PDA

View Full Version : Aqueduct: Sat., April 18

Teach
04-18-2015, 09:37 AM
Good Morning. As Gordon MacRae , a graduate of Nottingham High in Syracuse, NY, would sing in the musical Oklahoma!.."Oh, What A Beautiful Morning..."

If you ever (a personal decision)...I mean If you ever thought about playing a multi-race exotic (and you shied away in the past); well, today is your day. Short fields. The Pick-5 is makeable and, I might add, at a paltry expenditure, at least when compared with normal cards. And this is before any scratches.

I'll be back in a couple hours with my thoughts on the art and skill of picking winners through examination and analysis of the speed and endurance of thoroughbred race horses.

Teach
04-18-2015, 11:43 AM
Race One:

:5: Howie’s Tiz is the ‘question-mark’ horse. This gelding’s racing career has taken this 5-year-old on more twists and turns than an Agatha Christie mystery novel. First, his connections, Kingfield Stables, paid 250k for him at the 2011 Keeneland Sales. Make no mistake: This is an extremely well-bred gelding. Yet, he’s yet to provide any appreciable returns. Back in 2012, at “The Spa,” he almost won at first asking. In his next two starts, he finished third and then off the board. He went chalk in those second and third starts. However, after that, little could now be said that enhances. He was last seen on the racetrack at Aqueduct almost a year and half ago. Yet, hark. If this gelding is any semblance of his former self, he can easily defeat this field. The question. The big question: Is he ready? A solid three-panel work seems to say yes. But, personally, I would have liked to have seen him stretch out an additional panel or two. Angel Arroyo for Bruce Levine.

Others: :2: Salem Loop; :3: Dominic’s Smile

Race Two:

:4: La Verdad is my choice in the Grade II 200k Distaff Handicap. I like the fact that this Yes It’s True-bred mare is breaking from the outside in this short, four-horse field; she’ll have her competitors to her inside. I believe she can dictate the terms. This 5-year-old mare has won 10 of 16 lifetime races, not too shabby! Linda Rice is a solid conditioner; she does extremely well in graded stakes. I might mention that this mare won the 2014 version of this race. Jose Ortiz is in the irons. Although this mare has been off for a while, she did turn in a solid six-panel work.

Other: :3: Aireofdistinction

Race Three:

:6: Orino has hit the board in eight out of 13 lifetime grass races. Admittedly, trainer Jimmy Bond has not been having a stellar meet. Yet, this 5-year-old Cormorant-bred gelding might just provide the wake-up call. This gelding had a recent sold work at the Palm Meadows Training Center. Trainer Bond recently shipped him north for this one. Bond does reasonably well with horses that have been away from the races for three or four months. Angel Arroyo is in the irons.
Others: :3: Peaceful Talk; :4: Market Outlook.

Race Four:

:6: Qui C’est Moi (That Is Me) has admittedly only won once in fifteen career starts in this non-winners of two claiming race. Yet this 4-year-old Maimonides-bred colt has a few things going for him. First, the training skills of Abigail Adsit. Trainer Adsit is having a good meet; she does reasonably well with both claimers and dirt starts. Second, apprentice Angel Cruz is having a solid meet. He’s most capable of “booting” this horse home. Finally, this Tactical Advantage-bred had a recent four-panel morning work in which the 4-year-old breezed the half-mile in :48.

Others: :7: Kodiak Kody; :2: Boss Daddy; :3: King Kongrats

Race Five:

:6: Zandar is my pick in the non-graded Woodhaven Stakes, a turf route. This Kitten’s Joy-bred colt has a first and a second in three tries on the lawn. Yes, he’s been away from the races for a while, yet he’s had an array of solid morning works leading up to this race. Thomas Morley is a capable trainer who usually does well with horses who have been away froim the races for lengthy periods of time. The Puerto Rican petardo, Jose Ortiz, retains the mount.

Others: :4: Vision Perfect; :2: Chief Kitten

Race Six:

:2: Third Frontier, a Gone West-bred gelding, easily won in this company about a month ago. There’s appears little reason to believe that this 3-year-old gelding can’t reprise his winning ways; he meets no better than he defeated last time (although he does step up now in to the “winners” category). Trainer Michelle Nevin is having an excellent meet; she’s very good with: (1) 2nd off a layoff; (2) maiden win in last race and (3) route to sprint. Jose Ortiz is in the irons.

Others: :5: Si Cology; :4: Overthespeedlimit

Race Seven:

:7: Lady Bling is my choice in this optional claimer on the turf for NY State-breds. This Empire Maker-bred filly is dropping down from an ungraded stakes to this optional claimer. She has been away for several months. However, this Kris S.-bred should be able to handle this field. This filly won at first asking on the turf at Saratoga last August. She was then overmatched in a Grade III turf event at Belmont, but now... Jockey Manny Franco rides for trainer David Donk.

Others: :1: Amazing Anne; :2: Jackie Black; :3: Loon River

Race Eight:

:7: Cost Affective has been running recently in allowance company at Oaklawn Park. She hasn't shown much down in Arkansas; yet the gelding now drops into the “selling” ranks. The Bertrando-bred has only won two races in 23 tries; yet he has hit the tote in fourteen of those efforts. Tony Dutrow is a solid trainer who does well with both shippers and route to sprint. Irad Ortiz, Jr. is in the irons.

Others: :6: Erik The Red; :1: / :1a: Giant Fox/Deceived; :5: Old Upstart

Race Nine:

:11: Thunders Fury is my upset try in this maiden-special turf route. This Summer Squall-bred gelding did very little on the main last November at “The Big A”. However, prior to that, this Gulch-bred 3-year-old gelding turned in a solid effort at Belmont in a turf sprint. In that one, this gelding was angled to the outside and bumped. The gelding appeared to be coming on in that race. The stretch-out here might be just what is needed for this horse to contend. The gelding’s breeding indicates he can handle the added distance of ground. Thomas Morley is a solid conditioner who does especially well with horses going from dirt to turf. Jockey Jose Ortiz picks up the mount.

Others: :1a: Fundamental; :4: Andalusite; :8: Private Relations