38 4 13 17
11% 34% 45%
76 Bet 30.3 60.9 56.1 Return
Loss -45.7 -15.1 -19.9

This is embarrassing.

Not fair :ThmbDown:

Saratoga_Mike
04-12-2015, 08:51 PM
Sample size is way, way too small. In any case, I suspect most customers buy TF PPs for the figures, not the tips.

cj
04-12-2015, 08:52 PM
Sample size is way, way too small. In any case, I suspect most customers buy TF PPs for the figures, not the tips.

Not to mention nobody is buying the analysis, it is free every day.

JJMartin
04-12-2015, 10:07 PM
Timeformus tips for this week

# Races Win Place Show
38 4 13 17
11% 34% 45%
Loss -45.7 -15.1 -19.9

This is embarrassing.

Shows you how hard this game is just with historical data alone. Predicting the future based on the past is never easy. The notion that there are a bunch of "whales" making millions per year from horse racing is pure comedy.

fight
04-13-2015, 10:24 AM
bring him back. he did sa on the contrary well done then they pulled him. id pay for that work.

Tom
04-13-2015, 10:27 AM
Top pick 45% exacta finish.

MONEY
04-13-2015, 10:28 AM

# Races Win Place Show
38 4 13 17
11% 34% 45%
Loss -45.7 -15.1 -19.9

This is embarrassing.
I wish that I had done that well this past week.

PaceAdvantage
04-13-2015, 10:30 AM
The notion that there are a bunch of "whales" making millions per year from horse racing is pure comedy.Yeah...if you mean they're laughing all the way to the bank, then I might agree.

Rebates my friend...but you knew that.

TexasDolly
04-13-2015, 11:33 AM
Not to mention nobody is buying the analysis, it is free every day.

May be , but it would seem the analysis somewhat reflected the figures. Or, is it (the analysis) completely independant ?
Thank you,
TD

PaceAdvantage
04-13-2015, 11:48 AM

# Races Win Place Show
38 4 13 17
11% 34% 45%
Loss -45.7 -15.1 -19.9

This is embarrassing.I hope you'll be back creating a thread when (inevitably), the TFUS folks post some impressive scores...

But, come to think of it, the TFUS folks HAVE posted some impressive scores many, many times over the past couple of years, and I don't remember you creating a thread to promote that...which makes me wonder about your agenda...ooops...the jury is to disregard that last remark...

Gekish
04-13-2015, 12:57 PM
I hope you'll be back creating a thread when (inevitably), the TFUS folks post some impressive scores...

But, come to think of it, the TFUS folks HAVE posted some impressive scores many, many times over the past couple of years, and I don't remember you creating a thread to promote that...which makes me wonder about your agenda...ooops...the jury is to disregard that last remark...

I have one agenda I like to win. I been on this board at least 12 years and buy the Timeformus service. I just do not understand their policy of giving tips. In my mind it reflects the usefulness of their data. And in their case silence would be golden. Again no malice on my part.

JJMartin
04-13-2015, 01:12 PM
Yeah...if you mean they're laughing all the way to the bank, then I might agree.

Rebates my friend...but you knew that.

"Millions" per year off of N.American tracks is a gross exaggeration imo.

PaceAdvantage
04-13-2015, 01:17 PM
I have one agenda I like to win. I been on this board at least 12 years and buy the Timeformus service. I just do not understand their policy of giving tips. In my mind it reflects the usefulness of their data. And in their case silence would be golden. Again no malice on my part.I apologize if I came off harsh...I'll give myself a "Dickhead of the Day" award as a punishment.

Tips are only as good as the guy giving them...don't necessarily blame the tool, but sometimes the user is to blame...and sometimes it's just an inevitable run of bad cards, so to speak.

RXB
04-13-2015, 01:32 PM

# Races Win Place Show
38 4 13 17
11% 34% 45%
Loss -45.7 -15.1 -19.9

This is embarrassing.

You're using a 38-race sample to gong them?

I've had win-wager losing streaks of 41, 40 and 37 over the years.

cj
04-13-2015, 01:36 PM
bring him back. he did sa on the contrary well done then they pulled him. id pay for that work.

Justin isn't pulled, he is still very much with us.

cj
04-13-2015, 01:37 PM
May be , but it would seem the analysis somewhat reflected the figures. Or, is it (the analysis) completely independant ?
Thank you,
TD

It is independent. I sometimes read the analysis and don't agree...other times I do...and sometimes I read and pick up things I missed.

The TimeformUS PPs are WAY more than just the figures. They are one part of it. Even I, as the guy that creates all the figures, would be foolish to say you can beat this game on figures alone. It isn't happening.

cj
04-13-2015, 01:40 PM
I have one agenda I like to win. I been on this board at least 12 years and buy the Timeformus service. I just do not understand their policy of giving tips. In my mind it reflects the usefulness of their data. And in their case silence would be golden. Again no malice on my part.

The analysis is to give people perspective on how horseplayers can use the PPs. It is a new product, and while it isn't totally foreign when it comes to reading PPs, a lot of it does look different than what people have become accustomed to over the years. The analysis helps familiarize people with the layout while hopefully helping with handicapping in general.

