PDA

View Full Version : Frosted backers can breathe easier

Grits
04-08-2015, 03:07 PM
From DRF's Dan Illman.

http://www.drf.com/blogs/frosted-fans-breathe-easier

Under hands and heels urging, Frosted collared Tencendur and pulled away in the final sixteenth without feeling the sting of Rosario's whip. Frosted completed his last three-eighths in 36.55, ran the final furlong in 12.47, finished the 1 1/8 miles in 1:50.31 and received a career-best 103 Beyer Speed Figure.

SecretAgentMan
04-08-2015, 04:01 PM
I really like Frosted, but I was thinking if his Wood race was a fluke or not? They did a minor throat surgery, & I asked a local horse trainer about the surgery, asking him.if that surgery really helps, & he said it helps a lot......

After reading the above link, the trainer didn't know if the whipping possibly caused him to stop in the FOY, but I doubt it, & I'm.sure they tried the whip in workouts to see if it bothered him.......I'm inclined to think it was his breathing, & trying to run on a sandy, deep & dull racetrack like GP had to be brutal for Frosted.

I mean, Materiality & Upstart were having problems with the track, bringing in big beyers but slow times.

Frosted is a live play come May 2nd.......

letswastemoney
04-08-2015, 05:14 PM
Itsaknockout and Upstart were simply much better opponents that Frosted faced than El Kabeir.

El Kabeir has been wildly overrated because of his inner dirt wins, when he never defeated any notable horses.

Tencendur only improved with more aggressive tactics in the Wood, but other than him and Far From Over, El Kabeir's competition was dreadful.

ArlJim78
04-08-2015, 06:15 PM
Frosted is for sure a live horse, his Wood was no fluke.
When he stopped cold in the FOY you can see his head bobble just a bit and simultaneously his stride shortened dramatically. He was on his way to an easy win over Upstart when that happened. I think something happened to his breathing right at that instant. It was too sudden to be fatigue related.

Tall One
04-08-2015, 06:43 PM
He was really lathered up in the FOY as well, Jim; even more so than you'd see from the normal Miami heat. McLaughlin is too good a horseman not to figure out the problem and get him back 100%. Like I mentioned in another thread, horse ran a helluva race. Wide most of the way.

SecretAgentMan
04-08-2015, 06:51 PM
Frosted is for sure a live horse, his Wood was no fluke.
When he stopped cold in the FOY you can see his head bobble just a bit and simultaneously his stride shortened dramatically. He was on his way to an easy win over Upstart when that happened. I think something happened to his breathing right at that instant. It was too sudden to be fatigue related.

I agree he would have beaten Upstart & KO in the FOY......also, the final time might have been 2 seconds faster.......I also agree that it wasn't just getting fatigued & have him stop abruptly. Let's hope the trainer has all the problems figured out.

f2tornado
04-08-2015, 07:46 PM
When I asked my wife what horse she liked for one of the Future wagers she selected Frosted. She knows nothing about horses but the last time she picked a horse it was Charismatic. I originally commented that no winners were coming from the Wood but upon a second look combined with the much discussed complications in the FOY suggested the horse needed an in depth look. Frosted does not fit all my angles but fits enough of them to use him on top along with others come Derby day. I especially liked his closing speed with the caveat he was almost three seconds slower than Dortmund at 6F (ignoring track variants). He did finish within about 1.5 seconds of Dortmund's final SAD time (which was a perfect trip for that colt) despite running well wide. An extra half would likely narrow that down some more. The only thing I don't like about this one is Tapit but Chrome won last year with that Pulpit line so can't toss. Possible live one at a decent price for sure.

Robert Fischer
04-09-2015, 02:10 PM
Frosted is a good horse to have an opinion on. (aren't they all?)

Was his Wood a result of refined tactics, and getting his health straightened out with a much-needed procedure? Or was his performance more a barometer of the class he had been facing?

Frosted is a horse who ran a game race from a wide post in the Remsen indicating that he had classic-distance stamina.
His Fountain of Youth Stakes featured a hot mid-late pace development, and he visually appeared to labor entering the stretch in a way typical of a flipped palate or breathing issue.

Forming up Frosted is something that remains a topic of debate, and it's not surprising we have people who want to key him and people who want to toss him, come the Derby.

nads1420
04-09-2015, 02:24 PM
im not a big fan of his name.. as idiotic as that sounds... but 'Frosted' nothing fun about that :bang: