PDA

View Full Version : TimeFormUS upgrades-Speed!!

Kash$
05-05-2015, 01:23 PM
Holy smokes fast as shit...Few other upgrades

What’s New

Compatibility: Internet Explorer browser, version 9 or higher. To find out which version you’re currently using and upgrade, click here. (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/internet-explorer/which-version-am-i-using) We also continue to offer all other

Speed: The site’s architecture has been upgraded to give you up to 4 times faster performance. Or maybe 8 times. It’s just a lot faster.

Accuracy: The TimeformUS Speed Figure Scale has been better harmonized with the global Timeform scale. Click here to read more on this change. (http://timeformusblog.com/2015/05/05/timeformus-speed-figure-scale-alignment/)

Design: The site’s graphic design has been upgraded for high-resolution devices. Design will continue to be updated throughout May.

Just as in TimeformUS PPs, TimeformUS charts have been color-coded to reflect fast or slow fractions-
https://timeformus.files.wordpress.com/2015/05/screen-shot-2015-05-05-at-12-43-37-pm.png?w=640 (https://timeformus.files.wordpress.com/2015/05/screen-shot-2015-05-05-at-12-43-37-pm.png)

Just as in TimeformUS PPs, TimeformUS charts have been color-coded to reflect track biases, in the Race Rating box at the top-
https://timeformus.files.wordpress.com/2015/05/screen-shot-2015-05-05-at-12-42-26-pm.png?w=640 (https://timeformus.files.wordpress.com/2015/05/screen-shot-2015-05-05-at-12-42-26-pm.png)

Pace Projector has been abbreviated for a faster snapshot view, that you’ll see in the upper right corner of any Preview or PPs page. This snapshot will soon be updated with color coding for races that project to favor speed, or have a hot pace.

Log-in is required earlier to see some content, such as entries. Just log-in. You’ll be glad you did.

The “Upcoming” races function has been moved to right in the site’s top navigation.

Tell us what you see. Tell us what you think needs to be better. Email us at support@timeformus.com with all feedback.

cj
05-05-2015, 03:08 PM
Thanks for posting, it is really fast. Some other nice upgrades too as you note.

ReplayRandall
05-05-2015, 03:35 PM
Thanks for posting, it is really fast. Some other nice upgrades too as you note.
Finally CJ.....Difference of night and day.. :ThmbUp:..BTW, Happy Birthday.. :cool:

RXB
05-05-2015, 03:59 PM
Love how much faster things are loading, especially the charts.

I hope that they re-do some of their fonts and backgrounds. The default font size is smaller than before and things like black font on red background, green font on brown background, especially in small bold type are just terrible for reading.

therussmeister
05-05-2015, 05:09 PM
One of the main reasons I was not a customer was the speed. It was way too slow. Now I guess I'll have to give it another shot.

cnollfan
05-05-2015, 11:14 PM
Love how much faster things are loading, especially the charts.

I hope that they re-do some of their fonts and backgrounds. The default font size is smaller than before and things like black font on red background, green font on brown background, especially in small bold type are just terrible for reading.

Agree on all fronts. The speed of loading is nice, especially the charts. But it is MUCH harder to read. C'mon, guys, you know that the average age of racing fans is a zillion and we don't see so good these days...

cj
05-05-2015, 11:50 PM
Agree on all fronts. The speed of loading is nice, especially the charts. But it is MUCH harder to read. C'mon, guys, you know that the average age of racing fans is a zillion and we don't see so good these days...

Control and the plus button increases the font. I'm not young, don't really see much difference myself, but I'll ask. I've been testing this for a while so maybe I've just adjusted.

cnollfan
05-06-2015, 12:35 AM
Control and the plus button increases the font.

Thank you, CJ!!! I have been depressed for the last hour because I didn't know how I was going to be able to keep using TimeformUS. It was basically unreadable for me. Back in business now!

raybo
05-06-2015, 04:24 AM
Control and the plus button increases the font. I'm not young, don't really see much difference myself, but I'll ask. I've been testing this for a while so maybe I've just adjusted.

Not a user, but wouldn't 'Ctrl' and the scroll wheel on your mouse, or on a touchscreen, the 2 finger spread, do the same thing?

Kash$
05-06-2015, 06:46 AM
Just make the screen bigger,ive no trouble reading the fonts at as is..Great product

pandy
05-06-2015, 07:18 AM
On PABETS none of the Timeform stuff is working.

cj
05-06-2015, 12:37 PM
On PABETS none of the Timeform stuff is working.

It is being addressed.

RXB
05-06-2015, 01:19 PM
Just make the screen bigger,ive no trouble reading the fonts at as is..Great product

I can read it at the current default settings just fine where proper colour contrasts are used. Green type on brown, especially bolded numerals are tough (6 & 8 especially). Same with black font on red.

Zooming in is easy enough but then the number of running lines is reduced and more scrolling is required. And it doesn't change the fact that things like green-on-brown are not good if you want everyone to be able to view your content easily and accurately. Content without legibility isn't very useful.

gillenr
05-06-2015, 03:51 PM
In addition, the most common color-blindness is difficulty distinguishing between green and brown.

cj
05-06-2015, 03:56 PM
In addition, the most common color-blindness is difficulty distinguishing between green and brown.

How can a web site by friendly to those that are color blind? I really don't know, genuine question.

raybo
05-06-2015, 04:34 PM
I had have that problem often in my formatting in Excel. Some colors/shades just don't work well with others. I keep working on them until I get it acceptable to my "poor" eyes.

cj
05-06-2015, 04:41 PM
I had have that problem often in my formatting in Excel. Some colors/shades just don't work well with others. I keep working on them until I get it acceptable to my "poor" eyes.