Gekish
04-13-2015, 07:45 PM
I apologize if I came off harsh...I'll give myself a "Dickhead of the Day" award as a punishment.

Tips are only as good as the guy giving them...don't necessarily blame the tool, but sometimes the user is to blame...and sometimes it's just an inevitable run of bad cards, so to speak.

I use their service and doing ok betting. It needs a little work but all around it is a bargain at the monthly price.

MarcAtTimeformUS
04-14-2015, 11:27 AM
"justin finch
bring him back. he did sa on the contrary well done then they pulled him. id pay for that work."

We have been getting questions similar to this, so I want to address it here.

Yes, Justin went on a seemingly endless run (including over the entirety of his daily full card analysis of racing on the Southern California circuit) and it moved into hallucinatory territory soon after we published this lengthy Q and A on playing longshots:
http://timeformusblog.com/2015/02/19/betting-on-longshots-what-you-see-is-not-all-there-is/

Part of the mystique of the game is seeing gifted horseplayers make a mockery of the mutuel pools. But those epic runs mean something only if they're part of long-term profitability, right? Did this thread really start with the discussion of our analysts' results over 38 races? Presumably using the results of "Horses in Focus," which are not selections but rather highlights of data points, while ignoring the stakes write ups? Not that any of this matters, since any assessment of handicapping results that begins with words like "Over the last week" has already made the mistake of leading with a punch line.

We're fortunate to have Mike Beer and Justin working for us. They were hired because they're diligent, perceptive, long-term winners, but also because we believe it's essential to have people in their roles who send it in, every day, and ceaselessly refine their game at the windows.

We're a fairly small team. All of our employees wear multiple hats. We ask our analysts to contribute to many other facets of what we offer--as part of the team that helps CJ review TimeformUS Speed and Pace Figures, and as part of the team focused on algorithms to upgrade the current TimeformUS product and build new ones. In Justin's case, he also copy edits the rest of us, though Mike, CJ, and I may be beyond help in that regard. :)

It's a lot, and given what you'll see from us over this spring and summer, we decided to give Justin a short break from daily So Cal handicapping (from March 24th until early May) to focus on everything else we're building for our customers right now. He will be back as part of a Kentucky Derby Package that we believe will be of great benefit to our customers, and his regular analysis of California racing will resume shortly after that.

ReplayRandall
04-14-2015, 12:15 PM
Yes, Justin went on a seemingly endless run (including over the entirety of his daily full card analysis of racing on the Southern California circuit) and it moved into hallucinatory territory soon after we published this lengthy Q and A on playing longshots:
http://timeformusblog.com/2015/02/19/betting-on-longshots-what-you-see-is-not-all-there-is/
Marc, I've read the blog from Justin when it first came out, and I appreciate you posting it here. IMO, this piece from Justin is not only a great read, but it effortlessly covers so much psychological ground, that I consider it a must read for anyone on a lazy Tuesday afternoon.....

thaskalos
04-14-2015, 12:53 PM
I wasn't sure if there were any quality horse racing blogs out there, so, I contemplated starting my own. And then I started reading Justin's articles...and I realized that my blog would be unnecessary. The man clearly knows his stuff...and he relates it well on the page. :ThmbUp:

cosmo96
04-15-2015, 12:15 AM
I have been using Time Form for a month. I think it is great. Right now I'm on a roll. I've made a profit every day for over a week. I do best at Santa Anita. However, I hit a big exacta at Mountineer tonight. Keep up the good work CJ, and all who work at Time Form.

Gekish
04-15-2015, 02:06 PM
Hand-selected by The TimeformUS team, Horses in Focus stand out on our feature sets, such as pace projector, TimeformUS speed figures, spotlight ratings, trainer ratings, pedigree ratings, etc. We offer expanded analysis on one of the Horses in Focus, as well as designating which horse is our Top Play on the day. Expect to see TimeformUS Horses in Focus on this blog typically every Wednesday-Sunday. If Horses in Focus are available for tracks with a later post-time, they will be added to this post throughout the day.

Thunder Gulch
04-16-2015, 09:50 AM
Mark/CJ...I'm a fan and have made the switch. I do wish I could save files and go back to them because not everywhere has WiFi. It is a negative that I can't work on my card while riding in a car with someone else, or I won't be able to access all my notes at Churchill on Derby Day and will have to manually transfer to the pdf print.

I do have one question as it relates to the global Timeform ratings. I know you are using a similar scale to 140, but how can we be confident that the ratings are really parallel with supposedly different methodologies. The attempt to make a 114 in Newmarket or Dubai equal a 114 in the US seems impossible to me. I ask this without knowledge of the methodology for how Timeform's global ratings are created. If we are to believe they really do correspond to each other, you have to give Mubtaahij a big shot in here.

Grits
04-16-2015, 10:36 AM
Mark/CJ...I'm a fan and have made the switch. I do wish I could save files and go back to them because not everywhere has WiFi. It is a negative that I can't work on my card while riding in a car with someone else, or I won't be able to access all my notes at Churchill on Derby Day and will have to manually transfer to the pdf print.

I'm possibly missing something and I'm not Marc or Cj. If I've made a mistake, I'll apologize in advance.

