one must also figure the announcement of a cap would discourage people travelling from any distance from coming if they haven't already bought a much-more-expensive-than-last-year ticket.

It is a real shame that the inability to recognize issues last year has resulted in this. Somehow in years past they managed, but not too many people left from those days. I was chuckling about an article talking about hiring more parking staff. Guess they need it because they fired most everyone who used to work in that area. Last year they didn't even find it necessary to hold the planning meetings that they used to. I am still waiting to hear from the much vaunted CXO on anything, including their plans for a month from now. I'm hoping I'll get the chance to work there again this year despite all this, but not sure yet if that will happen. If not, I likely won't go TC bid or not.
I haven't gone to the Belmont in the last 10 years,but went to about 25 straight before that and never had trouble getting in or out. I did arrive early,but leaving wasn't particularly difficult. I just got tired of going as the day became longer and longer. Why it so hard to get in and out now,I don't understand.Is it a combination of poor planning or are people just not knowing what they are doing ? The planning of large events seem to be impossible to do these days. I have been to many large events concerts,ball games,etc and have always been able to get out in a reasonable time.I guess this turmoil is another sign of the times.

Saratoga_Mike
05-08-2015, 10:19 AM
I haven't gone to the Belmont in the last 10 years,but went to about 25 straight before that and never had trouble getting in or out. I did arrive early,but leaving wasn't particularly difficult. I just got tired of going as the day became longer and longer. Why it so hard to get in and out now,I don't understand.Is it a combination of poor planning or are people just not knowing what they are doing ? The planning of large events seem to be impossible to do these days. I have been to many large events concerts,ball games,etc and have always been able to get out in a reasonable time.I guess this turmoil is another sign of the times.

There were issues with the LIRR last yr. People waited for hours to get on trains, and the exiting process was completely disorganized. I'm not sure why; I never had an issue in the past (even for the BB and FC Belmonts).

PaceAdvantage
05-08-2015, 10:42 AM
I thought last year was the most crowded I have had the pleasure to experience, and I've been to every single Belmont Stakes since Risen Star.

And I had no trouble getting out of the parking lot last year, believe it or not, and it wasn't like I waited an hour or two before I tried to leave...

Not sure why it was so easy for me...I always park in the lot that has the first Belmont exit on the Cross Island as you head north....

aaron
05-08-2015, 10:50 AM
I thought last year was the most crowded I have had the pleasure to experience, and I've been to every single Belmont Stakes since Risen Star.

And I had no trouble getting out of the parking lot last year, believe it or not, and it wasn't like I waited an hour or two before I tried to leave...

Not sure why it was so easy for me...I always park in the lot that has the first Belmont exit on the Cross Island as you head north....
I think people who know there way around Belmont have an easier time getting out. I can see a problem at night in the parking lot,if you don't know your way around.

Grits
05-08-2015, 11:33 AM
I think people who know there way around Belmont have an easier time getting out. I can see a problem at night in the parking lot,if you don't know your way around.

Aaron, I have no idea how PA got out so early last year. I park in the same lot, year after year, and too...know all the shortcuts, and back roads. Plainfield Ave heading to Floral Park? Blocked off. :mad: Still, last year it took over two hours to get out of the area and to a restaurant. Finished dinner at midnight. :faint:

thespaah
05-08-2015, 12:25 PM
No kidding.
I always though there would be ways to get in through 'connections'...
Oh well. I guess that's good though.
Been to Belmont for big events where 70k+ were on property. If one does not know the layout, it can be tough sledding

thespaah
05-08-2015, 12:27 PM

That's the Green parking field i believe.
Also where we always parked. Put us directly on the Cross Island Pky.

OTM Al
05-08-2015, 12:31 PM
No kidding.
I always though there would be ways to get in through 'connections'...
Oh well. I guess that's good though.
Been to Belmont for big events where 70k+ were on property. If one does not know the layout, it can be tough sledding

I'm sure there is on other days but on that day you still have to have a ticket or a credential, so that connection would need to get that for you.

