PDA

View Full Version : Amateur announcer day.

Stillriledup
04-08-2015, 09:13 PM
Why can't some track have amateur announcer day. One day per year, they accept video submissions (in advance of course) from amateur race callers and select 10 random Joe Blows in society to come in and call that day's races. Each person gets one race to call. To me, that would be fun and exciting, would make 10 "racing fans" dreams come true, would let the "fans" be more of a part of the action, what would be the harm? Seems like a fun idea, no?

Milkshaker
04-08-2015, 09:45 PM
The original post was up at 9:13 p.m. and I am shocked that 1/2 hour later there is no wiseguy reply such as:

"Every day is amateur announcer day at ___________(insert track of whichever racecaller you prefer to bash)."

ReplayRandall
04-08-2015, 10:42 PM
The original post was up at 9:13 p.m. and I am shocked that 1/2 hour later there is no wiseguy reply such as:

"Every day is amateur announcer day at ___________(insert track of whichever racecaller you prefer to bash)."
Your reply will do just fine.. :cool:

v j stauffer
04-09-2015, 01:46 AM
Why can't some track have amateur announcer day. One day per year, they accept video submissions (in advance of course) from amateur race callers and select 10 random Joe Blows in society to come in and call that day's races. Each person gets one race to call. To me, that would be fun and exciting, would make 10 "racing fans" dreams come true, would let the "fans" be more of a part of the action, what would be the harm? Seems like a fun idea, no?

How long do you have to be away to regain amateur status. That could be my way back in.

Riles you're my agent Replay Randall my technical advisor!

I'm BACK baby :cool:

Hoofless_Wonder
04-09-2015, 02:32 AM
Why can't some track have amateur announcer day... To me, that would be fun and exciting, would make 10 "racing fans" dreams come true, would let the "fans" be more of a part of the action, what would be the harm? Seems like a fun idea, no?

SRU, have you ever been on track when an amateur or substitute announcer has taken the mike? It usually ain't pretty. Makes one appreciate the "bad" callers in the sport.

OTOH, anything to generate more fan interest would be a good thing, and this is hardly the worst idea you've ever had. There's a bit of a wanna-be announcer in many of us. I for one finding myself mumbling, "Here they come spinning out the turn..." when accelerating my car or motorcycle through a 270 degree on ramp. And it's not uncommon for me to announce, "Thhheeee flag is UP!!" at the end of a business meeting just before everyone pushes their chairs back and stand up, sometimes getting some odd looks from the non-racing crowd.

I think there used to be one of the California tracks that had a deal where you could sit in the pressbox and have your call of a race or two recorded for posterity. Don't recall the details, but I could live with someone editing through some of those for the highlights - good, bad and funny.

Stillriledup
04-09-2015, 03:03 AM
How long do you have to be away to regain amateur status. That could be my way back in.

Wow, great call, i think the standard is at least one year and 4 months and then you automatically regain amateur status.

This could be your big break!! :D

Stillriledup
04-09-2015, 03:05 AM
SRU, have you ever been on track when an amateur or substitute announcer has taken the mike? It usually ain't pretty. Makes one appreciate the "bad" callers in the sport.

OTOH, anything to generate more fan interest would be a good thing, and this is hardly the worst idea you've ever had. There's a bit of a wanna-be announcer in many of us. I for one finding myself mumbling, "Here they come spinning out the turn..." when accelerating my car or motorcycle through a 270 degree on ramp. And it's not uncommon for me to announce, "Thhheeee flag is UP!!" at the end of a business meeting just before everyone pushes their chairs back and stand up, sometimes getting some odd looks from the non-racing crowd.

I think there used to be one of the California tracks that had a deal where you could sit in the pressbox and have your call of a race or two recorded for posterity. Don't recall the details, but I could live with someone editing through some of those for the highlights - good, bad and funny.

Its bad if someone like Conan O'Brien is calling the race and trying to be funny at the expense of accuracy, but this competition i'm suggesting would be callers who had some talent, they would be vetted out by the track thru a demo tape, i don't know if we would get 10 who were good enough to call, but they could take as many as they liked and let those callers divvy up the entire race card.

Inner Dirt
04-09-2015, 10:07 AM
A disclaimer I am 54 was hit in the head a lot as a youth and have suffered a half dozen concussions or more, but I do remember the occasional guest announcer in the distant past at possibly Los Alamitos? It was either there or Hollywood Park. It usually was someone studying at the U of A race track program.