Why are you unable to save the past performances for, both, the Derby and the Oaks? They can be saved in any annotate folder for marking and notes, whether WIFI connected or not. It couldn't be better! Both worked perfectly for me.

Yesterday, the $29.95 package was released, (if you've not bought it, you may want to do so). ;)

The print single race icon is at the top of the fast PPs, click on it, the full PPs will come up. This allows you to save the races. Putting them on your Ipad and your laptop, while at the same time, if you like, printing each, with both, pace figures and adjusted times.

cj
04-16-2015, 12:34 PM

I do have one question as it relates to the global Timeform ratings. I know you are using a similar scale to 140, but how can we be confident that the ratings are really parallel with supposedly different methodologies. The attempt to make a 114 in Newmarket or Dubai equal a 114 in the US seems impossible to me. I ask this without knowledge of the methodology for how Timeform's global ratings are created. If we are to believe they really do correspond to each other, you have to give Mubtaahij a big shot in here.

I have run into the WiFi problem a few times. Do you have a data plan for your phone? I just use my phone when the WiFi isn't working well as a hot spot.

This is actually something we are constantly striving to do, though as you say, it is very difficult. Last year was a big success as the shippers looked best on paper often and paid very well, but we aren't entirely happy with the scale and are working on it now, as we probably always will be. It won't be perfect, but it should be close enough to confidently compare horses from overseas and North America. More to come on this in the near future.

cj
04-16-2015, 12:36 PM
I'm possibly missing something and I'm not Marc or Cj. If I've made a mistake, I'll apologize in advance.

Why are you unable to save the past performances for, both, the Derby and the Oaks? They can be saved in any annotate folder for marking and notes, whether WIFI connected or not. It couldn't be better! Both worked perfectly for me.

Yesterday, the $29.95 package was released, (if you've not bought it, you may want to do so). ;)

The print single race icon is at the top of the fast PPs, click on it, the full PPs will come up. This allows you to save the races. Putting them on your Ipad and your laptop, while at the same time, if you like, printing each, with both, pace figures and adjusted times.

I suspect he is using the "Notes" feature of the PPs and that doesn't transfer to PDF. I'll be honest, haven't played around much with the PDFs so I'm not an expert.

Thunder Gulch
04-16-2015, 03:13 PM
Yes..the notes typed in. For example, I have put notes in on the Oaks/Derby cards online but will eventually have to print the pdf file to take to the track, which won't have notes I've input and will have to break out the ball point pen.

Sure I have data on my phone, but no shot of getting a data signal without draining a battery in 10 minutes on Derby Day. Sure it's only one weekend out of the year, but it happens to be my favorite. On the other hand, handicapping that card in that scene with everything going full speed is impossible and obviously best to do all the real work before arrival.

Grits
04-16-2015, 03:46 PM
Yes..the notes typed in. For example, I have put notes in on the Oaks/Derby cards online but will eventually have to print the pdf file to take to the track, which won't have notes I've input and will have to break out the ball point pen.

Sure I have data on my phone, but no shot of getting a data signal without draining a battery in 10 minutes on Derby Day. Sure it's only one weekend out of the year, but it happens to be my favorite. On the other hand, handicapping that card in that scene with everything going full speed is impossible and obviously best to do all the real work before arrival.

Thunder Gulch, here's a question. If you've done this, please, just tell me to hush. I'm compliant. :lol:

Have you considered at all to save the PPs on your Ipad, ahead, with plenty of time to review, while having the TFUS page open along side. Fox It or IAnnotate, as you may know, both apps, allow not only marking, highlighting, but too, pop up notes. Giving you the ability to type/create your own notations, integrate, and drag/place them on each runner.

My only reason for checking the notes, unlike most, is to read the full charts of past races. Otherwise, I don't dwell there. I'd rather use the PPs as listed and the condensed page figures (which is still my favorite tool.)

Am I making sense of all of this? I know you spoke of a manual transfer of notes, but maybe not? I'm probably showing my ignorance here...but I've done so before, and I tend to get over such things quickly, not having to be right. ;)

Thunder Gulch
04-16-2015, 05:25 PM
I haven't done that, and it's a good idea. I make notes within the TFUS program as I go along because I do like looking at charts, breeding info, pace/fraction info for leader/horse. You have a good idea, however, and I suppose using those apps you mention to cut/paste on the condensed is a route I could take and save some heartache, but on big days like BC, it's still a lot.

ElKabong
07-11-2015, 12:34 PM
I have run into the WiFi problem a few times. Do you have a data plan for your phone? I just use my phone when the WiFi isn't working well as a hot spot.

This is actually something we are constantly striving to do, though as you say, it is very difficult. Last year was a big success as the shippers looked best on paper often and paid very well, but we aren't entirely happy with the scale and are working on it now, as we probably always will be. It won't be perfect, but it should be close enough to confidently compare horses from overseas and North America. More to come on this in the near future.

Embarrassing question here. I did a search and didn't see anything mentioned about being able to enlarge the size of the screen on a phone. I've tried to enlarge TMUS screens (pp's to be exact) and cannot do so. My gf tried to enlarge her screen, no luck. Can you enlarge / expand the screen to get a better view of pp's?

