PDA

View Full Version : The "Eased" Phenomenon

Stillriledup
04-18-2015, 04:13 PM
Is it just me, or does it seem like there are dozens and dozens of horses around the country on a daily basis that are just "eased" and barely finish or don't finish. I'm not talking about horses who are seriously injured, just horses who get 'exhausted" and the jock wraps up and the horse loses by 30, 40 or more lengths.

I don't remember this many "eased" horses due to "being slow" in the past.

Has it always been this way and i'm just noticing it now?

chadk66
04-18-2015, 04:15 PM
when I trained there were a fair number. you see it mostly in state bred races in states where the quality isn't very good.

Stillriledup
04-18-2015, 04:20 PM
when I trained there were a fair number. you see it mostly in state bred races in states where the quality isn't very good.

I just saw a 10-1 shot eased at Santa Anita in a sprint race. The horse just "couldnt run at all" and walked across the line. This happens a lot that i'm noticing. Swissarella. She looked sharp on paper, maybe a smidge outclassed, but she had been racing well, she didn't figure to be eased here or lose by a billion lengths, yet, she couldn't run at all, sharp form she was running mid 60s beyers, and now her Beyer today might be 0 or close to it.

I know what you're saying about state bred races, some of those runners are barely "horses" and can't run a lick and normally run beyers in the teens and close to 0, but when "normal horses' who have lifetime earnings and lifetime wins and appear to be sharp on paper "just can't run" with no warning, i'm wondering if this has always been happening and i just never noticed it.

Robert Goren
04-18-2015, 04:29 PM
Is it just me, or does it seem like there are dozens and dozens of horses around the country on a daily basis that are just "eased" and barely finish or don't finish. I'm not talking about horses who are seriously injured, just horses who get 'exhausted" and the jock wraps up and the horse loses by 30, 40 or more lengths.

Has it always been this way and i'm just noticing it now?It been that way since at least the mid 1960s when I started betting. It is not only the horse who beat by 30+ lengths that are being eased. Many horse who a chance to near the finish line are eased when it becomes clear they no can win. Often they may end up 5 or 6 lengths back, but would have been only 2 back if the horse would not have eased. I used have a formula to adjust for this when I made my own speed ratings. As I remember, I subtract 1.5 from the lengths back and multiplied by a number between 0.75 and 0.80. I am sorry I do remember the exact number. I though I got good ratings for any horse that finished less than 12 lengths back.

ultracapper
04-18-2015, 04:32 PM
When the jock asked her to compete at the 5/16th pole, she just couldn't keep up and he wrapped her up at the 3/16ths. I think you're now just noticing it. Horses that have no run in them after they've been given the "go" signal in the far turn are usually lagging in on an easy gallop.

outofthebox
04-18-2015, 04:32 PM
Anytime i see an eased or DNF is reminds me of the summer i was working for Gary Jones at Del Mar. We had a horse running for @ 25k on the grass with Sandy Hawley riding.. The horse was in contention when all of a sudden he was pulled up on the turn. We all ran to the top of the stretch to see how our horse was doing and were surprised that it was the jockey and not the horse that was ailing. Somehow a couple of bees found a way into Hawleys silks and began stinging him and he couldn't finish the ride. Gary told Hawley and all of us to not say a word to anyone so that he could drop and cash on him. Which we did two weeks later.

Tom
04-18-2015, 05:49 PM
Like Big Brown. :rolleyes:

Stillriledup
04-18-2015, 06:20 PM
Like Big Brown. :rolleyes:

Or Shared Belief. :(

nearco
04-18-2015, 06:33 PM
this is a timely thread.

outofthebox
04-18-2015, 06:35 PM
this is a timely thread.My first reaction when he stumbled was him being eased..Weird timing as you said...

OCF
04-18-2015, 07:05 PM
I pulled off the dutch-every-horse-to-show-but-the-bridgejumper feat. Paid just under 8 to 1. :)

Sure hope SB's OK though. :confused:

Dark Horse
04-18-2015, 08:12 PM
Hardly the first time for Smith to ease a big favorite. 'Just looking out for the horse'. Almost without exception there's nothing wrong with the horse. Give me a guy like Martin Pedroza, who is riding for the bettors, any day of the week.

And no, that doesn't mean that I don't want horses to receive the best care. That goes without saying. It means that I don't belief Shared Belief came into the race at anything but his best. Weeks of careful preparations, and Smith decides on a whim. That's my problem with him.

Stillriledup
04-18-2015, 08:16 PM
Hardly the first time for Smith to ease a big favorite. 'Just looking out for the horse'. Almost without exception there's nothing wrong with the horse. Give me a guy like Martin Pedroza, who is riding for the bettors, any day of the week.

