PDA

View Full Version : Shared Belief Diagnosed With Hip Fracture

horses4courses
04-20-2015, 09:51 PM
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/91401/shared-belief-diagnosed-with-hip-fracture

nijinski
04-20-2015, 10:00 PM
Now we know Mike Smith is going to heaven .

Hoping for a speedy recovery for SB !

chadk66
04-21-2015, 07:37 AM
Mike should have been at the whip a quarter mile into the race. Didn't he realize all the money people bet on that horse:rolleyes: This sure makes the people upset with Mike look like asshats. Here you have a guy taking care of the horses best interest and the same people that bitch about drug use in the industry bitch about a rider taking care of his animal. :bang:

horses4courses
04-21-2015, 02:49 PM
.José A Contreras ‏@LosPonies 1m1 minute ago
Shared Belief is on a plane right now on his way back to California - @JimRome on his radio show right now.

nijinski
04-21-2015, 03:57 PM
Mike should have been at the whip a quarter mile into the race. Didn't he realize all the money people bet on that horse:rolleyes: This sure makes the people upset with Mike look like asshats. Here you have a guy taking care of the horses best interest and the same people that bitch about drug use in the industry bitch about a rider taking care of his animal. :bang:

Nothing worse than watching a struggling horse get pushed or witnessing
a breakdown . Mike is getting all the praise now that he deserved post race .

Grits
04-21-2015, 04:02 PM
Nothing worse than watching a struggling horse get pushed or witnessing
a breakdown . Mike is getting all the praise now that he deserved post race .

Nj, if Mike had pushed, and Shared Belief had broken down during that race? "The World's Top Thoroughbred" and the destruction involved in this sport would've made national news. .... Scott Hazelton spoke with him via telephone the other morning. One could hear, still, the sadness and the concern in his voice.

nijinski
04-21-2015, 04:16 PM
Nj, if Mike had pushed, and Shared Belief had broken down during that race? "The World's Top Thoroughbred" and the destruction involved in this sport would've made national news. .... Scott Hazelton spoke with him via telephone the other morning. One could hear, still, the sadness and the concern in his voice.

Totally agree Grits !

biggestal99
04-21-2015, 04:35 PM
Everyone can see that sb wasn't keeing up.

Mike did the only thing he could do.

Ease if not keeping up

Happens eveyday.

If i bet a low odds horse and he gets eased.

Well theres always next race, i very rarely care about 1 result, one way or other.

Glad sb is safe.

Allan

RacingFan1992
04-21-2015, 08:03 PM
There was one race I was watching when the horse broke awkwardly from the gate and it looked weird. The horse ended up throwing the jock. Kudos to Mike Smith and any other jockey who eases their horse up when they feel the animal is not striding right. People who bet have to expect this happening.

NY BRED
04-22-2015, 05:43 AM
so much for the criticism leveled at Mike Smith and
Jerry Hollendorfer.

I previously posted retiring SB, this diagnosis benchmarks
this thought.

tanner12oz
04-22-2015, 06:17 AM
You think chrome hurries back to the u.s. Now for the BC since the likely favorite is now out? Seems like something his connections would pull

JustRalph
04-22-2015, 06:51 PM
Im a little curious about this hip fracture. ..........

horses4courses
04-22-2015, 07:22 PM
Im a little curious about this hip fracture. ..........

Smell a rat, do you?

chadk66
04-23-2015, 07:17 AM
Im a little curious about this hip fracture. ..........:sleeping:

cj
04-23-2015, 08:51 AM
Heard them say on TVG he is out all of 2015, so that doesn't exactly sound minor.

chadk66
04-23-2015, 09:18 AM
any fracture to a major bone like that is not minor

Tom
04-23-2015, 09:43 AM
HOY or nickel claimer.....Mike made the right call.
As bettors, that is the risk we take when a living creature is part of our game.

ILovetheInner
04-23-2015, 11:40 AM
HOY or nickel claimer.....Mike made the right call.
As bettors, that is the risk we take when a living creature is part of our game.

Wisely said.

Fager Fan
04-23-2015, 12:17 PM
Heard them say on TVG he is out all of 2015, so that doesn't exactly sound minor.

I think they were listening to an owner who didn't know what he was talking about. Hollendorfer said later that the horse would be out 6-8 weeks, so that means he could be back by the Fall.

A hairline crack at the point of his hip is probably the safest place a horse could develop a crack. Regardless, it takes time for the crack to heal up. This is a minor injury in the grand scheme of things. He'll be back at 100% and relatively soon.

JustRalph
04-23-2015, 01:09 PM
I think they were listening to an owner who didn't know what he was talking about. Hollendorfer said later that the horse would be out 6-8 weeks, so that means he could be back by the Fall.

