PDA

View Full Version : Ed Bain.com

1retired
04-15-2015, 10:00 PM
Does anyone have any experience with Ed Bain's website "EdBain.com"?

In simplistic terms, Ed tracks trainer tendencies in terms of (1)wins after a layoff of 45 days or more - to be more exact do they win the first, second, third or fourth race after the layoff. He also tracks wins after claims in terms of 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th race after the claim. He also tracks (3) FTS and second time starters in terms of which trainers have high win%'s in those situations. He also tracks (4) repeat winners in terms of trainer win%'s. He overlays these situations with the jockey factor in terms of whether or not the jockey is one of the trainer's go to jockeys or not.

He gives out a lot of free information on his for subscription based website. He has strong ties to Mark Cramer who I thought was a pretty good contrarian thinking handicapper. I like his ideas because I'm a value handicapper who only bets on horses who are 5-1 or more.

An additional strong play of Ed Bain's is when the owner is also the trainer and he has his go to jockey on board. Ed feels that this is a strong positive betting opportunity. Again, I'd like to know if anyone been down the road with Ed Bain handicapping?

castaway01
04-16-2015, 11:54 AM
Bain had a stretch where he was fighting Equibase where he did give out a lot of free information. Those days are over.

Bain's prices for trainer stats are ridiculously high ($10/day for just East Coast tracks? c'mon) when you can get those stats plus a lot more information in past performances from many other sources.

Also, trainer stats are all over the place these days, and it is very difficult to make money just blindly betting based on past statistics with no other knowledge. Note I did not say it can't be done; just not the way Bain claims to use. Bain himself said betting all of the horses he gave out would result in a pretty substantial loss, but he claimed to be able to toss all the losers and bet the winners. Yeah, sure.

As far as the owner/trainer being the same person, if you've got the data on that, then fine, but that sounds like one of those racing myths (as in, if it were that easy everyone would be doing it).

In other words, save your money and get your "third off the layoff" stats from someone who doesn't make the Daily Racing Form's pricing structure look good.

GameTheory
04-16-2015, 12:21 PM
Is it even really Bain anymore? I seem to remember them trying to sell the business a few years back. (And is the original poster "really" asking?)

upthecreek
04-16-2015, 12:30 PM
Seems like Ed & his wife are still running it
And the price looks to be less than $3 day for ALL TRACKS, not $10 for the East Coast
I tried it when he gave free info Too much to digest for me

LottaKash
04-16-2015, 01:31 PM
There was this related thread not too long a ago... :cool:

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=105221&highlight=bain