PDA

View Full Version : Firing Line on left lead entire stretch

Kash$
05-04-2015, 09:30 AM
Read where FL was on his left lead the entire stretch.May have cost him the race?
Fl is one tough sob brings it on race day.Dont think he wins Preakness but i could see him winning the Belmont.

upthecreek
05-04-2015, 09:53 AM
Read where FL was on his left lead the entire stretch.May have cost him the race?
Fl is one tough sob brings it on race day.Dont think he wins Preakness but i could see him winning the Belmont.

I mentioned it in another thread-it was pointed out to me by ECHR Apparently no one on the NBC telecast noticed it

BlueChip@DRF
05-04-2015, 10:24 AM
It could be his natural lead - just like Alydar. However, the U.S. seems to be the only country enamored with the "correct lead" as much as they are enamored with Lasix. You don't see any other country being anal about a horse being on a specific lead.

upthecreek
05-04-2015, 11:20 AM
It could be his natural lead - just like Alydar. However, the U.S. seems to be the only country enamored with the "correct lead" as much as they are enamored with Lasix. You don't see any other country being anal about a horse being on a specific lead.
The so called experts on TVG think its important,especially the Sarge & Simon

nads1420
05-04-2015, 12:14 PM
Why is it important to switch leads?

Greyfox
05-04-2015, 12:21 PM
-Why is it important to switch leads?

Most animals in the animal kingdom (90 to 95%) are right side dominant, as are humans.
In North America races are run counter clockwise.
Going into the turn the left leg leads for balance.
It tires in doing so.
Coming out of the turn most horses switch to the right dominant leg to lead as it won't be as tired as the left - (it is less tired and usually stronger).

Inner Dirt
05-04-2015, 12:32 PM
I have been betting horses since I was 14 which was 40 years ago and because of some large scores I believe I am at least even or a little to the good, yet I cannot tell what lead a horse is on. I can barely tell the difference when watching if a horse is trotting or pacing. Anyone have a link to videos that can help me out or describe what to look for? Thanks in advance.

holmmd
05-04-2015, 01:53 PM
The way I know a horse is on his right lead is when the left leg extends out further as he runs. Look at replays for horses running in the stretch. When it looks like there left leg "kicks out" past his right leg, then he is on his right lead. Go back and compare AP and Firing Line's run and you'll see what I mean.

PICSIX
05-04-2015, 01:57 PM
I have been betting horses since I was 14 which was 40 years ago and because of some large scores I believe I am at least even or a little to the good, yet I cannot tell what lead a horse is on. I can barely tell the difference when watching if a horse is trotting or pacing. Anyone have a link to videos that can help me out or describe what to look for? Thanks in advance.

The easiest way to tell which lead the horse is on is to look at the back legs....If the back left hoof strikes the ground before the back right hoof does, the horse is on the "correct" lead.

tanner12oz
05-04-2015, 10:17 PM
Firing line reminds me of shackleford

Robert Goren
05-04-2015, 10:39 PM
]Read where FL was on his left lead [/B]the entire stretch.May have cost him the race?
Fl is one tough sob brings it on race day.Dont think he wins Preakness but i could see him winning the Belmont.Bill Buckley must be turning over in his grave. Sorry, could not resist.

holmmd
05-04-2015, 10:41 PM
The way I know a horse is on his right lead is when the left leg extends out further as he runs. Look at replays for horses running in the stretch. When it looks like there left leg "kicks out" past his right leg, then he is on his right lead. Go back and compare AP and Firing Line's run and you'll see what I mean.

