PDA

View Full Version : No More Derby Trial?

infrontby1
04-24-2015, 09:05 PM
As far as I can remember this race was always running at Churchill a week or two before the Derby at a mile.

Probably not a major loss albeit the only real major derby contender that I can remember that came out of this race was Devil's Bag back in mid '80's.

ronsmac
04-24-2015, 09:09 PM
As far as I can remember this race was always running at Churchill a week or two before the Derby at a mile.

Probably not a major loss albeit the only real major derby contender that I can remember that came out of this race was Devil's Bag back in mid '80's.It's the Pat Day mile now and I believe it's run on Derby day this year.

infrontby1
04-24-2015, 09:33 PM
You mean the same Pat Day, the Born-Agen drunk who exclusively rode Easy Goer and gave him the so-called 'breather' down the backstretch in the BC Classic that cost him the race and horse of the year honors?

To this very day, I still can't figure out why the Phipps used him for only one horse, their best horse of that generation where they were regularly using other excellent jockeys such as Randy Romero, Walter Guerra and Craig Perret

Shemp Howard
04-24-2015, 09:41 PM
In other words, Pat Day is still stealing races at CD.

JustRalph
04-24-2015, 09:53 PM
http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=120170

minethatbird08
04-24-2015, 10:00 PM

Probably not a major loss albeit the only real major derby contender that I can remember that came out of this race was Devil's Bag back in mid '80's.

Dark Star famously gave Native Dancer his only loss, in the Kentucky Derby, after winning the Derby Trial.

Also as others stated it was renamed and moved to Derby Day. However, they did add a sprint race, listed stakes for now, for the opening day headliner. Blofeld will probably be heavily favored in that race tomorrow.

Tall One
04-24-2015, 11:49 PM
You mean the same Pat Day, the Born-Agen drunk who exclusively rode Easy Goer and gave him the so-called 'breather' down the backstretch in the BC Classic that cost him the race and horse of the year honors?

To this very day, I still can't figure out why the Phipps used him for only one horse, their best horse of that generation where they were regularly using other excellent jockeys such as Randy Romero, Walter Guerra and Craig Perret

I'll never forgive him for the Preakness.

Cholly
04-25-2015, 12:23 AM
In other words, Pat Day is still stealing races at CD.

That's funny!

Valuist
04-25-2015, 12:53 AM

You've got to be joking. Day was much better than Guerra and Perret. He competed against Romero for a number of years at Arlington and usually got the better of him. Romero's career didn't last that long.

One more thing: let it go; Sunday Silence was better than Easy Goer as long as they weren't running 1 1/2 miles.

ultracapper
04-25-2015, 01:16 AM
You've got to be joking. Day was much better than Guerra and Perret. He competed against Romero for a number of years at Arlington and usually got the better of him. Romero's career didn't last that long.

One more thing: let it go; Sunday Silence was better than Easy Goer as long as they weren't running 1 1/2 miles.

Probably even that's not entirely accurate. Sunday Silence probably could have gotten the better of him at 1 1/2 on a 1 mile oval.

thaskalos
04-25-2015, 01:28 AM
Probably even that's not entirely accurate. Sunday Silence probably could have gotten the better of him at 1 1/2 on a 1 mile oval.

Not if Easy Goer was ridden by Craig Perret. :rolleyes:

wisconsin
04-25-2015, 08:45 AM

Romero was riddled with injuries and almost burned to death in a hotbox accident.

Kash$
04-25-2015, 09:19 AM

Easy Goer lost ground on the tight turns Churchill/Pim/Gulf 3 races SS won
Belmont wide sweeping turns he was unbeatable.