And no, that doesn't mean that I don't want horses to receive the best care. That goes without saying. It means that I don't belief Shared Belief came into the race at anything but his best. Weeks of careful preparations, and Smith decides on a whim. That's my problem with him.

Smith is a jack of all trades, he's a jock sometimes and a trainer other times.

Dark Horse
04-18-2015, 08:18 PM
Smith is a jack of all trades, he's a jock sometimes and a trainer other times.

He eases favorites more than anybody else. I'm not saying his intentions are bad. I'm guessing that he doesn't want the trauma of a horse breaking down, and that's understandable. The problem is that he errs so far on the side of caution that it hurts the players. (I wasn't on this race, btw. But it brought back memories).

breezing
04-18-2015, 08:19 PM
per Ray Paulick @raypaulick · 59m 59 minutes ago

Dr. Elizabeth Daniel, WV State Veterinarian “When I got to (Shared Belief), I saw a little soft tissue swelling in the right stifle."

too bad, i was hoping to see him in the met mile.

Dark Horse
04-18-2015, 08:39 PM
I doubt 'a little soft tissue swelling' will change his plans, and take it as a polite way of saying the horse is fine.

Of course the first attention is on the wellbeing of the horse, as it should be, but how many times does this have to happen before somebody investigates the obvious?

With more than $600,000—most of it bet on Shared Belief—in the show pool, the prices were skewed. Moreno paid $16 to win, $12 to place and $23.30 to show, while Imperative (31-1) returned $44.60 and $71.20.

sammy the sage
04-18-2015, 08:47 PM
a horse that WAS NOT eased...was hurt in that race as well....ie...Moreno.....the winner...limping...and walking not galloping back to winners circle...hope he's ok...and they give him a break...

spang99
04-19-2015, 11:44 AM
I saw Lozano pull up his horse 2 jumps out of the gate at Mountaineer on friday night. From my view, I could see no apparent reason for this to happen. Truly one of the oddest thing I've seen in my 30 years around the game.

I'd like it a lot of Mark could do some digging to determine the reason he did this. Personally, I think the reason may have been a result of the rider becoming fearful of something going wrong, but not as the result of something that actually did go wrong.

Seemed to me that anybody who backed this horse got the royal screw job.

I hope that I'm wrong and that Mountain Man can provide the facts of the matter here.

Tall One
04-19-2015, 12:19 PM
Sammy,

I completely missed Moreno's actions after the race. Any word on his condition, guys?

chadk66
04-19-2015, 06:18 PM
I just saw a 10-1 shot eased at Santa Anita in a sprint race. The horse just "couldnt run at all" and walked across the line. This happens a lot that i'm noticing. Swissarella. She looked sharp on paper, maybe a smidge outclassed, but she had been racing well, she didn't figure to be eased here or lose by a billion lengths, yet, she couldn't run at all, sharp form she was running mid 60s beyers, and now her Beyer today might be 0 or close to it.

I know what you're saying about state bred races, some of those runners are barely "horses" and can't run a lick and normally run beyers in the teens and close to 0, but when "normal horses' who have lifetime earnings and lifetime wins and appear to be sharp on paper "just can't run" with no warning, i'm wondering if this has always been happening and i just never noticed it.one thing to keep in mind is that there are some filly's that pull a plow when they are in season. this is the time of year that happens the most frequently. I have had mares that I had to keep on medication to prevent coming into season because they would just flat canter along.

chadk66
04-19-2015, 06:22 PM
Mike Smith absolutely did the right thing on Shared Belief. Any hint of an issue with a horse like that and you pull the plug. Had he not done that you could possibly have seen the last race for that horse. I know Mike personally and I can guarantee you he has only the horses best interest at stake. Sorry to tell you guys but the players are coming in second in these circumstances.

Grits
04-20-2015, 12:32 PM
SRU, on Saturday, you posted this thread two hours before Shared Belief ran (sorta) in the Charles Town Classic.

I'm now convinced, THIS is the greatest mush of all time!!

Shared Belief, the top thoroughbred in the world, was 10 for 11. And YOU took him out. :lol:

P.S. Please, don't post who you like, two hours prior to the Derby.

Meanwhile, there's always pro basketball. :ThmbUp:

Has it always been this way and i'm just noticing it now?

Stillriledup
04-20-2015, 04:47 PM
SRU, on Saturday, you posted this thread two hours before Shared Belief ran (sorta) in the Charles Town Classic.

I'm now convinced, THIS is the greatest mush of all time!!

Shared Belief, the top thoroughbred in the world, was 10 for 11. And YOU took him out. :lol:

P.S. Please, don't post who you like, two hours prior to the Derby.