PaceAdvantage
05-08-2015, 12:44 PM
That's the Green parking field i believe.
Also where we always parked. Put us directly on the Cross Island Pky.Yup...that's the one

Grits
05-08-2015, 12:53 PM
Don't think we were in the same place. I park out front abutting Hempstead Turnpike....the parking pass is added to that high dollar ticket. That, like Al said, went up a whole lot this year. :lol:

PaceAdvantage
05-08-2015, 12:55 PM
Don't think we were in the same place. I park out front abutting Hempstead Turnpike....the parking pass is added to that high dollar ticket. That, like Al said, went up a whole lot this year. :lol:That's your first mistake... :lol:

Trying to get out via Hempstead Tpke, I will agree, is a complete disaster on stakes day. I had to do it once or twice over the years...NOT pretty.

If exiting via the Cross Island is doable for you, then the aforementioned lot is usually a breeze compared to the horror stories told each year...

Grits
05-08-2015, 01:00 PM
Pay extra for the nice park, and then sit, cooling my heels for two hours. :lol:

PaceAdvantage
05-08-2015, 01:44 PM
If you get there 1.5-2 hours before post time, you should be able to get a decent spot in the green field...not much of a walk to the track...

If you get there an hour or less before first race post, and there is a TC on the line, you might have a much longer walk from the green field...but...no matter if you have to walk the length of the parking lot, it sure beats sitting for 2 hours waiting to get out...that's for sure.

Plus you save money on the parking pass...

Grits
05-08-2015, 01:57 PM
Already bought the pass....but was told this a.m. that I could park at a trainer's barn?? We'll see how that goes. ;)

Always there early Belmont Day, though my favorite day, is Friday before. It's the calm before the storm. In the paddock? Nice and quiet.

Still, let me jog your memory from last year, or was it the year before?

Going in, you turned around, and I was in line almost right behind you.

PaceAdvantage
05-08-2015, 02:06 PM
Actually, I think we bumped into each other as I was walking up to the Grandstand entrance...I think you were walking the opposite way, heading away from the entrance...that's what I remember anyway.

thespaah
05-08-2015, 03:38 PM
Aaron, I have no idea how PA got out so early last year. I park in the same lot, year after year, and too...know all the shortcuts, and back roads. Plainfield Ave heading to Floral Park? Blocked off. :mad: Still, last year it took over two hours to get out of the area and to a restaurant. Finished dinner at midnight. :faint:
They key is to wait for a while before attempting to drive out of the parking lot.
I know it's tough for some to do this.
With all the various big sporting events I've been to, I've learned to be patient for the going home part. And patience is not one of my strong points.

thespaah
05-08-2015, 03:47 PM
Don't think we were in the same place. I park out front abutting Hempstead Turnpike....the parking pass is added to that high dollar ticket. That, like Al said, went up a whole lot this year. :lol:
The Green Field parking lot is the best for anyone using the Cross Island Pky North towards the Triboro, Whitestone or Throgs Neck bridges. Also It gets you to the Northern State Pky and LIE for those heading points east.

Rex Phinney
05-08-2015, 06:28 PM
I feel very confident that I'll be watching the Belmont from my living room this year. Last year was quite an experience. I actually had a ton of problems but getting out of the parking lot at the end was not one of them.

Grits
05-08-2015, 10:21 PM
The Green Field parking lot is the best for anyone using the Cross Island Pky North towards the Triboro, Whitestone or Throgs Neck bridges. Also It gets you to the Northern State Pky and LIE for those heading points east.

Spaah, I wasn't trying to head west or south. I wasn't heading home...I don't leave NY until at least a couple of days after the Belmont. I just wanted to get a little way down Hempstead Turnpike and turn towards Floral Park to EAT. :lol:

tanner12oz
05-09-2015, 03:05 PM
I feel very confident that I'll be watching the Belmont from my living room this year. Last year was quite an experience. I actually had a ton of problems but getting out of the parking lot at the end was not one of them.

warm beer, running out of food drink, tote issues ALL DAY, cell service collapsing....i had no issues leaving either it was all the issues in between that made for an awful experience

thespaah
05-10-2015, 03:43 PM
Spaah, I wasn't trying to head west or south. I wasn't heading home...I don't leave NY until at least a couple of days after the Belmont. I just wanted to get a little way down Hempstead Turnpike and turn towards Floral Park to EAT. :lol:
Ahh...Holy crap!.....Ouch....