PDA

View Full Version : Harrison-Kaminsky

magwell
04-06-2015, 11:56 AM
How does anyone think this would play out if the slur went the other way around ?

rastajenk
04-06-2015, 12:39 PM
Big Frank would be sitting this one out tonight, for sure.

cj
04-06-2015, 01:10 PM

If Kentucky had a game, so would Harrison, no?

rastajenk
04-06-2015, 04:38 PM
I doubt it.

cj
04-06-2015, 04:59 PM
I think it was worse that they ran off the court without shaking hands of the Wisconsin players, kind of reflects the coach in my opinion.

magwell
04-06-2015, 06:31 PM
I think it was worse that they ran off the court without shaking hands of the Wisconsin players, kind of reflects the coach in my opinion.Wow, so in your opinion it's worse that the players didn't shake hands after the game, than a racial slur on national TV by one of the Kentucky players against a Wisconsin player ?

MutuelClerk
04-06-2015, 06:42 PM
I don't think younger people saw it as a slur. I don't believe it was intended as a slur. Personally I see it as a slur. It's a word that should be abolished no matter how you spell it. But I'm old and these are different times.

Tall One
04-06-2015, 08:39 PM
I think it was worse that they ran off the court without shaking hands of the Wisconsin players, kind of reflects the coach in my opinion.

Notre Dame loses, doesn't shake UK's hands: "What competitors!"

UK loses, doesn't shake Wisconsin's hands: "What bad sports!"

Grits
04-06-2015, 09:14 PM
The eagle flying over the arena during the National Anthem was incredible!!

Good luck to both teams. To Duke and to Wisconsin.

Play hard...

And officials do your best work in this championship game.

Stillriledup
04-06-2015, 10:18 PM

This is tricky because if you suspend that guy or the other guy (had Ky won) than you really punish everyone else too. Why punish the teammates, coaches, fans, etc for what that guy said? If you let him play and punish him in some other fashion, other people don't get hurt. If he misses the game, you can alter the course of history over something that could have been handled in house.....much like horse racing DQs. Horse racing punishes the fans who have the winner instead of just keeping the infraction in house.

CJ might be right that either guy would be punished equally, however, the backlash from society would be drastically different.

rastajenk
04-07-2015, 07:50 AM
And officials do your best work in this championship game.
I don't think it was their finest moment. I wouldn't claim that they absolutely affected the outcome, but there were glaring inconsistencies that in a close game, well, you never really know about momentum swings and personnel decisions and other less tangible results. The Kentucky game Saturday was marred by less-than-good officiating, too.

Inner Dirt
04-07-2015, 09:20 AM
If it is the other way around Al Sharpton holds a protest outside the the stadium saying Frank should be suspended from the final, attend racial sensitivity classes and donate his first year NBA salary to the NAACP.
Pretty sure Obama and Holder would chime in also saying the event has sullied the final four. What I found strange I never found out what he actually said. If it was the other way around it would be spelled out all over the place.

cj
04-07-2015, 10:26 AM
Wow, so in your opinion it's worse that the players didn't shake hands after the game, than a racial slur on national TV by one of the Kentucky players against a Wisconsin player ?

Like it or not, when a black person uses the word, it isn't really a racial slur.

cj
04-07-2015, 10:29 AM
I don't think it was their finest moment. I wouldn't claim that they absolutely affected the outcome, but there were glaring inconsistencies that in a close game, well, you never really know about momentum swings and personnel decisions and other less tangible results. The Kentucky game Saturday was marred by less-than-good officiating, too.

There were plenty of bad calls both ways. Basketball is an extremely difficult sport to officiate. The players are so fast, so big, and they play to draw fouls and embellish everything.

magwell
04-07-2015, 12:57 PM
Like it or not, when a black person uses the word, it isn't really a racial slur.Then he didn't have to apologize.........;)

Robert Fischer
04-07-2015, 12:59 PM
If we, the masses, were capable of rational thinking, we'd be able to judge words on the basis of their context.

