PDA

View Full Version : How many now defunct horse racing tracks did you attend?

Inner Dirt
04-20-2015, 05:42 PM
Been going to the track for 40 years, step-dad took me to Los Alamitos in 1975 at the age of 14. Fairplex (originally Pomona) that I attended fair meetings at for 30 years is now gone, so is Hollywood Park, I went to for 30 years+. Also RIP to Agua Caliente that I attended from 1990 to it's closure to horse racing in 1993, they still have sports betting and dog racing there I believe. My list of dead horse tracks is at 3, auto racing tracks is much worse.

chadk66
04-20-2015, 05:55 PM
Balmoral and Birmingham.

illinoisbred
04-20-2015, 05:56 PM
Washington Park and Sportsmans Park.

OCF
04-20-2015, 06:09 PM
Aksarben and Bay Meadows

How could I forget Hollywood Park?

And The Woodlands?

I'm getting depressed.

Donttellmeshowme
04-20-2015, 06:09 PM
Bandera

Overlay
04-20-2015, 06:10 PM
My list, as far as I can determine:

Thoroughbred:

Bay Meadows
Cahokia Downs
Hollywood Park
Sportsman's Park

Standardbred:

Blue Bonnets Raceway (Montreal)
Louisville Downs
Quad City Downs
Roosevelt Raceway

Sparky13
04-20-2015, 06:12 PM
Beulah Park

charm city whizz
04-20-2015, 06:14 PM
garden state
Atlantic city

DSB
04-20-2015, 06:18 PM
I've raced at a few:

Commodore, Green Mountain, Great Barrington, Northampton, Marshfield. Most have been gone for decades.

Others I've worked at or attended:

Old Garden State, New Garden State, Atlantic City, Liberty Bell, Narragansett, Detroit, Hollywood.

Lots of harness, jai alai, and dog tracks.

rrpic6
04-20-2015, 06:18 PM
Beulah
Detroit Race Course
Hollywood
River Downs (Don't know if that counts)
Sportsman's Park
Atlantic City (Maybe its done)
Garden State Park

RR

River11
04-20-2015, 06:30 PM
Cahokia Downs, Sportsmans Park, Tropical Park, Marlboro Race Track, Bluegrass Downs (thoroughbreds), Suffolk Downs?, River Downs (old grandstands), Beulah Park, Arlington Park (old grandstands), El Commandante PR (old track). Quad City Downs.

Inner Dirt
04-20-2015, 07:01 PM
Cahokia Downs, Sportsmans Park, Tropical Park, Marlboro Race Track, Bluegrass Downs (thoroughbreds), Suffolk Downs?, River Downs (old grandstands), Beulah Park, Arlington Park (old grandstands), El Commandante PR (old track). Quad City Downs.

Please stay away from Charles Town, Aqueduct and Laurel since I recently moved to the East Coast I would like to attend them in person, you seem to be as poison to horse racing tracks as I am to car racing tracks. I have only killed 3 horse racing tracks, but have killed almost a dozen car or motorcycle tracks.

mostpost
04-20-2015, 07:10 PM
Balmoral and Birmingham.Balmoral is not defunct. It is very much funct, racing harness four nights a week.

mostpost
04-20-2015, 07:12 PM
Washington Park, Bay Meadows, Sportsman's Park, Aurora Downs,Quad City Downs.

DSB
04-20-2015, 07:18 PM
I've just been notified that I forgot Rockingham.... I hope that's the only one.....

spang99
04-20-2015, 07:20 PM
Md: Bowie
Mich : Detroit
Ohio : Ascot, Randall, Beulah
Ontario : Greenwood
Pa: Commodore Downs ( What a long strange trip that place was :eek: )

biggestal99
04-20-2015, 07:21 PM
Bay meadows, roosevelt raceway, garden state

Allan

wisconsin
04-20-2015, 07:45 PM
Aurora Downs, Washington Park, Sportsman's Park, Beulah, Hollywood, Suffolk (although they may race again), Lincoln. Wausau Fair no longer races, either.

Did not count River Downs, location alive and well.

Stillriledup
04-20-2015, 07:46 PM
Does Hialeah count? They went "defunct" for a while, so if you went to their track many years ago, you may get credit for that.

Also, Keystone. Do they count? I know they are now "parx" and before that" Pha Park" but there's no more Keystone...i think anyone who went to the Key should get credit. :ThmbUp:

Tom
04-20-2015, 08:29 PM
Liberty Bell, Greenwood, Pocono, Detroit.

Stillriledup
04-20-2015, 08:45 PM

Pocono? :D

thespaah
04-20-2015, 08:56 PM
Been going to the track for 40 years, step-dad took me to Los Alamitos in 1975 at the age of 14. Fairplex (originally Pomona) that I attended fair meetings at for 30 years is now gone, so is Hollywood Park, I went to for 30 years+. Also RIP to Agua Caliente that I attended from 1990 to it's closure to horse racing in 1993, they still have sports betting and dog racing there I believe. My list of dead horse tracks is at 3, auto racing tracks is much worse.
Roosevelt, Brandywine, Liberty Bell, Garden State Park..Does Hialeah count?

thespaah
04-20-2015, 08:57 PM
Oops. Forgot Birmingham Turf Club

Tom
04-20-2015, 08:57 PM
Pocono? :D
Pocono Downs - used to run T Breds.

thespaah
04-20-2015, 08:58 PM
One more....Atlantic City.....

thespaah
04-20-2015, 09:01 PM
Pocono still races harness today. Through at least the late 70's PCD did have a Thoroughbred meet

horses4courses
04-20-2015, 09:16 PM
Narragansett....now there's a blast from the past

Never saw a race from there, or placed a bet on it.
But, I can't get The Sting out of my head
whenever I hear that name.

The late actor Ray Walston as J.J. doing the race calls. :cool:

kAi0cSCUWfg

Then I came across this - a history of the racetrack.

ueFbT3L7Yzw

ronsmac
04-20-2015, 09:18 PM
Bowie, Agua Caliente, Northampton, Great Barrington, Marshfield, Hollywood Park, Marlboro, Dover Throughbreds and Shenandoah as a very young kid and a few dog tracks.

Fingal
04-20-2015, 09:37 PM
Hollywood Park & Fairplex.

Hollywood Park I miss.

Elliott Sidewater
04-20-2015, 10:03 PM
Liberty Bell, Brandywine, Bowie, Longacres, Garden State, Atlantic City. My favorites among these were Atlantic City and Longacres. Used to make day trips to ATL on Fridays or Saturdays in the late 70's, once went the entire meet (1978 I think) without a losing day in 15 trips. Longacres I visited while on business (around 1990), loved the 5 PM post and twilight racing, gorgeous mountain scenery, country fair atmosphere, back in your room by 9:30 PM. Now THAT was fun. The racing wasn't bad, but the overall experience was off the charts enjoyable. Never got to Emerald Downs, but I always wondered whether it was even half as much fun as old Longacres.

LottaKash
04-20-2015, 10:10 PM
Yikes !, where has all time gone ?...

When, I saw this thread, I started to reminisce of where and when I have been to the races, and I was surprised to recall of all the tracks that I have been to, and now are gone... :(

Liberty Bell Park
Brandywine Raceway
Freestate Raceway
Georgetown Raceway
Green Mountain Park
Rockingham Park
Foxboro Raceway
Lincoln Downs
Roosevelt Raceway
Old Tioga Park
Sportsmans Park
Atlantic City Racecourse
Garden State Park
Hialeah Park
Tropical Park
Beulah Park
Blue Bonnets Raceway

Been to a few Doggie places too, just can't remember the names..

Elliott Sidewater
04-20-2015, 10:18 PM
Does Hialeah count? They went "defunct" for a while, so if you went to their track many years ago, you may get credit for that.

Also, Keystone. Do they count? I know they are now "parx" and before that" Pha Park" but there's no more Keystone...i think anyone who went to the Key should get credit. :ThmbUp:

Keystone doesn't count, even though its on its 3rd name. I was there the day it opened, November 4, 1974. The track was lightning fast (but fair) for the first 3 weeks, then it rained hard and the track was never the same. I think they still have the same drainage problem they had then, 41 years later. But I'm sure they'll fix it soon :liar:

Once upon a time my handmade (Andy Beyer inspired) speed figures gave me a substantial edge there, but now that's a fleeting memory. On many racing days, with the high takeout and whale money in the pools every Mon and Tues when there's nothing better to do, it's tough as nails hard to win there. But I haven't given up yet.

I forgot Pocono Downs, I saw t-breds race there once, in the 70's.

coachv30
04-20-2015, 10:39 PM
This is crazy.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUqHVP02yM0

Scanman
04-20-2015, 10:59 PM
United States
Ak-Sar-Ben
Anthony Downs
Atlantic City
Bay Meadows
Belmont Plantation
Beulah Park
Birmingham Turf Club
Cochise County Fair
Dayton
Eureka Downs
Fairplex Park
Flagstaff
Garden State Park
Great Lakes Downs
Hialeah Park
Hollywood Park
Hoosier Park
Jefferson Downs
Lincoln
Little Everglades
Longacres
Mohave County Fair
Morvern Park
Palm Beach
Pinnacle
River Downs
Tanglewood Park
Yavapai Downs

Australia
Exmouth

Belgium
Groenendaal
Sterrebeek

Canada
Melville Agri-Park

Germany
Gelsenkirchen

Ireland
Tralee

Mexico
Agua Caliente

Switzerland
Saignelegier

United Kingdom
Folkestone
Hereford

Track Collector
04-20-2015, 11:06 PM
My list would include the following TB / QH tracks:

AZ --> Duncan, Safford, Douglas, Flagstaff, St. John, Yavapai
CA --> Solano, Bay Meadows, Fairplex, Hollywood Park
KS --> Anthony, Eureka
MD --> Bowie, Marlboro
MA --> Brockton, Great Barrington, Northampton
MI --> Great Lakes Downs, Mount Pleasant Meadows
MT --> Western Montana Fair, Kalispel
NE --> Atokad (clever name, Dakota spelled backwards, but track is over the border in Nebraska. Then again As-Sar-Ben was already taken. :))
NH --> Rockingham
NJ --> Garden State
OH --> Beulah, River Downs
OK --> Blue Ribbon Downs
TX --> Manor Downs
WA --> Walla Walla, Waitsburg, Dayton
Canada --> Stampede Park, Kin Park, Sunflower Downs

A few of these have a remote possibility of racing again. I did not include Suffolk (they will be racing in 2015), and Calder (same track but now called Gulf Stream West). Also I am not really interested in dog tracks, but one I used to go to for their horse simulcasting in Hinsdale, NH is defunct.

So sad to see so many of these gone. :(

Track Collector
04-20-2015, 11:22 PM
United States
Ak-Sar-Ben
Anthony Downs
Atlantic City
Bay Meadows
Belmont Plantation
Beulah Park
Birmingham Turf Club
Cochise County Fair
Dayton
Eureka Downs
Fairplex Park
Flagstaff
Garden State Park
Great Lakes Downs
Hialeah Park
Hollywood Park
Hoosier Park
Jefferson Downs
Lincoln
Little Everglades
Longacres
Mohave County Fair
Morvern Park
Palm Beach
Pinnacle
River Downs
Tanglewood Park
Yavapai Downs

Australia
Exmouth

Belgium
Groenendaal
Sterrebeek

Canada
Melville Agri-Park

Germany
Gelsenkirchen

Ireland
Tralee

Mexico
Agua Caliente

Switzerland
Saignelegier

United Kingdom
Folkestone
Hereford

Hey how you been my friend!!

I'm going to make a real effort to go to Melville District Agripark if they ever run again. I think you rated them an "F" regarding your visit experience, but hey, I have different (lower) standards. ;)

I'm excited to know that a racing circuit is being revived in WY. In addition to Wyoming Downs and Sweetwater Downs which ran in 2014, year 2015 will see CWF (Central Wyoming Fair in Casper), and Ene (Energy Downs in Gillette) returning to racing after a very long time. Racing will be mostly QH, but I'm on the verge of purchasing airfare to go to the planned 3-day meet in Gillette in late September. :jump:

Zaf
04-20-2015, 11:29 PM
Parr Meadows
Roosevelt Raceway
Liberty Bell
Blue Bonnets
Atlantic City
Garden State
Green Mountain Raceway
Wonderland
Brandywine
Foxboro
Elmira
Scarborough Downs ???

Z

horses4courses
04-20-2015, 11:33 PM
[QUOTE=Scanman]Ireland Tralee

Wow.....I wasn't aware that Tralee had closed down.
2008....Listowel is only 16 miles up the road, though.

I never went to the races that far south in Ireland.
Two tracks that I went to in Dublin in the 60s/70s
that shut down were Baldoyle and Phoenix Park.

Good memories, especially Phoenix Park. :ThmbUp:

Btw, Scanman, that is a very impressive list of world racetracks.
You must have been to dozens more that are still running. :ThmbUp:

taxicab
04-21-2015, 12:34 AM
Bay Meadows
DRC
Solano County Fairgrounds {Vallejo}

Helles
04-21-2015, 05:19 AM
Centennial Race Track, Littleton, CO.

rastajenk
04-21-2015, 07:29 AM
Many of you have expressed, in one way or another, a desire for fewer tracks as a way to make racing stronger. Like it will enhance the purity of your simulcasting experience, or something. Well, this thread is proof that contraction has been going on for a long time. When will we begin to see the benefits of it?

Every small track that goes down takes with it local horse farms and owners, and owners' friends, and casual others that do not have the resources or the inclination to travel further to attend live racing.

Most of the places listed here went belly-up before the age of simulcasting; did something change in about 1995 in the dynamics of horse racing appeal to make contraction a worthy goal? Not that I can see. Technology is not creating new fans at the rate existing ones are drifting away. Continued contraction will only speed up the process toward extinction.

Occupy Your Local Track! Oppose the income inequality for owners that will result from fewer tracks! And any other to-the-barricades slogans and manifestos that fit! We are the ones we've been waiting for to save racing...if you're not part of the solution, you're the problem! Every one is guilty of all the good he did not do! :jump:

And so on...you get the idea: cheap local racing good; contraction bad.

