PDA

View Full Version : Who was your favorite jockey when you started playing?

tzipi
04-16-2015, 12:49 AM
Who was the jock who maybe won your first race you played or the jockey who you followed at first and they just did a great job on a consistent basis.

For me it Jorge Chavez. I always loved him on a front running horse. A lot of times he would put the field to sleep behind him and then take off in the stretch.

I remember him riding Doctor Disaster. He'd blaze out front and try and hold on. Always didn't get there every time but it was definitely exciting.

thaskalos
04-16-2015, 12:56 AM
Pat Day, and his brother-in-law Ray Sibille...although I strongly suspected that Pat would sometimes let Ray win in order to keep peace in the family.

tzipi
04-16-2015, 01:01 AM
Well I guess peace in the family is a better then winning sometimes. :)

Overlay
04-16-2015, 01:17 AM
Steve Cauthen (even though he had such a short career as a rider in the States), both because I was living in New York when he came to prominence, and because he rode his first winner at River Downs in Cincinnati (where I had grown up). I still remember the outraged letters that Sports Illustrated received after they named him as (to me) the obvious choice for their "Sportsman of the Year" for 1977, from uninformed people asking questions such as, "How you can consider a jockey to be an athlete?"

Ocala Mike
04-16-2015, 01:24 AM
I go way back - Bobby Ussery circa 1960 coming down Ussery's Alley at the Big A.

Greyfox
04-16-2015, 02:07 AM
Ken Coppernol at a B track in the 1950's.

Lemon Drop Husker
04-16-2015, 02:51 AM
Honestly never thought about Jocks for the first 10 years of playing the ponies.

Didn't think that much of Trainers either.

I was purely a math guy, and had it all figured out. :D

But honestly, the first jock I paid attention to was JV.

Oh what a wicked web we weave....

appistappis
04-16-2015, 02:53 AM
hugo dittfach

goatchaser
04-16-2015, 04:04 AM
Private Jerry Lambert

Augenj
04-16-2015, 05:19 AM
Laffit Pincay back in the 70's and later in Southern California. With him you could count on a well timed and persistent ride all the way to the finish. He always seemed to win the photos. :ThmbUp:

Johnny V
04-16-2015, 05:35 AM
During my first racetrack visits as a young teenager I really did not pay much attention to jockeys and had no real favorites but I do recall watching Braulio Baeza and Bill Hartack riding in some of the first big races I attended.

raybo
04-16-2015, 06:06 AM
Pat Day at OP.

lamboguy
04-16-2015, 06:33 AM
Eddie Maple, he brought home some big scores for me

GaryG
04-16-2015, 06:45 AM
Shoemaker - soft hands and always in the right place

DelMarJay
04-16-2015, 06:45 AM
ROLO TOMASI!

burnsy
04-16-2015, 07:15 AM
Eddie Maple, he brought home some big scores for me

I liked him too.....1981Travers Willow Hour score....great jock.

http://www.saratoga.com/much-ado/2010/08/eddie-maple-the-travers.html

But growing up in Saratoga its got to be Angel Cordero. I'll never forget when he won like 9 titles in a row up here and at the end of the meet they "crowned him, King of Saratoga"............Costume and all. I think he won 14 (Saratoga) titles total. The guy is a legend and I don't think he will be kept away from the race track or horses until his last day.

http://www.equestrianmag.com/news/saratoga-jockey-award-to-be-named-after-angel-cordero-jr.html

NY BRED
04-16-2015, 07:18 AM
I go way back - Bobby Ussery circa 1960 coming down Ussery's Alley at the Big A.

I was about to name Bobby as well, then I remembered one of my
biggest losses was when I bet Forgoe in the Derby at double digit odds
with Mr. Ussery aboard.

Thereafter , always went against Forgoe /Gustines and incurred more grief ...

Therefore, I"ve changed my vote to:

Jacinto Vasquez, who rode the greatest filly of all time,Ruffain

jahura2
04-16-2015, 07:56 AM
Randy Romero-Keeneland

Robert Goren
04-16-2015, 08:03 AM
Bill Fleming the leading jockey at Aksarben in 1965-1966.

BlueChip@DRF
04-16-2015, 08:28 AM
When I was a kid - Jorge Velasquez
Yes, Alydar was, is and will always be my champion.