I need to enlarge the screen to scroll down on pp's, and to be able to read data on the pp's....It woulkd be nice to able to go to the track (live racing) and have access to TMUS pp's w/o the paper.

Thanks in advance

letswastemoney
07-12-2015, 01:57 AM
Honestly, I use TimeformUS because TVG offers it for free lol.

It's not only for the figures. All the color coding is ten times better than looking at the depressing black and white on DRF/BRIS.

Delta Cone
07-12-2015, 07:47 AM
http://m.wikihow.com/Zoom-In-or-Out-on-an-iPhone-or-iPod-Touch

ElKabong
07-12-2015, 12:23 PM
Cone,

Thank you but that didn't work when I tried enlarging the preview pages. I've been able to enlarge the pp's by card or race.... But not the preview or overviews... If anyone can enlarge the preview page I'd appreciate the help. At the track last night four of us couldn't enlarge the screen. None of us are novices when it comes to phones.

cj
07-12-2015, 03:01 PM
Cone,

Thank you but that didn't work when I tried enlarging the preview pages. I've been able to enlarge the pp's by card or race.... But not the preview or overviews... If anyone can enlarge the preview page I'd appreciate the help. At the track last night four of us couldn't enlarge the screen. None of us are novices when it comes to phones.

You can do it on tablets / iPads, but the PPs aren't really designed for a phone. We are working on a phone friendly app, but it won't be the full version. Screens just aren't big enough.

ElKabong
07-13-2015, 01:29 PM
Thank you, CJ

Grits
07-16-2015, 01:33 PM
In regard to the comment by Tom on the TFUS summer special offer in a now closed thread.

As Focuswiz noted, the correct length of time is 3 days, not 33 days.

[from TFUS]

--Available Now: Three Day Unlimited Pass for $9.99.

Tom
07-16-2015, 01:38 PM
In regard to the comment by Tom on the TFUS summer special offer in a now closed thread.

[/b][/font]

Ooops! My bad...sorry CJ!
Thanks for catching that, GRITS!

cj
07-16-2015, 01:51 PM
Ooops! My bad...sorry CJ!
Thanks for catching that, GRITS!

It's still a very good deal!!! :)

Today's first race winner at Belmont would have more than paid for it with a $2 bet.

FocusWiz
07-16-2015, 01:55 PM

[/b][/font]
Yes...for any 3 consecutive days and the offer is good through Labor Day (as I indicated in the other thread).

Tom
07-16-2015, 02:00 PM
That convinced me to take off next Friday and spend the first three days of Toga raking it in! :cool:

cj
07-16-2015, 02:26 PM
One thing I can assure you is that we don't have a Triple Crown winner rated as 4th fastest among his age group.

Grits
07-22-2015, 06:11 PM
Cj, a question regarding the condensed. I noticed this after the upgrade took place weeks ago.

Unlike hitting the print icon that allows the option modes (single race and condensed) to come up on the laptop, this doesn't occur on my tablet. So, no condensed figures on tablets for viewing at the track? Has format changed with upgrade? The running style, ie, early/late figures, on the Preview Page, yes. Viewable access to each horses condensed figures, no? I've always printed them in the past. I want less paper, so viewing is hopeful.

Please, help steer me. Unrelated (to racing) stress is killing brain cells. :lol:

Thanks in advance.

cj
07-22-2015, 08:37 PM
Cj, a question regarding the condensed. I noticed this after the upgrade took place weeks ago.

Unlike hitting the print icon that allows the option modes (single race and condensed) to come up on the laptop, this doesn't occur on my tablet. So, no condensed figures on tablets for viewing at the track? Has format changed with upgrade? The running style, ie, early/late figures, on the Preview Page, yes. Viewable access to each horses condensed figures, no? I've always printed them in the past. I want less paper, so viewing is hopeful.

Please, help steer me. Unrelated (to racing) stress is killing brain cells. :lol:

Thanks in advance.

My tablet is dead right now, I'll check it out and see what I find and forward this on as well.

cj
07-22-2015, 08:44 PM
Justin Finch had a great day today at Del Mar:

http://timeformusblog.com/2015/07/22/on-the-contrary-del-mars-most-playable-longshots-on-wednesday-july-22nd/

Of the 6 horses he listed, he had three winners at 11-1, 8-1, and 7-2 and two runners up at 5-1 and 28-1. His 49-1 shot in the last ran out.

cj
07-22-2015, 08:45 PM

Thanks in advance.

Can you give me the tablet / browser you are using?

Grits
07-22-2015, 09:00 PM
Can you give me the tablet / browser you are using?

Apple Ipad w/Retina display, 32G, purchased end of November 2012. Safari is the browser.

Thank you.

Justin's back! Glad he had such a fine day...

o_crunk
07-22-2015, 09:10 PM
Apple Ipad w/Retina display, 32G, purchased end of November 2012. Safari is the browser.

Thank you.

Hi Grits. Works fine on my iPad both Chrome and Safari.

Only thing that I can think of would be if you're using an older version of iOS, which might pose a problem. If you don't want to update to the new iOS, try Chrome and perhaps it may work on that browser.

