PDA

View Full Version : Carpe Diem

porchy44
05-01-2015, 08:03 PM
I don't get it. Other than #2 Post Position, Carpe Diem looks as good as
any other horse in the Derby. Not getting much love on this board.

What other knocks or positives about this horse do you see?

powerrun
05-01-2015, 08:23 PM

porchy44, I have been on Carpe Diem since last year. I bet him heavy in the early Derby futures. As for strengths, from my memory, horses that have run well in the Derby have run well in both the Tampa Bay Derby and Blue Grass. Horses seem to get a lot of fitness from Tampa Bay Downs for some reason. This bodes well for Carpe Diem. Carpe Diem also has solid breeding.

As for negatives, the 2 post could be a problem unless there is clear sailing from the rail. Speed wise Carpe Diem is not as strong as other contenders, but I am hoping that Carpe Diem will have a major break out race. We shall see...good luck!

Tom
05-01-2015, 08:28 PM
Bad post
Too slow
Trainer has very poor Derby record - what he has in Florida does not travel well to Kentucky

jettroofer
05-01-2015, 08:33 PM
With 888's teainer saying they will not gun from the rail....that helps his pp

minethatbird08
05-01-2015, 10:22 PM
porchy44, I have been on Carpe Diem since last year. I bet him heavy in the early Derby futures. As for strengths, from my memory, horses that have run well in the Derby have run well in both the Tampa Bay Derby and Blue Grass. Horses seem to get a lot of fitness from Tampa Bay Downs for some reason. This bodes well for Carpe Diem. Carpe Diem also has solid breeding.

As for negatives, the 2 post could be a problem unless there is clear sailing from the rail. Speed wise Carpe Diem is not as strong as other contenders, but I am hoping that Carpe Diem will have a major break out race. We shall see...good luck!

Some pundits claim tampa bay downs has a very similar surface to CD. Not sure if that is true.

Like you I have liked Carpe Diem since I saw him run at Keeneland as a 2yo. Sometimes I want to drop him but it is more outside pressure than my own opinion. So I'm keeping him in my super for sure, maybe a win bet if I can fit it in my budget.

PaceMasterT
05-01-2015, 10:43 PM
Bad post
Too slow
Trainer has very poor Derby record - what he has in Florida does not travel well to Kentucky

A horse that is 4 for 5 while beating a few in this field is too slow. Riiiight. :lol:

no breathalyzer
05-02-2015, 01:36 AM
Post sucks.. but this horse has enough gate speed... i guess it just all depends how much he's gonna have to use from post #2. and if it takes too much out of him to finish like hes gonna have to..

A must use in tri's and supers prob. gonna make a small win wager.. going to stick with my gut. i been a big fan of this horse since his first start.. i think there is more in the tank then we seen.

nijinski
05-02-2015, 02:36 AM

Breeding suits and no argument with JV on board . Wish he was a bit outside though .

porchy44
05-02-2015, 03:30 AM
The El Kabeir scratch helps Carpe Diem a little. He is now one more post outside to avoid the "crush" against the rail after the break.

My pick for the Derby.

depalma113
05-02-2015, 07:16 AM
A horse that is 4 for 5 while beating a few in this field is too slow. Riiiight. :lol:

Compared to those he hasn't beat he is rather slow.

PaceMasterT
05-02-2015, 07:37 AM
Compared to those he hasn't beat he is rather slow.

By what standard? I have him as one of the top 3 physically fastest horses in the race. Does that mean he can get 1 1/4? No, but what is the definition of slow? He is not some plodder that has to run from the back of the pack because he is not fast enough to keep up, which is my definition of slow.

Spiderman
05-02-2015, 08:21 AM
Carpe Diem was confirmed as my pick with two easy wins this year which followed the sensational late kick in the BC Juvenile. Then, the ugly post draw and I was about to jump-off.

I'm backing Carpe Diem win/place and exacta boxes with two-three others from the following contenders list: :3: , :6: , :8: , :10: , :12:, :15:, :18:, :19:. Difficult to narrow the list, at this time.

RaceTrackDaddy
05-02-2015, 09:00 AM
Carpe Diem was confirmed as my pick with two easy wins this year which followed the sensational late kick in the BC Juvenile. Then, the ugly post draw and I was about to jump-off.

I'm backing Carpe Diem win/place and exacta boxes with two-three others from the following contenders list: :3: , :6: , :8: , :10: , :12:, :15:, :18:, :19:. Difficult to narrow the list, at this time.

I have to agree with you Spiderman. Given that he came like a freight train in last year's Breeders Juv, I cannot let the post position dictate my wagers. He can again be part of the mix once they hit the wire. I am throwing all my marbles on top on Mubtaahij (# 6) using about 7 deep under him. I am of the thinking that if the son of Dubawi gets by American Pharoah on his right side, that leader might just quit running so I am weak in my plays with (# 18) in the 2nd spot on most of my plays. Don't get me wrong, I do have 6-18-x-x going on too, but not as much.

Tom
05-02-2015, 10:03 AM

I got a horse at FL who matches that record.
You want to enter him in the derby? :lol:

Tom
05-02-2015, 10:06 AM
By what standard? I have him as one of the top 3 physically fastest horses in the race. Does that mean he can get 1 1/4? No, but what is the definition of slow? He is not some plodder that has to run from the back of the pack because he is not fast enough to keep up, which is my definition of slow.

Have you ever heard of speed figure?
And define physically fast? what the hell does that mean? How do you quantify it?

Spiderman
05-02-2015, 10:52 AM
Have you ever heard of speed figure?
And define physically fast? what the hell does that mean? How do you quantify it?

Tom,

thank you in advance for your contribution to the Derby pool. :D

JustRalph
05-02-2015, 04:04 PM
The post is a killer. He will work early......can he run late after that....?

I would bet against

depalma113
05-02-2015, 06:59 PM
Like I said before. The horses he was facing this time were faster.

Tom
05-02-2015, 09:26 PM
Tom,

thank you in advance for your contribution to the Derby pool. :D

You're welcome~! :lol:

minethatbird08
05-03-2015, 02:19 AM
What a horrible race for him. Only horse in the top 5 at the 3/4 mark to finish outside of the top 5. Outside of the winner Frosted maybe had the best race.

powerrun
05-03-2015, 10:32 AM
Indeed what a bad race. Disappointing to say the least. Congrats to AP!

Kash$
05-03-2015, 10:38 AM
Why would anyone be suprised.TP horses all run like Big Red in there preps.