Right, I totally understand that, but short of allowing customers to create customized settings themselves, I don't think it is possible to please everyone. I'm actually trying to learn more on this now via Google.

raybo
05-06-2015, 05:31 PM
Right, I totally understand that, but short of allowing customers to create customized settings themselves, I don't think it is possible to please everyone. I'm actually trying to learn more on this now via Google.

It would help if you had crappy vision! :lol:

gillenr
05-06-2015, 06:30 PM
green/brown color blindness does not mean you can't distinguish all colors, but they are the most common. Continue your googling & learn something.

RXB
05-06-2015, 07:49 PM
I know in my case, I'm not colour-blind, and my eyesight is reasonably good by 49-year-old standards. It's a matter of compatible colours, acceptable font sizes and making things as readable as possible for as many people as possible. If I have difficulty there will be plenty of others who have even more trouble. Potential new customers will open the free PP's for a given day, say "I can't read this very well" and never return.

Here's a colour compatibility/contrast tool; I've used it in the past for work and it's the one I used to show the green-on-brown test that I attached earlier in the thread.

http://snook.ca/technical/colour_contrast/colour.html#fg=33FF33,bg=333333

TFUS downsized two of the elements that house the worst colour combos: the speed figure box and the race ratings box. The bolded numerals are down to 8-point type size on the default setting which just worsens the situation. I'd have left those elements at their previous size; there were other places to free up space if that was the goal.

None of this is particularly difficult to address/change.

cnollfan
05-06-2015, 10:53 PM
TFUS downsized two of the elements that house the worst colour combos: the speed figure box and the race ratings box. The bolded numerals are down to 8-point type size on the default setting which just worsens the situation. I'd have left those elements at their previous size; there were other places to free up space if that was the goal.

Agree. I love TimeformUS, but not this aspect of the latest version.

dannyhill
05-07-2015, 12:16 AM
Purchasing through TVG the print all races option has disappeared.
Printing it was the only way i was able to look at the pp's with all the distracting colors and poor layout. IMO.
Any reason why the print full card option is no longer available?

NikeUnlimited
05-07-2015, 12:55 AM
Will the hot trainer/jockey stats be back? Before the update, it used to show stats like Doug O'Neill is 8 for his last 20 or whatever. I enjoyed those and found them useful. But those seem to be gone now.

cnollfan
05-07-2015, 10:50 AM
Will the hot trainer/jockey stats be back? Before the update, it used to show stats like Doug O'Neill is 8 for his last 20 or whatever. I enjoyed those and found them useful. But those seem to be gone now.

I am still getting hot/cold, e.g. Best By Far, 2nd at GG today, hot T/J combo.

Grits
05-07-2015, 11:14 AM
Purchasing through TVG the print all races option has disappeared.
Printing it was the only way i was able to look at the pp's with all the distracting colors and poor layout. IMO.
Any reason why the print full card option is no longer available?

I've not logged in for pps since Derby week, but I've never used the print full card option. However, I've used the print single race option...as it allows me to print each race with the adjusted fractions running lines.

I sure hope this option hasn't been eliminated. It would be disappointing.

cj
05-07-2015, 11:22 AM
I've not logged in for pps since Derby week, but I've never used the print full card option. However, I've used the print single race option...as it allows me to print each race with the adjusted fractions running lines.

I sure hope this option hasn't been eliminated. It would be disappointing.

It isn't, if not there now it will be soon.

Grits
05-07-2015, 11:28 AM
OK. Thanks. If you can, please make sure this, and the condensed pps, are both still in place for printing.

dannyhill
05-07-2015, 12:01 PM
Full card print has returned. Thank You
Single wasn't there but CJ mentioned it would be so am certain it will be.
Thanks again

dannyhill
05-07-2015, 12:12 PM
Is it just me or should the actual size of the pace figures be larger. I mean with as important as they are they are some of the smallest text on both the printed version and the online.

tanner12oz
05-07-2015, 08:00 PM
Windows phone will work now...yes!

ArlJim78
05-07-2015, 08:54 PM
Is there some secret on how to turn on all this blazing speed?
For whatever reason for me the new site is slower than ever.

cj
05-07-2015, 09:47 PM
Is there some secret on how to turn on all this blazing speed?
For whatever reason for me the new site is slower than ever.

Hmmm, haven't heard that one. Maybe just clean everything up, cookies, browser history, etc. and try again?

cj
05-07-2015, 11:17 PM
I've made some inquiries on fonts, colors, etc. I'll keep you guys posted. I don't know why some of the stuff was changed so I can't say one way or the other why it was done.

cj
05-08-2015, 09:41 AM
There will be improvements coming throughout the month, including the stuff mentioned in this thread.

dannyhill
05-08-2015, 10:30 AM
There will be improvements coming throughout the month, including the stuff mentioned in this thread.
Thank You

serp
05-08-2015, 10:38 AM
How can a web site by friendly to those that are color blind? I really don't know, genuine question.

You can add a title attribute to tags that are color coded. What this does is allow the user to mouseover that object and see text. So you can label each thing you want to indicate in an accessible way without breaking your design.

As a person who is a little more colorblind than people usually are I really appreciate when sites use this technique.

I do love your site btw.

GMB@BP
05-08-2015, 12:41 PM
It still seems to take me just as long to get into the race card but once in switching between the horses, and just the overall improvement to the layout makes it faster. Good changes.

cj
05-08-2015, 01:36 PM
It still seems to take me just as long to get into the race card but once in switching between the horses, and just the overall improvement to the layout makes it faster. Good changes.

That will improve in coming weeks, as will the overall speed. The tech is above my pay grade, but that is what I'm told.