If none of those things work, email support. I can look in your user logs and track down exactly what the issue is.

o_crunk
07-22-2015, 09:14 PM

Thank you.

Also just to be clear.

Condensed and Full Card are not generated until after the card has gone final with program numbers and ML.

So if you're looking at a card that doesn't have program number in the interface, the condensed will for sure not be available until after that card has gone final.

Grits
07-22-2015, 09:24 PM
Hi Grits. Works fine on my iPad both Chrome and Safari.

Only thing that I can think of would be if you're using an older version of iOS, which might pose a problem. If you don't want to update to the new iOS, try Chrome and perhaps it may work on that browser.

If none of those things work, email support. I can look in your user logs and track down exactly what the issue is.

Thank you, o_c.

I never updated to the new version of iOS as I was constantly...repeatedly told, "no, you don't want it. It's a pain. Forget the update, ignore it." And I have. The Ipad works well. I have a desktop, a laptop, and another Samsung mini tablet. I really hope I don't need to spend another $750 to replace this Ipad so I can have condensed figures at the track.

I never go with the cards until they're final. I'm aware of all of that.

o_crunk
07-22-2015, 09:33 PM
Thank you, o_c.

I never updated to the new version of iOS as I was constantly...repeatedly told, "no, you don't want it. It's a pain. Forget the update, ignore it." And I have. The Ipad works well. I have a desktop, a laptop, and another Samsung mini tablet. I really hope I don't need to spend another $750 to replace this Ipad so I can have condensed figures at the track.

I never go with the cards until they're final. I'm aware of all of that.

If you get a new iPad, it will for sure be equipped with the new iOS! But at the same time, I'm sympathetic to not updating to the iOS. I'm not a fan and it is a step backwards, IMO. However, it's increasingly difficult to support the many past iterations of iOS with a single page like application like TFUS.

I'd be curious to know which version of iOS you're using. If you've never updated, you're probably stuck on iOS 6 which is basically light years ago.

Grits
07-22-2015, 10:08 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Apple-Display-MD523LL-Verizon-Generation/dp/B009W9JP06

O_c, thank you, but never mind, I can't see buying a new Ipad, just for viewing my condensed figures. If there was something defective with the tablet, not working properly, etc, it would be different. Or if it was my only means of being able to get online, I could justify it. I can still see the preview page and the full past performances. I just wanted to go with the Ipad and no clutter.

Take care, and again, thank you.

If you get a new iPad, it will for sure be equipped with the new iOS! But at the same time, I'm sympathetic to not updating to the iOS. I'm not a fan and it is a step backwards, IMO. However, it's increasingly difficult to support the many past iterations of iOS with a single page like application like TFUS.

I'd be curious to know which version of iOS you're using. If you've never updated, you're probably stuck on iOS 6 which is basically light years ago.

cj
07-22-2015, 10:15 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Apple-Display-MD523LL-Verizon-Generation/dp/B009W9JP06

O_c, thank you, but never mind, I can't see buying a new Ipad, just for viewing my condensed figures. If there was something defective with the tablet, not working properly, etc, it would be different. Or if it was my only means of being able to get online, I could justify it. I can still see the preview page and the full past performances. I just wanted to go with the Ipad and no clutter.

Take care, and again, thank you.

I would bet Chrome will work, even if you only use it for TimeformUS.

Grits
07-22-2015, 10:58 PM
I would bet Chrome will work, even if you only use it for TimeformUS.

I just looked a bit, and found several notes like this one ... iOS 7.

https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/2393487?hl=en

I wanted it to be simple. We know I'm not tech savvy. Just the opposite, sadly.

Thanks Cj and o_c.

PaceAdvantage
07-23-2015, 11:33 AM
Decent 8" windows tablets run $250 or less...and I think are the best tablet bargains out there...unless you're married to the Apple app store...

o_crunk
07-23-2015, 11:44 AM
I just looked a bit, and found several notes like this one ... iOS 7.

https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/2393487?hl=en

I wanted it to be simple. We know I'm not tech savvy. Just the opposite, sadly.

Thanks Cj and o_c.

Yes, when the big boys like Google are saying you need to upgrade to even download the browser, it's time to go ahead and take the leap and update your iOS.

Grits
07-23-2015, 04:37 PM
Decent 8" windows tablets run $250 or less...and I think are the best tablet bargains out there...unless you're married to the Apple app store...

PA and O_C, this sounds like a fine deal, and less costly. Still, with a short two nights stay at the beach beginning Sunday...I could easily buy another Ipad. Saratoga cost less than the beach at high season. For my son and me, right now though, a trip to the beach, five weeks after his pneumonia, is far more valuable and fun than an Ipad. Older iOS 6 or not, it can wait.

I wrote a lengthy post asking why the condensed figures couldn't be made available via email attachment, regardless of tablet model. But, I gave up, deleting it. I do know--I wish I had $100 for every former customer of Cj's who relied solely on the condensed figure's quick, user friendly format, which, when you study it, creates the trademarked, Pace Projector. It's gold.

I printed tomorrow's condensed last night. So much for the tablet only at the track. For now. I'll bite sooner or later. ;)

o_crunk
07-23-2015, 04:59 PM
PA and O_C, this sounds like a fine deal, and less costly. Still, with a short two nights stay at the beach beginning Sunday...I could easily buy another Ipad. Saratoga cost less than the beach at high season. For my son and me, right now though, a trip to the beach, five weeks after his pneumonia, is far more valuable and fun than an Ipad. Older iOS 6 or not, it can wait.

I wrote a lengthy post asking why the condensed figures couldn't be made available via email attachment, regardless of tablet model. But, I gave up, deleting it. I do know--I wish I had $100 for every former customer of Cj's who relied solely on the condensed figure's quick, user friendly format, which, when you study it, creates the trademarked, Pace Projector. It's gold.

I printed tomorrow's condensed last night. So much for the tablet only at the track. For now. I'll bite sooner or later. ;)

Just email support and I will email you the condensed PDF.

(Just FYI, if I wasn't clear, updating your iOS costs nothing. Simply tap "Settings" on your iPad then "general" and then software update.)

Grits
07-23-2015, 08:08 PM
Just email support and I will email you the condensed PDF.

(Just FYI, if I wasn't clear, updating your iOS costs nothing. Simply tap "Settings" on your iPad then "general" and then software update.)

Thank you o_c.

I've left the red circled 1, indicating the update, on my settings icon of my Ipad for a long while now, as I said earlier.

I'm aware that it cost nothing to update the software. Of course not. However, my decision was reaffirmed, again, last night when you, too, told me, "I'm not a fan. It's a step backwards".

How in the world does two sheets of type (the condensed), much less complicated and vast than past performance pages, throw a wrench in an app? I'm clueless on this part, but I'm ok with being so. You're patient and helpful. I appreciate it. ;)

o_crunk
07-23-2015, 09:29 PM
Thank you o_c.

I've left the red circled 1, indicating the update, on my settings icon of my Ipad for a long while now, as I said earlier.

I'm aware that it cost nothing to update the software. Of course not. However, my decision was reaffirmed, again, last night when you, too, told me, "I'm not a fan. It's a step backwards".

How in the world does two sheets of type (the condensed), much less complicated and vast than past performance pages, throw a wrench in an app? I'm clueless on this part, but I'm ok with being so. You're patient and helpful. I appreciate it. ;)

The short answer is that the functionality that allows that particular drop down to work was not available at the time that OS and Safari were shipped. That was at least 2 iterations of Safari/iOS ago, which like I said, in development terms is a long time ago, so long ago that it's no longer widely supported.

There's a longer, technical answer as to why we chose to use that print/pdf functionality behind a drop down and not use an icon as we previously used that is probably not worth explaining.

Grits
07-23-2015, 10:31 PM
The short answer is that the functionality that allows that particular drop down to work was not available at the time that OS and Safari were shipped. That was at least 2 iterations of Safari/iOS ago, which like I said, in development terms is a long time ago, so long ago that it's no longer widely supported.

There's a longer, technical answer as to why we chose to use that print/pdf functionality behind a drop down and not use an icon as we previously used that is probably not worth explaining.

The short answer.

I clearly get your point. :faint:

Exotic1
07-24-2015, 10:11 AM
I see a new icon called "Strategies" has been added to the main screen. The "Strategies" icon, when selected, provides someone with the opportunity to pay $19.99 for someones betting strategy for a single track. The market of course will determine if the price points are right.

But, perhaps, the placement of the new icon should be reconsidered. Does it really make sense for this new icon to occupy the same screen space that the "Print" icon used to occupy? That screen space is prime real estate where a user intuitively (and repetitively) went to, to print Condensed (and Full Card) reports for multiple tracks. If someone is ordering the $19.99 Special, they'll find the icon if it was placed somewhere out of the range of the other 4 icons. Place the Strategies icon on the top left of the screen - to the right of the Timeform logo - as an example. It's now too intrusive and a user needs to be careful to hit the correct Print icon unless they want to get involved with a dialog of paying $19.99.

In place of the "Strategies" icon, what about adding an "Old CJ Format" icon (without the $19.99 Special). The Strategies icon when moved to the upper left of the screen will be easy to find for those looking for it. JMO.

o_crunk
07-24-2015, 10:27 AM
I see a new icon called "Strategies" has been added to the main screen. The "Strategies" icon, when selected, provides someone with the opportunity to pay $19.99 for someones betting strategy for a single track. The market of course will determine if the price points are right.

But, perhaps, the placement of the new icon should be reconsidered. Does it really make sense for this new icon to occupy the same screen space that the "Print" icon used to occupy? That screen space is prime real estate where a user intuitively (and repetitively) went to, to print Condensed (and Full Card) reports for multiple tracks. If someone is ordering the $19.99 Special, they'll find the icon if it was placed somewhere out of the range of the other 4 icons. Place the Strategies icon on the top left if the screen - to the right of the Timeform logo - as an example. It's now too intrusive and a user needs to be careful to hit the correct Print icon unless they want to get involved with a dialog of paying $19.99.

In place of the "Strategies" icon, what about adding an "Old CJ Format" icon (without the $19.99 Special). The Strategies icon when moved to the upper left of the screen will be easy to find for those looking for it. JMO.