FrankieFigs
04-09-2015, 10:22 AM
This is a good idea and would be fun, but I can't help but imagine the first time some idiot calls a race and starts ranting, raving, cussing, etc.....

v j stauffer
04-09-2015, 10:37 AM
This is a good idea and would be fun, but I can't help but imagine the first time some idiot calls a race and starts ranting, raving, cussing, etc.....

I used to do that all the time. No biggie.

ReplayRandall
04-09-2015, 11:39 AM

Did you fill out your App. at Woodbine yet? If not, here's a copy of the job opening:

Job Description

Company Overview:

With roots dating back to 1881, Woodbine Entertainment Group has emerged as a leader in Canada's entertainment industry.

Long recognized as the country's largest and most innovative horse racing operator, the company has grown into an admired and respected multi-purpose entertainment organization delivering first-class service within its world-class facilities (Woodbine Racetrack, Mohawk Racetrack, Greenwood Teletheatre, WEGZ and Turf Lounge).

Position Overview:

Company Name: Woodbine Entertainment Group
Business Address: 555 Rexdale Blvd, Etobicoke, Ontario M9W 5L2
Title: Announcer
Job Type: Permanent Position
Wage: $80,000- $100,000 per year (Negotiable)
Benefits: Health, Dental, Pension Plan, life insurance, AD&D, and others as per Company Policy
Work Location: Woodbine Racetrack: 555 Rexdale Blvd, Etobicoke, Ontario M9W 5L2
Years of Experience: Minimum 7 years relevant work experience
For more information contact: Stacey Ramnauth by phone: 416- 675-3993 ext. 2509 by fax: 416-213-2129, by email sramnauth@woodbineentertainment.com or by mail at 555 Rexdale Blvd, Etobicoke, Ontario M9W 5L2.

Summary:

Capture the spirit of racing as the next Thoroughbred Race Announcer at Woodbine Racetrack!
As the voice of Woodbine Racetrack you will be the Thoroughbred Racing storyteller at Canada's leading racetrack. Thriving in a fast paced environment you have fans on the edges of their seats in dire anticipation as your energetic voice narrates to the thunder of hoofbeats pounding the tracks.
You will not only share the rich history of racing with fans around the globe but with your dynamic speaking manner you make big wins big at our unique world class racing events.
A love for horse racing with your polished knowledge of the industry will allow you to flourish in this role.
We are looking for someone who is excited about this rare opportunity to engage with the Toronto community, create legends and capture the spirit of racing to be the new voice of Woodbine!

Key Responsibilities:

.Call racing events in a live Thoroughbred racing card at Woodbine Racetrack and act as a back-up for Standardbred race call both throughout the grandstand and for televised events as applicable.
.Provide commentary on play-by-play descriptions, Official decisions and post-race explanations.
.Announce post parades, minutes to post, races, official order of finish, official prices and details about each race including jockeys, mare and dam for each horse, practice training outcomes etc.
.Introduce and close races using memorized or read scripts
.Create excitement and passion during live racing for audience
.Research background information to prepare for races and interviews with a thorough understanding of all details pertaining to the racing event (i.e./silks, jockey names, history of horses, daily training etc.)
.In addition to developed networks, continue to engage in strong relationships with customers, the public, the racing community and other external sources
.Perform ad-hoc interviews with owners and jockeys about their lives, their work or topics of current interest
.Host charitable or promotional WEG events which might be broadcast on television or radio
.Demonstrate a stellar voice for both television and radio
.On air host for simulcast and/or network broadcast productions as required

Qualifications:

Job Requirements:

Skills and Knowledge:

.The ability to provide knowledgeable commentary through a solid understanding of Thoroughbred racing
.Familiarity with computers, use of social media and comfort with online research software
.Familiarity with broadcasting commentary and equipment and ability to work within live-to-air broadcast operations restrictions
.Ability to work under pressure in a fast paced, multi-faceted environment with minimal supervision
.Passion about the horse racing industry
.Ability to use good judgment and keen awareness of 'live' surroundings
.Comfort representing WEG as a public figure and engaging audiences
.Outgoing personality coupled with the ability to build genuine relationships
.Ability to make sound decisions and problem solve
.Ability to react to unexpected events/outcomes
.Commitment to excellence
.Ability to learn new skills quickly with a keen attention to detail

Communication Skills:

.Superior written skills
.Excellent verbal communication skills
.Ability to speak clearly and confidently in front of live audience with or without the aid of a written script
.Ability to speak extemporaneously to audience on topics of interests such as background and past record of players
.Excellent tone, microphone technique, inflection and characterization of voice for broadcasting and radio
.Distinctive voice for broadcasting

Education and Experience

.Bachelor's degree in broadcasting, communication or journalism from recognized University/college; or equivalent combination of education and work experiene
.Advanced knowledge of Thoroughbred racing, preferably with experience at a major Thoroughbred racetrack
.ORC License
.Previous work experience as a sports broadcaster preferably in a Horse Racing environment

This job description indicates the general nature and level of work expected of the incumbent. It is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of all activities, duties or responsibilities required of the incumbent. Incumbent may be asked to perform other duties as required.