PaceAdvantage
05-08-2015, 01:47 PM
It still seems to take me just as long to get into the race card but once in switching between the horses, and just the overall improvement to the layout makes it faster. Good changes.Yes, it seems the big speed improvement comes when switching between horses on the PP screen within a race...

Switching between race cards or switching from race to race within a card still seems to be the same speed

cj
05-08-2015, 01:59 PM
Yes, it seems the big speed improvement comes when switching between horses on the PP screen within a race...

Switching between race cards or switching from race to race within a card still seems to be the same speed

It is definitely faster than before, but compared to horse to horse it probably isn't noticeable. It will get better.

pandy
05-09-2015, 07:32 AM
PABETS working better, but still has bugs. When you open the pps, it doesn't display the races, cuts off the last few races at most of the tracks and there's no way to view them except on the condensed speed figure page.

For example, at Monmouth today, it just shows the first 7 races but there are 12 races. Wow, shortly after I wrote this, the last 5 races at Monmouth finally came through. Progress.

cnollfan
05-09-2015, 07:49 AM
For example, at Monmouth today, it just shows the first 7 races but there are 12 races.

On my laptop, the drop-down menu for any track only shows the first seven races, and doesn't include a slider bar to the right to scroll down for more. But if I click on Race 7 to open it, from there I can get to the remaining races.

cj
05-09-2015, 10:08 AM
I've forwarded these. When you guys have an issue, it would be helpful to mention the browser you are suing and the device (laptop, ipad, tablet, phone, etc.) It will help get it fixed faster.

cnollfan
05-09-2015, 10:51 AM
Laptop, Chrome.

Comments today from a friend of mine (I don't have browser/device info available):

First time that I have used Timeform since they made "improvements" and I am not impressed.

There used to be an obvious link to purchase PP's now I am guided to a "sign up" link that rejects me because "user name" is already taken.

cj
05-09-2015, 10:55 AM
Laptop, Chrome.

Comments today from a friend of mine (I don't have browser/device info available):

First time that I have used Timeform since they made "improvements" and I am not impressed.

There used to be an obvious link to purchase PP's now I am guided to a "sign up" link that rejects me because "user name" is already taken.

They see the problem, being worked on. I'd ask your friend to write directly to support@timeformus.com, can get answers faster (and better than mine!)

cnollfan
05-09-2015, 11:04 AM
support quit responding to my questions a couple days ago.

cj
05-09-2015, 11:11 AM
support quit responding to my questions a couple days ago.

I can promise you they have read your mails and are investigating them even if they don't respond.

Grits
05-09-2015, 11:37 AM
On my laptop, I clicked, just now, on today's free race, simply, to see what others are noting. It is noticeably slower, but moving between horses is much faster. I had no problem whatsoever logging in as my name/password is already saved at the new home page.

I wasn't buying the entire card; I can't handicap right now. Still, it downloaded the full card to my laptop.

Cj, the condensed pages downloaded without problem. The print "single race" icon/option is gone. This allowed me to print the card with your adjusted fractions instead of your pace figures. The full card doesn't.

Please, talk to them and bring it back. Adding it to the drop down menu, the option wouldn't take up space.

cj
05-09-2015, 11:44 AM
On my laptop, I clicked, just now, on today's free race, simply, to see what others are noting. It is noticeably slower, but moving between horses is much faster. I had no problem whatsoever logging in as my name/password is already saved at the new home page.

I wasn't buying the entire card; I can't handicap right now. Still, it downloaded the full card to my laptop.

Cj, the condensed pages downloaded without problem. The print "single race" icon/option is gone. This allowed me to print the card with your adjusted fractions instead of your pace figures. The full card doesn't.

Please, talk to them and bring it back. Adding it to the drop down menu, the option wouldn't take up space.

It will be back.

Tom
05-09-2015, 04:27 PM
It is faster and the print is much easier to read, but looks like the only option for charts is now the fractional times for each horse?
Used to be whatever you had the PPs set for.

cj
05-09-2015, 08:30 PM
It is faster and the print is much easier to read, but looks like the only option for charts is now the fractional times for each horse?
Used to be whatever you had the PPs set for.

There are some bugs in the charts for sure, being worked on. I use them extensively when working on the figures.

This was working, but I just checked and I'm stuck on Pace Figures (my usual setting) in the charts, no fractions, no matter what setting I apply in the PPs. Thanks for passing this on.

Grits
05-09-2015, 09:08 PM
I just had a really difficult time buying tomorrow's Belmont card--for the sole purpose of viewing any problems.

The date wouldn't drop down, it was covered by the track finder. It took a good while for me to finally get the card. I couldn't increase the size of the Pace Projector as I was able to do on my laptop. But worst of all, there are no condensed figure pages. None. Of course, they're all on the preview page, but not as seen earlier on my laptop and my pc. My Ipad is not old, there shouldn't be this much conflict.

Again, I'm not handicapping tomorrow, just as I wasn't today. I don't feel well. I only wanted to see how the site was responding. Hopefully, all this will be worked out sometime soon. Thanks to those who are trying to fix things.

EDIT to add. On my laptop, I click on print the drop down menu shows full card or condensed mode. On my Ipad, when clicking on print, there's no drop down at all. No full card. No condensed.

Grits
05-09-2015, 09:53 PM
The fine print. But this doesn't only have to do with printing, in that viewing condensed isn't possible either. This is difficult given there's no problem downloading pdf files from Bris to Ipads, anytime, and marking all over them. So, why the problem with TFUS' upgrade?

