PDA

View Full Version : Aqueduct: Friday, April Twenty-Four

Teach
04-24-2015, 12:09 PM
Race One:

:1: E Z Passer moves from the Pat Quick barn to Michelle Nevin’s. Any way you slice it – at least from their training records – this is a marked step up. Up-and-coming apprentice, Eric Cancel, is in the irons. Cancel should be sitting on a stalking trip in which he must “press the button” at just that right time to garner the win. This 8-year-old Affirmed-bred mare would relish a little moisture on the track, but that might be asking a bit much. Oh, trainer Nevin is good with both with sprints and first starts after a claim.

Others: :4: Matching Skies; :3: Inaflash

Race Two:

:1: Stolen Victory has competed against better, but only once on the turf, a race in which she finished off the board. This filly does, however, have a solid turf pedigree, e.g., Giant’s Causeway. This 3-year-old chestnut filly should handle the distance. This is the first time she’s dropped in for a tag. Trainer Gary Contessa does well with horses entered in their first claiming race. The most capable Cornelio Velasquez is in the irons.

Others: :7: Kitten’s Top Cat; :4: Perfect Freud; :3: Indygita

Race Three:

:1: Alice and Trixie is a 4-year-old filly who won her last race; she now tries “winners”. I believe this Seeking The Gold-bred can handle the class hike. The filly has hit the tote in her last four races. Trainer Gary Contessa does reasonably well with horses who return to the winner’s circle after breaking their maiden in a previous race.

Others: :4: Soul Opposition; :5: Prove It All Night; :2: Bella Fachi.

Race Four:

:7: Stone Crab is making his third appearance on the racetrack. In his two previous starts he finished third last December in a 40K maiden-claimer and, more recently, this Stephen Got Even-bred finished next-to-last in a 55k maiden-special. Well, he’s now back in with the kind he should handle. Trainer Rudy Rodriguez does well with second starts off a layoff; he also does well with maiden-claimers. This gelding would relish any moisture; the gelding had a recent solid five-panel work. Jockey Irad Ortiz, Jr. is in the irons.

Others: :1:/ :1a: File For Divorce/Black Tide; :5: Battle Notes; :2: Rich Dalone

Race Five:

:7: Roundupthelute ships in from the West Coast for his new connections, owner-trainer David Jacobson. Jacobson is particularly good with horses making their first start for a new trainer. He also does well with shippers and second starts off a layoff. This Midnight Lute-bred was purchased for 230k at a yearling sale; he certainly, at least thus far, hasn’t lived up to his believed potential. However, in this race, with this company, he has, I believe, a distinct chance. The colt’s only win came in a non-graded stake in which he handled seven panels in a solid 1:24.4. One note: jockey Cornelio Velasquez must perfectly time his stretch drive so that his charge doesn’t run out of real estate.

Others: :2: S’mervelous; :6: Ogermeister; :5: Billypaysthebills.

Race Six:

:8: Hudson Miracle ships in from Gulfstream Park where, nearly two months ago, he was seen in a grass race in which he almost won; he finished third a-neck. This Citidancer-bred fits well in this state-bred company; his recent morning work-tab has been both good and timely. The gelding’s trainer, Chad Brown, is good with horses that have been away from the track; turf starts; and allowance races. Irad Ortiz, Jr. is in the irons.

Others: :2: Runaway Posse; :1: / :1a: Three For Me/Rontos New York; :3: Irish Jade

Race Seven:

:2: Rock Show get my tepid, lukewarm nod in this wide-open bottom-level claiming route for fillies and mares. This Rock Hard Ten-bred mare would probably prefer a wet track (not going to happen); yet she has faced better and has the potential to unleash some solid stretch-closing speed. Joe Parker is not among the leaders in the training ranks; yet, he does occasionally condition winners. Is this the class-dropping spot? Reuben Silvera reprises the ride.

Others: :7: Just Catty; :5: Seven Stars; :1: Maxana

Race Eight:

:4: Mrs McDougal is my choice in this allowance turf route. This 3-year-old Medaglia d”Oro-bred filly won at first asking on the turf back in early February at Gulfstream Park. In her only other start, a little over a month later, she finished a closing fourth in an optional claiming route. Well, trainer Chad Brown has given this Distorted Humor-bred some time off with the hope of rekindling her winning ways. Make no mistake; this is an extremely well-bred filly who sold, as a yearling, for 450k at Keeneland. If this filly can live up to her regal breeding potential, she’ll certainly be a player with these. Trainer Brown is good with many categories, including turf starts, shippers and beaten favorites. Oh, I neglected to mention that this filly went chalk in both her tries. Irad Ortiz, Jr. is in the irons.

Others: :1: Ramble; :5: Funny Money; :3: Graceful Grit

Race Nine:

In the finale, a seven and ½ furlong maiden-claimer for state-breds, I’m going with a longshot, :8: Emily May Do It. Seven and one-half panels is a tricky distance. Is it a sprint, or is it a route? It can be a tough distance for many horses. I believe that this Forty Niner-bred might just get a wake-up call here. One thing is for certain: this filly can get the distance. I’m not sure I can say that for all the horses entered. Trainer Rudy Rodriguez does well with horses entered in maiden claimers. The veteran reinsman, Cornelio Velasquez, rides.

Others: :7: Golden Starlet; :4: Downton Alley; :1a: Justenuffdior