2003 - Julie Krone on a closer
I hit a "zone" in the Vernon Underwood stakes as was deep into handicapping with the time fractions and found a "burst" that Debonair Joe had over the others and no one matched it. 50-1. A month later was The Malibu and I was surprised he stayed up around 25-1. I figured out when to play her and when not to. It helped cut down losses that would normally eat my winnings.

2004 - Edgar Prado for Win and Place every and any summer G1 stakes for males. After his Birdstone and score I started paying close attention to Prado. Of course, it only lasted for so long.

MutuelClerk
04-16-2015, 08:30 AM
Get fat with the Cat.

Wayne Catalano DRC.

Saratoga_Mike
04-16-2015, 08:51 AM
Bailey - best jockey in the past 30 years.

Pat Day - really?

Inner Dirt
04-16-2015, 08:58 AM
Laffit Pincay. I remember once around the early 80's at Hollywood Park he and another rider who I don't remember stopped their horses just passed the wire and proceeded to duke it out. What I admired about him most even in his later years he was aggressive and fearless, he was still forcing his way through tight holes in his 50's, while most older riders would take the long way around or stay hemmed in.

raybo
04-16-2015, 09:14 AM
Bailey - best jockey in the past 30 years.

Pat Day - really?

Yup, could get the most out of a horse, regardless of its "chances", and had the best clock in his head that I ever saw. Problem was, at OP anyway, you couldn't bet on him, because on a good horse the odds would be bet down to nothing, and you couldn't bet against him, because he'd take a bad horse and beat you anyway. :bang:

Prytanis
04-16-2015, 09:18 AM
Jorge Velasquez

arno
04-16-2015, 09:24 AM
Manny Ycaza
He always gave 100% sometimes even more and then he would get days.

Inner Dirt
04-16-2015, 09:32 AM

But growing up in Saratoga its got to be Angel Cordero. I'll never forget when he won like 9 titles in a row up here and at the end of the meet they "crowned him, King of Saratoga"............Costume and all. I think he won 14 (Saratoga) titles total. The guy is a legend and I don't think he will be kept away from the race track or horses until his last day.

http://www.equestrianmag.com/news/saratoga-jockey-award-to-be-named-after-angel-cordero-jr.html

Probably one of the smartest jockeys at detecting a bias and taking advantage of it. I was based in Southern California and Cordero rode at Santa Anita during the winter meet in 86-87. For a few weeks the speed bias was so strong horses running 1-2-3 at the first quarter finished that way in all the sprints even 7 furlongs. On Cordero's first mount of the meet he whipped a usual stalker out of the gate to get on the lead and wired the field at 6 furlongs. Leery of the East Coaster I had only place bet the horse and got like $5.80, and it paid like $12.60 to win. The horse's name was Barb's Relic. That was the first $500 bet of my life, that is why I remember it so well.

horses4courses
04-16-2015, 09:46 AM
Lester Piggott
Late 60s, 70s UK racing.

When I settled in US, Chris McCarron.

SandyW
04-16-2015, 10:02 AM
I have to name three, Bobby Ussery, Angel Cordero Jr, and Laffit Pincay Jr.

ldiatone
04-16-2015, 10:23 AM
Cesar A. Torres Penn nat

olddaddy
04-16-2015, 10:29 AM
Lester Piggott
Late 60s, 70s UK racing.

I used to read about The Great Piggott when I was young and was lucky enough to see him ride at Hialeah and Arlington Park on a Million day.

horses4courses
04-16-2015, 10:35 AM
I used to read about The Great Piggott when I was young and was lucky enough to see him ride at Hialeah and Arlington Park on a Million day.

The man is a legend over there.
I saw him live a fair few times on his occasional trips to Ireland.

One day, he came over to ride 4 horses at my local track at Leopardstown.
At least 3 of them were for Vincent O'Brien. All 4 won.
There were some really pissed off bookies at the track that day. :lol:

olddaddy
04-16-2015, 10:44 AM
The man is a legend over there.
I saw him live a fair few times on his occasional trips to Ireland.

One day, he came over to ride 4 horses at my local track at Leopardstown.
At least 3 of them were for Vincent O'Brien. All 4 won.
There were some really pissed off bookies at the track that day. :lol:

I have a pic of him in the walking ring at Hialeah and was all over Madam Gay his mount in the inaugural Million.

RunForTheRoses
04-16-2015, 10:49 AM
Probably Jacinto Vasqez or a bugboy like Robbie Davis. Was always more of a trainer guy, had to love HAJ use of no namers.

