PDA

View Full Version : Mr. Z going in the Arkansas Derby?

menifee
04-07-2015, 08:16 PM
Every time I think D. Wayne can't surprise me, he does it again. Unreal.

letswastemoney
04-07-2015, 08:34 PM
Putting the blinkers on may help.

Bennie
04-07-2015, 08:39 PM
Had them on before and it didn't help. Just took the off last race to see if that helped but no avail. Will add a little pace to the race but just hope he doesn't make another WIDE sweeping move at the top of the stretch and screw someone else up. I think Lukas needs to call the Horse Whisperer and get inside this one head.

Tall One
04-07-2015, 08:48 PM

I believe I read something earlier it was the owner's call, but that aside, you're going to wheel him back after that LA Derby performance? Horse is screaming please stop, but they keep pushing the buttons.

I'm afraid to even watch this one.. :confused:

f2tornado
04-07-2015, 08:51 PM
Little about this horse's PPs suggests he can handle 9F against this competition. Good enough horse to get some points here if the LA Derby was an aberration. I like the potential entry as he would give AP something to run at. No 49 seconds half mile like in the Rebel. Might actually be able tell tell if AP can handle a decent pace, albeit a potential one horse version. Might get a decent read on Far Right this race too. Also a few other horses here that have my interest. Should be a good race to watch even if AP romps.

horses4courses
04-07-2015, 08:53 PM
I'm done second guessing The Coach.

I thought this horse was damaged goods months back,
and he came back strong. He's unlikely to hit the board
on Saturday, but who knows?

Ran bad last time, but taking off the blinkers may have caused it.

MJC922
04-07-2015, 09:02 PM

The surprise is when he stops on them. Unless there's an injury that isn't happening.

letswastemoney
04-07-2015, 09:19 PM
Mr. Z still has hit the board...I think 8 out of 11 tries. That's a pretty good percentage.

boys at tosconova
04-07-2015, 09:22 PM
ocho bounced back to finish 3rd after a very poor race. losing by 22L seems out of place, w/o something else that happened

outofthebox
04-07-2015, 10:08 PM
Can't believe the Zayats would be crazy enough to run Mr. Z with AP. Makes no sense. Both have the same style. Might enter both in case one comes up with a last minute problem. Who knows?

PaceMasterT
04-07-2015, 11:05 PM
Can't believe the Zayats would be crazy enough to run Mr. Z with AP. Makes no sense. Both have the same style. Might enter both in case one comes up with a last minute problem. Who knows?

I believe I read something about the son saying he is nominated, that doesn't mean he will run.

Tall One
04-08-2015, 09:35 AM
I believe I read something about the son saying he is nominated, that doesn't mean he will run.

TDN reporting this morning he's a go.

Snip: "This horse still has more to prove", said Zayat. "He's gone backwards a little since Los Al, but he's a healthy, sound horse, who's working well and doing everything right."

sammy the sage
04-08-2015, 09:20 PM
can you say "rabbit"....

Bennie
04-08-2015, 10:25 PM
Maybe they want to give American pharaoh a target and try to rate him a little to see how he reacts. last chance before the Derby and they don't need the points should thing not work out. Who knows what is in their head?

PaceAdvantage
04-09-2015, 12:28 AM
Every time I think D. Wayne can't surprise me, he does it again. Unreal.I'll tell you what. When you train two Kentucky Derby winners, three Preakness winners, two Belmont Stakes winners, and TEN Breeders' Cup race winners, then I'll respect your criticism of D. Wayne Lukas.

Oh, and by the way, the goal I have set for you represents only HALF the number of winners Lukas has in each category.

ronsmac
04-09-2015, 01:17 AM
As many races he's won and awards he's garnered. He's still the same trainer who ran Azeri in the Breeders Cup Classic when nothing suggested she could beat that field.

menifee
04-09-2015, 02:36 AM
I'll tell you what. When you train two Kentucky Derby winners, three Preakness winners, two Belmont Stakes winners, and TEN Breeders' Cup race winners, then I'll respect your criticism of D. Wayne Lukas.