:)

Inner Dirt
04-21-2015, 09:23 AM
Seeing these huge lists makes me envious of all the places some of you have been. I have only been to 10 tracks in all 40 years of betting, as a disclaimer I am somewhat claustrophobic and not comfortable packed like a sardine in an airplane. Also being now a self employed army of one I cannot take long vacations, I am willing to drive all day to get some where. Living in Central Virginia now looking forward to visiting New Jersey, New York and West Virginia tracks soon

wisconsin
04-21-2015, 10:22 AM
Seeing these huge lists makes me envious of all the places some of you have been. I have only been to 10 tracks in all 40 years of betting, as a disclaimer I am somewhat claustrophobic and not comfortable packed like a sardine in an airplane. Also being now a self employed army of one I cannot take long vacations, I am willing to drive all day to get some where. Living in Central Virginia now looking forward to visiting New Jersey, New York and West Virginia tracks soon

It's so worth it to visit tracks whenever feasible.

PaceAdvantage
04-21-2015, 10:35 AM
Roosevelt Raceway (the first track I ever went to)
Rockingham Park
Suffolk Downs (does this count yet as defunct?)
Wonderland (dog track in MA)

I think that's it...I don't get out much... :lol:

elhelmete
04-21-2015, 11:26 AM
Rockingham
'gansett
Foxboro
Detroit
Hollywood
Pomona

Inner Dirt
04-21-2015, 12:26 PM
Rockingham
'gansett
Foxboro
Detroit
Hollywood
Pomona

Since you said Pomona instead of Fairplex you must have attended before they lengthened it from 1/2 mile to 5/8 mile and before OTB's. Those were the days, it was a cherry patch for me even though I was just starting out. Admission to the track was free with LA County fair admission so the pools probably had more unschooled money than anywhere else. Unfortunately it ran only 3 weeks a year.

Wickel
04-21-2015, 01:34 PM
The Downs at Santa Fe (New Mexico)
La Mesa Park (New Mexico)
Bandera Downs (Texas)
Centennial Park (Colorado)
Hollywood Park (LA)

jakew
04-21-2015, 01:53 PM
thistledown

kinznk
04-21-2015, 01:56 PM
I have only been to 5 tracks, 3 of which are no more: Longacres, Playfair, and Hollywood.

Valuist
04-21-2015, 02:22 PM
Hialeah, Sportsman's, Bay Meadows, & Beulah

I guess Hia is still running quarter horses but I really don't count that.

five-eighths
04-21-2015, 03:19 PM
Have been to 6 tracks, 3 have been closed:

Jackson(closed), Colonial Downs (closed), Pimlico, Hazel Park,
Sport Creek (closed), Northville

DSB
04-21-2015, 05:55 PM
I've raced at a few:

Commodore, Green Mountain, Great Barrington, Northampton, Marshfield. Most have been gone for decades.

Others I've worked at or attended:

Old Garden State, New Garden State, Atlantic City, Liberty Bell, Narragansett, Detroit, Hollywood.

Lots of harness, jai alai, and dog tracks.

Forgot Pocono. Forgot Rockingham earlier.

Colonial may open again, so I didn't count it.

If we're counting tracks with new grandstands, then I'll add River Downs and the Meadowlands.

hadrianmarcus
04-21-2015, 08:35 PM
Hollywood Park (It's closing hurt the most!)
Bay Meadows
Hialeah Park (Counting it until they run t-breds again)
Colonial Downs (I think it's really dead)
Shenandoah Downs
Ak-Sar-Ben
Bowie Race Track

Scanman
04-21-2015, 08:57 PM
Hey how you been my friend!!

I'm going to make a real effort to go to Melville District Agripark if they ever run again. I think you rated them an "F" regarding your visit experience, but hey, I have different (lower) standards. ;)

I'm excited to know that a racing circuit is being revived in WY. In addition to Wyoming Downs and Sweetwater Downs which ran in 2014, year 2015 will see CWF (Central Wyoming Fair in Casper), and Ene (Energy Downs in Gillette) returning to racing after a very long time. Racing will be mostly QH, but I'm on the verge of purchasing airfare to go to the planned 3-day meet in Gillette in late September. :jump:I am well, hoping the best for you. How was Mahoning Valley? I tried to make it up to the My Lady Manor (steeplechase, Monkton, MD) and Mahoning Valley, but it came up on me too fast and just couldn't make the arrangements.

Great "heads up" on the Wyoming scene. I may try to put a trip together that includes Wyoming Downs, but I will have to monitor the condition book to see if they have a day tilted towards thoroughbreds. I'm heading out to the Brown County Fair (SD) and Miles City (MT) next month. Been waiting for Miles City to have a card that would suit and May 10 has 3 out of 5 thoroughbred races. Hopefully, it will fill that way, so I can count it.

