PDA

View Full Version : Tech wreck?

Valuist
04-30-2015, 05:47 PM
Been a tough week for tech. Twitter down about 20% on the week, and today alone, Linked In and Yelp both down about 25%. Apple and Facebook relatively strong today, down "only" 3%.

_______
04-30-2015, 09:31 PM
Been a tough week for tech. Twitter down about 20% on the week, and today alone, Linked In and Yelp both down about 25%. Apple and Facebook relatively strong today, down "only" 3%.

Earnings matter. If Twitter weren't down 20% after that report, it really would be a bubble. Dick Costello won't be CEO if things haven't changed by 4Q and I have no idea how they turn things around. People wanted to compare them to Facebook but no one engages with Twitter like Facebook so ad revenues aren't in the same league.

Twitter is in danger of being MySpace.

Robert Goren
04-30-2015, 10:50 PM
I have had a problem understanding how twitter is going make money, but they certain have plenty of users. I do not understand what has happened with LinkedIn. It is or it was when I was working a very useful tool. Maybe something new is taking it customers away from them.

JustRalph
05-01-2015, 12:14 AM
Twitter has basically turned into a giant chat room that sometimes reminds me of the early days of AOL

Would you pay to throw up ads in a chat room? Would you stay in a chat room that had multiple ads?

These guys that became billionaires off the stock don't care anymore.

I've seen their comments........they are checked out.

They should have recognized the "real time" value of the service and made it subscription or news related. That is the value of the platform.

Robert Goren
05-01-2015, 10:56 AM
Twitter has basically turned into a giant chat room that sometimes reminds me of the early days of AOL

Would you pay to throw up ads in a chat room? Would you stay in a chat room that had multiple ads?

These guys that became billionaires off the stock don't care anymore.

I've seen their comments........they are checked out.

They should have recognized the "real time" value of the service and made it subscription or news related. That is the value of the platform.Ad messages killed newsgroups. I use to belong to a poker newsgroup. It got so bad that there were 8 or 10 ad posts for every real one. Nobody is going to put with that.

Valuist
05-05-2015, 10:11 AM
Earnings matter. If Twitter weren't down 20% after that report, it really would be a bubble. Dick Costello won't be CEO if things haven't changed by 4Q and I have no idea how they turn things around. People wanted to compare them to Facebook but no one engages with Twitter like Facebook so ad revenues aren't in the same league.

Twitter is in danger of being MySpace.

(Current) earnings weren't the issue with TWTR. Projections were $0.03/share and they came in at $0.07. The problem was the guidance going forward.

_______
05-05-2015, 11:00 AM
(Current) earnings weren't the issue with TWTR. Projections were $0.03/share and they came in at $0.07. The problem was the guidance going forward.

I think the top line where their revenue (mostly advertising) disappointed is what people were focused on along with the poor guidance.

And they only posted a bottom line profit if you back out "stock based compensation and certain other expenses" as they did. Otherwise, they lost 25 cents on the quarter.

I did check out Periscope on a friends phone, though. I can see that being a revenue generator if they work through the issues of content piracy.