098poi
04-28-2015, 08:04 PM
That's good.

boys at tosconova
04-28-2015, 08:05 PM
shoutout to bellamy road the next triple crown winner........lol

TheGarMan
04-28-2015, 08:17 PM
I bet I have watched this clip 50 times over the years...

GREAT STUFF.

Thats what its all about, a guy who touts his longshot, sticks by his guns, and gets the payoff.

Never gets old. :)

LemonSoupKid
04-28-2015, 08:48 PM
What I like even more was that this was proven to be just a flat out lucky pick, there was no reason why Afleet Alex should falter, and Giacomo lost by a combined 21 lengths the next two races to him.

Still, even when you don't deserve it, it is awesome when you feel like you're on top of the world. In that regard, in the spot, well done Mr. Rudulph.

Where's he now?

dogkatcher
04-28-2015, 08:52 PM
That was fun, thanks so much.

ArlJim78
04-28-2015, 09:06 PM
That's great. Not a TVG fan but I liked Rudulph's quirky enthusiasm.

Ken says thank you Spanish Chestnut!

Giacomo05
04-28-2015, 09:06 PM
10 years ago...I'll never forget my grandma keyed Giacomo to win the trifecta that year. The moment Giacomo hit the wire, was a moment i'll remember for the rest of my life.

horses4courses
04-28-2015, 09:12 PM
Last I heard, KR is on morning TV in Sacramento.

Seems a nice guy, but his racing knowledge was zip.

Still, that caper with the guy who named a horse "Mute Rudolph",
racing in colors of the confederate flag, was a disgrace.
I hope that racist, Bill Wilbur, is still banned.

Owner Suspended For Use of Confederate Silks
By Jack Shinar
Updated: Wednesday, January 19, 2011 8:42 PM
Posted: Wednesday, January 19, 2011 4:04 PM
Email Print RSS

A California horse owner who improperly substituted jockey silks in the image of the Confederate "Southern Cross" for his regular colors last summer has accepted a $1,500 fine and the suspension of his license for the current term.

In a stipulated agreement with the California Horse Racing Board, longtime owner Bill Wilbur of Sacramento, Calif., further agreed to not reapply for his license prior to July 1, 2011. His current license expires Feb. 28. The agreement was announced by the stewards at Golden Gate Fields Jan. 7.

The incident occurred during the state fair meet at Cal Expo in Sacramento July 15. A 2-year-old bay colt named Mute Rudulph, making his debut for Wilbur, who owned the horse in partnership, and trainer Bill McLean, won the fourth race, a $12,500 maiden claiming event at 5 1/2 furlongs.
However, winning jockey Michael Martinez wore red silks highlighted by white stars on blue cross sashes, rather than Wilbur's regular colors, which are purple, white, and black.

Mute Rudulph is named for Ken Rudolph, a television host for the racing network TVG who is African-American. TVG executive producer Tony Allevato reportedly complained about the silks, prompting the CHRB to investigate.

The CHRB alleged that Wilbur failed to notify the clerk of the course of the silk change in advance of the race, a violation of rules. It also charged that Wilbur was guilty of "conduct detrimental to horse racing" under rules pertaining to proper attire for a jockey, and for solicitation with the track's silks custodian to participate in a prohibited act.

A hearing against the silks custodian, Tony Baze, is pending. Baze, who was relieved of his duties for the final four days of the state fair meet, has been reinstated and is working at Golden Gate Fields, according to the CHRB.

Wilbur did not return a phone message seeking comment.

tanner12oz
04-28-2015, 09:16 PM
What I like even more was that this was proven to be just a flat out lucky pick, there was no reason why Afleet Alex should falter, and Giacomo lost by a combined 21 lengths the next two races to him.

Still, even when you don't deserve it, it is awesome when you feel like you're on top of the world. In that regard, in the spot, well done Mr. Rudulph.

Where's he now?

bumped into him either at Belmont or pimlico last year for the tc races

tanner12oz
04-28-2015, 09:17 PM
10 years ago...I'll never forget my grandma keyed Giacomo to win the trifecta that year. The moment Giacomo hit the wire, was a moment i'll remember for the rest of my life.

was like 100k wasn't it?

boys at tosconova
04-28-2015, 09:24 PM
if you weren't playing hunches, color, or other goofy things you had to go deep to get giacomo.

it's not that he was completely unplayable to hit the ticket, it's just that others looked better.

what really hurts is that i liked closing argument better, and had him w/ AA and two others i can't remember....