FrankieFigs
04-09-2015, 01:56 PM

But you used to make it sound so professional, Vic. I'm thinking about some of the guys I see at Ellis Park or Kentucky Downs.... :eek: :D

dilanesp
04-09-2015, 02:18 PM
Dodger Stadium, for years, had a week of amateur PA announcers. I had an acquaintance who did it, and it was a lot of fun. The team treated him like royalty.

But, of course, baseball PA is very easy. Horse racing PA is extremely hard (the only sport that is harder is track and field).

onefast99
04-09-2015, 02:49 PM
Another revenue stream for racetracks instead of paying to get your picture taken in the winners circle pay for a race call, or how about the call of the 7th is presented by Yum Brands at the mic is SRU an avid horse racing fan and poster on Pace Advantage lets all welcome him!

goatchaser
04-09-2015, 03:35 PM
When i was a kid into my 20's I use to try impersonate a radio race caller Bill Garr. Had a well known line as they came down the stretch...Under Hand, Boot and whip. Was sorry to hear today that he had passed away at the age of 98.
Also liked trying out Harry Henson and Joe Hernandez. I had albums of their Calls.

goatchaser
04-09-2015, 03:53 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkbsYGtDB3o

Stillriledup
04-09-2015, 03:53 PM
Another revenue stream for racetracks instead of paying to get your picture taken in the winners circle pay for a race call, or how about the call of the 7th is presented by Yum Brands at the mic is SRU an avid horse racing fan and poster on Pace Advantage lets all welcome him!

Thanks fast!

One thing i would do if i was a regular announcer is that i would always make it about the horse. I would never mention or refer to a jockey in my calls, it would just be horse calls, most announcers today call jockey racing, i'd love to hear a "pure" call without the incessant need to call jockeys names, some are worse than others, i wouldn't be one of those guys, with me you would get horse calls only.

v j stauffer
04-09-2015, 04:26 PM
Thanks fast!

One thing i would do if i was a regular announcer is that i would always make it about the horse. I would never mention or refer to a jockey in my calls, it would just be horse calls, most announcers today call jockey racing, i'd love to hear a "pure" call without the incessant need to call jockeys names, some are worse than others, i wouldn't be one of those guys, with me you would get horse calls only.

So if it was a quiet Thurs. and a jockey was going for this 4th or 5th. You would say nothing?

Stillriledup
04-09-2015, 04:33 PM
So if it was a quiet Thurs. and a jockey was going for this 4th or 5th. You would say nothing?

I would have to think about that part of the game, if a jockey was going for a huge milestone like 5k wins or if it was Baze or Laffit trying to break an all time record i'm thinking that i would relax my standard for those specific races, but the everyday stuff of just mentioning the jocks names wouldn't be in the calls.

Inner Dirt
04-09-2015, 04:38 PM
When i was a kid into my 20's I use to try impersonate a radio race caller Bill Garr. Had a well known line as they came down the stretch...Under Hand, Boot and whip. Was sorry to hear today that he had passed away at the age of 98.
Also liked trying out Harry Henson and Joe Hernandez. I had albums of their Calls.

I think I can do a good Harry Henson, I need to record it and see. Harry was calling races when I first started attending Hollywood park in 1979. I always wondered if Bill Garr was calling the races on Kiev on delay, he always made the calls exciting then you would hear "And Spectacular Bid wins by six lengths." I thought he said "Handle and whip" but I was usually listening over a 100 miles away on a 1940's vintage AM radio and KIEV had a weak signal.

goatchaser
04-09-2015, 06:22 PM
I think I can do a good Harry Henson, I need to record it and see. Harry was calling races when I first started attending Hollywood park in 1979. I always wondered if Bill Garr was calling the races on Kiev on delay, he always made the calls exciting then you would hear "And Spectacular Bid wins by six lengths." I thought he said "Handle and whip" but I was usually listening over a 100 miles away on a 1940's vintage AM radio and KIEV had a weak signal.
870 KIEV is right on. I lived in Los Angeles and always seemed to get a clear sound. Once about 10-15 miles away...then it started getting weak. And at Night...Forget it.

dilanesp
04-10-2015, 12:43 AM
Bill Garr, eh?

