PDA

View Full Version : Floyd Mayweather ranked all time?

Kash$
05-03-2015, 05:45 PM
Does he make your top 10 all time?

Stillriledup
05-03-2015, 06:04 PM
Someone asked Teddy Atlas if Mayweather now makes the top 10 and he looked at the host like he was on crack....than the host said "top 20?" and teddy basically laughed in his face.

So i'm thinking top 50, but not top 20.

Kash$
05-03-2015, 06:06 PM
Did you donate the $90.. to watch a wife beater?

Stillriledup
05-03-2015, 06:51 PM
Did you donate the $90.. to watch a wife beater?

No. I'm not a big boxing guy so there was 0 chance i was going to buy the fight, especially at that price. If i was a huge boxing fan and the fight was like 10 bucks i would have considered it....anything more than 10 bucks for "scripted entertainment" is too much to pay...i could rent Paul Blart Mall cop for cheaper and get more laughs.

tucker6
05-03-2015, 09:12 PM
Someone asked Teddy Atlas if Mayweather now makes the top 10 and he looked at the host like he was on crack....than the host said "top 20?" and teddy basically laughed in his face.

So i'm thinking top 50, but not top 20.
he'd rank somewhere between 10-20 of the 1980's, let alone all time.

Stillriledup
05-03-2015, 09:49 PM
he'd rank somewhere between 10-20 of the 1980's, let alone all time.

I agree. He probably makes top 50 but i don't even know about that, i'm not much of a boxing guru. Could you imagine floyd trying to fight Roberto Duran. Duran is 63 and i'd bet he could whip Floyd's ass tomorrow. :D

tucker6
05-03-2015, 10:15 PM
I agree. He probably makes top 50 but i don't even know about that, i'm not much of a boxing guru. Could you imagine floyd trying to fight Roberto Duran. Duran is 63 and i'd bet he could whip Floyd's ass tomorrow. :D
Duran
Sugar Ray
Hearns
Hagler

... and I haven't even gotten to the lightweights and heavies yet. Those were the heydays of boxing.

ReplayRandall
05-03-2015, 10:36 PM
Duran
Sugar Ray
Hearns
Hagler

... and I haven't even gotten to the lightweights and heavies yet. Those were the heydays of boxing.
Pound for pound, with an unmatched streak of 26 straight KO's, best ever was Aaron Pryor....

Stillriledup
05-03-2015, 11:22 PM
Duran
Sugar Ray
Hearns
Hagler

Those guys are all monsters, they're all infinitely better than Floyd.

MutuelClerk
05-04-2015, 12:50 AM
Floyd has done a great job marketing himself. Along the way he's helped make boxing a bore and brought life to the MMA.

Inner Dirt
05-04-2015, 01:04 AM
With barely knocking out 50% of his opponents I can't even rate him top 20 since I have been watching boxing for 45 years in spite of 48-0. Then there are the great fighters who were before my time.

Dahoss2002
05-04-2015, 02:38 AM
Those guys are all monsters, they're all infinitely better than Floyd.
The longevity and the 48/0 make him a little special and Roberto is my favorite fighter of all time and I am half Filipino too. For the life of me, I cannot see why everyone expected a different outcome in that fight. Sure Manny had a punchers chance but a 47/0 natural weight bigger, great boxer is a tough task. Manny is built smaller than his heart. All those monsters INFINITELY better than Floyd? Not hardly

Stillriledup
05-04-2015, 02:44 AM
The longevity and the 48/0 make him a little special and Roberto is my favorite fighter of all time and I am half Filipino too. For the life of me, I cannot see why everyone expected a different outcome in that fight. Sure Manny had a punchers chance but a 47/0 natural weight bigger, great boxer is a tough task. Manny is built smaller than his heart. All those monsters INFINITELY better than Floyd? Not hardly

They're much better, i'm not even sure its a discussion. Peppers Pride won what, 20 in a row and nobody thinks she would have beaten Zenyatta or Rachel, so wins in a row is just a product of who you beat, that, and the eyeball test.