I doubt that Melville Agri-Park will ever run again, but for your sake, I hope they do. Here's a little taste:

http://i1341.photobucket.com/albums/o741/tmiscannon/MELVILLE-1_zpsarc0347c.jpg
The Entrance
http://i1341.photobucket.com/albums/o741/tmiscannon/MELVILLE-6_zps5msht6gh.jpg
The Stands
http://i1341.photobucket.com/albums/o741/tmiscannon/MELVILLE-7_zpsvdeff1ts.jpg
The Paddock and Far/Home Turns
http://i1341.photobucket.com/albums/o741/tmiscannon/MELVILLE-11_zpsa8b3t7mr.jpg
Paddock Pre-Race
http://i1341.photobucket.com/albums/o741/tmiscannon/MELVILLE-15_zpsmiar8w1l.jpg
And, They're Off
http://i1341.photobucket.com/albums/o741/tmiscannon/MELVILLE-18_zpsf926ylfu.jpg
The Finish Line
http://i1341.photobucket.com/albums/o741/tmiscannon/MELVILLE-19_zpstyuszwhr.jpg
The Winner's Circle

Scanman
04-21-2015, 09:38 PM
[QUOTE=Scanman]Ireland Tralee

Wow.....I wasn't aware that Tralee had closed down.
2008....Listowel is only 16 miles up the road, though.

I never went to the races that far south in Ireland.
Two tracks that I went to in Dublin in the 60s/70s
that shut down were Baldoyle and Phoenix Park.

Good memories, especially Phoenix Park. :ThmbUp:I think I caught Tralee right before they closed (Aug 24, '07) or ceased to run "under rules". They still use the racecourse for the North Kerry Point-To-Point. This year they ran on January 18th, so if you still wanted to have a day out there, you could give it a try next year.

Concerning Ireland:
My favorite/nicest: Leopardstown. Got to see a young up-and-coming trainer by the name of Aiden O'Brien train a pretty nice horse named Itsabraq win the Europe Champion Hurdle.
Most Picturesque: Sligo. It is my "Santa Anita" of Ireland with Benbulbin as its backdrop.
Most Unique: Laytown. Had a fantastic day out watching them run on the strand.
One the short list to attend: Killarney. I'm told the scenery surrounding the racecourse is incredible.

Here's a couple of Tralee for you:
http://i1341.photobucket.com/albums/o741/tmiscannon/TRALEE-4_zpsdtkot7rs.jpg
The Stands
http://i1341.photobucket.com/albums/o741/tmiscannon/TRALEE-5_zps0kv1vvqq.jpg
The Paddock
http://i1341.photobucket.com/albums/o741/tmiscannon/TRALEE-6_zpste6opszk.jpg
The Finish Line

horses4courses
04-21-2015, 09:43 PM
Great stuff, Scanman :ThmbUp:

If you haven't already done so, the Galway meeting
at the end of July is an amazing experience.

Try it, if you ever get the chance - but book early,
the entire city is taken over for the week.
It's a giant party with great racing!

Scanman
04-21-2015, 09:49 PM
Btw, Scanman, that is a very impressive list of world racetracks. You must have been to dozens more that are still running. :ThmbUp:Yeah, the current count is 340. It'll probably be a few years till I make it back to Europe or Australia. They are the areas that still have a lot of racecourses that I haven't visited. Only have 20 or so left in the US/Canada, so I plan to go to the following this year:
Brown County Fair (SD)
Miles City (MT)
Hazel Park (MI)
Chippewa Downs (ND)
Belterra Park (OH)
Van Wert County Fair (OH)
Camarero (PR)
Ellis Thomas Downs (BVI)

Scanman
04-21-2015, 10:03 PM
Great stuff, Scanman :ThmbUp:

If you haven't already done so, the Galway meeting
at the end of July is an amazing experience.

Try it, if you ever get the chance - but book early,
the entire city is taken over for the week.
It's a giant party with great racing!Thanks h4c. Love going racing, but even more, experiencing the uniqueness of racing in different countries (15 to date). Going racing in Ireland is an awesome experience because it is woven into the culture. It's a coin flip as to who are more passionate about racing, the Irish or the Aussies.

Yes, I have been to Galway (Sep 10, '07). It's a fantastic racecourse experience, even though I didn't back many winners that day. I'm sure that the festival is incredible, however, I try to avoid excessively crowded race days.

Scanman
04-21-2015, 10:07 PM
Many of you have expressed, in one way or another, a desire for fewer tracks as a way to make racing stronger. Like it will enhance the purity of your simulcasting experience, or something. Well, this thread is proof that contraction has been going on for a long time. When will we begin to see the benefits of it?

Every small track that goes down takes with it local horse farms and owners, and owners' friends, and casual others that do not have the resources or the inclination to travel further to attend live racing.

