PDA

View Full Version : Stanley Cup Finals

cj
05-23-2004, 02:44 PM
Calgary - Tampa?

What a disaster for the NHL. As if this league didn't have enough problems. I would imagine this series will draw the lowest ratings ever for a Cup final. Will anyone outside of Tampa watch this in the USA?

PaceAdvantage
05-23-2004, 02:48 PM
Since the Lightning eliminated my Islanders in the first round, it's kind of nice to see them make it to the finals....LOL

JimG
05-23-2004, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by cjmilkowski
Calgary - Tampa?

What a disaster for the NHL. As if this league didn't have enough problems. I would imagine this series will draw the lowest ratings ever for a Cup final. Will anyone outside of Tampa watch this in the USA?

Since I grew up in the area, I will be watching it.

Jim

PS...I like your quote.

sq764
05-23-2004, 04:18 PM
Well, Tampa knocks out my Eagles 2 years ago, then the Flyers this year..

Thank God the DevilRays suck...

BillW
05-23-2004, 05:18 PM
Being from Pittsburgh (I'm obligated to say this), anyone that knocks out the Flyers can't be all that bad :D

Bill

sq764
05-23-2004, 08:15 PM
yeah, you have to actually watch the Pirates all Summer. You should be allowed to live vicariously through another team :-)

ceejay
05-24-2004, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by PaceAdvantage
Since the Lightning eliminated my Islanders in the first round, it's kind of nice to see them make it to the finals....LOL

I agree, GO BOLTS! I HATE the Flyers (almost as much as I hate the Ranger$), so I'll root for whoever beats them. Actually, Tampa's grind-it-out work ethic kind of reminds me of the Islanders dynasty teams.

I think that it's kind of cool that teams ranked 19 and 21 in payroll are playing for the Cup Source (http://www.hockeyzoneplus.com/$maseq_e.htm). I'll watch!

sq764
05-24-2004, 01:57 PM
"I think that it's kind of cool that teams ranked 19 and 21 in payroll are playing for the Cup Source. I'll watch!"

Ceejay, you may be the only one watching :-)

ceejay
05-24-2004, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by sq764
Ceejay, you may be the only one watching :-)

No, I'll bet that there are at least 8 or 10 people watching!

CryingForTheHorses
05-24-2004, 03:09 PM
I am a true Toronto Maple Leaf fan!! Felt hopless as always when Philly nocked them out of the playoffs.They havent won the cup since I was in diapers.I just keep believing!! Then I became a Panthers fan as I live in Hollywood Fl.Same fate for me..Glad to see Tampa in the finals as I also hate any team that beats up on my beloved Toronto Maple Leafs...Loved the John Brophy days, love old Harold Ballard, cheap as he was.Least a kid in Tampa will know what its like for his team to go to the Stanley Cup. Something I have been deprived of ALL my life...Tampa in 6.I

cryptic1
05-24-2004, 07:26 PM
As far as the finals are concerned it's always refreshing to
have different teams, especially when they play without the
usual clutching and grabbing.

However, anyone who looks at the ballard era without
anything but contempt needs to give their head a shake. The
cheap prick destroyed the farm system, hired yes man to run
the organization and basically disbanded the scouting system.
He was a publicity seeking, racist chauvinist pig, without many
redeeming qualities. He effectively ruined the organization for
almost twenty years. His only concern was himself and his
notoriety.
Mr. Brophy was a goon when he played in the eastern league
and completely over his head as a coach in the NHL. He wanted
to reinvent the Broad Street Bullies when history had passed
them by. His tenure was without any notable success which
wouldn't surprise anyone who followed the team.
Frankly I gave up on the leafs as a result of the that era and
only follow hockey as a fan of the sport rather than any particular
team. I realize fans come in all shapes and sizes, but the odor
from that era still permeates the old gardens.

without malice
cryptic1

gaston
05-25-2004, 11:19 PM
we will finally have good wide open quality hockey with no boring trap play. quite refreshing.
a lost montreal canadien fan.

ceejay
05-26-2004, 08:49 PM
Game 1 was great. Too bad, most here were right and virtually no one watched in the states.
Game 1 was watched by an average of 1,013,000 people and had a rating of 1.1. Of the 34 Stanley Cup finals game the network has televised since 1990, only Game 2 of last year's series between New Jersey and Anaheim had a rating as low.

In contrast, the game between the Flames and the Lightning was the second-highest rated NHL game ever on Canadian network CBC, drawing over 3 million viewers.

AP story (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/hockey/nhl/specials/playoffs/2004/05/26/bc.hkn.stanleycup.ratin.ap/)

sq764
05-26-2004, 08:54 PM
Do you think the fact that the selfish bastards are going to have a lockout next year might spurn some bitterness to fans?

ceejay
05-26-2004, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by sq764
Do you think the fact that the selfish bastards are going to have a lockout next year might spurn some bitterness to fans?

Yes!

sq764
05-26-2004, 09:20 PM
If they strike and have zero hockey again.. I will... do nothing..

That would be wonderful.

I would rather watch my sprinkler out front than a hockey game.