For those who didn't grow up as horse racing fans in the Southern California, you probably don't have any idea who he was. He was a local radio broadcaster who had a couple of sponsors (mostly local breeders, such as the Ollllllllllllld English Rancho of Bud Johnson) and had a time-buy horse racing show on a small station, KIEV 870, located in Glendale, a suburb of Los Angeles. Reception was spotty unless you lived in the San Fernando Valley, and the show probably had 200 listeners most days.

He had a talk show on Saturdays in which he interviewed racing personalities, and then he would call the feature race of the day, along with a 15 minute wrap up show after the card was over, which featured stretch calls of selected races.

He was very old-- he started doing this in his 50's and by the time I was listening to him regularly, he was pushing 70.

And his race calls were something special. First of all, his favorite expression, "under hand, boot, and whip", is one he stole from Joe Hernandez's famous call of the filly Silver Spoon winning the Santa Anita Derby. He found it so exciting he used it every time he could.

But that wasn't what made him special. What made him special is his utter incompetence in calling races. There would be long pauses during his call. Eventually, I realized that when he could identify a horse, he waited until the track announcer came back to that part of the field, and then called the horse.

Even better was his sound effect. You see, he didn't want you to know that he wasn't the real track announcer. So what he did was from the time he said the flag was up, he turned on an echo device, so it sounded like his call was echoing over the PA system at the track. It was soooooooooo hokey.

Eventually, he lost all his sponsors, either because they realized nobody was listening or because race wrap-ups became widely available on local television and later the Internet. And because he was really, really old.

May he rest in peace.

Inner Dirt
04-10-2015, 06:22 AM
Bill Garr, eh?

For those who didn't grow up as horse racing fans in the Southern California, you probably don't have any idea who he was. He was a local radio broadcaster who had a couple of sponsors (mostly local breeders, such as the Ollllllllllllld English Rancho of Bud Johnson) and had a time-buy horse racing show on a small station, KIEV 870, located in Glendale, a suburb of Los Angeles. Reception was spotty unless you lived in the San Fernando Valley, and the show probably had 200 listeners most days.

He had a talk show on Saturdays in which he interviewed racing personalities, and then he would call the feature race of the day, along with a 15 minute wrap up show after the card was over, which featured stretch calls of selected races.

He was very old-- he started doing this in his 50's and by the time I was listening to him regularly, he was pushing 70.

And his race calls were something special. First of all, his favorite expression, "under hand, boot, and whip", is one he stole from Joe Hernandez's famous call of the filly Silver Spoon winning the Santa Anita Derby. He found it so exciting he used it every time he could.

But that wasn't what made him special. What made him special is his utter incompetence in calling races. There would be long pauses during his call. Eventually, I realized that when he could identify a horse, he waited until the track announcer came back to that part of the field, and then called the horse.

Even better was his sound effect. You see, he didn't want you to know that he wasn't the real track announcer. So what he did was from the time he said the flag was up, he turned on an echo device, so it sounded like his call was echoing over the PA system at the track. It was soooooooooo hokey.

Eventually, he lost all his sponsors, either because they realized nobody was listening or because race wrap-ups became widely available on local television and later the Internet. And because he was really, really old.

May he rest in peace.

Would you have written that scathing revue 35 years ago? Bill Garr and the sports reports at 15 before and 15 after the hour on KNX 1070 was all we had. KNX would only give the call of the recent race. I use to advance wager and leave for work, it was either Bill Garr or the morning paper for results. It didn't seem too bad at the time.

TravisVOX
04-10-2015, 09:16 AM

It's just a matter of style/preference. I don't reference the jockey unless he/she does something unique such as a multiple win day or rides what I perceive to be a particularly good race. Other guys always announce the jockey which is fine too. There is quite a bit of "artistic style" in race calling.

dilanesp
04-10-2015, 11:23 AM
Would you have written that scathing revue 35 years ago? Bill Garr and the sports reports at 15 before and 15 after the hour on KNX 1070 was all we had. KNX would only give the call of the recent race. I use to advance wager and leave for work, it was either Bill Garr or the morning paper for results. It didn't seem too bad at the time.