Meanwhile, there's always pro basketball. :ThmbUp:

:lol:

Its a pretty good mush i have to say! As far as pro basketball goes, i'm actually forbidden to select the OKC Thunder in any games, i know you've been following in and cashing in on my picks, but you will notice no OKC games. I was "fired" from ever releasing them. I accept full responsibility for KD's and RW's injuries, i must have mushed them telepathically!

Grits
04-20-2015, 07:33 PM
:lol:

Its a pretty good mush i have to say! As far as pro basketball goes, i'm actually forbidden to select the OKC Thunder in any games, i know you've been following in and cashing in on my picks, but you will notice no OKC games. I was "fired" from ever releasing them. I accept full responsibility for KD's and RW's injuries, i must have mushed them telepathically!

It was a world class mush!!! :lol:

I've never bet on basketball in my life!! And, nah, I'm not too much for watching the pros. (Their playoffs are way too long!!) The only names I know on OKC's team are Durant and Westbrook.... Westbrook was in my hotel while I was in NYC in February, and honestly, I wouldn't have recognized him had I been standing beside him in the elevator. KD, yes; Kobe, yes; LeBron, yes; these I would have known, but nope, not too many others. :)

breezing
04-20-2015, 09:45 PM
I doubt 'a little soft tissue swelling' will change his plans, and take it as a polite way of saying the horse is fine.

Of course the first attention is on the wellbeing of the horse, as it should be, but how many times does this have to happen before somebody investigates the obvious?

per Jim Rome @jimrome · 1h 1 hour ago

Shared Belief has a non-displaced fracture on the point of the right hip. He is bright, alert and doing well.

it would appear that, at least in this case, the jockey was correct in easing the horse.

chadk66
04-21-2015, 07:43 AM
per Jim Rome @jimrome · 1h 1 hour ago

Shared Belief has a non-displaced fracture on the point of the right hip. He is bright, alert and doing well.

it would appear that, at least in this case, the jockey was correct in easing the horse.at least in this case? I hate to break it to you but in "every" case that a jockey pulls a horse up it's the right thing to do. He's the one on the animal, he's the one that decides. I'd rather have him be wrong about an ailment pulling a horse up than I would having him whipping the shit out of the horse and snap both legs off at the 1/8th pole. I've seen that happen up close and personal and that's not something you ever forget.

CryingForTheHorses
04-21-2015, 09:06 AM

The worst thing a jock can see is his odds as he is coming out of the paddock..Many of these jocks if they aren't going to be in the money tend to wrap up on horses,You see many of these riders not riding to the wire..Lots of this going on and the stewards are not doing anything about it.I have seen a jock ease a horse get it beat 30 lengths and you change the rider and next start horse either wins or hits the board.JMO

PaceAdvantage
04-21-2015, 10:37 AM
...and snap both legs off at the 1/8th pole. I've seen that happen up close and personal and that's not something you ever forget.Me too...agreed

chadk66
04-21-2015, 12:52 PM
The worst thing a jock can see is his odds as he is coming out of the paddock..Many of these jocks if they aren't going to be in the money tend to wrap up on horses,You see many of these riders not riding to the wire..Lots of this going on and the stewards are not doing anything about it.I have seen a jock ease a horse get it beat 30 lengths and you change the rider and next start horse either wins or hits the board.JMOI can't say that I recall seeing a jock ease a horse up if they are going to finish top three unless easing it up isn't going to change the finish order.

CryingForTheHorses
04-22-2015, 09:18 AM
I can't say that I recall seeing a jock ease a horse up if they are going to finish top three unless easing it up isn't going to change the finish order.

Well you need to watch these jocks at GP!!!!!...Many dont ride to the wire,Im not saying this because Im some kind of Idiot!!..

chadk66
04-22-2015, 02:26 PM
Well you need to watch these jocks at GP!!!!!...Many dont ride to the wire,Im not saying this because Im some kind of Idiot!!..never watch GP. must be a GP issue;)

Stillriledup
07-06-2015, 03:21 AM
Effinex, just beat a horse who has a Wikipedia page off an eased line. No slight improvement, no good better best, from eased to a relentless win vs a top horse.

EMD4ME
07-06-2015, 03:27 AM
Effinex, just beat a horse who has a Wikipedia page off an eased line. No slight improvement, no good better best, from eased to a relentless win vs a top horse.

Maybe it's a new angle to follow? LOL

thespaah
07-06-2015, 08:54 PM

I know what you're saying about state bred races, some of those runners are barely "horses" and can't run a lick and normally run beyers in the teens and close to 0, but when "normal horses' who have lifetime earnings and lifetime wins and appear to be sharp on paper "just can't run" with no warning, i'm wondering if this has always been happening and i just never noticed it.
Ah Ha!.....Here's my theory.
Before we saw this ( $x paid to the balance of starters) in order for the rider to get more than their fee for the start, they had to finish 5th or better.
http://www.equibase.com/static/chart/pdf/MTH070415USA7.pdf
Click on the link.....Note the winnings for the placings greater than 5th.....