Wickel
04-16-2015, 10:49 AM
Shoe was the man. Best of all time. Then later, Angel Cordero and Pat Valenzuela were incredible talents.

RunForTheRoses
04-16-2015, 10:53 AM

I was never really a fan of Cordero but over time came to respect him as quite a talent. Remember the time at Toga he had several winners already and then had a horse who's reins broke, the horse still didn't win but I believe still placed. Sometime in the 80s.

johnhannibalsmith
04-16-2015, 11:07 AM
Aki Kato

horses4courses
04-16-2015, 11:08 AM
I have a pic of him in the walking ring at Hialeah and was all over Madam Gay his mount in the inaugural Million.

Cot Campbell sums Lester up in this Blood Horse article very well.

http://cs.bloodhorse.com/blogs/cot-campbell/archive/2013/06/25/lester-piggott.aspx

olddaddy
04-16-2015, 11:14 AM
My two were bug boy Stevie Cauthen and Gerry Podlinski.

olddaddy
04-16-2015, 11:16 AM
Cot Campbell sums Lester up in this Blood Horse article very well.

http://cs.bloodhorse.com/blogs/cot-campbell/archive/2013/06/25/lester-piggott.aspx

Thank you

horses4courses
04-16-2015, 11:29 AM

Funny you should mention Steve Cauthen.
I have a clear memory of him from 1979 that most wouldn't.

Of course, I'd followed his great success in the US from afar.
I actually did watch Affirmed on tv win the Belmont here in '78
when I was over in the US on summer break from college.

In April, 1979, though, Cauthen came over to the UK on contract.
I remember the hype over there for his first ride.
At a small track at Salisbury he rode an average type horse
named Marquee Universal for trainer Barry Hills.
I think the horse went off around 2-1, and he hacked up.

Cauthen did very well over there, and was highly respected.
Years later, so did Gary Stevens.

classhandicapper
04-16-2015, 11:29 AM
Cordero

Inner Dirt
04-16-2015, 11:39 AM
Shoe was the man. Best of all time. Then later, Angel Cordero and Pat Valenzuela were incredible talents.

Unlike the masses the Shoe disgusts me, first he stayed at least 5 years too long, he was famous for going extremely wide many times to avoid tight spots during his last years. He was someone to avoid betting on unless he was on a lone front runner. Then he charged appearance fees during his farewell tour.

Worst of all getting in a solo drunk driving accident, never taking responsibility for it saying he only had two beers, suing the state for road design, Ford motor company, and worst of all every doctor and
medical worker that came in contact with him.

Greyfox
04-16-2015, 11:44 AM
hugo dittfach

In an earlier post I said Ken Coppernol.

Hugo Dittfach came from Germany as a teenager and displaced Coppernol as our B tracks leading rider.
Having done that he moved east to Woodbine, where he was very good as well.
Is he still training horses there?

Greyfox
04-16-2015, 11:47 AM
Unlike the masses the Shoe disgusts me.

Ironic that Willie was paralyzed off the track after riding all those horses.

He apparently wrote a couple of mystery novels and friends who read them say that they were very good.

ultracapper
04-16-2015, 12:14 PM
My favorite jockey when I first started going to the track at the now defunct Longacres in Renton Washington was this young kid from Idaho that got real good real fast and came to Longacres and was winning everything that first year I was there in 1982. His name was Stevens, if I recall. Still see him around now and then.

Saratoga_Mike
04-16-2015, 12:28 PM
Yup, could get the most out of a horse, regardless of its "chances", and had the best clock in his head that I ever saw. Problem was, at OP anyway, you couldn't bet on him, because on a good horse the odds would be bet down to nothing, and you couldn't bet against him, because he'd take a bad horse and beat you anyway. :bang:

I always found his timing was off - too patient. But I only really watched him ride in NY, which wasn't the majority of his career. You probably watched him ride a lot more than that.

thaskalos
04-16-2015, 01:41 PM
I always found his timing was off - too patient. But I only really watched him ride in NY, which wasn't the majority of his career. You probably watched him ride a lot more than that.
So many jockeys named in this thread...and Pat Day is your only objection?

no breathalyzer
04-16-2015, 01:50 PM
I always cashed nice tickets with Frank Lavato, Jr when i first started betting seriously. I sure do miss me some Garrett Gomez as well.