Most of the places listed here went belly-up before the age of simulcasting; did something change in about 1995 in the dynamics of horse racing appeal to make contraction a worthy goal? Not that I can see. Technology is not creating new fans at the rate existing ones are drifting away. Continued contraction will only speed up the process toward extinction.

Occupy Your Local Track! Oppose the income inequality for owners that will result from fewer tracks! And any other to-the-barricades slogans and manifestos that fit! We are the ones we've been waiting for to save racing...if you're not part of the solution, you're the problem! Every one is guilty of all the good he did not do! :jump:

And so on...you get the idea: cheap local racing good; contraction bad.

:)Very well said! :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

horses4courses
04-21-2015, 10:08 PM
Thanks h4c. Love going racing, but even more, experiencing the uniqueness of racing in different countries (15 to date). Going racing in Ireland is an awesome experience because it is woven into the culture. It's a coin flip as to who are more passionate about racing, the Irish or the Aussies.

Yes, I have been to Galway (Sep 10, '07). It's a fantastic racecourse experience, even though I didn't back many winners that day. I'm sure that the festival is incredible, however, I try to avoid excessively crowded race days.

Well, you're obviously an ambassador for the sport.
Tracks over the world should welcome you with open arms.
Worthy of a good documentary, I would think.
More power to you! :ThmbUp:

Scanman
04-21-2015, 10:25 PM
Seeing these huge lists makes me envious of all the places some of you have been. I have only been to 10 tracks in all 40 years of betting, as a disclaimer I am somewhat claustrophobic and not comfortable packed like a sardine in an airplane. Also being now a self employed army of one I cannot take long vacations, I am willing to drive all day to get some where. Living in Central Virginia now looking forward to visiting New Jersey, New York and West Virginia tracks soonLots of great racing within a couple of hours drive of your location. Do you enjoy steeplechasing? Here's the Spring schedule:
Foxfield Spring, April 25 Charlottesville (Non-Wagering)
Virginia Gold Cup, May 2 The Plains (Pari-Mutual)

Here's the Fall schedule:
Foxfield Fall, September 27 Charlottesville (Non-Wagering)
Virginia Fall, October 10 Middleburg (Non-Wagering)
International Gold Cup, October 24 The Plains (Wagering)
Montpelier, November 7 Montpelier Station (Non-Wagering)

Admission can be a little high, but because most, if not all, are fundraisers and I think some portion of the admission is a tax write-off (if you itemize).

I've been to all of them and they are all a great day out. However, if you need the betting action (small pools), I couldn't recommend The Plains high enough. The jumps course is the best layout in the US and starting last year, they've added a number of VA state-bred flat races.

Valuist
04-21-2015, 11:27 PM
Yeah, the current count is 340. It'll probably be a few years till I make it back to Europe or Australia. They are the areas that still have a lot of racecourses that I haven't visited. Only have 20 or so left in the US/Canada, so I plan to go to the following this year:
Brown County Fair (SD)
Miles City (MT)
Hazel Park (MI)
Chippewa Downs (ND)
Belterra Park (OH)
Van Wert County Fair (OH)
Camarero (PR)
Ellis Thomas Downs (BVI)

I've never known anyone who's been to Camarero in Puerto Rico. I know Jamaica also has a track near Kingston. Don't know anyone who's been there, either.

Scanman
04-21-2015, 11:46 PM
I've never known anyone who's been to Camarero in Puerto Rico. I know Jamaica also has a track near Kingston. Don't know anyone who's been there, either.With family not in town for Christmas this year, I figured we would give Camarero a try (I believe they run on Christmas Day). But if not on Christmas Day, one of the days preceding. Then, we would try for one of the Boxing Day meets somewhere in the Caribbean, probably on one of the Virgin Islands. Most likely BVI, but it could be the track on St. Thomas or St. Croix. Logistically, putting this trip together could be quite a challenge.

Inner Dirt
04-22-2015, 07:55 AM
I would say Agri-Park Downs looks to be a no frills operation, can you even get a beer and a hot dog there? That jockey in the winner's circle looks rather large to make the common weight of 122 or less.

Aner
04-22-2015, 11:07 AM
No one has mentioned Tanforan, a track south of San Francisco that burned down in 1964.

One day I was there with my buddy Don (at that time a new acquaintance) and he asked a person in our group to buy him a ticket on Vegas Bandit. In those days there were long lines at the selling windows (shorter lines at the cashing windows) so we took turns standing in line with bets from the whole group. This friend brought back a ticket on a different horse that also has Vegas in his name. When Don decided not to mention the mistake, I called him magnanimous. When Don stiffened up, I asked why. He said he thought it was a negative term. We often joked about it later on. Don passed away in 1990 during the running of the Kentucky Derby while I was at Golden Gate Fields making Don's last bet -a win ticket on the undefeated Mr. Frisky. Mr. Frisky lost too.

affirmedny
04-22-2015, 11:47 AM
TB- hollywood, green mountain, beulah, rockingham, scarborough, garden state(old & new), atlantic city

Harness- garden state, brandywine, liberty bell, foxboro, hinsdale, sportsmans, lebanon, lewiston, roosevelt, blue bonnets

johnhannibalsmith
04-22-2015, 12:14 PM
Scanman and Track Collecter still the only two people to have been to Yavapai and they've seen racing on Jupiter.

