PDA

View Full Version : Right-Wingnuttia explained at last

Hank
04-18-2015, 10:44 PM
http://theness.com/neurologicablog/index.php/lessons-from-dunning-kruger/

Robert Goren
04-18-2015, 10:55 PM
Pretty much explains a lot of posts here.

davew
04-18-2015, 11:15 PM
Funny, I think it explains the current administration.

Clocker
04-19-2015, 12:17 AM
I think it explains anyone on either side of the aisle that can't deal with the issues and stoops to personal attacks.

Robert Goren
04-19-2015, 05:17 AM
I think it explains anyone on either side of the aisle that can't deal with the issues and stoops to personal attacks.That is politics today. In 2016, we will see a new low, I suspect. In the past, the big PACs have generally laid off going big negative on a member of their own party in the presidential primaries. It does appear that will be the case in the GOP primaries in 2016. The swift boat PAC is gearing up for attacks on Rand Paul if he becomes a real contender over some of his less hawkish ideas. If that in deed does happen, expect the other PACs to follow suit with vicious attack ads on other GOP candidates as well.

Inner Dirt
04-19-2015, 08:07 AM
I think it explains anyone on either side of the aisle that can't deal with the issues and stoops to personal attacks.

Maybe I am getting less tolerant in my middle age but to me it seems 99% of campaign ads are attacking the other candidate, nothing what they are going to do to fix the problems.

Robert Goren
04-19-2015, 08:16 AM
Maybe I am getting less tolerant in my middle age but to me it seems 99% of campaign ads are attacking the other candidate, nothing what they are going to do to fix the problems. They are attacking the other candidate because they don't have fixes for the problems. This is why congress does not do anything these days. We elected people who have no fixes. What really amazes me is that so many people think that by doing nothing, the problems will go away. Sometimes I think the world has gone completely mad.

Greyfox
04-19-2015, 08:51 AM
Pretty much explains a lot of posts here.

Yes it does, but the thread title is way off line.

The article refers to the Dunning-Kruger Effect which is described as:

“…incompetent people do not recognize—scratch that, cannot recognize—just how incompetent they are,”.....“What’s curious is that, in many cases, incompetence does not leave people disoriented, perplexed, or cautious. Instead, the incompetent are often blessed with an inappropriate confidence, buoyed by something that feels to them like knowledge.”

That is exactly a description of Barack H. Obama.

Wow. The Dunning-Kruger Effect nails this narcissistic President's behavior.

Robert Goren
04-19-2015, 09:31 AM
Yes it does, but the thread title is way off line.

The article refers to the Dunning-Kruger Effect which is described as:

“…incompetent people do not recognize—scratch that, cannot recognize—just how incompetent they are,”.....“What’s curious is that, in many cases, incompetence does not leave people disoriented, perplexed, or cautious. Instead, the incompetent are often blessed with an inappropriate confidence, buoyed by something that feels to them like knowledge.”

That is exactly a description of Barack H. Obama.

Wow. The Dunning-Kruger Effect nails this narcissistic President's behavior.It does better job of nailing the tea party politicians who often just opposing Obama because it is the thing to do. The tea partier's mind set is if Obama is for it, it must be wrong. I seen GOP politicians switch sides on an issue once Obama's views are known. For example the former GOP governor of Nebraska was pretty vocal in his opposition to the keystone pipeline until he found out Obama was delaying it. He then became one of its biggest supporters. My personal opinion is that former governor never had a clue whether the pipeline was good for the state or not but because some big GOP land owners opposed it, so did he. But once Obama's opinion was known, he was became absolute sure of the answer in his own mind.

davew
04-19-2015, 09:37 AM
Is the GOP governor of Nebraska one of these tea partier's you complain about?

What makes them so? or is any GOP politician you dislike a tea partier?

Robert Goren
04-19-2015, 10:00 AM
Is the GOP governor of Nebraska one of these tea partier's you complain about?