On the flip side of things Mark Guidry would always screw me, same thing currently with Mike Smith. we don't get along well. Smith costing me my biggest score to date a couple yrs back might have something to do with it idk.
Him beating his ex gf at the time by coming out of the clouds in the Breaders Cup cost me a pick 3 I was already starting to count my $$$$ :D

trifecta
04-16-2015, 02:26 PM
I liked Eddie Delahoussaye.

Saratoga_Mike
04-16-2015, 02:36 PM
So many jockeys named in this thread...and Pat Day is your only objection?

I also object to Eddie Maple.

outofthebox
04-16-2015, 02:44 PM
Used to bet Fernando Toro on the turf in so cal in the 70's. Also would bet him on the South American imports first time.

Tom
04-16-2015, 02:53 PM
Jose Olivares and Warren Vedilago.
Jose was the Angel Cordero of Finger Lakes, and Warren rode Mountain Man.

olddaddy
04-16-2015, 02:54 PM
In April, 1979, though, Cauthen came over to the UK on contract.
I remember the hype over there for his first ride.
At a small track at Salisbury he rode an average type horse
named Marquee Universal for trainer Barry Hills.
I think the horse went off around 2-1, and he hacked up.

Cauthen did very well over there, and was highly respected.
Years later, so did Gary Stevens.

I believe Cauthen rode for Sangster under contract. I think he had to go across the pond because he grew up and couldnt make weight here.

I did real well betting Stevie when he first started as a bug boy at Arlington Park.

Ocala Mike
04-16-2015, 02:56 PM
I was about to name Bobby as well, then I remembered one of my
biggest losses was when I bet Forgoe in the Derby at double digit odds
with Mr. Ussery aboard.

Well, you can go ahead and name Ussery then. Forgoe (sic - assume you mean Forego) was ridden by Pete Anderson in Secretariat's derby. Whitely never used him again.

1st time lasix
04-16-2015, 02:57 PM
Jerry Bailey....everyone else is as far back as the field behind Secretariet at the Belmont.

Saratoga_Mike
04-16-2015, 03:10 PM
Jerry Bailey....everyone else is as far back as the field behind Secretariet at the Belmont.

Wise man (or woman)

castaway01
04-16-2015, 03:21 PM
When I was a kid in the 1980s, as far as jockeys I saw live at the track (Keystone), Rick Wilson.

In the 1990s when I started paying more attention on a nationwide basis, Bailey was my favorite to watch.

ArlJim78
04-16-2015, 05:08 PM
Get fat with the Cat.

Wayne Catalano DRC.
Same for me. He was untouchable in Detroit back in the day.

FrankieFigs
04-16-2015, 05:28 PM
I started following horse racing in 2004 and 2005 in Kentucky. At the time Rafael Bejarano and Jon Court were on top of my list. It was fun watching "Banjo" grow up and dominate the Kentucky circuit. Court was always near or at the top of the standings, and he always had a smile on his face and was very gracious to everyone.

RunDustyRun
04-16-2015, 05:55 PM
Dave Gall at fairmont, except when he was on the favorite in the finale on a Friday or Saturday night...huge bet against and the track made their money

Tall One
04-16-2015, 06:20 PM
I started following horse racing in 2004 and 2005 in Kentucky. At the time Rafael Bejarano and Jon Court were on top of my list. It was fun watching "Banjo" grow up and dominate the Kentucky circuit. Court was always near or at the top of the standings, and he always had a smile on his face and was very gracious to everyone.

Then you remember when Jason Lumpkins came in and made a big splash at TP as well.

Short--no pun--list for me: Cordero, McCarron, Eddie D, and Randy Romero.

Still cant forgive Pat Day. I cried after the Preakness..:D

TBred17Roan
04-16-2015, 06:32 PM
Walter Blum on the front end.

affirmedny
04-16-2015, 07:00 PM
Well, you can go ahead and name Ussery then. Forgoe (sic - assume you mean Forego) was ridden by Pete Anderson in Secretariat's derby. Whitely never used him again.

Whitely did not train Forego at that time, it was Sherril Ward.

KirisClown
04-16-2015, 07:41 PM
For me it Jorge Chavez. I always loved him on a front running horse.

Loved Chavez when i first started.. he always got a little something extra out of the horses he rode with that vicious whip action.. first-time-chavez was profitable back then..

turfeyejoe
04-16-2015, 07:55 PM
Late in his career, Hedley Woodhouse brought home some nice longshots in New York.
Jeannie Maxwell rode lots of winners for her dad, Pete Maxwell, riding the bullring at Pocono Downs.