Stillriledup
08-21-2015, 04:59 PM
oTynXfInK7A

Thomas Roulston
08-22-2015, 08:40 AM
In this era of every horse getting a share of the purse at most tracks, listing a horse as "eased" is indolent and irresponsible, because at many such tracks the horse does not get a share of the purse of it physically doesn't cross the wire.

The logical alternative is to substitute a dash for the beaten lengths; i.e., if it was an 8-horse field, "8-" rather than "8-143" or whatever it actually was; this will also differentiate the order of finish as between two or more horses who were "eased" in the same race.

Stillriledup
08-27-2015, 05:52 PM
Big Family in 9th at Spa.

cnollfan
08-27-2015, 06:50 PM
Big Family in 9th at Spa.

When a 3 year old allowance horse is eased, comes back in 5 days with a bullet workout and 6 days after that in a race, chances are very good there is nothing wrong with the horse.

Stillriledup
08-27-2015, 07:01 PM
When a 3 year old allowance horse is eased, comes back in 5 days with a bullet workout and 6 days after that in a race, chances are very good there is nothing wrong with the horse.

Or, there is something wrong with the horse and the connections are clowns.

They got the money today, but if this will hurt this horse going forward that's something we will find out.

Stillriledup
09-24-2015, 04:23 PM
Skipalute at 1-1

Gets it done.

andtheyreoff
09-24-2015, 05:54 PM
Skipalute at 1-1

Gets it done.

The "eased" line occurred seven months ago. She was graded-stakes placed twice, and had a good worktab coming into this maiden race. If anything, $4.20 was an overlay on her.

What's your preferred alternative? That horses who are eased once never win again?

Stillriledup
09-24-2015, 06:00 PM
The "eased" line occurred seven months ago. She was graded-stakes placed twice, and had a good worktab coming into this maiden race. If anything, $4.20 was an overlay on her.

What's your preferred alternative? That horses who are eased once never win again?

My point is that they should need to show 'good better best' in other words show that you could actually finish a race And THEN, show some more improvement again to win. Not finishing to winning looks bad, it looks like the guy eased the horse for no good reason and since the horse won back, it looks like there was really nothing wrong with the horse in the first place.

andtheyreoff
09-24-2015, 11:44 PM
My point is that they should need to show 'good better best' in other words show that you could actually finish a race And THEN, show some more improvement again to win. Not finishing to winning looks bad, it looks like the guy eased the horse for no good reason and since the horse won back, it looks like there was really nothing wrong with the horse in the first place.

The fact that the horse didn't run for seven months is an indication that something was, in fact, wrong. It's not like she was gone for a month. Obviously, she recovered from her issues, and beat a field that she towered over.

I really can't believe how dense you are sometimes. It defies explanation.

v j stauffer
09-24-2015, 11:50 PM
The fact that the horse didn't run for seven months is an indication that something was, in fact, wrong. It's not like she was gone for a month. Obviously, she recovered from her issues, and beat a field that she towered over.

She figured to get the exact lousy trip she got and still managed to overcome it.

Very nice filly.

Stillriledup
09-25-2015, 12:16 AM

It's not a thread about one specific horse, it's a thread about the amazing win percentage of horses who were eased, eased to a win next time out happens a lot. Does it happen more than it should? That's what the thread is about.

Stillriledup
09-25-2015, 12:24 AM

By the way, what's with the 5th grade name calling? This is the stuff that starts big battles that take threads off the rails, c'mon you're better than that.

onefast99
09-25-2015, 12:57 PM
when I trained there were a fair number. you see it mostly in state bred races in states where the quality isn't very good.I have seen it many times. Sometimes it is as simple as the horse lost a shoe or the saddle slipped or the jock felt something he didn't like. I have had three in my ten years of owning all three had the thumps. Two of the three came back to win next time out the third one had a heart ailment and is now a pony at Tampa. When you see the word "eased" in the pp's the first thing that comes to mind is something serious.

no breathalyzer
09-25-2015, 07:15 PM
you catch that one at GP today. kind of applies here .. first start on the dirt bad start eased out of gate when ranked. 2nd start on grass wins paying 90.60. Dam produced 4 winners/ out of 5 winners on lawn now :lol: of course i didn't even look at GP today :ThmbDown: :ThmbDown:.. :bang: :bang:

Stillriledup
10-10-2015, 05:27 PM
Goooooooooal!!

iceknight
10-10-2015, 08:50 PM
Nominating V Espinoza on :9: Eddie's First - SA R10 today