PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations: Replacing Chrome

Dave Schwartz
04-08-2015, 06:43 PM
Okay, so after my 4th Google Chrome lockup of the day, I have had enough.

I am looking for suggestions.

But, please... before you just say, "I love Firefox," I am looking for functionality very similar to what I have with Chrome. Specifically...

1. Favorites saved and updated automatically across any machine I log into.

2. Saves my name, address, telephone, etc. across any machine I log into (for filling out forms).

3. Ability to close tabs to the right with a single click.

Does anyone know of a browser that will do all of these things?

Dave

JustRalph
06-15-2015, 06:50 PM
Dave

They say they are aware and will be fixing it

http://gizmodo.com/googles-masterplan-to-make-chrome-suck-less-1711313748?utm_campaign=socialflow_gizmodo_twitter&utm_source=gizmodo_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

I hope so.....

whodoyoulike
06-15-2015, 10:16 PM
I hope they also return to the old way to saving links to favorites.

Anyone else finding this new change an inconvenience?

Any suggestions?

Steve 'StatMan'
06-15-2015, 10:25 PM
Glad they're seeing the problem. Gotten so bad that, for my work on my old Vista system, I've had to use Safe Mode With Networking to be productive again, but there are of course some trade-offs I'm dealing with.

Dave Schwartz
06-15-2015, 11:17 PM
Ralph, memory usage actually isn't my problem.

Actually, there are two problems.

One is when Chrome puts up a message saying, "Oops. Chrome has crashed. Relaunch now?"

The second is when Windows says, "The program has stopped working."

These usually happen when changing tabs, or loading a new page while another tab is still loading. (Hey, it is what we do in this age.)

Anyway, these crashes are about 10-15 every day. Sometimes back-to-back. Never seen 3-in-a-row.

I actually, swapped a computer from my studio about 2 months ago. Same thing on the newer machine.

Interesting link from that link (http://lifehacker.com/why-chrome-uses-so-much-freaking-ram-1702537477/1706076873)

tucker6
06-16-2015, 06:18 AM
Ralph, memory usage actually isn't my problem.

Actually, there are two problems.

One is when Chrome puts up a message saying, "Oops. Chrome has crashed. Relaunch now?"

The second is when Windows says, "The program has stopped working."

These usually happen when changing tabs, or loading a new page while another tab is still loading. (Hey, it is what we do in this age.)

Anyway, these crashes are about 10-15 every day. Sometimes back-to-back. Never seen 3-in-a-row.

I actually, swapped a computer from my studio about 2 months ago. Same thing on the newer machine.

Interesting link from that link (http://lifehacker.com/why-chrome-uses-so-much-freaking-ram-1702537477/1706076873)
I have chrome now for over a year and have never had one crash as you described. Never. It must be something on your end. Internet connection, memory, etc. Can't believe one person has such problems and the next guy doesn't.

sammy the sage
06-16-2015, 07:50 AM
I have chrome now for over a year and have never had one crash as you described. Never. It must be something on your end. Internet connection, memory, etc. Can't believe one person has such problems and the next guy doesn't.

agree w/this...a "bug" of some kind has gotten into operating system...my guess...

DJofSD
06-16-2015, 09:11 AM

But, please... before you just say, "I love Firefox," I am looking for functionality very similar to what I have with Chrome. Specifically...

2. Saves my name, address, telephone, etc. across any machine I log into (for filling out forms).

Dave
Sounds like FireFox Sync to me.

Augenj
06-16-2015, 09:53 AM
Dave, it sounds like a corrupted Registry to me. I've used Chrome for years without any issues like this. Have you tried to clean up the Registry with CCleaner or its equivalent yet?

Dave Schwartz
06-16-2015, 10:49 AM
Yes, have cleaned the registry.

I have seen this problem on every machine I use (4 of them) except the Win8.1 laptop and an old XP machine that never crashes.

Marshall Bennett
06-16-2015, 12:16 PM
Why did Chrome quit supporting Java usage?

Dave Schwartz
06-16-2015, 12:24 PM
Because Java quit supporting Java usage?