FrankieFigs
04-16-2015, 08:02 PM
Then you remember when Jason Lumpkins came in and made a big splash at TP as well.

I sure do. If I remember correctly he also rode at Ellis Park for a couple of summers during that time. Or maybe I'm confusing him with Shane Laviolette...

The first "big time" jockeys I liked and followed during that time were Jerry Bailey and Gary Stevens.

Shemp Howard
04-16-2015, 08:33 PM
Joe Culmone

"Go home with Culmone"

KirisClown
04-16-2015, 08:38 PM
I remember him riding Doctor Disaster. He'd blaze out front and try and hold on. Always didn't get there every time but it was definitely exciting.

A little Chavez and Doctor Disaster for you..

pM_7ovajlVQ

OCF
04-16-2015, 08:46 PM
Laffit Pincay back in the 70's and later in Southern California. With him you could count on a well timed and persistent ride all the way to the finish. He always seemed to win the photos. :ThmbUp:

Absolutely, nobody then or since could hold a horse together like Laffit. I've never seen anybody of any size who looked more solidly built.

Great name, I named a cat after him.

Time may have clouded my memory on this, but I think D Wayne Lukas told a story about being on a flight with him. When Pincay got his little bag of peanuts he took out one and stared at it for a long time. He then proceeded to break the peanut in half, eat one half, and then throw the rest of the bag away.

minethatbird08
04-16-2015, 09:00 PM
Newer to the game but was really beginning to appreciate Ramon Dominguez. Got to meet him and Rosie one time in Saratoga Springs on Travers weekend; they were doing autographs for the PDJF. Regardless, sad his career was cut short but at least it wasn't more tragic.

tzipi
04-16-2015, 09:22 PM
A little Chavez and Doctor Disaster for you..

pM_7ovajlVQ

That's awesome KirisClown. Thank you. :)

Awesome to read everyone's replies here!

Tall One
04-16-2015, 09:22 PM
I sure do. If I remember correctly he also rode at Ellis Park for a couple of summers during that time. Or maybe I'm confusing him with Shane Laviolette...

I think both rode at ELP for a couple of meets, FF. I do remember Lumpkins rode on the Ohio circuit, went out to BM/GG, and then came back on the local KY/OH circuits.

Augenj
04-16-2015, 09:38 PM
Absolutely, nobody then or since could hold a horse together like Laffit. I've never seen anybody of any size who looked more solidly built.

Great name, I named a cat after him.

Time may have clouded my memory on this, but I think D Wayne Lukas told a story about being on a flight with him. When Pincay got his little bag of peanuts he took out one and stared at it for a long time. He then proceeded to break the peanut in half, eat one half, and then throw the rest of the bag away.
Great story. I tried to find this quote but couldn't. Anyhow, Greer Garson's horse with Shoemaker up lost by a nose or head to another horse ridden by Pincay. Shoemaker explained to her about what a great rider Pincay was but her response to that was a bit tart. Wish I could find it. :)

Broad Brush
04-16-2015, 09:59 PM
It is nice to see a positive post about jockeys. They really are tough and dedicated athletes.

My favorite, Angel Cordero.

In 1980, I was so happy to see him come to Thistledown to ride the heavy favorite in the Ohio Derby. I bet a horse named Stone Manor with a jockey
I did not know much about at the time listed as "Patrick Day". These two
were really bumping each other hard down the backside during the Derby.
Stone Manor pulled away thru the stretch to win it easy. I ran down to the winner's circle to watch the photo. As Stone Manor was posing for the picture
Angel weighed out and I was worried he was going to claim a foul. Instead
he walked right over Pat Day on the horse and shook his hand with a big smile. To him this was just good hard race riding. I miss watching Angel ride.

River11
04-16-2015, 10:00 PM
Dave Gall at fairmont, except when he was on the favorite in the finale on a Friday or Saturday night...huge bet against and the track made their money

He was tops, but you rarely got a fair price, he loved coming from off the pace especially at Cahokia where speed ruled. Hard to bet on, bet against at your own peril.

magwell
04-17-2015, 12:55 AM
Lonnie Ray.......;)

nijinski
04-17-2015, 01:20 AM
Cordero , Bailey , Maple East Coast favs .

Here in NJ and NY I always liked Canadian born Don Macbeth who died
way too young . Excellent and well respected jockey all around !

Dahoss2002
04-17-2015, 02:12 AM
Larry Snyder.. Louisiana Downs 1980s

appistappis
04-17-2015, 02:15 AM
In an earlier post I said Ken Coppernol.