A hairline crack at the point of his hip is probably the safest place a horse could develop a crack. Regardless, it takes time for the crack to heal up. This is a minor injury in the grand scheme of things. He'll be back at 100% and relatively soon.

This is the part I am curious about. I cannot imagine he could have much of a crack and kept running........ They should put up an X ray......show us. Why not break a little ground and be completely transparent. They have nothing to lose? In fact it's counter to what we are used to in this game. I am suspect of everything coming out of a trainers or owners mouth anymore.

not to downplay the effort......... he kept running and Smith was obviously right to pull him up.

Brogan
04-23-2015, 01:22 PM
If you want to see the x-ray, buy into the horse. Otherwise, its not your business.

Now as far as what owners and trainers tell us? They aren't under oath, and have no real obligation to tell us anything, some things, or everything. We just have to make our own judgment on their veracity.

JustRalph
04-23-2015, 01:49 PM
If you want to see the x-ray, buy into the horse. Otherwise, its not your business.

Now as far as what owners and trainers tell us? They aren't under oath, and have no real obligation to tell us anything, some things, or everything. We just have to make our own judgment on their veracity.

I guess we do the same thing when it comes to NFL players. And they get much more money bet on their game..........(s)

chadk66
04-23-2015, 01:49 PM
This is the part I am curious about. I cannot imagine he could have much of a crack and kept running........ They should put up an X ray......show us. Why not break a little ground and be completely transparent. They have nothing to lose? In fact it's counter to what we are used to in this game. I am suspect of everything coming out of a trainers or owners mouth anymore.

not to downplay the effort......... he kept running and Smith was obviously right to pull him up.quite frankly it's none of our damn business.

Fager Fan
04-23-2015, 02:40 PM

not to downplay the effort......... he kept running and Smith was obviously right to pull him up.

What do you mean in that second sentence? Horses come out of races and works all the time with fractures, chips, etc.

And this one would be a curious one to question. They didn't fly across the country with the top horse in the country to pull him up, put him on the shelf for 2 months, all for..... what, some kind of inexplicable betting coup? Hollendorfer put his life savings down on Moreno, even though he lost more when SB lost?

JustRalph
04-23-2015, 05:16 PM
What do you mean in that second sentence? Horses come out of races and works all the time with fractures, chips, etc.

And this one would be a curious one to question. They didn't fly across the country with the top horse in the country to pull him up, put him on the shelf for 2 months, all for..... what, some kind of inexplicable betting coup? Hollendorfer put his life savings down on Moreno, even though he lost more when SB lost?

No I don't believe they flew cross country for some nefarious reason. But wouldn't it be nice if you stacked a ton of cash on the horse and you were left shaking your head after the race, you get to see the actual x ray? That would be breaking ground in my opine. Completely transparent. Like I said, breaking some ground in a way.

Prairie Bettor
04-23-2015, 05:17 PM
Too bad there aren't pre-race warm-ups so the jickey could diagnose before bettors money is on the line...

chadk66
04-23-2015, 06:20 PM
Too bad there aren't pre-race warm-ups so the jickey could diagnose before bettors money is on the line...there is:lol:

Brogan
04-23-2015, 06:41 PM
Too bad there aren't pre-race warm-ups so the jickey could diagnose before bettors money is on the line...
Maybe they could come up with a way that the betting public could get a look at the horses before they go on the track too. :D

Rex Phinney
04-23-2015, 07:18 PM
Man lots of sour grapes in hear I think. The horse obviously got hurt, these things happen.

Sounds like some of you would want a refund if Tom Brady turned an ankle during a game too.

Anyone betting on SB at that price IMO deserved to lose their money anyway. That was a race to keep your hands in your pockets if I ever saw one.

bks
04-24-2015, 08:05 AM
This is the part I am curious about. I cannot imagine he could have much of a crack and kept running........ They should put up an X ray......show us.

Didn't you see it, Ralph? They posted it on a web site right next to Obama's birth certificate. :rolleyes:

The horse is a gelding. His value is exclusively on the race track. There are zero plausible scenarios under which it makes sense to tank a $1.5M race, and then sit out another 2-3 months of racing during which another million or two might have been earned while the owners sit under a shaded canopy at Del Mar or Saratoga.

chadk66
04-24-2015, 08:07 AM
Maybe they could come up with a way that the betting public could get a look at the horses before they go on the track too. :DI think vetting them out in the paddock if desired is totally acceptable

chadk66
04-24-2015, 08:08 AM
Didn't you see it, Ralph? They posted it on a web site right next to Obama's birth certificate. :rolleyes:

The horse is a gelding. His value is exclusively on the race track. There are zero plausible scenarios under which it makes sense to tank a $1.5M race, and then sit out another 2-3 months of racing during which another million or two might have been earned while the owners sit under a shaded canopy at Del Mar or Saratoga.yea makes perfect sense. but only if your giving yourself a colonoscopy with your own head.:D