PDA

View Full Version : Great works link...

taxicab
04-28-2015, 12:15 AM
Keep an eye on all of the Derby horses as they work.
See if you agree with the clocker of 30 years calling American Pharoah the best ever[4-26 work......it was mighty impressive].
Something might catch your eye:

http://www.kentuckyderby.com/workouts

RoyalHeroine
04-28-2015, 01:44 AM
Keep an eye on all of the Derby horses as they work.
See if you agree with the clocker of 30 years calling American Pharoah the best ever[4-26 work......it was mighty impressive].
Something might catch your eye:

http://www.kentuckyderby.com/workouts

His lead change @ around 0:09 is so effortless and fluid it's almost imperceptible.
All the accolades and effusive gushing make me wary though...just "too good to be true".

raybo
04-28-2015, 03:41 AM
Well, that may have been classified as a "breeze" but he appeared to be flat out down the stretch. I know he is known to move smoothly and effortlessly, but in this work he didn't really impress me as being "effortless". Not trying to disrespect the horse, but 58+ in 5f when the horse starts in motion and is flat out much of the way, and is a top G1 horse, is not "the best ever" by any stretch of the imagination.

depalma113
04-28-2015, 07:50 AM
Well, that may have been classified as a "breeze" but he appeared to be flat out down the stretch. I know he is known to move smoothly and effortlessly, but in this work he didn't really impress me as being "effortless". Not trying to disrespect the horse, but 58+ in 5f when the horse starts in motion and is flat out much of the way, and is a top G1 horse, is not "the best ever" by any stretch of the imagination.

Stop looking for something that isn't there. The move truly was incredible. The horse kept waiting for a cue to run. When you add in the time and the fact that the next closest horse at the distance was 1.2 seconds slower, it was a flat out devastating move.

raybo
04-28-2015, 12:24 PM
Stop looking for something that isn't there. The move truly was incredible. The horse kept waiting for a cue to run. When you add in the time and the fact that the next closest horse at the distance was 1.2 seconds slower, it was a flat out devastating move.

Oh, you're going to tell me not to look for something that isn't there? You're the expert on works now? Reread my post and you will not find one thing stated as fact, I have the same right you have, to state my opinions. If you think he was "breezing" so be it, he looked flat out in the stretch to me, that's all I was saying.

depalma113
04-28-2015, 03:13 PM
Oh, you're going to tell me not to look for something that isn't there? You're the expert on works now? Reread my post and you will not find one thing stated as fact, I have the same right you have, to state my opinions. If you think he was "breezing" so be it, he looked flat out in the stretch to me, that's all I was saying.

You are entitled to your opinion, but your opinion is not supported by the video.

raybo
04-28-2015, 05:37 PM
You are entitled to your opinion, but your opinion is not supported by the video.

Only in your opinion. And, I trust my opinion much more than yours, or anyone else's, and I'm sure you would say the same about your opinion. But, to say that I shouldn't look for something that isn't there, is just plain egotistical, like you're the expert at interpreting videos. :rolleyes:

ArlJim78
04-28-2015, 08:25 PM
I hate to sound like a gushing fan-boy but the way AP gets over the ground is nothing short of amazing.

Nice link by the way.

BlueChip@DRF
04-28-2015, 10:45 PM
I hate to sound like a gushing fan-boy but the way AP gets over the ground is nothing short of amazing.

Nice link by the way.

You don't see much kickback or disturbing of dirt when a hoof strikes the ground.

RXB
04-28-2015, 11:29 PM
He is an absolutely beautiful mover, as smooth as any I've seen, and switched leads so quickly and efficiently in his last three races. A born runner.

That said, he appears to me as a type of Baffert trainee along the lines of Bodemeister/Congaree/Indian Charlie that runs well in the Derby but doesn't quite have the oomph in the stretch. I think that he'll most likely finish somewhere from second to fourth. Some years he could win on talent alone but this seems like a strong field and some of the other legitimate contenders are more battle-tested.

Like Burnsy said in a different thread, most top-class runners have nice action... until they tire.

depalma113
04-29-2015, 04:00 AM
Only in your opinion. And, I trust my opinion much more than yours, or anyone else's, and I'm sure you would say the same about your opinion. But, to say that I shouldn't look for something that isn't there, is just plain egotistical, like you're the expert at interpreting videos. :rolleyes:

I am sure you will take this the wrong way, but I am an expert at it.

Giacomo05
04-29-2015, 04:13 AM

who's in your trifecta?

depalma113
04-29-2015, 04:30 AM
who's in your trifecta?

So far I only have AP and Upstart. Still working on the third one.

Giacomo05
04-29-2015, 05:24 AM
So far I only have AP and Upstart. Still working on the third one.

I've got Upstart as well..what's your thoughts on Frosted?

BlueChip@DRF
04-29-2015, 05:29 AM
The ALL button sounds good.

depalma113
04-29-2015, 09:48 AM
I've got Upstart as well..what's your thoughts on Frosted?

He's one of about 6-7 I'm still looking at.

davew
04-29-2015, 11:24 AM
the video of Firing Line walking was not very impressive.

parlay
04-29-2015, 11:40 AM
Watching replays of his last 2 races it looks to me like they used the Wood as a training race. He was pulled back and asked to run only late, to late to challenge. But he ran out very impressively(to my eye). I believe they have converted him very successfully to a closer that has the ability to show speed at different points of the race as necessary to get a good trip. His breeding says he can get the distance in this company. Any comments on how he is training into the race?

raybo
04-29-2015, 02:28 PM

I assume you know that even "supposed" experts don't always interpret things the same way, and do not always agree with each other. What it still boils down to, are opinions, nobody's are perfect, if they were there would be many more successful horse players than the approximately 2% or less that are. You may consider yourself an expert at interpreting workouts/videos of workouts, and maybe you are, but the fact remains that you are human, and as a human you are subject to errors and misinterpretations.

stats33
04-29-2015, 02:56 PM
I assume you know that even "supposed" experts don't always interpret things the same way, and do not always agree with each other. What it still boils down to, are opinions, nobody's are perfect, if they were there would be many more successful horse players than the approximately 2% or less that are. You may consider yourself an expert at interpreting workouts/videos of workouts, and maybe you are, but the fact remains that you are human, and as a human you are subject to errors and misinterpretations.
I'm pretty sure DePalma does video work for the 2YO breeders sales. I'll be corrected if I'm wrong. The guy knows what he's talking about.

raybo
04-29-2015, 04:05 PM
I'm pretty sure DePalma does video work for the 2YO breeders sales. I'll be corrected if I'm wrong. The guy knows what he's talking about.

Ok, this is my last response to his criticism of my own interpretation of AP's work being classified as a "breeze". And that was the only point I was trying to make. A "breeze", to me, is a work that is done comfortably, without the horse extending itself fully. In my opinion, AP was well extended down the stretch in that work, not merely running comfortably.

The fact (or not) that DePalma does video work for the sales, or that he is recognized as an expert on workouts, is neither here nor there. The fact is that even "experts" can be wrong, and may not (probably not) agree with all the other "experts", in individual decisions. The fact is that his opinion of the work, is just his opinion, not necessarily fact. And, if he really is an "expert", he would be the first one to admit that he could be wrong and that he does occasionally make errors, like all of us humans do, expert or not.

If you believe that AP was simply "breezing" in that work, then so be it. It's your right to let that bias you toward thinking that AP is some kind of superstar. Put your money on it and live with that bias, win or lose.