Inner Dirt
05-04-2015, 11:03 AM
Also like when Mike Tyson dominated the heavyweight ranks for 4 years Mayweather came around when the weight classes he fought in were not stacked with all time great fighters. The only two fighters he fought on anyone's all time list De La Hoya and Pacquiao were well past their prime when he fought them. The last 10 years he has not been that active either averaging about one fight a year. Just look up the records of the guys he has beaten the last dozen years, even though they were ranked high a lot of them didn't have stellar career records. Also in that same time frame he seemed to fight a lot of guys in their 30's when the most important tool of a smaller fighter, hand speed starts to fade. While you can't deny 48-0 it wasn't achieved with a glowing resume. He is boxing's version of Russell Baze.

Robert Goren
05-04-2015, 11:07 AM
No. I'm not a big boxing guy so there was 0 chance i was going to buy the fight, especially at that price. If i was a huge boxing fan and the fight was like 10 bucks i would have considered it....anything more than 10 bucks for "scripted entertainment" is too much to pay...i could rent Paul Blart Mall cop for cheaper and get more laughs.If you were a big boxing guy, you would have know better than pay a nickel for a Mayweather fight. He is the most boring fighter on the face of the earth.

ronsmac
05-04-2015, 12:20 PM
He's definitely top 10. As far as exciting he's maybe in the top 1000. I was hoping Manny was going to bring it in the manner or Gatti or Diego and thus bring out the best in Mayweather. There are dozens of fighters I've enjoyed more than Floyd but the way he makes very good fighters look ordinary is unquestioned.

ronsmac
05-04-2015, 12:23 PM
Pound for pound, with an unmatched streak of 26 straight KO's, best ever was Aaron Pryor....I loved Pryor but I don't think he would've beat Mayweather. His aggressive style and lack of defense would have played right into Mayweathers style. It would have been a great fight though.

cj
05-04-2015, 02:13 PM
Not in my top 20, he has avoided the best competition too many times and doesn't really fight. He is skilled, but I think there are many that were very good offensively and defensively.

ronsmac
05-04-2015, 02:43 PM
Not in my top 20, he has avoided the best competition too many times and doesn't really fight. He is skilled, but I think there are many that were very good offensively and defensively.The only fighter I feel he truly ducked was Paul Williams.

cj
05-04-2015, 02:46 PM
The only fighter I feel he truly ducked was Paul Williams.

He didn't seem too anxious to fight Manny until he was knocked out a few times.

Stillriledup
05-04-2015, 02:50 PM
He didn't seem too anxious to fight Manny until he was knocked out a few times.

Exactly, and Manny got "old" fast. When Manny had his heart Gone, Floyd felt safe to dip his toe in the shallow end.

Its funny how Floyd chastised the media for calling him scared and wanted "retractions" on stuff they have been writing for years, but in reality, he waited too long to fight Manny....i mean, he still might have won if they fought 5 years ago, but Floyd's record is carefully constructed, he wasn't going to fight manny unless he was pretty sure Manny wasn't 100 pct healthy mentally and physically and wasn't going to fight this fight with desperation.

ronsmac
05-04-2015, 02:55 PM
Not in my top 20, he has avoided the best competition too many times and doesn't really fight. He is skilled, but I think there are many that were very good offensively and defensively.There probably isn't a top 10 or 20. Every single fighter has lots of holes that can be pointed out. Ali, never in shape post rumble in the jungle, definitely lost the 3rd Norton fight maybe Jimmy Young fight also. Joe Louis had his bum of the month club, Marciano beat a lot of old men, Jack Johnson beat a mini Heavyweight a Jeffries who was 5 yrs retired and a middleweight in Stanley Ketchel. My favorite as a youth was Ray Leonard, but even he used every advantage from extra large ring, larger gloves and catchweights and 12 rounds vs 15 in the Hagler fight.

ronsmac
05-04-2015, 02:59 PM
He didn't seem too anxious to fight Manny until he was knocked out a few times.You mean 1 time, the final Marquez fight. His other ko loss was like 15 yrs ago. The Bradley loss was one of the worst decisions ever seen. He and even Teddy Atlas questioned Manny aledged ped use a few yrs back.

Stillriledup
05-04-2015, 03:10 PM
There probably isn't a top 10 or 20. Every single fighter has lots of holes that can be pointed out. Ali, never in shape post rumble in the jungle, definitely lost the 3rd Norton fight maybe Jimmy Young fight also. Joe Louis had his bum of the month club, Marciano beat a lot of old men, Jack Johnson beat a mini Heavyweight a Jeffries who was 5 yrs retired and a middleweight in Stanley Ketchel. My favorite as a youth was Ray Leonard, but even he used every advantage from extra large ring, larger gloves and catchweights and 12 rounds vs 15 in the Hagler fight.