The strategies icon only shows up on those tracks where there is strategies offered. It's an addition to the menu and the movement of tabs to the left occupies "space" that was otherwise empty. The print tab is still there and so is the drop down menu showing you what options are available. It is very straight forward, IMO.

I know this is a CJ crowd but I just want to point out that the condensed is a feature that a small fraction of users choose to to download. I often check in here and all I hear about is the condensed version but that does not represent the overall use case for the overall user base. Not that there's anything wrong with that, we love hearing what users think. We are just interested in working on projects that advance PPs forward along with the internet.

Frankly, I'd love to do away with all PDF offerings straight away and perhaps even make a condensed web version that is a little bit more dynamic. And one day, when the tech for offline webpages get a little bit better, we probably will.

Grits
07-24-2015, 01:16 PM
The strategies icon only shows up on those tracks where there is strategies offered. It's an addition to the menu and the movement of tabs to the left occupies "space" that was otherwise empty. The print tab is still there and so is the drop down menu showing you what options are available. It is very straight forward, IMO.

I know this is a CJ crowd but I just want to point out that the condensed is a feature that a small fraction of users choose to to download. I often check in here and all I hear about is the condensed version but that does not represent the overall use case for the overall user base. Not that there's anything wrong with that, we love hearing what users think. We are just interested in working on projects that advance PPs forward along with the internet.

Frankly, I'd love to do away with all PDF offerings straight away and perhaps even make a condensed web version that is a little bit more dynamic. And one day, when the tech for offline webpages get a little bit better, we probably will.

Of course, the condensed doesn't represent the overall use case for the user base. Why is this even a point? Those that use it--like it. EOC.

A Cj crowd? That's your problem, not ours. When in business for himself he offered products to all of his customers regardless of their level of proficiency, or frequency of purchase. He met the needs of everyone without complaint. Stop whining. When you've been a one man operation, we'll listen. :lol:

And finally, O-C, would you believe? That iteration of my Ipad won't let me click and download "strategies" either. I knew it wouldn't. There goes my $20 a day purchase of Beer's work.

Can you email 'em? :lol:

JimG
07-24-2015, 01:17 PM
I know this is a CJ crowd but I just want to point out that the condensed is a feature that a small fraction of users choose to to download.

So how do you download the condensed? All this talk has me revisiting the site after some time and I am looking at the free race of the day at the SPA. How do I get the condensed figs for the race?

Grits
07-24-2015, 01:38 PM
So how do you download the condensed? All this talk has me revisiting the site after some time and I am looking at the free race of the day at the SPA. How do I get the condensed figs for the race?

Purchase pps for the day's entire card. After you purchase the card, go to track finder. Click your choice. Your card will come up. Click on the print icon, the drop down menu will come up, giving you each option. The condensed pps are there for downloading.

Filling in for O-C who is on his 10 minute lunch break.
(If he gets that, today.)

JimG
07-24-2015, 01:44 PM
Purchase pps for the day's entire card. After you purchase the card, go to track finder. Click your choice. Your card will come up. Click on the print icon, the drop down menu will come up, giving you each option. The condensed pps are there for downloading.

Filling in for O-C who is on his 10 minute lunch break.
(If he gets that, today.)

Thanks for the reply Grits. Do they look the same as they did when I used cj's program? Have there been any enhancements? Thanks for your time.

Jim

Grits
07-24-2015, 01:47 PM
Thanks for the reply Grits. Do they look the same as they did when I used cj's program? Have there been any enhancements? Thanks for your time.

Jim

Yes. They're the same.

cj
07-24-2015, 03:57 PM
Here is an example from Saratoga today. Can't do this much, but day is almost over.

JimG
07-24-2015, 04:03 PM
Thanks for that cj. 2 quick questions..are the 4 rules horses noted? Secondly, can we scratch horses prior to printing? Thanks for your time.

cj
07-24-2015, 04:05 PM
Thanks for that cj. 2 quick questions..are the 4 rules horses noted? Secondly, can we scratch horses prior to printing? Thanks for your time.

No on both. I use Foxit PP reader to modify them (scratches) and add Pace Projectors personally. I also add notes like 1st L, Bl On/Off, Gelding info, etc.

cj
07-24-2015, 04:07 PM
Like this:

JimG
07-24-2015, 04:10 PM
cj,

That is nifty. I have Nitro Pro PDF that I use to edit pdf documents that I may be able to do something similar with. Thanks for the thought.

Jim

hracingplyr
07-24-2015, 04:27 PM
did u get the pace projec attached to the condesed print out? I have foxit

Bob

cj
07-24-2015, 04:33 PM
did u get the pace projec attached to the condesed print out? I have foxit

Bob

I just copy and paste. You need to use paint or something to get them and crop. It only takes me about 5 minutes to do a whole card now that I've had some practice.

Kash$
07-24-2015, 04:53 PM
I have a samsung galaxy 10..Condense option shows up and i could either print or save into pdf file

Grits
07-24-2015, 09:57 PM
And finally, O-C, would you believe? That iteration of my Ipad won't let me click and download "strategies" either. I knew it wouldn't. There goes my $20 a day purchase of Beer's work.

