PDA

View Full Version : American Pharoah whipped 32 times in Derby

Hoofless_Wonder
05-04-2015, 01:41 AM
Not sure if trip handicappers include number of whips in their notes, but this is an interesting take on the winner:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-05-03/american-pharoah-whipped-32-times-in-victory-david-papadopoulos

In his first two races this year, American Pharoah hadn’t felt the sting of the jockey’s whip a single time. In the Kentucky Derby (http://www.nbcsports.com/horse-racing/american-pharoah-wins-2015-kentucky-derby), he was cracked some 32 times.

letswastemoney
05-04-2015, 02:15 AM
Only shows how good Firing Line and Dortmund are.

I don't get the fascination with perfect, blowout wins against nobodies. This was the best race American Pharoah ran in my eyes.

Dahoss2002
05-04-2015, 02:18 AM
I woulda had an excellent day if i had not bet all the exotic tricks in the derby. Had 2-3-5-18 live for pic 4 and pic 3 and believe me, he needed all those 32 licks!! LMAO :)

Some_One
05-04-2015, 04:18 AM
Not sure if trip handicappers include number of whips in their notes, but this is an interesting take on the winner:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-05-03/american-pharoah-whipped-32-times-in-victory-david-papadopoulos

http://www.thepja.co.uk/members-info/regulatory/useofwhip/

Victor better read up on the UK rules cause if he does what he did AP to Chromie at Ascot, he'll have a very long vacation and a huge fine to pay.

Capper Al
05-04-2015, 06:01 AM
Right when I thought I read it all in racing, something new pops up. Two good articles. Thanks.

ArlJim78
05-04-2015, 09:28 AM
There are many other races where horses are whipped as much. Check out the LA derby, Mena goes into beast mode on International Star.

Tall One
05-04-2015, 10:39 AM
He didn't spare the whip in the Risen Star either, Jim.

boys at tosconova
05-04-2015, 12:31 PM
i think certain cappers in this forum were whipped that much both before and after the race.

i see the ladies auxiliary cashed on AP.

http://gif.mocksession.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/PEGGY-COUNTING-MONEY.gif

Hoofless_Wonder
05-05-2015, 12:17 AM
32 times seems, without looking at any other factor, to be on the excessive side.

Personally, it's rare for me to want to see the jock use the whip prior to deep stretch. Occasionally, you may have a horse that does not respond to a hand ride, or being shown the whip. Or, you may have a horse that drifts in a turn, and needs a couple of cracks to get back on track.

But 32 whips in 10 furlongs? Is this horse really a Triple Crown threat?

I'll have to watch a few more replays. When I watched the race Saturday, it was hardly an eye-catching win......

Some_One
05-05-2015, 01:14 AM
32 times seems, without looking at any other factor, to be on the excessive side.

Personally, it's rare for me to want to see the jock use the whip prior to deep stretch. Occasionally, you may have a horse that does not respond to a hand ride, or being shown the whip. Or, you may have a horse that drifts in a turn, and needs a couple of cracks to get back on track.

But 32 whips in 10 furlongs? Is this horse really a Triple Crown threat?

I'll have to watch a few more replays. When I watched the race Saturday, it was hardly an eye-catching win......

You get only 7 strikes in the UK

PaceAdvantage
05-05-2015, 12:27 PM
The whip is a crutch in the US.

Maybe AP didn't need 32 whacks, but Espinoza didn't want to leave anything to chance or to be criticized for not appearing to put in a complete and total effort.

I don't buy it for one second that AP needed to be hit 32 times or he was gonna lose.

Greyfox
05-05-2015, 01:28 PM
Espinoza said that he knew he had the win at the top of the stretch.
He admitted to riding the horse hard for the last 1/8 of a mile, but in an interview later he said that he eased up on American Pharoah for the final 1/16 th.
Not buying.
It looked to me that he stopped whipping about 30 yards from the wire.
Whipping?
The whip is needed for steering for sure.
I doubt that he needed to whip as much as he did.
I've seen horses stop when whipped and I doubt that whipping really kept this runner going faster than he would have had he been whipped less.

f2tornado
05-05-2015, 02:08 PM
Espinoza said that he knew he had the win at the top of the stretch.

He either had too much confidence or is full of more crap than a sewage treatment plant. Horse looked gassed at the end but don't matter. He gets the trophy. Not convinced the Preakness is a walk but Derby winner has traditionally been a tough competitor in that race.

dilanesp
05-05-2015, 03:40 PM
Whipping is highly overrated.

If whipping mattered, Easy Goer should have slaughtered Sunday Silence. Sunday Silence was whipped over and over again in the Santa Anita Derby; Easy Goer was never touched in his Derby preps.

raybo
05-05-2015, 04:14 PM
I agree with Mike (PA), I think Espinosa was giving his maximum effort to win THIS race, without thought to the next 2 TC races. Firing Line was certainly game in the stretch, and Dortmund has been known to come back after losing the lead in the stretch. He wasn't taking ANY chances in this race, winning THE DERBY was his only concern. I'd have probably done the same thing, against those 2 horses.

nads1420
05-05-2015, 04:49 PM
I agree with Mike (PA), I think Espinosa was giving his maximum effort to win THIS race, without thought to the next 2 TC races. Firing Line was certainly game in the stretch, and Dortmund has been known to come back after losing the lead in the stretch. He wasn't taking ANY chances in this race, winning THE DERBY was his only concern. I'd have probably done the same thing, against those 2 horses.

they should just whip the other jockeys off their horse....

raybo
05-05-2015, 05:01 PM
they should just whip the other jockeys off their horse....

They probably would if they thought they could get away with it. :lol: