PDA

View Full Version : Derby Week Morning Chatter

nads1420
04-28-2015, 10:59 AM
How much stock do you guys put into the morning chatter of derby week?

for example just read on the C-J Tip Sheet:

--Tom Amoss' War Story just seems off in training. One onlooker described his gallop by sounding like a car backfiring. Not expecting him to hit the board.

would you take him out of your exotics because of that?

Thunder Gulch
04-28-2015, 11:09 AM
Depends on the source....I read one guy who says Danzig Moon is lathered up, the next I read says he is thriving. I remember a couple of years ago there were reports of I'll Have Another and a spinal alignment issue, then came the next guy saying he galloped like a monster.

BlueChip@DRF
04-28-2015, 11:36 AM
This is when the love of the horses come out. I see a lot of love for Frosted and extremes for Danzig Moon (they really love him a lot or hate him a lot).

minethatbird08
04-28-2015, 11:53 AM
I trust Mike Welsch as far as the Derby works go. As long as Mike doesn't have a bad impression of my selection(s) I stick with them. Also, if he thinks an outsider looks good I consider that horse. I am not going to listen to a bee hive.

Parson
04-28-2015, 12:27 PM
I have been back side every morning since Wed. of last week with the exception of Sat. Danzig Moon has been on the track every morning that I have been there and he has not lathered at all that I have seen. He looks like he loves the track and is very curious about the crowd when they bring him off the track but when on the track, he is all business.

Stoleitbreezing
04-28-2015, 01:00 PM
How much stock do you guys put into the morning chatter of derby week?

for example just read on the C-J Tip Sheet:

--Tom Amoss' War Story just seems off in training. One onlooker described his gallop by sounding like a car backfiring. Not expecting him to hit the board.

would you take him out of your exotics because of that?

I would take War Story out of the exotics because he's had gate issues and has flattened out in deep stretch going shorter then 10F. Nothing he's done this season tells me he's good enough or can get the derby distance. Complete toss for me even underneath.

SecretAgentMan
04-28-2015, 01:02 PM
You can pick derby winners w/o knowing how well a horse looks during workouts leading up to the derby......IMO, derby workouts should only be used as a tool, & I never take it that serious when choosing my derby horse because there's entirely too much hype from workouts.

You can definitely find gems like Animal Kingdom & Orb during their workouts & they can help you solidify your pick.......that's why Animal Kingdom went from 30-1 to 20-1

jettroofer
04-28-2015, 01:49 PM
I would take War Story out of the exotics because he's had gate issues and has flattened out in deep stretch going shorter then 10F. Nothing he's done this season tells me he's good enough or can get the derby distance. Complete toss for me even underneath.

What he said. I don't get it. I'm all about value and finding the bomber(s). Just way better options in my opinion.

Thunder Gulch
04-28-2015, 02:05 PM
I trust Mike Welsch as far as the Derby works go. As long as Mike doesn't have a bad impression of my selection(s) I stick with them. Also, if he thinks an outsider looks good I consider that horse. I am not going to listen to a bee hive.

I trust Welsch and believe he has a good eye, but he totally whiffed on Commanding Curve last year. Said he looked bad in his last work. Meanwhile, Bruno De Julio said Commanding Curve had a 5 * work two weeks before the race and was sitting on a huge one.

horses4courses
04-28-2015, 02:10 PM
I trust Welsch and believe he has a good eye, but he totally whiffed on Commanding Curve last year. Said he looked bad in his last work. Meanwhile, Bruno De Julio said Commanding Curve had a 5 * work two weeks before the race and was sitting on a huge one.

Bruno liked Commanding Curve last year, Orb the year before,
and Animal Kingdom when he won.
He offers a quality product when it comes to analyzing works.

minethatbird08
04-28-2015, 02:16 PM

I have considered paying for Bruno's product. Doubt I will this year. Maybe next year.