Hugo Dittfach came from Germany as a teenager and displaced Coppernol as our B tracks leading rider.
Having done that he moved east to Woodbine, where he was very good as well.
Is he still training horses there?

I haven't seen his name listed with an active horse for a while.....saw him last summer at the fort and he looked rather frail.

raybo
04-17-2015, 02:46 AM
Larry Snyder.. Louisiana Downs 1980s

yeah, Larry was very good, except when Pat Day showed up. :lol:

TJDave
04-17-2015, 03:32 AM
Eddie Arcaro. He retired long before I ever made a bet. Only jockey I can think of who never cost me money.

therussmeister
04-17-2015, 09:30 AM
Issac Murphy

DJofSD
04-17-2015, 10:23 AM
Toro on the turf, followed by Eddie D.

elhelmete
04-17-2015, 10:47 AM
Harry Vega at the ROCK!

goatchaser
04-17-2015, 11:51 AM
I believe Cauthen rode for Sangster under contract. I think he had to go across the pond because he grew up and couldnt make weight here.

I did real well betting Stevie when he first started as a bug boy at Arlington Park.
It might have been weight also but he came to Santa Anita and went 0-100 If I remember right. Shortly after he left for England. Found it weird listening to him when they interviewed him in England and he had that British accent.

wonatthewire1
04-17-2015, 12:19 PM
Nick Santagata at MTH and MED

Dean Sarvis MTN

Diane Nelson MTN and NY circuit

codysakic
04-17-2015, 12:36 PM
Agapito Delgadillo. Something about the way he rides has always made me a fan of his. His son Jose is going to be a pretty good rider. He has done very well at Parx and Penn National. I've only been a horse player about 7 years now. There's not many my age. I am 35 and when I go to the track most of the folks are almost twice my age.

And I have been to tracks all over the country. Remington Park, Lone Star Park, The Downs at Albuquerque, Santa Anita, Los Alamitos, Churchill Downs. My home track is Retama Park. The one thing about being one of the younger guys is that the older guys will always chat and give tips here and there.

That's what I love about playing the Ponies. You can learn a lot from a total stranger. I only play a few tracks but seeing a guy study and handicap a random race from lets say Hawthorne or Fairmount Park is pretty impressive when they give you a tip on an exacta play.

cj
04-17-2015, 12:53 PM
Always looked at jockeys as a necessary evil, more a fan of horses than the humans. Double or triple that when it comes to trainers.

OTM Al
04-17-2015, 01:18 PM
The Mig. Then I got to know him and like him even better as a person.

JimG
04-17-2015, 02:03 PM
When I first started playing the races, at Charles Town, my favorite jockey was William R. Lewis, Jr.

Grits
04-17-2015, 02:11 PM
When I first started playing the races, at Charles Town, my favorite jockey was William R. Lewis, Jr.

Do you have a favorite there, these days? I plan to watch Shared Belief tomorrow but, otherwise, I ain't too familiar with these guys. I should totally depend on the horses past performances? Or the jocks? Or the trainers? :lol:

Saratoga_Mike
04-17-2015, 02:13 PM
Grits - JD Acosta is an excellent rider and Travis D. is a great big-money rider.

Vinnie
04-17-2015, 02:27 PM
Love Ramon Dominguez. Awesome Jockey and a Class human being. Top notch all the way around. :)

Grits
04-17-2015, 05:07 PM
Grits - JD Acosta is an excellent rider and Travis D. is a great big-money rider.

Thank you, Mike. Not sure how much I'll watch on a track I'm not familiar with, still I thank you. I look forward to SB. Too, Pimlico and Keeneland have better cards tomorrow than Aqueduct.

biggestal99
04-17-2015, 05:29 PM
Perret, mcbeth, mccarron.

Allan

FrankieFigs
04-17-2015, 06:46 PM
I think both rode at ELP for a couple of meets, FF. I do remember Lumpkins rode on the Ohio circuit, went out to BM/GG, and then came back on the local KY/OH circuits.

They did. Also remember John McKee becoming my "anti-Christ" jockey. He would lose when he was on my choice and beat me when I didn't have him.... :bang:

dogkatcher
04-17-2015, 07:03 PM
Bill Harmatz

Rode Silky Sullivan, and Round Table as a sub for Shoemaker.
Won the Preakness on Royal Orbit, 4th in the Ky. Derby with
tons of trouble.