Giacomo05
04-28-2015, 09:39 PM
was like 100k wasn't it?

65k I believe, and she also had 100 to win and place as well.

tanner12oz
04-28-2015, 09:47 PM
if you weren't playing hunches, color, or other goofy things you had to go deep to get giacomo.

it's not that he was completely unplayable to hit the ticket, it's just that others looked better.

what really hurts is that i liked closing argument better, and had him w/ AA and two others i can't remember....

I had money on closing argument too

Giacomo05
04-28-2015, 09:50 PM
Frammento looks like he could be a Giacomo type longshot.. If he gets in, I will definitely bet him across the board.

Thunder Gulch
04-29-2015, 11:08 AM
that's just awesome. Haven't had too many moments like that, and certainly not with that sort of public exposure. Amazing

Canarsie
04-29-2015, 11:47 AM
Last I heard, KR is on morning TV in Sacramento.

Seems a nice guy, but his racing knowledge was zip.

Still, that caper with the guy who named a horse "Mute Rudolph",
racing in colors of the confederate flag, was a disgrace.
I hope that racist, Bill Wilbur, is still banned.

I chat (online) with him once in a while he's really a nice guy. I don't think anyone would argue his expertise but show me one spot where he claimed to be a "pro". He took it as a job where his career could grow and it certainly has. Out of all the people who worked for tvg he probably earns the biggest paycheck by a country mile.

He made initial contact with me I'm not the type to have a bbs (before the net) friend. I offer to help certain members here with computer help but always leave it up to them if they don't want to reveal their number.

Seriously has anyone really replaced him as a host? Again not with his "expertise" but with his personality and knowledge of tv media. Most segments drag on because all they want to do is "praise" each other fearing ramification if they don't. Name me a host (not a play with the pro handicapper) that's been better since he left. Maybe some prefer a host dressing up as a giraffe but I choose otherwise.

How many people have responded to harsh criticism both on air along with their now defunct discussion site. He wasn't afraid to take it and rarely dished it out only in mild doses.

A while back I asked him to write a book about a certain subject (sorry my memory is failing me) and he replied about the early days at tvg were really wild. While most people despised him (that's their right) I think it would be a fantastic read and would buy it because he's a no bull type of guy. I'm sure he really wouldn't knock someone harsh but the arguments, backstabbing, wagering stories, and others would make for a scintillating read. I would think Giacomo could take up a whole chapter.

SecretAgentMan
04-29-2015, 12:57 PM
I liked watching him watching his horse coming down the stretch......his partner analyst was first to say here comes Giacomo.......I don't think he actually seen his horse when he made the move, but man was he happy & excited seeing his horse win, awesome hit at 50-1.

I was scratching my head for 2 days after the derby trying to figure him out.......the only thing I could think of was if the trainer & jockey were holding him back until the derby because he was making a good move in every race & closed well but wouldn't win........I did read that Mike Smith was very excited about Giacomo after winning on him in his maiden race by over 10 lengths & humped off & told the trainer this is my derby horse.

SecretAgentMan
04-29-2015, 01:01 PM
Frammento looks like he could be a Giacomo type longshot.. If he gets in, I will definitely bet him across the board.

Love Frammento & hopes he gets in!

Hoofless_Wonder
04-29-2015, 01:03 PM
I didn't realize Rudolph had Giacomo in the Derby. Good for him. He did lay out some logical reasons to take the horse. My money was riding on Greeley's Galaxy that day. I had Giacomo on my DRF "horses watch" list with a note to "watch for his first turf start". ugh. Hated getting that chart result email....

depalma113
04-29-2015, 02:15 PM
Screw that!

I had Closing Argument at 72-1.

Never will forget Durkin's call:

"At the top of the stretch in the Kentucky Derby, High Fly, Bellamy Road, CLOSING ARGUMENT!"

Still gives me chills. Oh what could have been.