35 years ago, I remember Jim Healy, another local broadcast legend, broadcast a scathing parody of Garr. So yeah, the man always had his critics....

goatchaser
04-10-2015, 11:39 AM
Look...I think we all know he was a little campy....But with out him we had no way of knowing who won the double that we sent out with friends or had played with your local bookie. Back then it was 2.00 doubles and 5.00 exactas only. No exotics back then. I read his sister was a Racing Secretary at Santa Anita back then. That may have been his in calling the races on radio.

Canarsie
04-11-2015, 10:34 AM

I'm going to put you and any others in detective mode.

Why can't I be a track announcer? Hopefully I didn't post the answer previously have a hard time remembering.

Inner Dirt
04-13-2015, 09:00 AM
35 years ago, I remember Jim Healy, another local broadcast legend, broadcast a scathing parody of Garr. So yeah, the man always had his critics....

I never said Bill Garr was great and I found Jim Healy's bad humor and constant playing of sound bites unbearable.

thespaah
04-13-2015, 10:44 PM

I'm BACK baby :cool: :lol:
Yer a real piece of work...
I can only imagine you cooling out an irate basketball coach with your wit...

thespaah
04-13-2015, 10:52 PM
:lol: :jump: :ThmbUp:

thespaah
04-13-2015, 10:56 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkbsYGtDB3o
Ahh. so many scenes from Seinfeld can be applied to every day life.

thespaah
04-13-2015, 11:01 PM
Thanks fast!

Well that's a matter of personal preference.
My perception of any announcer is to "tell the story" or "paint the word picture"..
If the time to mention the name of the rider is appropriate, the announcer should do so....

Stillriledup
04-13-2015, 11:16 PM
Well that's a matter of personal preference.
My perception of any announcer is to "tell the story" or "paint the word picture"..
If the time to mention the name of the rider is appropriate, the announcer should do so....

Travis mentions this in post 24 here, i could respect an announcer who calls a jock on a special occasion like a milestone or if a jock wins a race with a deft ride, but just to call the jocks name as part of the call is not something i would get in the habit of doing, some announcers are really bad at this, you hear multiple jockey references every race, that's just too much imo.

dilanesp
04-14-2015, 07:16 PM
I think racing fans care too much about announcers. (But then, I think sports fans in general do too.)

The basic thing you have to remember is that when this sport was really, really popular, in the 1930's through the 1970's, most announcers were EXTREMELY basic, just the facts types. All those amazing New York races attended by 50,000 people, and featuring horses such as Kelso and Tom Fool and Buckpasser and Damascus, were called by Fred Capossela. By modern standards, people would surely call him boring. But somehow, far more people managed to be fans of horse racing with him calling the races, and with Joe Hernandez and Harry Henson/Hal Moore in Southern California, than is the case now with the more descriptive announcers we have.

The other thing you have to remember is that the track announcer's actual during the race function is different than you might imagine. Recording an amazing call for posterity isn't really the point. Rather, there are people at the track and at simulcast facilities who need the announcer's help right now.

And what do they need? Identification of the horses. That's really it. If you were busy betting and can't get back to your seat, you need to know who the animals are on that television screen. If you are coming out of the bathroom at the track or are in the paddock and there is no video monitor nearby, you need an accurate description of the position of the horses.

I can enjoy a Trevor Denman or Vic Stauffer call (honestly, somewhat more than a Tom Durkin one) where he really adds a ton of color to the race, but that isn't, at bottom, why we have track announcers. We have them to assist the fans. A basic, bread and butter, boring but accurate call is actually fine.

The only thing that should get an announcer fired is consistent accuracy problems.

thespaah
04-14-2015, 09:25 PM
Travis mentions this in post 24 here, i could respect an announcer who calls a jock on a special occasion like a milestone or if a jock wins a race with a deft ride, but just to call the jocks name as part of the call is not something i would get in the habit of doing, some announcers are really bad at this, you hear multiple jockey references every race, that's just too much imo.
Is that what you garnered from my post?
That I agree with splashing calls with the names of jocks all the time?

Stillriledup
04-14-2015, 09:37 PM
Is that what you garnered from my post?
That I agree with splashing calls with the names of jocks all the time?

I don't understand what you mean. Seems like we agree, no?

Maximillion
04-14-2015, 09:43 PM
I agree that the calls should be almost always about the horse,but as long as it doesent detract from the race itself...i have no problem with an announcer mentioning jocks riding a suberb race/5 wins etc.
Sometimes i think some horses deserve a little mention,and im not talking necessarily about stakes horses......Wise Awake recently ran at Aqu- and had the race been at FL, im sure Tony Calo would have thrown in a "30 time winner" at some point during the call....sometimes little touches like this add to a race imo.