Oh, and by the way, the goal I have set for you represents only HALF the number of winners Lukas has in each category.

I could care less about you respecting my criticism. Thanks. By the way, I'm not a horse trainer.

cj
04-09-2015, 09:41 AM
As many races he's won and awards he's garnered. He's still the same trainer who ran Azeri in the Breeders Cup Classic when nothing suggested she could beat that field.

How many big races has he won with horses that had PPs suggesting similar? I can remember several.

BlueChip@DRF
04-09-2015, 09:45 AM
He's a freaking monkey wrench. Look at what he did with Take Charge Brandi last year leading up to the BC.

PaceAdvantage
04-09-2015, 11:16 AM
I could care less about you respecting my criticism. Thanks. By the way, I'm not a horse trainer.That's a good thing if you COULD care LESS...lol

Robert Fischer
04-09-2015, 11:22 AM
Mr. Z has that problem with lugging out on the turn and stretch. The main thing is determining whether it's an injury or just a flaw that's going to be with this horse. If it's not a serious injury, - run him, figure him out, give American Pharoah a target here.

He's had some good races.

Breeders Cup Juvenile - I had him in the top 3 performances.
Delta Jackpot - I had him a much-the-best 2nd. (meaning he performed better than the winner).
LA Futurity - Too flawed to judge, bad effort. He ran well vs. two G1 horses, but he was fortunate that Mike Smith used Firing Line as a buffer in a heads-up piece of riding. He looked completely finished as a stakes horse.
Smarty Jones - in an expected extension of the LAFUT., he blew up again in a bad effort.
Southwest Stakes - Complete surprise, he turned it around and unexpectedly put in the best performance of the Southwest.
Louisiana Derby - blew up again in a horrible flawed performance.

He's earned half a million, he's been the top performer in some decent races, but he often finishes worse than his performance level. It's more than going against a hot pace - he creates some of his own pace issues, and has a physical flaw where he lugs out.

SecretAgentMan
04-09-2015, 12:04 PM
Mr. Z has that problem with lugging out on the turn and stretch. The main thing is determining whether it's an injury or just a flaw that's going to be with this horse. If it's not a serious injury, - run him, figure him out, give American Pharoah a target here.

Delta Jackpot - I had him a much-the-best 2nd. (meaning he performed better than the winner).
LA Futurity - Too flawed to judge, bad effort. He ran well vs. two G1 horses, but he was fortunate that Mike Smith used Firing Line as a buffer in a heads-up piece of riding. He looked completely finished as a stakes horse.
Smarty Jones - in an expected extension of the LAFUT., he blew up again in a bad effort.
Southwest Stakes - Complete surprise, he turned it around and unexpectedly put in the best performance of the Southwest.

He's earned half a million, he's been the top performer in some decent races, but he often finishes worse than his performance level. It's more than going against a hot pace - he creates some of his own pace issues, and has a physical flaw where he lugs out.

Rob, doesn't Mr Z seem better inclined to race at 1 mile.he seems to hit a brick wall down the stretch. He's been in 1st place several times only to give it up.

I think hes better fit for 7f to 1 mile races. I hope he's sent out as a rabbit for AP to have a target. Would really like to see AP rate.

Stoleitbreezing
04-09-2015, 01:27 PM
Mr. Z is a talented horse, but is clearly a cut below the best this derby season. I don't need to see anymore of Mr. Z as he's already had nearly a dozen starts and is still eligible for the N2L condition. I believe him to be a G3 miler type. Easy toss in the derby for me. He'll probably get 3rd this weekend when the blinks get put back on to make the gate.

SecretAgentMan
04-09-2015, 05:41 PM
Look at the point standings, I believe Mr Z will be a 2nd place to get into the derby with 54 points.......a 3rd & he's stuck with 34 points & outside looking in on the bubble.