PDA

View Full Version : LaD 1st race- Large show bet on a 40-1 shot

green80
05-02-2015, 10:38 PM
Help me figure this one out. Louisiana Downs first race today a $5000 show bet was placed on the #1 horse, Diamonds and Thrills. This horse looks bad on paper, usually runs out by double figures. He was 20/1 at the time and went off at 41/1. The bet was made early, just after the board opened. I was waiting for the bet to be cancelled, but it stood. The horse ran true to form and finished 5th by 12 lengths. Usually the whole show pool is less than 10k, including off track money. This made a good opportunity if you wanted to show bet one of the favorites. What were the intentions here?

Prairie Bettor
05-03-2015, 12:37 AM
My guess.

Somebody bet early a bet intended for race 2. Either forgot to tell the teller the race number or they didn't punch it correctly. Tellers always assume you are betting the current race. Crazy as it sounds I think that's what happened. :(

That race was a minus show pool. Entry paid 2.40 2.10 2.10

I once saw a 20k bet that was placed on the post position number of the horse not the program number. Race had an entry. Guy who made bet realized it while the race was on and called the stewards. They held up the "official." In the end they didn't refund him.