Can you email 'em? :lol:

Gentlemen, I have to clear this up. Today, when I posted this for O-Crunk, I was teasing him and making fun of myself. He has a tough job and he's mighty good at it. Anytime, I've needed his help at TFUS, he's been right there--in a heartbeat. :ThmbUp:

Grits
07-25-2015, 08:19 PM
On condensed today at Saratoga.

The first half of the card is excluded as three of the 5 were maiden races.

In races 6 through 11.

Race 6 was won by: 3rd off layoff
Race 7 was won by: 3rd time out, 2nd place horse--3rd off layoff
Race 8 2nd place finisher was: 3rd off layoff behind the highest early speed horse
Race 9 was stolen by: 3rd time out
Race 11 was won by: 3rd off layoff

Don't always mark blinkers, etc, but I never fail to note the lay off horses and 3rd time starters. These are so easy to spot on my condensed pages.

Are you listening to me, O-Crunk? :lol:

fight
07-28-2015, 12:14 PM
I paid 400 for both Delmar and Saratoga so far not good.

cj
07-28-2015, 12:40 PM
I paid 400 for both Delmar and Saratoga so far not good.

I haven't read them all, but I'll just say there is a long way to go.

PressThePace
07-28-2015, 03:48 PM
Maybe someone can help with this. I purchased pp's for 7/25. I'm trying to go back and view them, but when I click the GO button, nothing is happening. It won't open the pp. Is there a time limit on how long I can view previously purchased pp's?

Kash$
07-28-2015, 10:44 PM
Maybe someone can help with this. I purchased pp's for 7/25. I'm trying to go back and view them, but when I click the GO button, nothing is happening. It won't open the pp. Is there a time limit on how long I can view previously purchased pp's?

Yes the time limit is 3 days I save pps into pdf file..

RXB
07-29-2015, 12:09 PM
A suggestion: in the TFUS charts, where the horses' finish positions are shown for their prior & subsequent starts, it would be an improvement to include field size. For example, finishing third in a five-horse field is no accomplishment; finishing third of 12 is a good showing. So "3rd/5" or "3rd/12" would be more informative than simply "3rd."

PressThePace
07-30-2015, 01:10 PM
Yes the time limit is 3 days I save pps into pdf file..

Thanks Kash....appreciate the help.

cj
08-03-2015, 05:08 PM
I haven't read them all, but I'll just say there is a long way to go.

I'm sure Mike would be the first to admit he has had a slow start...until today.

Pick 5: 4,5,6 with 1,8 with 1 with 1,5 with 1,10

Results: $2 Pick 5 5-1-1/7-1-1 (5 correct) 27,477.00

Grits
08-03-2015, 05:46 PM
I'm sure Mike would be the first to admit he has had a slow start...until today.

Good for him!!! :ThmbUp: Doesn't take but one of these to make up for a world of losses.

PressThePace
08-03-2015, 07:30 PM
Great job Mikey!! I've said it before and will say it again, he is the best public handicapper out there imo.

Zaf
08-03-2015, 08:25 PM

Nice !!! :ThmbUp:

Z

GaryG
09-30-2016, 12:03 PM
What happened to Atticus Finch's little brother? Did he disappear because the "in focus" section has become all New York all the time? No Del Mar and I suppose no SA until the BC.

cj
09-30-2016, 07:25 PM
What happened to Atticus Finch's little brother? Did he disappear because the "in focus" section has become all New York all the time? No Del Mar and I suppose no SA until the BC.

He is still around but has some other duties taking precedence as far as I know.

pandy
09-30-2016, 11:29 PM
"justin finch
bring him back. he did sa on the contrary well done then they pulled him. id pay for that work."

We have been getting questions similar to this, so I want to address it here.

Part of the mystique of the game is seeing gifted horseplayers make a mockery of the mutuel pools. But those epic runs mean something only if they're part of long-term profitability, right? Did this thread really start with the discussion of our analysts' results over 38 races? Presumably using the results of "Horses in Focus," which are not selections but rather highlights of data points, while ignoring the stakes write ups? Not that any of this matters, since any assessment of handicapping results that begins with words like "Over the last week" has already made the mistake of leading with a punch line.

We're fortunate to have Mike Beer and Justin working for us. They were hired because they're diligent, perceptive, long-term winners, but also because we believe it's essential to have people in their roles who send it in, every day, and ceaselessly refine their game at the windows.

We're a fairly small team. All of our employees wear multiple hats. We ask our analysts to contribute to many other facets of what we offer--as part of the team that helps CJ review TimeformUS Speed and Pace Figures, and as part of the team focused on algorithms to upgrade the current TimeformUS product and build new ones. In Justin's case, he also copy edits the rest of us, though Mike, CJ, and I may be beyond help in that regard. :)

It's a lot, and given what you'll see from us over this spring and summer, we decided to give Justin a short break from daily So Cal handicapping (from March 24th until early May) to focus on everything else we're building for our customers right now. He will be back as part of a Kentucky Derby Package that we believe will be of great benefit to our customers, and his regular analysis of California racing will resume shortly after that.

Thanks for posting this interview blog, very good.