Actually, just re-read my post and think I probably confused you more He's on the "right-leg" lead if the right leg is kicking out further than the left during is run (i.e. left leg hits first followed by right leg). It's tough to spot the first few times but once you see it, it gets easier to see on race replays, etc…

luisbe
05-05-2015, 12:41 AM
I have been betting horses since I was 14 which was 40 years ago and because of some large scores I believe I am at least even or a little to the good, yet I cannot tell what lead a horse is on. I can barely tell the difference when watching if a horse is trotting or pacing. Anyone have a link to videos that can help me out or describe what to look for? Thanks in advance.Watch this a lot of times and paid attention at 0:09 seconds when AP changes lead. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uk6z_vqxU_I&feature=youtu.be

Basically, he's running with his left front set on the ground and the other 3 in the air then changes to the opposite, the right front on the ground and the the other three in the air.
BTW, it's incredible how easy he does it and seems to be floating in the air afterwards.

luisbe
05-05-2015, 12:46 AM
Firing Line was too tired the last 16th while American Pharoah could have gone one more lap without nobody catching him.

raybo
05-05-2015, 05:32 AM
The front leg that "reaches" further (contacts the ground further down the track) than the other front leg, is the lead leg. The lead leg contacts the ground after the other leg. The lead leg is doing more work than the non-lead leg because it is supporting more weight and more stress than the non-lead leg. Since the horse has usually been using the same lead leg, at least in the turns, that leg is more tired than the non-lead leg, so the jockey will either ask the horse to change to the less tired leg down the stretch, or the horse will change to the less tired leg on its own.

It's similar to what happens when you carry a heavy piece of luggage with one arm for a while and then switch to the other arm, you do that because the second arm is less tired than the first one.

In horse racing, when a horse is galloping/running, the leading leg may tire, resulting in the horse slowing down. If the lead is changed, the horse will usually "find another gear" or be able to maintain its pace. Because horses race counter-clockwise in North America, a racehorse is usually trained to lead with the left leg while rounding the turn for balance, but switch to the right lead on the straightaways between the turns to rest the left.

upthecreek
05-05-2015, 06:10 AM
Search TVG on You tube I think Frank Lyons did a pretty good segment on changing leads

BlueChip@DRF
05-05-2015, 07:57 AM
Firing Line was too tired the last 16th while American Pharoah could have gone one more lap without nobody catching him.

Frosted was gaining on him.

nads1420
05-05-2015, 08:30 AM
The front leg that "reaches" further (contacts the ground further down the track) than the other front leg, is the lead leg. The lead leg contacts the ground after the other leg. The lead leg is doing more work than the non-lead leg because it is supporting more weight and more stress than the non-lead leg. Since the horse has usually been using the same lead leg, at least in the turns, that leg is more tired than the non-lead leg, so the jockey will either ask the horse to change to the less tired leg down the stretch, or the horse will change to the less tired leg on its own.

It's similar to what happens when you carry a heavy piece of luggage with one arm for a while and then switch to the other arm, you do that because the second arm is less tired than the first one.

usually you lose some speed for a second while switching arms with that luggage would the same effect happen switch leads?

delayjf
05-05-2015, 11:47 AM

The way I pick it up a horse running on the wrong lead is that the horse seems to be running with his head cocked to the grandstand as if he's looking at something in the stands. At the end of the movie Seabiscuit you can see a slow motion example of a horse changing leads as he's coming down the home stretch in the films closing sequence.

raybo
05-05-2015, 01:28 PM
usually you lose some speed for a second while switching arms with that luggage would the same effect happen switch leads?

If there is a loss of speed, it is extremely small, but I doubt there is any loss at all unless the switch is not smooth. Horses don't have to move an external object from one leg to another, with the accompanying awkwardness and interference with the body/legs that we experience by moving a piece of luggage from one side of our body to the other. The horse is still pushing with it's rear legs while the lead switch is taking place, so forward momentum/speed is remaining the same.

Saratoga_Mike
05-05-2015, 02:28 PM
It may be well known, but if a horse doesn't switch leads (and he isn't young and green), it can be the sign of a physical problem. I used to claim classy, older horses. If the video showed him not switching leads in his most recent race, he was usually a pass. FL is young, so I wouldn't make too much of it in his case.

picojim
05-05-2015, 03:38 PM
Search TVG on You tube I think Frank Lyons did a pretty good segment on changing leads

that video is no longer available