Have a good night, gentlemen. I'm cooked. :(

Printing:

Full card PDFs print out pace figures (rather than fractions); it has always been that way.
The single race printouts will print the fractions if you set preferences that way. Single card printing will not be available until next week.
You may run into issues attempting to access PDFs from certain tablets like older model iPads.
Customers can email us tracks they need PDFs for and we will provide them.

ultracapper
05-10-2015, 02:08 PM
If all the different aspects of horseracing had one representative on this board as TFUS has CJ here, the industry would move forward and become customer friendly. Each state racing board should have a rep monitor this board regularly to see what the gambler, the real engine that stokes this industry, is thinking. TFUS will simply be the best product in the industry because they are responsive to the customer's input. Is it really that hard to monitor the customer? This thread is a case study on how horse racing could move forward in the future.

Didn't mean to get off track. I was just impressed with the way this thread was unfolding.

pandy
05-10-2015, 02:24 PM
Good point.

RXB
05-10-2015, 03:55 PM
If all the different aspects of horseracing had one representative on this board as TFUS has CJ here, the industry would move forward and become customer friendly... This thread is a case study on how horse racing could move forward in the future.

It's good of him to help out, he's paid to make figures rather than be a customer service rep.

If this is a case study, however, frankly I'd have to say that this is a case study of a company releasing a late-stage beta product rather than one that was genuinely ready for public release to paying customers. I'm running into glitches all over the place.

raybo
05-10-2015, 04:09 PM
It's good of him to help out, he's paid to make figures rather than be a customer service rep.

If this is a case study, however, frankly I'd have to say that this is a case study of a company releasing a late-stage beta product rather than one that was genuinely ready for public release to paying customers. I'm running into glitches all over the place.

When you take your customers seriously, and actively investigate each user's wishes and wants, IMO, you are never finished, you're always in a state of beta testing. They could have chosen to release it the way it was originally designed, fixed any bugs that popped up, and stopped right there. Instead, they are trying to give the customers what they want. :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

RXB
05-10-2015, 04:16 PM
When you take your customers seriously, and actively investigate each user's wishes and wants, IMO, you are never finished, you're always in a state of beta testing. They could have chosen to release it the way it was originally designed, fixed any bugs that popped up, and stopped right there. Instead, they are trying to give the customers what they want. :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

There have been several issues that I haven't documented in this thread of things that have nothing to do with personal tastes-- missing/unavailable information, inoperational features, repeatedly getting an error screen and having to logout and then login again, etc.

raybo
05-10-2015, 04:25 PM
There have been several issues that I haven't documented in this thread of things that have nothing to do with personal tastes-- missing/unavailable information, inoperational features, repeatedly getting an error screen and having to logout and then login again, etc.

That stuff may well be on your end, others here have said that things were working fine for them until this latest upgrade.

RXB
05-10-2015, 04:26 PM
That stuff may well be on your end, others here have said that things were working fine for them until this latest upgrade.

That's what I'm talking about; this latest upgrade. It wasn't tested quite well enough.

cj
05-10-2015, 06:54 PM
That's what I'm talking about; this latest upgrade. It wasn't tested quite well enough.

You are right, it could have been done better. The only excuse is we are a small team and there are thousands of combinations of settings, browsers, and platforms (phone, computer, tablet, Ipad) that it just wassn't possible. We tried, and we're addressing things as fast as possible. I think within a week nearly all of this stuff will be finished.

I certainly hope so not only as a TimeformUS employee, but as a bettor and somebody that uses the product to help make the figures as well. We hope the improved speed at least offsets some of the issues, and definitely think it was important to get the alignment we did with the Timeform figures out there as soon as possible. We didn't want to keep doing adjustments like we did for the UAE horse for the Derby (which worked out well).

Apologies are the best we can offer (and refunds when warranted), and the promise that none of this is taken lightly and our small team is working nearly around the clock to get everything back working like before, only much faster.

Longshot
05-10-2015, 07:03 PM
CJ in regard to the update in Timeform vs TimeformUS Speed Figures
as stated below on the TimeformUS website. Just so I'm clear you are converting the Euro Timeform Ratings to TimeformUs and not the Euro Racing Post Ratings that are now found in the DRF for Euro horses. Am I correct in
how I read this?

" A study of Timeform ratings versus TimeformUS Speed Figures was conducted to assess how the two aligned with each other. The study covered 2004-2015 (year to date), with distance, surface and class all under consideration. The goal is to have horses shipping to North America earn TimeformUS numbers that match the level of the Timeform ratings they were earning overseas. While meeting this goal requires ongoing care, we believe today’s alignment will make our product more harmonious with Timeform’s Global Ratings–offering our customers a distinct edge when horses ship in to race from overseas."

cj
05-10-2015, 07:14 PM
CJ in regard to the update in Timeform vs TimeformUS Speed Figures
as stated below on the TimeformUS website. Just so I'm clear you are converting the Euro Timeform Ratings to TimeformUs and not the Euro Racing Post Ratings that are now found in the DRF for Euro horses. Am I correct in
how I read this?

" A study of Timeform ratings versus TimeformUS Speed Figures was conducted to assess how the two aligned with each other. The study covered 2004-2015 (year to date), with distance, surface and class all under consideration. The goal is to have horses shipping to North America earn TimeformUS numbers that match the level of the Timeform ratings they were earning overseas. While meeting this goal requires ongoing care, we believe today’s alignment will make our product more harmonious with Timeform’s Global Ratings–offering our customers a distinct edge when horses ship in to race from overseas."

We have nothing to do with Racing Post, just Timeform. They are competitors.