What makes them so? or is any GOP politician you dislike a tea partier? The former Nebraska governor was in office before the tea party existed. When the tea party came about in 2010, Gov. Heineman, like a lot of GOP office holders, embraced it with open arms. If he calls himself a tea partier, who am I to argue?
There are few GOP politicians, I respect. There are even a few tea partier I respect, but seldom do I agree with political views of the tea partiers that I respect. I respect what Sarah Palin has done, but I would be hard press to find a political issue I agree with her on and think she would not be a good office holder. I, do however, greatly admire how she has turned her "15 minutes of fame" into a boat load of money.

Tom
04-19-2015, 10:01 AM
Maybe I am getting less tolerant in my middle age but to me it seems 99% of campaign ads are attacking the other candidate, nothing what they are going to do to fix the problems.

That is because neither one will do anything for anyone but themselves.

Rookies
04-19-2015, 11:27 AM
That is because neither one will do anything for anyone but themselves.

Unfortunately.

Presently, I (along with most Canadians) am pillorying daily, in the media, one of the most grotesque, bloated sleaze balls of the entitied, political class here. Without explaining in detail, he's on trial for multiple expense fraud and accepting a bribe. There is the potential for serious sidebar offshoots on the bribery charge, because it was (allegedly) :lol: proffered by the Chief of Staff of the Prime Minister- Harper!

This old bastard was on the pad on Day 1 of his appointment to Canada's Senate! Yep- appointment is the methodology in Canada and you don't get appointed unless you're a bootlicking toady of the party in power- in this case the Cons! :rolleyes:

These people are sickening and all of them need to be stopped!

AndyC
04-19-2015, 11:38 AM
They are attacking the other candidate because they don't have fixes for the problems. This is why congress does not do anything these days. We elected people who have no fixes. What really amazes me is that so many people think that by doing nothing, the problems will go away. Sometimes I think the world has gone completely mad.

I wish they would do nothing! Most of the problems that need fixing were created by the congress in the first place.

Clocker
04-19-2015, 11:43 AM
It does better job of nailing the tea party politicians who often just opposing Obama because it is the thing to do.

I may lead a sheltered life, but I'm not aware of many Tea Party politicians out there right now. A lot of politicians pander to the Tea Party. They talk the talk but don't walk the walk. The Tea Party movement, which seems to have gone dormant of late, was based on a few basic principles like small government and fiscal responsibility. And since those principles go against Obama's very nature and comprehension, it is generally safe to assume that anything he is for, the Tea Party is against.

Robert Goren
04-19-2015, 12:21 PM
I wish they would do nothing! Most of the problems that need fixing were created by the congress in the first place.If only that were true!

Tom
04-19-2015, 12:37 PM
Three things are certain:

1. Death
2. Taxes
3. Opposing Obama on anything is the right thing to do.

PaceAdvantage
04-19-2015, 03:14 PM
I hope those who are quick to chastise me for being biased and unkind in my postings here on off-topic, will be as quick to chastise the author of this thread for their rather offensive display.

But, I suspect my critics will once again turn a blind eye to things like this and keep on pretending all the bias and vitriol begins and ends with those who lean right...

mostpost
04-19-2015, 06:03 PM
Funny, I think it explains the current administration.
From the article:
People also have an easier time recognizing ignorance in others than in themselves, To which we can add the corollary: Sometimes they see ignorance where it doesn't exist. And: the tendency to see ignorance in others is inversely proportional to the knowledge of the beholder.

Clocker
04-19-2015, 06:05 PM
And: the tendency to see ignorance in others is inversely proportional to the knowledge of the beholder.

Says the forum's all time record holder for calling people stupid. :D

mostpost
04-19-2015, 06:06 PM
http://theness.com/neurologicablog/index.php/lessons-from-dunning-kruger/
Let's not confuse cause and effect here. Those folks aren't ignorant because they are conservatives. They are conservatives because of their ignorance.

mostpost
04-19-2015, 06:43 PM
I hope those who are quick to chastise me for being biased and unkind in my postings here on off-topic, will be as quick to chastise the author of this thread for their rather offensive display.

