PDA

View Full Version : Firing Line

nads1420
04-05-2015, 09:01 AM
Dortmund looked really good yesterday. Considering how Firing Line ran neck and neck with him in the Robert B Lewis combined with the fact of how dominate Firing Line looked in the Sunland Derby he should be an interesting sleeper choice for the Derby.

Fort Erie Fanatic
04-05-2015, 03:20 PM
I hope so. I got him at 35-1 on a futures bet. Very happy with this bet going into the Derby.

BlueChip@DRF
04-05-2015, 03:26 PM
How well does the Storm Cat line fare in the Derby?

f2tornado
04-05-2015, 04:21 PM
How well does the Storm Cat line fare in the Derby?

0-44 if I'm not mistaken. That's what get's me worried about Carpe Diem. Hard to bet on a jinx like that. Almost as bad as the Apollo curse. Might end up being a no bet race for me.

SecretAgentMan
04-05-2015, 04:55 PM
I think Firing Line would have beat Dortmund in the SA derby if he raced against him.......with that said, I don't think Firing Line or Dortmund will win the KD

nads1420
04-05-2015, 06:42 PM
I think Firing Line would have beat Dortmund in the SA derby if he raced against him.......with that said, I don't think Firing Line or Dortmund will win the KD

Wow did not know that about Storm Cat 0-44 jeez. I love Carpe Diem too... So hard to decide who my key is... Interested to see American Pharaoh next week..

BlueChip@DRF
04-05-2015, 07:10 PM
0-44 if I'm not mistaken. That's what get's me worried about Carpe Diem. Hard to bet on a jinx like that. Almost as bad as the Apollo curse. Might end up being a no bet race for me.

It seems open to me too. I will probably stick to the Pick-4.

OCF
04-05-2015, 08:03 PM
I hope so. I got him at 35-1 on a futures bet. Very happy with this bet going into the Derby.

Congrats, I would be too.

That Sunland Derby was impressive, the hot pace with the fast final 1/8th when he wasn't being pressed and was under only a little urging. Stevens may have him figured out.

He was back on the track last week with a respectable 48.00 4 furlong workout. I'd guess he came out of the last race healthy.

zico20
04-05-2015, 11:06 PM

Disagree completely. If Firing Line couldn't beat him at a mile 1/16th he sure wasn't going to beat him at a mile 1/8th. The further the distance the better Dortmund will be. He can run all day and not get tired. Dortmund has not even remotely hit his peak or maturity yet. That will come in the Belmont, just like Risen Star and Point Given.

SecretAgentMan
04-05-2015, 11:28 PM
Disagree completely. If Firing Line couldn't beat him at a mile 1/16th he sure wasn't going to beat him at a mile 1/8th. The further the distanceChrome in the etter Dortmund will be. He can run all day and not get tired. Dortmund has not even remotely hit his peak or maturity yet. That will come in the Belmont, just like Risen Star and Point Given.

I agree with Dortmund winning the Belmont stakes.....the only horse that I thought was a better horse for the Belmont is out with an injury, Far from Over.

Firing Line lost twice to Dortmund.....by a neck & a head. Dortmund didn't have any worthwhile challengers in the SA derby, & he ran 1 second slower than Cali Chrome in his final time.

Dortmund is a good horse but he won't be smelling theroses on May 2nd.

taxicab
04-05-2015, 11:43 PM
This is what spooks me off Firing Line.
He's on the Vet's list.
No bueno.... :eek:

http://live.drf.com/nuggets/11626

http://www.chrb.ca.gov/misc_docs/VetList.pdf {Drop down to page 52}.

zico20
04-05-2015, 11:50 PM
I agree with Dortmund winning the Belmont stakes.....the only horse that I thought was a better horse for the Belmont is out with an injury, Far from Over.

Firing Line lost twice to Dortmund.....by a neck & a head. Dortmund didn't have any worthwhile challengers in the SA derby, & he ran 1 second slower than Cali Chrome in his final time.

Dortmund is a good horse but he won't be smelling theroses on May 2nd.

There is only two horses that can win the triple crown this year if Dortmund stays healthy. That is Dortmund and American Pharaoh. Why American Pharaoh? Simple, if he wins the first two legs Dortmund will come down with a mysterious illness before the Belmont. No way Baffert runs Dortmund in the Belmont if American Pharaoh has a chance to win the triple crown.

Nobody can beat Dortmund in the Belmont. He will win by at least a dozen lengths. Dortmund is so far behind in his development right now compared to the other top horses. Baffert made the right move by running him three times this year.

If you are trying to make the most money on Dortmund in the triple crown races then this is the ideal scenario. Carpe Diem wins the first two legs and goes off the even money favorite in the Belmont and Dortmund goes off 2-1 or so. I personally would feel a whole lot more comfortable putting 2000 grand on him in the Belmont at 2-1 rather than 2000 in the Derby at 4-1. If Dortmund wins the Derby he goes off at 1-2 in the final two races. The Derby is such a crap shoot that I could never put a ton of money on any horse to win.

Why did I say 2000 grand. That was the most I have ever bet on a horse to win. It was Risen Star in the Belmont.

SecretAgentMan
04-06-2015, 12:00 AM
We will see 3 different horses win the 3 triple crown races this year.......

raybo
04-06-2015, 12:25 AM
There is only two horses that can win the triple crown this year if Dortmund stays healthy. That is Dortmund and American Pharaoh. Why American Pharaoh? Simple, if he wins the first two legs Dortmund will come down with a mysterious illness before the Belmont. No way Baffert runs Dortmund in the Belmont if American Pharaoh has a chance to win the triple crown.