As for the ratings, we are not converting the Timeform ratings except in one way...we don't include weight for age as they do. It can be a bit confusing and I can give more detail if interested, but otherwise we just reprint the Timeform ratings. The adjustment was to get our figures to line up better with the Timeform ratings. It really doesn't change comparisons between North American horses, the ratings are just now higher.

redshift1
05-11-2015, 04:30 PM
Will there be a Timeform Preakness Package ? No mention on the site yet.

cj
05-11-2015, 04:33 PM
Will there be a Timeform Preakness Package ? No mention on the site yet.

No, we didn't feel there is enough to charge people extra money, but we will have plenty of free content.

Exotic1
05-11-2015, 05:15 PM
Cj,

Regarding the Scale Alignment..

I may have missed a comment about this.

Q.The alignment factor was applied to all historical ratings, so that the user doesn't have to be mindful of any cut-off date of old system vs. new system, correct?

cj
05-11-2015, 05:24 PM
Yes, that is correct.

cj
05-13-2015, 12:03 PM
Last big thing is the single race print, still a couple very minor chart bugs, but there is a lot of improvement the past few days.

dannyhill
05-13-2015, 12:25 PM
CJ any hope at all of getting a print option in you're old Pace Figures format?
The layout of the current product is different and difficult to read. Not to mention all the confusing and eye grabbing colors.
No doubt in my mind a print option in the old format would increase business.
Thank You

cj
05-13-2015, 12:30 PM
CJ any hope at all of getting a print option in you're old Pace Figures format?
The layout of the current product is different and difficult to read. Not to mention all the confusing and eye grabbing colors.
No doubt in my mind a print option in the old format would increase business.
Thank You

I don't see that happening any time soon.

dannyhill
05-13-2015, 01:07 PM
I don't see that happening any time soon.
That's unfortunate. This new product can be harder to visually look at for experienced or long time players. It has such a different and confusing look IMO. Don't understand the need for all the colors, they are just flat out distracting. We understand them wanting to attract a newer or younger audience and wanting to have a very different PP, but don't understand management's decision to somewhat forget the older or experienced audience. The drastic visual changes are extreme.

Love the product but hate the layout and the colors.
Oh well, back to Pizzola for our performance data.

Thank You

o_crunk
05-13-2015, 01:16 PM
That's unfortunate. This new product can be harder to visually look at for experienced or long time players. It has such a different and confusing look IMO. Don't understand the need for all the colors, they are just flat out distracting. We understand them wanting to attract a newer or younger audience and wanting to have a very different PP, but don't understand management's decision to somewhat forget the older or experienced audience. The drastic visual changes are extreme.

Love the product but hate the layout and the colors.
Oh well, back to Pizzola for our performance data.

Thank You

Just would like to suggest one thing.

If you are using XP. Make sure your have clear type fonts enabled by default.

You can try this locally on your machine, which will fix this issue across all websites, not just ours.

Chrome is reading your ClearType setting which on Windows XP is switched off by default.

To fix the issue, first close the Chrome browser.

Now right-click anywhere on the desktop and select 'Properties' from the drop-down menu.

Click on the 'Appearance' tab found along the top on the new window.

And click on the 'Effects' button.

The second option down should read, "Use the following method to smooth edges of screen fonts."

Select the "ClearType" option.

Click Apply & Re-open your Chrome browser.

From now on Chrome will render your fonts nicely anti-aliased for that smooth effect.

--

Some people think the new site is cleaner to read others do not. I understand both sides of the argument and hear both sides of the argument. We will continue to work on improving the readability for as many OS and browser combinations as we can. For now, the site performs better on Chrome on pretty much all machines we've tested on. And the readability is better on Chrome too.

dannyhill
05-13-2015, 01:23 PM
Just would like to suggest one thing.

If you are using XP. Make sure your have clear type fonts enabled by default.

You can try this locally on your machine, which will fix this issue across all websites, not just ours.

Chrome is reading your ClearType setting which on Windows XP is switched off by default.

To fix the issue, first close the Chrome browser.

Now right-click anywhere on the desktop and select 'Properties' from the drop-down menu.

Click on the 'Appearance' tab found along the top on the new window.

And click on the 'Effects' button.

The second option down should read, "Use the following method to smooth edges of screen fonts."

Select the "ClearType" option.

Click Apply & Re-open your Chrome browser.

From now on Chrome will render your fonts nicely anti-aliased for that smooth effect.

--

Some people think the new site is cleaner to read others do not. I understand both sides of the argument and hear both sides of the argument. We will continue to work on improving the readability for as many OS and browser combinations as we can. For now, the site performs better on Chrome on pretty much all machines we've tested on. And the readability is better on Chrome too.
Thanks, i use firefox and print the full cards cause that is the only way i can attempt to view the pp's. Will try chrome out of curiosity.

o_crunk
05-13-2015, 01:26 PM
Thanks, i use firefox and print the full cards cause that is the only way i can attempt to view the pp's. Had downloaded several cards today and just saw the print full card function is gone again. Guessing this is so work can be done but if so, do it at night or on Monday's.
Useless for me without the full card print function.
Oh well guys and best of luck.

Print options are only available for final cards at the moment and they are available an hour or two after the cards go final.

If you give me a specific example I can fix it. But AFAIK, all condensed and full cards should be generated as of now (of course, this will change as data comes in this afternoon).

dannyhill
05-13-2015, 01:27 PM
Print options are only available for final cards at the moment and they are available an hour or two after the cards go final.

If you give me a specific example I can fix it. But AFAIK, all condensed and full cards should be generated as of now (of course, this will change as data comes in this afternoon).
Thanks, 10 minutes after i checked they were back up LOL.

ArlJim78
05-13-2015, 08:54 PM
Okay now I'm finally seeing the blazing speed. Maybe it was the windows update last night but it's very noticeably quicker now paging through races and horses.