But, I suspect my critics will once again turn a blind eye to things like this and keep on pretending all the bias and vitriol begins and ends with those who lean right...
How is the OP offensive? Hank presents a study in which the authors conclude that incompetent people overestimate their abilities, and more incompetent one is in a field the more those persons overestimate their ability. On the other hand, the more competent a person is, the closer the correlation between perceived and actual ability.
This is the abstract from the study.
People tend to hold overly favorable views of their abilities in many social and intellectual domains. The authors suggest that this overestimation occurs, in part, because people who are unskilled in these domains suffer a dual burden: Not only do these people reach erroneous conclusions and make unfortunate choices, but their incompetence robs them of the metacognitive ability to realize it. Across 4 studies, the authors found that participants scoring in the bottom quartile on tests of humor, grammar, and logic grossly overestimated their test performance and ability. Although their test scores put them in the 12th percentile, they estimated themselves to be in the 62nd. Several analyses linked this miscalibration to deficits in metacognitive skill, or the capacity to distinguish accuracy from error. Paradoxically, improving the skills of the participants, and thus increasing their metacognitive competence, helped them recognize the limitations of their abilities. (PsycINFO Database Record (c) 2012 APA, all rights reserved)

That's not offensive, that is fact.

Clocker
04-19-2015, 06:44 PM
Originally Posted by mostpost
And: the tendency to see ignorance in others is inversely proportional to the knowledge of the beholder.

Those folks aren't ignorant because they are conservatives. They are conservatives because of their ignorance.

The pot calling the pot black. :D

tucker6
04-19-2015, 06:46 PM
How is the OP offensive? Hank presents a study in which the authors conclude that incompetent people overestimate their abilities, and more incompetent one is in a field the more those persons overestimate their ability. On the other hand, the more competent a person is, the closer the correlation between perceived and actual ability.

That's not offensive, that is fact.
Sounds like you to a tee.

Tom
04-19-2015, 06:56 PM
From the article:
Democrats also have an easier time recognizing ignorance in others than in themselves, To which we can add the corollary: Sometimes they see ignorance where it doesn't exist. And: the tendency to see ignorance in others is inversely proportional to the knowledge of the beholder.

FTFY..... :lol:

Inner Dirt
04-20-2015, 08:23 AM
I usually always vote Republican, while I disagree on many of the stances on social issues of the party I care where the money is spent. Probably the thing that annoys me most it seems is how a lot of Democrats call us Republicans ignorant just because we have different viewpoints. I think I will challenge the next person who implies I am ignorant to an I.Q. test, I am not a Mensa member but I probably score higher than 99.9% of the population. I am far from ignorant. I have formed my opinion on political issues from life experience, not what I read in a book or someone else told me to think.

I don't see how someone who elected the worldest best smear campaigner who ran on "I am not George Bush" and became president then he gets re-elected by demonizing rich people, has the right to call anyone ignorant. To the Democrats he must be God taking credit for everything good and blaming all the bad on someone else.
I followed politics at a young age watching election returns on Nixon vs Humphrey when I was 7. Since then I would have to place Obama as the second worst president, next to that useless coward Jimmy Carter.

tucker6
04-20-2015, 09:03 AM
I usually always vote Republican, while I disagree on many of the stances on social issues of the party I care where the money is spent. Probably the thing that annoys me most it seems is how a lot of Democrats call us Republicans ignorant just because we have different viewpoints. I think I will challenge the next person who implies I am ignorant to an I.Q. test, I am not a Mensa member but I probably score higher than 99.9% of the population. I am far from ignorant. I have formed my opinion on political issues from life experience, not what I read in a book or someone else told me to think.

