PDA

View Full Version : As a mostly horizontal player, is most of the dumb money in verticals for the KD?

cutchemist42
04-29-2015, 12:05 AM
Dont play verticals at all, but Im thinking of just doing one for the KD unless there is still dumb money in horizontals, including the Oaks/Derby DD.

Thanks for the help!

Parson
04-29-2015, 12:19 AM
Another great bet is the oaks/wood ford/derby p3

cutchemist42
04-29-2015, 12:25 AM
Hmmm, never knew that P3 existed either, thats an option thanks!

Are exacta boxes dumb for the Derby? I know they are sometimes regarded as wasting money on too broad of an opinion in more normal races.

Some_One
04-29-2015, 12:53 AM
I think the average once a year player would be more likely to play an exactor then a P3, but with the (hopefully) large field sizes, you should get good premiums no matter the exotic.

salty
04-29-2015, 12:53 AM
You can box your top 6 with a gaurentee even fave over fave won't pay negative.

Sooo no its not dumb.

plainolebill
04-29-2015, 12:54 AM
With a 20 horse field verticals seem to me the way to go. If the favorite wins and something strange lands in the two or three hole payoffs can be quite large. Look at some of the Derby charts.

Dahoss2002
04-29-2015, 01:13 AM
With a 20 horse field verticals seem to me the way to go. If the favorite wins and something strange lands in the two or three hole payoffs can be quite large. Look at some of the Derby charts.

If ever a good time to play exotics, the Derby is it. Gargantuan pools! Just gotta get lucky. Good luck by the way ;)

Hoofless_Wonder
04-29-2015, 01:56 AM
Since picking a winner in any of the races at CD on Derby Day can be a challenge (at least for me), I'd agree that there is more "dumb" money in the vertical wagers on the Derby itself versus the horizontal wagers. There will also be many fans coming in that only want to stand in line once, will bet "the big race", and then start/continue drinking.

One approach would be to look at the odds of the horses, and see if there are any that are less than 10-1 you feel comfortable tossing from the gimmicks. Another approach would be to look at the odds of horses greater than 20-1, and see if you can get them somewhere underneath in the gimmicks.

This year, with AP looking like he'll spoil the value, it'll be difficult to invest a lot, but it still may make sense for a couple of ALL wheels if another decently priced horse is in the mix. In 2000 I loved Aptitude to win at 11-1, but he could only muster a well beaten second to Fusiachi Pegasus. Even so, I got back over $200 on my $1 tri 12-5-all wheel, which paid for all my other tri bets. I had a couple of other shots in for third in which I would have made a nice score, but that mule Impeachment got there....

Thunder Gulch
04-29-2015, 11:01 AM
I think the verticals are definitely the way to go with fields such as these. Even when chalk wins, you can fatten the mutuel by hooking with bombs who aren't that far fetched if you work a few angles.