GMB@BP
05-14-2015, 03:16 PM
So on the print mode, and this might not be a new issue, when you print full card you only get horses figures even if your settings are for leaders figures?

Tom
05-14-2015, 03:58 PM
That has been my case so far, unless it just changed.

cj
05-14-2015, 04:30 PM
So on the print mode, and this might not be a new issue, when you print full card you only get horses figures even if your settings are for leaders figures?

I'll ask.

cj
05-14-2015, 04:38 PM
All full card printing has been this horse/pace figs since the beginning.

We're working on single race pdf and we're hoping to finish it and push tonight. So users can print single races with whatever their prefs are.

There you go.

Personally, I'm done with PDFs with the new speed boost.

pandy
05-14-2015, 04:56 PM
Is there anyplace that shows the speed figures without the pace adjustment? The basic speed figure?

cj
05-14-2015, 04:57 PM
Yes, the figure under the finish position, but you have to have it set to horse figures, not race.

PaceAdvantage
05-14-2015, 10:37 PM
The speed boost for the ENTIRE SITE is now complete it seems. Everything is moving wicked fast...congrats on getting that done...the slow speed of the past was a major drag...

cnollfan
05-14-2015, 10:42 PM
There is a snag with the workouts. The horse's most recent race appears as just a line across the workout page. Previous races on the workout tab appear with date, track, finish position and Timeform fig.

cj
05-15-2015, 11:56 AM
There is a snag with the workouts. The horse's most recent race appears as just a line across the workout page. Previous races on the workout tab appear with date, track, finish position and Timeform fig.

I've passed this on, thanks.

OK, not really a bug, the line is meant to indicate the last race, but it would be clearer if the line was just the race date like the others, we agree. In the works...

cj
05-15-2015, 12:09 PM
The speed boost for the ENTIRE SITE is now complete it seems. Everything is moving wicked fast...congrats on getting that done...the slow speed of the past was a major drag...

Yeah, don't think it can get much faster, pretty much instantaneous.

The Pace Projector in preview mode now shows "Fast Pace" and "Favors Early" via the color of the "See Details" box. Single race printing is now available, and these display user preferences, not generic like Full Card Printing. A couple small bugs in the charts were fixed.

GMB@BP
05-15-2015, 01:46 PM
Yeah, don't think it can get much faster, pretty much instantaneous.

The Pace Projector in preview mode now shows "Fast Pace" and "Favors Early" via the color of the "See Details" box. Single race printing is now available, and these display user preferences, not generic like Full Card Printing. A couple small bugs in the charts were fixed.

I agree its very fast...good work.

Trips
05-15-2015, 04:30 PM
Noticed the new single race print and it is has a cleaner look. Hope the full race print will have the same new look.

cnollfan
05-16-2015, 12:05 AM
The Pace Projector in preview mode now shows "Fast Pace" and "Favors Early" via the color of the "See Details" box.

This is a nice feature. Eliminating the extra click to see the fast/slow pace projection is a time-saver.

pandy
05-21-2015, 09:10 AM
Elements of the TimeformUS Speed Figures

1) Pace Figures: We create accurate pace figures on all surfaces. Calculated via a combination of intensive database testing and daily manual inspection, our pace figures are presented on a coherent, easy-to-read scale that allows the reader to compare, say, the horse’s variant-adjusted opening 1/4 to his variant-adjusted opening 1/2, and compare either (or both) of these to his variant-adjusted final time, secure in the knowledge that what he is seeing is interchangeable from track to track.

2) Final Time Figures: Final-time figures made by hand and made in a pure manner that keeps them uninfected by pace adjustments.

I think CJ said that the raw final time speed figure (number 2) that is uninfected by pace adjustments is available but I can't find it.

cj
05-21-2015, 09:26 AM
Elements of the TimeformUS Speed Figures

1) Pace Figures: We create accurate pace figures on all surfaces. Calculated via a combination of intensive database testing and daily manual inspection, our pace figures are presented on a coherent, easy-to-read scale that allows the reader to compare, say, the horse’s variant-adjusted opening 1/4 to his variant-adjusted opening 1/2, and compare either (or both) of these to his variant-adjusted final time, secure in the knowledge that what he is seeing is interchangeable from track to track.

2) Final Time Figures: Final-time figures made by hand and made in a pure manner that keeps them uninfected by pace adjustments.

I think CJ said that the raw final time speed figure (number 2) that is uninfected by pace adjustments is available but I can't find it.

First, you have to click in the area where the Fractions or Pace Figures are displayed to see the figures instead of the times. I personally use the figures for the race, so you see those of the leader/winner. To see the figures for the horse, you have to selecet "This Horses" instead of "Leader." Here is an image, the top is my setting, the bottom is the same horse but with "This Horse" selected.

Note in the first race, the 106 stays that same at the finish because the horse finished first, but not so in the next two races.

pandy
05-21-2015, 09:31 AM
Now I got it, thanks.

cnollfan
05-23-2015, 10:53 AM
This morning my Timeform entries are light blue on a dark blue background, and if I have clicked on a horse and go back to to the entries it is light purple on blue. C'mon, guys, this is totally unreadable!!

cj
05-23-2015, 11:53 AM
This morning my Timeform entries are light blue on a dark blue background, and if I have clicked on a horse and go back to to the entries it is light purple on blue. C'mon, guys, this is totally unreadable!!

Browser and device? I'll forward on.

cnollfan
05-23-2015, 12:18 PM
Browser and device? I'll forward on.

Laptop, Google Chrome. Thanks.

cj
05-23-2015, 12:51 PM
Laptop, Google Chrome. Thanks.