Contextually speaking, Harrison's comments were not a 'racial slur', but were technically a 'slur'. Not for using the word '******', but because the entire outburst was a 'vulgar slight'.

Our society's inability to contextualize words, and our need to form politically correct control and censorship over word-usage is the foundation for the humor behind George Carlin's Seven Dirty Words (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_dirty_words) act.

Grits
04-07-2015, 02:11 PM
Robert, its good to see you back posting. We were concerned, knowing you have health problems. Hope you are doing better. <3

Aside from these real rough, naturally vulgar pearls that Carlin gave us to comprise this important act, there is what I lovingly call his most "profoundly accurate" uncut diamonds. They read like this...

Women are crazy.
Men are stupid.
Women are crazy because men are stupid. -- George Carlin

Now. We all know that on any given moment, hour, or day, these three lines are gospel .... Except for those of us the wiser who know roles can be reversed. ;)

If we, the masses, were capable of rational thinking, we'd be able to judge words on the basis of their context.

Contextually speaking, Harrison's comments were not a 'racial slur', but were technically a 'slur'. Not for using the word '******', but because the entire outburst was a 'vulgar slight'.

Our society's inability to contextualize words, and our need to form politically correct control and censorship over word-usage is the foundation for the humor behind George Carlin's Seven Dirty Words (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_dirty_words) act.

Robert Fischer
04-07-2015, 02:56 PM
Thanks Grits, I am doing well. Heart surgery on June 1st.

Grits
04-07-2015, 03:04 PM
Thanks Grits, I am doing well. Heart surgery on June 1st.

With my son and Duke cardiology, we're all too familiar with heart surgery. Will be thinking about you, and remembering you in my prayers. ;)

cj
04-07-2015, 03:38 PM
Then he didn't have to apologize.........;)

I'm sure someone told him otherwise. I personally don't think it is a big deal. Maybe that is from growing up in the inner city of Baltimore, I'm pretty immune to the word to be honest. That doesn't make it right. I would never use it personally. I just know it is different when coming from a person of color.

magwell
04-07-2015, 04:18 PM
I'm sure someone told him otherwise. I personally don't think it is a big deal. Maybe that is from growing up in the inner city of Baltimore, I'm pretty immune to the word to be honest. That doesn't make it right. I would never use it personally. I just know it is different when coming from a person of color.I understand what your saying and agree.........

Inner Dirt
04-07-2015, 05:59 PM
I'm sure someone told him otherwise. I personally don't think it is a big deal. Maybe that is from growing up in the inner city of Baltimore, I'm pretty immune to the word to be honest. That doesn't make it right. I would never use it personally. I just know it is different when coming from a person of color.

Minorities get a free pass in this country, when will that stop? Look at our president a lot of people praise him like he is top 10, when if you look at the results he is a bottom feeder.

cj
04-07-2015, 06:04 PM
Minorities get a free pass in this country, when will that stop? Look at our president a lot of people praise him like he is top 10, when if you look at the results he is a bottom feeder.

I personally don't think minorities get a free pass, but I'm really not going to discuss more than that on a horse racing forum. I stay out of off topics for a reason (other than sports.)

Inner Dirt
04-09-2015, 10:34 AM
I personally don't think minorities get a free pass, but I'm really not going to discuss more than that on a horse racing forum. I stay out of off topics for a reason (other than sports.)

Probably free pass was a poor choice of words. Liberals in this country hold them to a much lower standard and love to play the race card when someone gives a minority a low rating at anything. Also there is a habit of sensationalizing accomplishments of the non whites in this country. When it all shakes out down the road Obama would be lucky to be rated an average president, yet all the liberals I know rave about him like he cured cancer. Another example on a football forum I don't visit anymore anyone bashing Colin Kaepernick's play on the field or his behavior off of it get accused of being racist. This website is based in SF the liberal capitol of the world.
Most members rave about how wonderful Kap is and blame the failing's of the 30th ranked passing attack on everyone but him. The guy's average passer rating was 23rd last year he is below average yet the average fan in there acts like he is a Hall of Famer. If he is a white guy everyone would bash him.