PhantomOnTour
04-22-2015, 12:30 PM
Jefferson Downs in Kenner, La
the old Evangeline Downs in Carencro, La

I have been to Camarero in San Juan when it was known as El Comandante...even visited Flambouyant Downs in St. Croix, USVI

codysakic
04-22-2015, 01:13 PM
Bandera Downs and G Rollie White Downs. The latter was a track in the middle of nowhere in Brady Texas. I went there as a kid with my grandfather and great uncle in 1989 when the track opened.

Probably the only on this forum that has even heard of that track.

Scanman
04-22-2015, 01:29 PM
Scanman and Track Collecter still the only two people to have been to Yavapai and they've seen racing on Jupiter.
Too funny!!! :) :) :)

I'll tell you, transiting to some of these remote tracks seems what it might be like to drive on Jupiter.

Shame about Yavapai. Hope they can get it going again. Such a nice little track.

elhelmete
04-22-2015, 01:31 PM
Are Hazel Park and Thistledown really closed?

I thought HP ran a TB meet last year?

PhantomOnTour
04-22-2015, 01:31 PM
Jefferson Downs in Kenner, La
the old Evangeline Downs in Carencro, La

I have been to Camarero in San Juan when it was known as El Comandante...even visited Flambouyant Downs in St. Croix, USVI
Make that Flambouyant Park, not Downs...and it's now known as Doc James Park

Scanman
04-22-2015, 01:32 PM
I have been to Camarero in San Juan when it was known as El Comandante...even visited Flambouyant Downs in St. Croix, USVIPhantom - If/ (hopefully) when I make that trip I'll probably PM you for your advice.

PaceAdvantage
04-22-2015, 01:40 PM

I thought HP ran a TB meet last year?Thistle opens on 4/27 (yeah, opening on a Monday...what? lol)...definitely not closed

Hazel is still running too, at least they were last year...

five-eighths
04-22-2015, 03:33 PM

I thought HP ran a TB meet last year?

Hazel Park is definitely open, in fact they extended the meet last year since Northville was unable to convert their track in time. Looking forward to Opening Day on May 1st.

gillenr
04-22-2015, 03:36 PM
I've never known anyone who's been to Camarero in Puerto Rico. I know Jamaica also has a track near Kingston. Don't know anyone who's been there, either.
Don't remember the name, but went there on our honeymoon & El Commandante. I think I've been to 2 El Commandantes but not Camarero.

Shemp Howard
04-22-2015, 08:38 PM
Keystone doesn't count, even though its on its 3rd name. I was there the day it opened, November 4, 1974. The track was lightning fast (but fair) for the first 3 weeks, then it rained hard and the track was never the same. I think they still have the same drainage problem they had then, 41 years later. But I'm sure they'll fix it soon :liar:

Once upon a time my handmade (Andy Beyer inspired) speed figures gave me a substantial edge there, but now that's a fleeting memory. On many racing days, with the high takeout and whale money in the pools every Mon and Tues when there's nothing better to do, it's tough as nails hard to win there. But I haven't given up yet.

I forgot Pocono Downs, I saw t-breds race there once, in the 70's.

Cool Spring Park won the stake that day. Track record still stands.

cnollfan
04-22-2015, 11:24 PM
Centennial Park, Denver CO
La Mesa Park, Raton, NM
Santa Fe Downs, Santa Fe, NM
AkSarBen, Omaha, NE
Lincoln State Fair, Lincoln, NE
Atokad, South Sioux City, NE
Hialeah, Hialeah, FL
Bowie Race Course, Bowie, MD
Rockingham Park, NH
Garden State Park (old), Camden, NJ
Woodlands, Kansas City, KS

BIGTKLO
04-23-2015, 10:38 AM
Beulah
Great Barrington
Bay Meadows
Hollywood Park
Vallejo (Solano County Fair)
Green Mountain

cnollfan
04-23-2015, 01:37 PM
I left Beulah off my list. Loved it. Keeneland lite.

lamboguy
04-23-2015, 02:18 PM
Scarborough
Green Mountain
Great Barrington, North Hampton, Weymouth, Marshfield, Brockton fairs
Lincoln
Naragansett
Garden State
Atlantic City
Bowie
Birmingham
Seminole
Hialeah
Blue Grass Downs

left 2 out Rockingham and Sufolk

Track Collector
04-23-2015, 03:19 PM
Great Barrington

:jump::jump:

When were you there?