I'm using same, can't get it to replicate the colors you are seeing, but I did pass this along to the tech team and they can't see it either. We don't use purple anywhere.

Any chance you can post a screenshot?

cnollfan
05-23-2015, 12:59 PM
I'm using same, can't get it to replicate the colors you are seeing, but I did pass this along to the tech team and they can't see it either. We don't use purple anywhere.

Any chance you can post a screenshot?

It's fixed, thanks. Support suggested I clear cache and restart browser. Looking good!

cj
05-23-2015, 01:02 PM
It's fixed, thanks. Support suggested I clear cache and restart browser. Looking good!

Awesome, thanks for letting me know.

Moto Pete
05-24-2015, 04:00 PM
I have 2 complaints. The pedigree page was perfect in it's simplicity. I could see in an instant the best and worst distances and surfaces the horse was bred for. It was one easy to read top to bottom graph. Now it's broken up in to 3 separate sections that you have to look at individually. It's minor but as I'm clicking from page to page I now have to stop for a few seconds to take in what I used to see instantly.

The other issue I have is the charts. In the old format if a horse in todays race was in the race chart I'm looking up it would be in red. Now they are not. This is more than a minor inconvenience. It's downright annoying. I don''t memorize names, I only know numbers when I'm capping a race.

cj
05-24-2015, 04:19 PM
I have 2 complaints. The pedigree page was perfect in it's simplicity. I could see in an instant the best and worst distances and surfaces the horse was bred for. It was one easy to read top to bottom graph. Now it's broken up in to 3 separate sections that you have to look at individually. It's minor but as I'm clicking from page to page I now have to stop for a few seconds to take in what I used to see instantly.

The other issue I have is the charts. In the old format if a horse in todays race was in the race chart I'm looking up it would be in red. Now they are not. This is more than a minor inconvenience. It's downright annoying. I don''t memorize names, I only know numbers when I'm capping a race.

I really don't remember how the Breeding looked before, but isn't it pretty much the same? Maybe just the little slider was added for each rating?

The charts are still being updated, pretty sure the red is coming back, but I'll check and get to this thread.

Moto Pete
05-25-2015, 01:21 PM
I've read a lot on this thread about the speed, or lack of it of the website. I never have had a problem with going from page to page quickly. The new pedigree page slows me down. Now I have to look at 3 separate boxes instead of one top to bottom vertical graph. Like I said, it's a minor issue but a step backwards as far as I'm concerned. Maybe it's because I go from pedigree to charts a lot and when I first tried the new version I got hit with back to back negatives. I went to pedigree and said to myself, this sucks, then I go to charts and don't see red anymore.

mistergee
06-01-2015, 05:23 PM
in regard to the pace advantage "box". I notice that many times there is a horse with a clear pace advantage on your own figures but the race is not shown as "favors frontrunners". Then many other times there will be 2 or 3 horses with similar fast early pace figures who look to possibly be all together early up front and it will show "favors frontrunners". Is there an explanation for when favors closers or favors front is used. Im not figuring it out based on these examples

cj
06-01-2015, 05:44 PM
in regard to the pace advantage "box". I notice that many times there is a horse with a clear pace advantage on your own figures but the race is not shown as "favors frontrunners". Then many other times there will be 2 or 3 horses with similar fast early pace figures who look to possibly be all together early up front and it will show "favors frontrunners". Is there an explanation for when favors closers or favors front is used. Im not figuring it out based on these examples

It isn't just the numbers, it is the running style. Often times when you see horses bunched on the front it is because there isn't a lot of speed in the race. If you check the running styles, they probably aren't listed as "Leader" and "Speed" types.

If you see horses bunched together with those running styles, it will almost always say "Fast Pace."

Pensacola Pete
06-02-2015, 03:04 AM
With three major and many minor browsers for Windows alone, tens of thousands different extensions/addons (i.e. screen re-sizers, font-adjusters, layout-adjusters) that could alter things, security software that could block elements on the site, etc., there are going to be issues for some users.

A suggestion for users with color deficiency ("color blindness", which I fortunately don't have): both Chrome and Firefox have extensions for those with color deficiency problems.

Chrome's is here:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/color-enhancer/ipkjmjaledkapilfdigkgfmpekpfnkih

One for Firefox is is here:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/colorblindext/

cj
06-04-2015, 03:21 PM
http://timeformusblog.com/2015/06/03/transparency-in-timeformus-speed-figures-question-marks-introduced-for-suspect-numbers/

Tom
06-04-2015, 06:56 PM
EXCELLENT addition. :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

Trips
06-06-2015, 03:16 PM
CJ, Belmont race 8 #3 Discreet Marq how are the pace numbers as high as they are in a 26-50.8 pace where they absolutely flew late. Early pace numbers are 122-122 with a final of 119.
They absolutely crawled early and sprinted home.
I checked the race fractions and Timeform lists them the same way so it's not a mistiming.

cj
06-06-2015, 03:25 PM
CJ, Belmont race 8 #3 Discreet Marq how are the pace numbers as high as they are in a 26-50.8 pace where they absolutely flew late. Early pace numbers are 122-122 with a final of 119.
I checked the race fractions and Timeform lists them the same way so it's not a mistiming.