To me, what little i know about boxing, is that guys who want to FIGHT, guys who are angry and desperate and willing to take a punch to give a punch are all better than Floyd because there's no way a guy who's "in it for the money" first and foremost is going to defeat someone who's fighting like Rocky fought in Rocky 1. Anyone can run around the ring and "Score points" but if you're really in a dogfight and trying to hold off a person who wants to actually knock your block off, its an entire different ballgame.

Inner Dirt
05-04-2015, 03:18 PM
Drop Mayweather in the 80's with the likes of Hearns, Hagler, Leonard and Duran. All four of those guys could beat him. True a lot of the all time greats in all weight classes have fought bums as previously mentioned, but they also fought a lot of great fighters. How many great fighters in there prime has Mayweather fought? To me the two best fighters he fought were De La Hoya and Pacquiao who both were well past their peak. Seriously though, how many of the all time greats weren't willing to stand toe to toe and slug it out? Since Mayweather was never willing to do that he isn't an all time great in my book.

cj
05-04-2015, 03:34 PM
You mean 1 time, the final Marquez fight. His other ko loss was like 15 yrs ago. The Bradley loss was one of the worst decisions ever seen. He and even Teddy Atlas questioned Manny aledged ped use a few yrs back.

Well yeah, but he waited him out for the next one :)

PEDs? Maybe he did, maybe not, but seemed a lame reason to duck a fight. Floyd is an expert on PEDs? Come on...

ronsmac
05-04-2015, 03:38 PM
To me, what little i know about boxing, is that guys who want to FIGHT, guys who are angry and desperate and willing to take a punch to give a punch are all better than Floyd because there's no way a guy who's "in it for the money" first and foremost is going to defeat someone who's fighting like Rocky fought in Rocky 1. Anyone can run around the ring and "Score points" but if you're really in a dogfight and trying to hold off a person who wants to actually knock your block off, its an entire different ballgame.No ,everyone can't run around a ring and score points. The fight was boring, Floyd fights defensive and not pleasing to the eye, but the guy has been a champion for 19 yrs and won 30 title fights. Granted there are a lot of belts, but there have been at least 3 since the mid80s. He's really only had1 tough fight. Castillo 1. Other than that it's been pretty easy against a lot of good fighters.

dlivery
05-04-2015, 05:38 PM
From what I saw of the fight Round 4 Floyd took some heavy punches from packio and felt his blows and what developted seem is that what you got and backed up a bit that seem to me was packio new he was done after what he had dealt floyd those blows floyd had to see bow much of punch Packio had :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Dahoss2002
05-05-2015, 01:59 AM
No ,everyone can't run around a ring and score points. The fight was boring, Floyd fights defensive and not pleasing to the eye, but the guy has been a champion for 19 yrs and won 30 title fights. Granted there are a lot of belts, but there have been at least 3 since the mid80s. He's really only had1 tough fight. Castillo 1. Other than that it's been pretty easy against a lot of good fighters.
Yup, like it or not, it is the "Sweet Science". Mayweather's undefeated pro career has spanned almost 19 years. Duran fought forever turning pro in 67 and would prolly still be fighting if not for the wreck. Seriously though, Leonard, as good as he was, was only good in a very short window of time comparatively speaking.

tucker6
05-05-2015, 07:30 AM
Yup, like it or not, it is the "Sweet Science". Mayweather's undefeated pro career has spanned almost 19 years. Duran fought forever turning pro in 67 and would prolly still be fighting if not for the wreck. Seriously though, Leonard, as good as he was, was only good in a very short window of time comparatively speaking.
but still beat Floyd Mayweather by KO ...

4 Feb -- Rocky Ramon, Baltimore, MD -- W 8
1 Mar -- Art McKnight, Dayton, OH -- KO 7
19 Mar -- Javier Muniz, New Haven, CT -- KO 1
13 Apr -- Bobby Haymon, Landover, MD -- KO 3
13 May -- Randy Milton, Utica, NY -- KO 8
3 Jun -- Rafael Rodriguez, Baltimore, MD -- W 10
18 Jul -- Dick Eckland, Boston, MA -- W 10
9 Sep -- Floyd Mayweather, Providence, RI -- KO 10
6 Oct -- Randy Shields, Baltimore, MD -- W 10
3 Nov -- Bernardo Prada, Portland, ME -- W 10
9 Dec -- Armando Muniz, Springfield, IL -- KO 6

Ironic I know... ;)

ronsmac
05-05-2015, 12:00 PM
but still beat Floyd Mayweather by KO ...

