PDA

View Full Version : Shaping up like the 2003 Derby

depalma113
04-27-2015, 09:58 AM
In 2003 a big time trainer brought two big time horses into the Derby. This year's version seems very familiar.

Empire Maker/American Pharoah - Two freakish animals that look the part of a champion.

Peace Rules/Dortmund - Two hard knocking front runners that seem to do no wrong.

Funny Cide/Upstart - Two very good horses that just missed in their final prep.

Ten Most Wanted/Materiality - Two lightly raced horses that popped a big speed figure in their final prep.

Buddy Gil/Carpe Diem - Two horses that just progressed up the graded stakes ladder winning all the way.

Brancusi/Ocho Ocho Ocho - Two speed horses that can't get the distance.

SecretAgentMan
04-27-2015, 10:11 AM
There's a big difference tho......Funny Cide ran against Empire Maker in the Wood & lost by 1/2 length..... Upstart didn't race against AP.

In 2003, there was only 1 elite horse entering the derby, Empire Maker, with another getting better & ready to pop a huge race in Funny Cide.....

This year there are quite a few Empire Makers.....

nads1420
04-27-2015, 10:27 AM
There's a big difference tho......Funny Cide ran against Empire Maker in the Wood & lost by 1/2 length..... Upstart didn't race against AP.

In 2003, there was only 1 elite horse entering the derby, Empire Maker, with another getting better & ready to pop a huge race in Funny Cide.....

This year there are quite a few Empire Makers.....

Upstart did lose to the horse who ran the fastest beyer of the prep seaon and finished with a 108 beyer himself

SecretAgentMan
04-27-2015, 10:36 AM
Upstart did lose to the horse who ran the fastest beyer of the prep seaon and finished with a 108 beyer himself

Nads, I know you like Upstart, & he wouldn't surprise me by winning the derby, I was on him for 2 months str.......but got off of him after seeing Frosted win after his throat surgery.

Also, every time Upstart runs a big beyer, he always regresses next time out......