PDA

View Full Version : To Claim or not to Claim - Uncle Jack

aagoett
05-23-2004, 06:29 PM
Hollywood Park - Race 4 - May 23rd
Uncle Jack

My friend and I had a discussion whether to claim this animal. I'm a long time watcher, but haven't posted much. What are your thoughts on this claim. Horse dropped way down to $12,500. He was claimed, but interested in hearing your thoughts.

Thanks!

kingfin66
05-23-2004, 08:41 PM
That's one of those hard calls. Anytime you have a solid allowance horse running in a $12500 claimer, you have to ask yourself "why am I the lucky one" before you make a claim. It's not surprising that he got claimed. Lucky for the new owners that he showed some life today in winning his race. Who knows, maybe he can recapture some semblance of his past form, but he just hasn't been the same since last year's Snow Chief.

aagoett
05-23-2004, 09:12 PM
Yeah. It seems after the SnowChief he just didn't run the same. I'm going to keep an eye out. I think a claiming game might be fun. Some hypothetical claim that tracked how the horse did after the claim. The art of the claim is definitely a tough one. I can't tell you how many times I've seen someone claim a horse that is one race away from a breakdown.

JustRalph
05-23-2004, 10:49 PM
I bet against him..........so much for that money huh?

I thought he ran much better than 12, 500.........

I just thought it was a fire sale.............

so.cal.fan
05-24-2004, 12:02 AM
I just asked my husband, who was in the paddock, he said the horse looked okay.......

aagoett
05-24-2004, 12:19 AM
From what I've heard Marty Jones doesn't give much away. Part of the reason why my buddy didn't want to claim the horse. Guess we shall see next time he runs if the trainer was just trying to sneak a race in.

kenwoodallpromos
05-24-2004, 01:23 AM
Would have been a very nice claim! Entered claiming Mat 6; worked May 12 very fast track 7f 1:29:8. Entered may 23- the must have been in racing form. Pedigree includes Gummo and Eir Ivor; Uncle Jack should be able to do well as a turfer if desired. Listed at $12,500? A great bargain even prior to the May 23 wire-to-wire win in good time. Fast track, and horses 1 through 5 held their place after 6f, including Uncle Jack who was being pressed all the way.
To work 7f within 10 days of a route is a very good sign- and obviously the horse still has good front end speed. Bones are most likely in good shape. The pp's will tell what purse barrier he now has,and will also tell how versatile he is. It may even be possible to find a $50,000+ handicap ar allowance, optional claimer to get a part of and not get claimed. May even be the minor part of an exotic bet at good odds.

CryingForTheHorses
05-24-2004, 04:37 AM
Claiming a horse is risky because your getting damaged good I LOVE to claim the old class horses, I claimed a 10 yo 500k winner last year at Calder for $6250.00. I won 5 races in 2 months with him running back for the same price and losing him back to the same owners.I love to check out the lifetime beyers on the old horses, If you get them cheap enough you just have to get them right and run them where they can win.Its great to have a stake horse,Id really rather have a claimer.They are a lot of fun

kenwoodallpromos
05-24-2004, 12:38 PM
On claims, can a small trainer have an advantage over a big one by more personal involvement with the animal, so knowing what it takes to Get them right?

CryingForTheHorses
05-24-2004, 01:03 PM
yes i do thinka small trainer has a big advantage over a big trainer on certain horses, A big trainer doesn't want the problems some of these horses have,If a horse has leg problems a trainer needs to be smart enough to see and know what is wrong..Takes a sharper trainer to be able to fix them.If you get a old horse who has been running say for open 16k all his life then is dropped down to open 8k,lots of people put out the red flag..I look for this kind as they will win with the drop, Lots of guys wont claim a horse on the drop but to me its the best kind..just have to go look the horse over and know how to read a form.With the claiming rule letting you run a horse back at what you claimed for its a big plus for the claiming owner.Calder is great for having old horses running.Claimed this old horse 2 years ago..old owner came racing back to ny barn to buy him back.. I do think trainng a horse as a individual,rather then in numbers like the big stables gives you a edge, I also feel if you get your horse happy..He will run his heart out for you

breakage
05-24-2004, 04:37 PM
Did you sell the horse back to the old owner for a small profit or did you keep it?

CryingForTheHorses
05-24-2004, 04:59 PM
This horse has quite a story,Hight lifetime beyer on this horse was 101.Horse finished 2nd for 10k beaten a nose,next start was for $6250.00,beaten a nose again..I claimed he was a 7yo.He was Ven bred. Seems the owner had wanted to retire him and stand him stud in Ven,Wanted a last win pic in the USA and I claimed him. Horse ran a zillion times at Calder never being claimed,That threw a big wrench into their plans. Wasnt long before the trainer was at the barn pleading his case.Had never been so excited to get this speedster.I am still kicking my butt over it. Yess I did sell him,After the requried time after a claim")

aagoett
05-24-2004, 06:13 PM
Hmmm... How about a PaceAdvantage claiming partnership?!!? I think it would be pretty cool.

kenwoodallpromos
05-25-2004, 12:43 AM
I understand about the obvious negatives with an older claimer; but to claim for a profit you must know the strengths of the horse so you can keep an eye on your "Horses to watch- and claim" when they are dropped enough, but still place right at the runback.

aagoett
05-28-2004, 05:46 PM
Uncle Jack is running back this Sunday. Coming out of $12,500 claimer & now in a $50,000 claimer this Sunday. Too aggressive for a horse that just ran $12,500???????