(Sort of.)

upthecreek
06-16-2015, 12:27 PM

Dave

Some say Slim browser is very good???
http://www.slimbrowser.net/en/compare-browser.php

Dave Schwartz
06-16-2015, 01:48 PM
The thing that has kept me at Chrome is the cross-computer data storage. That more than anything seems to be a Chrome-only thing.

PS: Looked at SlimBrowser.

Apparently the only guys that think it is best are the people who produce it.

"Much better"
by: Mike
SlimBrowser 7.00.118

2015-04-24
Pros:
It has everything I need, is pretty quick. Leaves Firefox for dead in regard to resource usage and speed. Noticed it is resource friendly when playing video content etc. Much more so than Firefox.

Cons:
Still has a problem loading pages from some websites.

Other Thoughts:
I tried this browser a while back and it was pretty average to say the least. Since then it has improved noticeably. A few more tweaks and it will definitely be the best browser on the block.

PaceAdvantage
06-16-2015, 01:57 PM
I rarely have Chrome crash on me...and I use it every day both at home and at work...on Windows 7 and 8.1...

Augenj
06-16-2015, 02:02 PM
Yes, have cleaned the registry.

I have seen this problem on every machine I use (4 of them) except the Win8.1 laptop and an old XP machine that never crashes.
Do you have any Chrome extensions enabled? Have you tried Chrome with a "naked" system with no other tasks running other than the required Windows and hardware ones?

Augenj
06-16-2015, 02:12 PM
I'm assuming you've removed Chrome through the Control Panel, downloaded it with another browser, and reinstalled it?

upthecreek
06-16-2015, 02:16 PM
The thing that has kept me at Chrome is the cross-computer data storage. That more than anything seems to be a Chrome-only thing.

PS: Looked at SlimBrowser.

Apparently the only guys that think it is best are the people who produce it.

Sorry I brought it up!! Lol

Dave Schwartz
06-16-2015, 02:26 PM
No, no!

I appreciate the effort.

parlay
07-01-2015, 11:32 AM
Wonder if anyone can help me get Java running on Chrome. They say you can by making an exception. I went through all the steps(i think) and it will not run

JustRalph
07-01-2015, 11:51 AM
I have been having lots of problems with chrome on my Vista machine.

After getting tired of another app that was screwed up on Vista, I re-imaged my machine back to Factory install. Put chrome on right away and it runs fantastic again...........

I don't really think it was chrome that was screwed up

Flysofree
07-02-2015, 03:42 PM
I don't mean to intrude here, but with Windows 10 coming out shortly, have read where it have a different browser. If you are going to switch to Window 10 this month or later, may want to see how it compares. I'm sure their techs have looked at Google, the competitor's Chrome version...

Dave Schwartz
07-02-2015, 03:51 PM
Ralph,

I have the Chrome issues on 2 of the 3 machines I use, both problems on Win7.

JustRalph
07-02-2015, 06:00 PM
Ralph,

I have the Chrome issues on 2 of the 3 machines I use, both problems on Win7.

Google is turning it into a monster. Mine went south when I installed some extensions for my security cams. I stay away from extensions usually, they are the weak link in Google's developer network.

If you have any, I recommend removing them. complete uninstall of chrome and reinstall

Dave Schwartz
07-02-2015, 06:26 PM
I have done that multiple times. The Chrome people suggest creating a new profile. Of course, the one thing that keeps my at Chrome is that there is so much in my profile. If I kill that and lose the 100's of links, etc. I would begin trying other browsers immediately.

Oddly, I have not had a Chrome crash in about... dare I say it? 3 days. This has not occurred in maybe 6 months.

Of course, I expect that I'll now have 3 crashes by 4pm (pacific).

JustRalph
07-02-2015, 06:42 PM
yep, i feel your pain. It is so nice to go from machine to machine, and have your chrome profile follow you. especially when you have about 7

Tom
07-02-2015, 09:29 PM
I keep finding new add ons, or plug ins, of piss offs, whatever you call them every day. I got on the web yesterday and when Chrome powered up, there were 9 versions of it running. 7 of them were crap I never added.

And I cannot use Flash with Chrome at all - it just bogs down the whole computer.

The svchost keeps popping up and using 100% of my resources until I shut it down manually.