Yeah, I'm old as dirt.

PoloUK6108
04-17-2015, 10:33 PM
I live just outside of Louisville and Im in my early 20s so when I was really young it was Pat Day just like everyone else. When i got a little older (12-14) and thought i was an expert, Garrett K Gomez. Speaking of Garrett... :confused:

Racetrack Playa
04-17-2015, 11:05 PM
Jose Espinoza , A.R.Napravnik and the MIG :)

Hoofless_Wonder
04-18-2015, 02:04 AM

I forgot about that, but that was absolutely true. Like Pat Day, Gall was a big fish in a little pond, and made a lot of races unbettable - but he plenty of talent. Betting him in the last race at Fairmount was not the road to riches.

Millpond68
04-18-2015, 11:01 AM
Eldon Nelson at Delaware Park

dilanesp
04-18-2015, 11:08 PM
Unlike the masses the Shoe disgusts me, first he stayed at least 5 years too long, he was famous for going extremely wide many times to avoid tight spots during his last years. He was someone to avoid betting on unless he was on a lone front runner. Then he charged appearance fees during his farewell tour.

Worst of all getting in a solo drunk driving accident, never taking responsibility for it saying he only had two beers, suing the state for road design, Ford motor company, and worst of all every doctor and
medical worker that came in contact with him.

Bear in mind 2 beers will get a 102 pound man very impaired, a fact the California DMV icludes with every license renewal.

davew
04-18-2015, 11:30 PM
Julie Krone - she seemed fearless with good sense of pace

Inner Dirt
04-19-2015, 08:34 AM
Bear in mind 2 beers will get a 102 pound man very impaired, a fact the California DMV icludes with every license renewal.

He was a .13% that is more than two beers even for a little guy like Shoemaker also I think the body dissipates a drink an hour and he wasn't tested immediately after taking his last gulp. He and his attorney claimed to the end the hospital gave him alcohol in his I.V. which is preposterous. Then all the lawsuits that followed blaming everyone but himself. In spite of all the money he earned riding he didn't have a lot left because he married a succession of socialite gold diggers. He was a winner on the track, but not much of a person off it.

spang99
04-19-2015, 11:49 AM
Billy Wilson at Mountaineer. He was so freaking bad that you could just write him off with no regard for the talent of the horse under him. Made capping a bit easier and I need any kind of help I can get.

dilanesp
04-19-2015, 03:31 PM
He was a .13% that is more than two beers even for a little guy like Shoemaker also I think the body dissipates a drink an hour and he wasn't tested immediately after taking his last gulp. He and his attorney claimed to the end the hospital gave him alcohol in his I.V. which is preposterous. Then all the lawsuits that followed blaming everyone but himself. In spite of all the money he earned riding he didn't have a lot left because he married a succession of socialite gold diggers. He was a winner on the track, but not much of a person off it.

I think .13 is two drinks in a 102 pound man, sometimes.

The reality is, his lawyer was relying on the fact that most people wouldn't think about his weight when calculating how drunk he was.

I am much more morally neutral about the whole situation though. If you get into an accident and get paralyzed, you are often going to look for people to sue. The medical bills are crushing. It's really easy for people not in that situation to say "well *I* would take responsibility for my actions", but the reality is nobody ever takes responsibility for his or her actions in this sort of situation.

Paseana
04-19-2015, 11:55 PM
Early 80's, just getting into the game, I loved Eddie D.

Eddie D in the 9th! That was my mantra. I loved anything that he rode in the last race of the day. And I actually won some $2 bets back then on Eddie D in the 9th.

Some 30 years later, I still miss him.

Inner Dirt
04-20-2015, 01:49 AM
I think .13 is two drinks in a 102 pound man, sometimes.

The reality is, his lawyer was relying on the fact that most people wouldn't think about his weight when calculating how drunk he was.

I am much more morally neutral about the whole situation though. If you get into an accident and get paralyzed, you are often going to look for people to sue. The medical bills are crushing. It's really easy for people not in that situation to say "well *I* would take responsibility for my actions", but the reality is nobody ever takes responsibility for his or her actions in this sort of situation.

Really? I can understand if someone else was at fault, but Shoemaker brought this all on himself. What happened to taking responsibility for one's actions? Also he got a nice share of the over $100 mil his mounts earned.
I guess the fact he burned through most of that money wasn't his fault either. He should have been able to afford his own medical care.
If you think what he did was normal you don't know the whole story. I lived in that area then, it was pre-internet, his sorry antics were all over the news and the newspapers. Also like I said he rode way too long and charged appearance fees on his farewell tour. He was all about the money, that is what mattered to him.