I'll have to look into it, I don't know this stuff off the top of my head, but I will get back to you. That is basically an even race pace wise, not slow or fast early. Those numbers are based on the average for the track, surface, and distance.

cj
06-06-2015, 03:33 PM
Mike Beer is absolutely killing it this weekend, particularly with his betting strategy selections in the Belmont Stakes package. He showed a nice profit yesterday, and today is off the charts good. Here were his recommendations for Race 7:

Small
$5 Win #6 Curalina
$2 exacta key box: #6 Curalina with #'s 1, 2, 3, 5, 8.
Medium
$10 Win #6 Curalina
$3 exacta key box: #6 Curalina with #'s 1, 2, 3, 5, 8.
$1 Trifecta: 1,6,8 with 1,6,8 with 1,2,3,5,6,8,9
Large
$25 Win #6 Curalina
$5 exacta key box: #6 Curalina with #'s 1, 2, 3, 5, 8.
$2 Trifecta: 1,6,8 with 1,6,8 with 1,2,3,5,6,8,9

The 6 paid $16.40 and the exacta paid $366 per $2.

He also recommended win bets on Wedding Toast and Channel Marker earlier on the card.

JustRalph
06-06-2015, 03:35 PM
so, are you going to hire me now? :lol:

Tom
06-06-2015, 03:36 PM
The condensed figs have already ensured me a Cowboy rib tonight - one more winner and Porterhouse is on the menu!

Kash$
06-06-2015, 03:44 PM
Mike Beer is absolutely killing it this weekend, particularly with his betting strategy selections in the Belmont Stakes package. He showed a nice profit yesterday, and today is off the charts good. Here were his recommendations for Race 7:

The 6 paid $16.40 and the exacta paid $366 per $2.

He also recommended win bets on Wedding Toast and Channel Marker earlier on the card.

CJ he had By The Moon last year at a huge price

RXB
06-06-2015, 03:56 PM

As is so frequently the case in Belmont's 8.5f turf races, the timing of that race was an absolute joke.

cj
06-06-2015, 03:57 PM
As is so frequently the case in Belmont's 8.5f turf races, the timing of that race was an absolute joke.

That was my thought, I probably did some "personal timing" for that one, but I don't remember for sure and no time to really dig through notes today.

cj
06-06-2015, 05:01 PM
More from Beer today:

Small
$10 win #9 Honor Code at 5-1 or better.
$5 exacta box 4-9
Medium
$10 win #9 Honor Code at 5-1 or better.
$5 exacta box 4-9
$5 exacta 9 over 5, 6
$1 pick 3: 4,6,9 with 2,4,5,9 with 6,8
Large
$50 win #9 Honor Code at 5-1 or better.
$20 exacta box 4-9
$5 exacta 9 over 5, 6
$5 pick 3: 4,6,9 with 2,4,5,9 with 6,8

$16.20 to win, $54 exacta.

Trips
06-06-2015, 05:31 PM
CJ Belmont Race 10 the #2 and #4 finished a neck apart but their final numbers are 3 points apart. Not the adjusted performance number. Just the final race fig. 121 and 124
Just so you know.
Thanks

cj
06-06-2015, 05:38 PM
CJ Belmont Race 10 the #2 and #4 finished a neck apart but their final numbers are 3 points apart. Not the adjusted performance number. Just the final race fig. 121 and 124
Just so you know.
Thanks

Weight is factored in, assuming you have it on.

Trips
06-06-2015, 05:41 PM
Just checked they both carried 115.

cj
06-06-2015, 05:56 PM
Just checked they both carried 115.

The carried different today, figures are adjusted by weight that day and weight today, which was not the same.

Trips
06-06-2015, 06:30 PM
The carried different today, figures are adjusted by weight that day and weight today, which was not the same.
Thank You

cj
06-06-2015, 06:36 PM
Thank You

No problem, can give more detail later, busy day :)

JustRalph
06-06-2015, 06:45 PM

Could have sworn you "retired" a few years back....... :lol:

Trips
06-06-2015, 07:02 PM
Tennis? :)

cj
06-06-2015, 07:08 PM
Tennis? :)

I actually sat out a make up match today and we lost 3-2, but I'm ok with it.

cj
06-06-2015, 08:22 PM
Finished up with Green Gratto as a standout on our product, 8-1.

ArlJim78
06-06-2015, 08:27 PM
I have to say, using TFUS today made me money. I didn't hit my vertical wagers on the Belmont but had two of the late pick 3's pretty good and the late pick 4. :ThmbUp:

thelyingthief
06-06-2015, 08:34 PM
are the pace variants algorithmically extracted from the final time, or are they individually developed (by fraction)?

what files are available after a race-day -- that is, in six years, if performing a longitudinal study, will I be able to open a file and extract the required material, and database it?

how are the results charts different from, say, DRF or BRIS? Are they csv? if not, have you an reg. express.templateAm I purchasing the charts as part of my monthly fee, or is that a surcharge?

thanks,
tlt

Secondbest
06-06-2015, 08:41 PM
Finished up with Green Gratto as a standout on our product, 8-1.
I'm curious How many winners did you have on top?

cj
06-07-2015, 01:10 AM
I'm curious How many winners did you have on top?

Me, as in personally?

MarcAtTimeformUS
06-07-2015, 09:52 AM
If anyone wants to see the work from yesterday, here you go. Team effort in support of Mike:

Part 2 of the Belmont Stakes Package is ready, just click this link. It includes complete wagering strategies for Saturday Stakes, adjusted for scratches:

http://horseracingnation.ontraport.net/d/JustTheBets.pdf

*Part 1 of the The Package, which includes the analysis is right here, just click this link. It includes Stakes Previews for Saturday:

http://horseracingnation.ontraport.net/d/TFUSBelmont2015PackagePart1.pdf

Secondbest
06-07-2015, 12:10 PM
You guys did great.On Saturday I counted 4 winners for 62.50 for 16 betting 2 win on the top pick.That's 4 for 8 .Friday 1for 3 or 2for 4 also profitable.I like to pick my own horses but I think you sold me.I do use tfus on occasion but mainly for turf