I don't see how someone who elected the worldest best smear campaigner who ran on "I am not George Bush" and became president then he gets re-elected by demonizing rich people, has the right to call anyone ignorant. To the Democrats he must be God taking credit for everything good and blaming all the bad on someone else.
I followed politics at a young age watching election returns on Nixon vs Humphrey when I was 7. Since then I would have to place Obama as the second worst president, next to that useless coward Jimmy Carter.
at least Carter loves his country.

PaceAdvantage
04-20-2015, 01:22 PM

That's not offensive, that is fact.Really? THAT'S your reply?

You're more "Dunning-Kruger effect" than I thought...

Ocala Mike
04-20-2015, 03:13 PM
With regard to a determination of whether or not one is ignorant, I will paraphrase that great Republican, A. Lincoln:

"It is better to remain silent and have others think you are ignorant than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Robert Goren
04-20-2015, 04:05 PM
In the interest of honesty and self awareness. I will here by declare there are many things discussed here I do not know much about. Picking winners against the spread in football leads the list. Harness Racing and writing code are right behind. If you ever see me posting about those topics, feel free to remind me of this post.

Hank
04-20-2015, 04:24 PM

You missed your calling. Call comedy central have them look over ot in general and then this post,you'll likely get a contract.
:lol: rather offensive display :lol:

PaceAdvantage
04-20-2015, 04:28 PM
Yes, I know...I get PMs if/when I call lefties on here nuts or I argue with them too harshly, but you can create a thread entitled "Right-Wingnuttia explained" with an article that has nothing to do with politics, and that's AOK...

I bet you haven't gotten one PM complaining how biased and unfair you are... :lol:

Inner Dirt
04-20-2015, 05:26 PM
I do not understand why some people have so much hate for someone with opposing views. I am not talking about politicians, but your neighbors and fellow man. Most people's political views are self serving.

I would say I have one neighbor I talk to regularly as I live in a very sparsely populated area. Great guy, he keeps our dirt road we live on maintained and has done way more for me than I have for him, he is a Democrat, he works for the Post Office and is strongly pro choice. I am a small business owner and only for one year did I become the devil and earn over $250,000 in a year, and I was shocked at how much I paid in taxes, and of course I am a Republican as Democrats are are definitely anti business in what I do for a living. My girlfriend works for the EPA (A major enemy of what I do for a living) she is a Democrat.

So most people vote for the party that will put more food on their table, or take less of it away, simple as that. I do notice Democrats seem to spew more hate toward Republicans than the other way around. Also every time you see riots and mayhem who do you think the perps would vote for? DEMOCRATS!!!!!!!

Robert Goren
04-20-2015, 05:33 PM
I do not understand why some people have so much hate for someone with opposing views. I am not talking about politicians, but your neighbors and fellow man. Most people's political views are self serving.

I would say I have one neighbor I talk to regularly as I live in a very sparsely populated area. Great guy, he keeps our dirt road we live on maintained and has done way more for me than I have for him, he is a Democrat, he works for the Post Office and is strongly pro choice. I am a small business owner and only for one year did I become the devil and earn over $250,000 in a year, and I was shocked at how much I paid in taxes, and of course I am a Republican as Democrats are are definitely anti business in what I do for a living. My girlfriend works for the EPA (A major enemy of what I do for a living) she is a Democrat.

So most people vote for the party that will put more food on their table, or take less of it away, simple as that. I do notice Democrats seem to spew more hate toward Republicans than the other way around. Also every time you see riots and mayhem who do you think the perps would vote for? DEMOCRATS!!!!!!! Although are exceptions, you are probably correct especially with the far right of the GOP.

Tom
04-20-2015, 08:42 PM
The pot calling the pot black. :D

Hey, mostie is an expert on ignorance.

Tom
04-20-2015, 08:43 PM
With regard to a determination of whether or not one is ignorant, I will paraphrase that great Republican, A. Lincoln:

"It is better to remain silent and have others think you are ignorant than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Like some in this thread has done. :D