Inner Dirt
04-20-2015, 09:18 AM
Early 80's, just getting into the game, I loved Eddie D.

Eddie D in the 9th! That was my mantra. I loved anything that he rode in the last race of the day. And I actually won some $2 bets back then on Eddie D in the 9th.

Some 30 years later, I still miss him.

Your name re-opened an old wound. Don't remember the stakes race but I had played a straight pick 3 multiple times with Paseana singled in the last leg I was 2 for 2. I was already figuring out where to have the celebration dinner with my track buddies as the highest winner bought dinner. I can recall the ticket being worth $1500. Paseana runs second to Re Toss at what I recall being 1-5. Years later when I was buying lifetime past performances walking down memory lane I looked up both those horses. Re Toss ran here best lifetime Beyer in that race Paseana her worst, Lady Luck was not on my side that day.

illinoisbred
04-20-2015, 09:18 AM
Earlie Fires from my earliest playing days. As a kid going to Arlington with my folks,Walter Blum. Blum was very friendly to all the countless kids that crowded the rail and returned every hello,unlike William Hartack..what a grouch!

The Judge
04-20-2015, 11:25 AM
Willie Shoemaker, Pincay, Russel Baze,

There was a time when Southern California jockey colony was so strong it almost made no difference who was on your horse. It got stronger if the race was on the turf. The East was unreal at the same time, times were good. Of course there was argument as to which colony was strongest but I am west coast.

The jockeys were as big attraction as the Horses, this would be early 80's thru the early 90's

phattty
04-20-2015, 03:55 PM
Blum.......culmone.......then big time on chris mcCarron

Inner Dirt
04-20-2015, 04:32 PM

There was a time when Southern California jockey colony was so strong it almost made no difference who was on your horse. It got stronger if the race was on the turf. The East was unreal at the same time, times were good. Of course there was argument as to which colony was strongest but I am west coast.

The jockeys were as big attraction as the Horses, this would be early 80's thru the early 90's

I think if you did a study on what jockey depresses a horses odds the most at his home track Baze would win hands down. I remember so many times trying to beat him because his presence made a natural 5-2 shot 6-5, then of course he would beat me. I actually handicap Golden Gate Fields praying that the horse I like doesn't have Baze on it. For some strange reason GG is the only artificial track my pace figures can turn a profit on.

OCF
04-20-2015, 04:44 PM

Those were the days! McCarron, Eddie D, P Val, c'mon!!

Inner Dirt
04-20-2015, 04:44 PM
Anyone remember Francisco "Paco" Mena? While not even a top ten jockey on the Southern Cal circuit he dominated at Pomona (Later Fairplex, now defunct) In the late 70's and 80's. He seemed to get away with a lot of rough riding and never got taken down, at the LA County Fair you got you money's worth if you bet on his mounts.

illinoisbred
04-20-2015, 04:49 PM
Anyone remember Francisco "Paco" Mena? While not even a top ten jockey on the Southern Cal circuit he dominated at Pomona (Later Fairplex, now defunct) In the late 70's and 80's. He seemed to get away with a lot of rough riding and never got taken down, at the LA County Fair you got you money's worth if you bet on his mounts.
I remember him. He rode in Chicago for a year or 2... maybe the late 80's. Yeah, he was pretty aggressive.

Stillriledup
04-20-2015, 04:50 PM
THIS Guy.

X4XoDmjxXWk

cj
04-20-2015, 05:28 PM
THIS Guy.

You're pushing your Youtube limit.

Stillriledup
04-20-2015, 05:33 PM
You're pushing your Youtube limit.

I thought i get one YT video for every winner i release on this site? :D

I'll be more selective. Honest Injun.

Knowclew
04-20-2015, 05:44 PM

Have to give a shout out to anyone putting The Pod on their list. Played a little golf with him, and a lot with Gerry Gallitano in the early 80's....never on my favorite jockey list, but loved to take their money on the course.

As a Chicago guy, late 70's, my first fave riders were Carlos Marquez (Sr.), Roger Cox, and Oscar Sanchez. Juvenal Diaz as well, although we had enough dealings with him to have him make my least fave list a few years later.

Earlie Fires was easily the most dominating rider I have seen on the turf.....not necessarily the best rider, but he moved them all up on the turf.