4 Feb -- Rocky Ramon, Baltimore, MD -- W 8
1 Mar -- Art McKnight, Dayton, OH -- KO 7
19 Mar -- Javier Muniz, New Haven, CT -- KO 1
13 Apr -- Bobby Haymon, Landover, MD -- KO 3
13 May -- Randy Milton, Utica, NY -- KO 8
3 Jun -- Rafael Rodriguez, Baltimore, MD -- W 10
18 Jul -- Dick Eckland, Boston, MA -- W 10
9 Sep -- Floyd Mayweather, Providence, RI -- KO 10
6 Oct -- Randy Shields, Baltimore, MD -- W 10
3 Nov -- Bernardo Prada, Portland, ME -- W 10
9 Dec -- Armando Muniz, Springfield, IL -- KO 6

Ironic I know... ;)That's funny, Floyd Sr challenged Ray to a rematch because he thought he was robbed. That would probably be a better fight than Jr vs Manny.

BlueChip@DRF
05-05-2015, 12:06 PM
Does he make your top 10 all time?

Top 10 businessman of all-time. Look how many he duped into paying for this crap.

ronsmac
05-05-2015, 12:14 PM
Drop Mayweather in the 80's with the likes of Hearns, Hagler, Leonard and Duran. All four of those guys could beat him. True a lot of the all time greats in all weight classes have fought bums as previously mentioned, but they also fought a lot of great fighters. How many great fighters in there prime has Mayweather fought? To me the two best fighters he fought were De La Hoya and Pacquiao who both were well past their peak. Seriously though, how many of the all time greats weren't willing to stand toe to toe and slug it out? Since Mayweather was never willing to do that he isn't an all time great in my book.I believe Hearns would have defeated Mayweather and maybe Hagler because of the size. I think he would have eaten Duran alive a la Duran Leonard II. He and Ray would've been a great fight, I would6give Floyd the edge.

tucker6
05-05-2015, 12:22 PM
That's funny, Floyd Sr challenged Ray to a rematch because he thought he was robbed. That would probably be a better fight than Jr vs Manny.
I don't recall that fight, but how does he think he got robbed when he was knocked out?

tucker6
05-05-2015, 12:25 PM
That's funny, Floyd Sr challenged Ray to a rematch because he thought he was robbed. That would probably be a better fight than Jr vs Manny.
What is amazing is that sugar ray fought 11 times in one year.

ronsmac
05-05-2015, 12:28 PM
I don't recall that fight, but how does he think he got robbed when he was knocked out?You can watch it on YouTube. I wouldnt call it a ko but Ray was much better than Sr.

ronsmac
05-05-2015, 12:30 PM
I don't recall that fight, but how does he think he got robbed when he was knocked out?It was a tko but a ko may have been inevitable.

Grits
05-06-2015, 05:14 PM
Like the commercials, Floyd's stupid rich...

His chef, she's sharp as a tack. She's laughing all the way to the bank. He pays her 1K per meal. Everyday. Last I saw of her, she was frying hot dogs in a skillet and pouring BBQ sauce over them. They looked gross. She says that Floyd will eat anything. :faint: She's right.

Stillriledup
05-06-2015, 06:13 PM
Like the commercials, Floyd's stupid rich...

His chef, she's sharp as a tack. She's laughing all the way to the bank. He pays her 1K per meal. Everyday. Last I saw of her, she was frying hot dogs in a skillet and pouring BBQ sauce over them. They looked gross. She says that Floyd will eat anything. :faint: She's right.

That's incredible. Its amazing that our society is set up for men who beat women up to have this much money. Something isn't right.

Hank
05-09-2015, 10:06 PM
http://coxscorner.tripod.com/robinson_p4p.html

Johnny V
05-10-2015, 08:41 AM
http://coxscorner.tripod.com/robinson_p4p.html
Ray Robinson was virtually unbeatable as a welterweight. Robinson and Armstrong would have most likely beaten Mayweather. Hearns for sure IMO. Leonard, Duran, and Pryor maybe so in what would be interesting and competitive fights. Top 10 for Mayweather? Probably so.