I was lucky enough to add this track to my visit list. A hurricane destroyed the grandstands in 1995, which was subsequently rebuilt when owner Henry Vara Jr. benefited from some insurance monies. They raced in 1997 and 1998.

It was in 1998 that I met a fellow track collector (Gary), and a special friendship has been on-going since then. We have been on more the 30+ track collecting trips together since than time.

As an aside, it was truly amazing that one day last year when Gary and I were visiting a small racing fair in Ely, NV (White Pine Raceway) we happened to find out that Scanman (Tom) would be there that day as well! Long story short, we ended up getting interviewed and our picture taken by the local paper newspaper. Amongst the 3 of us an approximate total of 570 track visits were "collected". More visits to get in too! :jump:

BIGTKLO
04-23-2015, 03:25 PM
Late 70's or early 80's. My father was from Waterbury, Connecticut and we would venture back east in the summer.

levinmpa
04-23-2015, 09:09 PM
There was a similar thread in 2011 titled "Tracks visited....that no longer exist". In that thread I posted:

Attended Races Live
Bay Meadows
Sportsman's Park
Garden State Park
Solano (Vallejo, CA, Solano County Fair did not race in 2011)
Rockingham Park (Still exists, but no thoroughbred racing for several years)

Did not attend races, but have seen facility in person
Ak-sar-ben
Bowie

Since the 2011 thread, I can add:
Atlantic City Race Course
Hollywood Park
Fairplex Park (Pomona)
Beulah Park

paulbenny
04-23-2015, 09:36 PM
Longacres, Renton, Washington.
Sportsman's Park, Cicero, Illinois.
Bowie Race Course, Bowie, Maryland
Garden State Park, New Jersey
Northampton Fair, Northampton, Mass
Great Barrington Fair, Great Barrington, Mass
Atlantic City still runs, but I have been there too.
Bay Meadows.

This makes me feel old

phattty
04-23-2015, 10:37 PM
Atlantic city ....garden state.....Bowie......shanondoah......Georgetown... .brandy wine....liberty bell....Tampa greyhounds....Roosevelt raceway

minethatbird08
04-23-2015, 11:26 PM
No one has mentioned Tanforan, a track south of San Francisco that burned down in 1964.

One day I was there with my buddy Don (at that time a new acquaintance) and he asked a person in our group to buy him a ticket on Vegas Bandit. In those days there were long lines at the selling windows (shorter lines at the cashing windows) so we took turns standing in line with bets from the whole group. This friend brought back a ticket on a different horse that also has Vegas in his name. When Don decided not to mention the mistake, I called him magnanimous. When Don stiffened up, I asked why. He said he thought it was a negative term. We often joked about it later on. Don passed away in 1990 during the running of the Kentucky Derby while I was at Golden Gate Fields making Don's last bet -a win ticket on the undefeated Mr. Frisky. Mr. Frisky lost too.

Sorry about the loss of your friend. Great story, thanks for sharing.

ultracapper
04-24-2015, 03:01 AM
Liberty Bell, Brandywine, Bowie, Longacres, Garden State, Atlantic City. My favorites among these were Atlantic City and Longacres. Used to make day trips to ATL on Fridays or Saturdays in the late 70's, once went the entire meet (1978 I think) without a losing day in 15 trips. Longacres I visited while on business (around 1990), loved the 5 PM post and twilight racing, gorgeous mountain scenery, country fair atmosphere, back in your room by 9:30 PM. Now THAT was fun. The racing wasn't bad, but the overall experience was off the charts enjoyable. Never got to Emerald Downs, but I always wondered whether it was even half as much fun as old Longacres.

Longacres. God, I loved that track. Emerald is a bad imposter. Feel horrible about it because Ron Crockett has done an absolutely heroic job in keeping live horse racing in the Seattle area this long.

Can't even share all the beautiful stories I have about Longacres. I was young, and energetic, and ALL the scenery was beautiful down there.

Robert Goren
04-24-2015, 06:38 AM
I am afraid that I have forgotten about a bunk of them. I do fond memories of a few. Longacres is one that I liked. Aksarben in the 1960s, in the 1980s and 1990s not so much. A little track in Madison that billed itself as the Saratoga of the plains.

onefast99
04-24-2015, 10:21 AM
Garden state
Atlantic city
Hialeah
Calder(since it is renamed it counts)
Liberty Bell
T-bred meet at the Meadowlands on dirt

cnollfan
04-24-2015, 04:37 PM
I forgot I visited Sportsman's too.

goatchaser
04-24-2015, 11:49 PM
Hollywood, Bay Meadows, Fairplex. I went to Buffalo Downs once, are they still around? I went in the early 80's.