PDA

View Full Version : Aqueduct: Sun., April 19

Teach
04-19-2015, 12:19 PM
Race One:

:3: Reign is a Speightstown-bred 4-year-old filly who was purchased at Keeneland as a yearling for 170k. The filly was tried on the turf (nada), on the AW at Keeneland (nihil) and finally two shots at Stanton, DE’s Delaware Park. Two third-place finishes in maiden-special company, there. But, that was last spring. On the bench for over 10 months. But now, refreshed… Blinkers on. Jimmy Jerkens trains. Leading apprentice and one of the top jocks in the NYRA jockey colony, Angel Cruz, is in the irons. Oh, some solid recent works, including a “bullet” on April 8. A shot. A distinct chance.

Others: :1:/:1a: Mrs. Hudson/Delay of Game; :5: Honorable Break; :4: Speightsfire.

Race Two:

:5: Noon Sermon is my choice in the 6-furlong state-bred allowance. The rider change to Irad Ortiz, Jr is big. Immense, even. This This Unbridled’s Song-bred filly won at first asking on a muddy surface. She turned on January 1 as a 4-to-1 shot in an optional; claimer but finished fourth. She this filly has been on the shelf for over three months. However, trainer John Parisella does reasonably well with horses that have “been on vacation”. Parisella also has a decent record with allowance races and sprints. A couple recent, solid works, especially “a bullet” on April 3 when this filly blitzed five panels in one-minute flat, breezing from the gate.

Others: :3: Sonora; :2: My Won Love; :1: Underthemoonlight

Race Three:

:7: No Shanks finished third after being steadied at the start in a six-furlong maiden-special at Oldsmar, FL’s Tampa Bay Downs. A chance to make amends here. Yet, this is some concern that the filly has been “on the pine” for over two months. At least her outside starting post will likely alleviate any bumping and steadying concerns. The rider switch to the capable Kendrick Carmouche should also help. The filly is dropping in for a tag. Trainer David Cannizo is not exactly “setting the (training) world on fire.” Yet this filly is capable of surprising at a decent price.

Others: :5: Ferzetti; :4: Adrift; :6: Arties Party Girl.

Race Four:

:6: Chamois is my pick in the non-graded 100k Danger’s Hour Stakes at one mile on the turf. Yes, this Mr. Prospector-bred chestnut horse has been off for many moons; yet, he has a lot of things going for him. 1) the services of trainer Christophe Clement. Clement is one of the best trainers with grass races. He also does well with horses that have been away from the races and non-graded stakes. 2) This horse has the chauffeuring services of one of the top NYRA jocks, Jose Ortiz. Ortiz has won several races this past week. 3) this horse has competed against some top-notch competition, e.g. The Grade I Manhattan last June, the Grade II Dixie last May (Preakness Day), etc. If reasonably ready?

Others: :3: Aztec Brave; :4: Mutin; :5: Lubash

Race Five:

In this 5 and ½ furlong maiden claimer, I looking for value with :6: Redneck Gold. This A.P. Indy-bred filly did absolutely nothing in her first pari-mutuel start. In fact, she took a right turn and headed for the Belt Parkway. I’m willing to give this Golden Missile-bred “a mulligan”. She now drops into the selling ranks. Trainer Chris Englehart does very well with horses going from maiden-specials to maiden-claiming. The filly’s had some decent works. Jockey Luis Saez is in the irons.

Others: :3: Agate; :2: Rose of Sicily; :1: Glenbrook.

Race Six:

In this turf route I’m going with :4: Forensic. The evidence is clear; it’s indisputable. This grey/roan Medaglia d’Oro-bred filly has a solid turf record; she has three seconds and three thirds in eight tries on the lawn. The filly has been away for a while, but her trainer “Shug” McGaughey, does very well with horses coming off the bench. A recent, solid three-furlong work signals readiness Jockey Manny Franco is in the irons.

Others: :2: Sentiero Italia; :3: Trophee; :5: Casual Smile

Race Seven:

:2: Possilicious is the choice in the 6-furlong state-bred allowance. This Posse-bred gelding was razor sharp in winning his last in solid time. Anything resembling that effort…Jockey Angel Cruz reprises the ride for trainer David Jacobson. Jacobson is very good with winners of their last race and sprints.

Others: :1: Bajan Summer; :9: Candid Desire; :8: Unrepenting

Race Eight:

In this allowance turf route, I like :2: Graceful Gal. This Curlin-bred filly has been away for a while, but her recent morning work a “bullet” going four panels in :47.4, speaks volumes. Admittedly, trainer Leo O’Brien in not exactly having a banner meet, but this filly may prove to be one of his shining moments. The most capable Manny Franco reprises his riding assignment.
Others: :6: Nile Empress; :5: Partytime Chill; :1a: Moonlit Sonnet.

Race Nine:

In the finale, I’m going with :8: Duke of the City. This A.P. Indy-bred should be the prohibitive favorite. As an editorial, he’ll likely be “singled” by many Pick-6 players. This horse was just nipped in his last as the odds-on fave. The turn back of a half-furlong should help. “Izzy” Rodriguez draws the assignment for trainer Danny Gargan. Gargan is having an excellent meet. He’s good with horses making their second start after a claim.

Others: :7: Lubango; :1: Solly’s Mischief; :9: Most Happy Fella