Nobody can beat Dortmund in the Belmont. He will win by at least a dozen lengths. Dortmund is so far behind in his development right now compared to the other top horses. Baffert made the right move by running him three times this year.

If you are trying to make the most money on Dortmund in the triple crown races then this is the ideal scenario. Carpe Diem wins the first two legs and goes off the even money favorite in the Belmont and Dortmund goes off 2-1 or so. I personally would feel a whole lot more comfortable putting 2000 grand on him in the Belmont at 2-1 rather than 2000 in the Derby at 4-1. If Dortmund wins the Derby he goes off at 1-2 in the final two races. The Derby is such a crap shoot that I could never put a ton of money on any horse to win.

Why did I say 2000 grand. That was the most I have ever bet on a horse to win. It was Risen Star in the Belmont.

Man, I would have paid good money to see the teller's reaction to betting "2000 grand"! :lol: (2000 grand = $2,000,000)

Sorry, but I couldn't resist, especially after you made that same mistake twice.

nads1420
04-08-2015, 07:48 PM
think you can get 20-1 on him derby day?

PizzaCat
04-08-2015, 10:38 PM
Nowhere near 20-1. He will be the next horse behind AP, Dort, and CD. Probably between 8 and 11-1

nads1420
04-09-2015, 11:41 AM
Nowhere near 20-1. He will be the next horse behind AP, Dort, and CD. Probably between 8 and 11-1

Damn I was hoping Materiality and Frosted would take enough money to boost his odds a little

SecretAgentMan
04-09-2015, 11:58 AM
Damn I was hoping Materiality and Frosted would take enough money to boost his odds a little

Frosted will be between 15-1 to 20-1......maybe higher......Firing Line should be 10-1 ML.......I'm thinking Pharaoh & Dortmund will be around 4-1 ML......Carpe 5-1 ML.......depending how the money comes in, Firing Line could go off about 9-1.

Forgot about Materiality & Upstart.......Materiality with the Apollo curse at 10-1 ML.......Upstart 12-1 ML

This year, there will be a lot of money spread out, so who ever you like, I think you will get a good price.

Robert Fischer
04-09-2015, 12:13 PM
I love Firing Line.

I just can't get past the cold hard truth that he had Dortmund beaten in the Robert B. Lewis, and then weakened late.

Doesn't meant that Firing Line isn't the best horse in the Derby. Maybe Firing Line will win the triple crown.

He seemed to run well in the Sunland Derby in a paid workout.

GaryG
04-09-2015, 12:13 PM
Have to evaluate Pharaoh after the Arkansas race, but otherwise Firing Line is the only one who appears capable of derailing Dortmund. Looks like an attractive bet at around 10-1. The power was all on the west coast this year.

And Robert, you have my prayers as well.

f2tornado
04-09-2015, 12:47 PM
Dortmund was exposed in the Santa Anita Derby. His final 3/8th and 1/8th were slower than any of the other prep winners that day and he had a perfect trip. Bolo actually ran more distance that race while getting beat by smaller margin. I think Dortmund goes down at 10F. As far as odds go, I picture Firing Line in the 12 to 15-1 range. Dortmund and AP in the 3-1 range. if those two do take that kind of money then expect some overlays on others at post time.

SecretAgentMan
04-09-2015, 01:04 PM
I love Firing Line.

I just can't get past the cold hard truth that he had Dortmund beaten in the Robert B. Lewis, and then weakened late.

Doesn't meant that Firing Line isn't the best horse in the Derby. Maybe Firing Line will win the triple crown.

I think Firing Line would have beaten Dortmund in the SA derby stretching out from his two previous losses by a head.

Ding Line IMO going into the derby is better than Dortmund. Dortmund is a huge horse that is still maturing, & he will be better later in the year.

Firing Lines trainer/owner didn't want their horse all out grinding down the stretch with Dortmund in SA derby. They wanted a paid workout & an easy 100 points.......he broke the track record winning by over 14 lengths, & he has something left in the tank.

nads1420
04-09-2015, 01:10 PM
that Storm Cat line 0-44 is a pretty tough pill to swallow tho... Even though im totally unsure who my main derby horse will be im kind of trying to sell myself on Firing Line at this point. I was favoring Carpe Diem but I thought he would of shown more last week. Very interested to see American Pharaoh this weekend.

f2tornado
04-09-2015, 01:18 PM
Carpe Diem is a Storm Cat too. He fits a few of my angles but have a hard time getting on board with a stat like that. Pletcher is only slightly better than Storm Cat line too. Dortmund and Firing Line are really nice determined horses but I suspect they will be best at 8.5F.

BlueChip@DRF
04-09-2015, 01:28 PM
Carpe Diem is a Storm Cat too. He fits a few of my angles but have a hard time getting on board with a stat like that. Pletcher is only slightly better than Storm Cat line too. Dortmund and Firing Line are really nice determined horses but I suspect they will be best at 8.5F.
Yeah, Pletcher got that '1' where Storm Cat has '0'. :cool:

BlueChip@DRF
04-09-2015, 01:30 PM
I love Firing Line.

Maybe those two will fight it out in the middle of the pack while the race is over. :)