PDA

View Full Version : Driving Shape

badcompany
04-03-2015, 05:29 PM
Will be getting a car this spring. I haven't driven in many years.

That said, when I did drive, I was very good, and even worked as a Limo driver on the weekends many moons ago.

How long will it take me to get back into "Driving Shape"?

johnhannibalsmith
04-03-2015, 05:35 PM

I don't know where you live but it should be easy since nobody pays any attention to any of the basic principles and courtesies anymore out here.

Tape Reader
04-03-2015, 06:57 PM
Unless you will be driving a hover craft, your eyes and reflexes will be challenged. Seriously, I live in Westchester County, NY. I see that you live in Manhattan. Cambodia has fewer pot holes than we have.

Believe me; target fixation is at least as dangerous as talking on the phone. While maneuvering around man-eating pot holes, I often need to cross over into the oncoming lane. Other drivers do this too.

If you think that seeing a driver talking on the phone is scary, you should see what it’s like when an oncoming driver has target fixation (starring) on a pot hole in front of you.

Ocala Mike
04-03-2015, 07:04 PM
Whatever you do, don't hone your driving skills in Florida. It is the last bastion for drivers whose relatives didn't take the keys away from them soon enough.

NJ Stinks
04-03-2015, 07:15 PM

That said, when I did drive, I was very good, and even worked as a Limo driver on the weekends many moons ago.

Just do what comes naturally, BC. Drive conservatively. ;)

badcompany
04-03-2015, 07:25 PM
Just do what comes naturally, BC. Drive conservatively. ;)

Thanks :) It went over my head the first time I read it :blush:

badcompany
04-03-2015, 07:27 PM
Unless you will be driving a hover craft, your eyes and reflexes will be challenged. Seriously, I live in Westchester County, NY. I see that you live in Manhattan. Cambodia has fewer pot holes than we have.

Believe me; target fixation is at least as dangerous as talking on the phone. While maneuvering around man-eating pot holes, I often need to cross over into the oncoming lane. Other drivers do this too.

If you think that seeing a driver talking on the phone is scary, you should see what it’s like when an oncoming driver has target fixation (starring) on a pot hole in front of you.

I'm also a bicyclist. From a safety standpoint, driving a car in Manhattan is way safer than riding a bike. With the former, if you get in an accident, it probably will be a fender bender; with the latter, you might actually die.

Tape Reader
04-03-2015, 07:49 PM
I'm also a bicyclist. From a safety standpoint, driving a car in Manhattan is way safer than riding a bike. With the former, if you get in an accident, it probably will be a fender bender; with the latter, you might actually die.

Great point. My observations are also from being a cyclist. I ride a BMW 1200 GT bike.

therussmeister
04-03-2015, 08:08 PM

How old are you? I think age has a major impact as to how long it will take.

badcompany
04-03-2015, 08:15 PM
How old are you? I think age has a major impact as to how long it will take.

Big 50

fast4522
04-03-2015, 09:13 PM
Hey Badcompany I know nothing of your location, but the speed limit is a great place to start because NO one wants to do that. To expound a tad I will say to stay center lane always from my professional driving time, availability to split either fork removes much frustration. I would bet you would be on your mark within two days. I wish you safe travels, and think Frank Sinatra in your CD player will have things rolling off you like water off of a duck. It is so easy to get really pissed off at the things you see, laughing at people because you saw it coming is much better way to go.

reckless
04-03-2015, 09:38 PM
Don't worry much, badcompany, you'll be fine.

Anyway, if people don't like your driving, just tell 'em to stay off the sidewalk. :)

JustRalph
04-03-2015, 10:14 PM
What size car? That will matter, I think.

dirty moose
04-04-2015, 12:38 AM
Stick with the subway! The cabs and livery assholes do enough to raise the blood pressure.

Oh yea, and the hipsters on their citi bikes...

TJDave
04-04-2015, 02:00 AM
I ride a BMW 1200 GT bike.

:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

One of the best bikes I've ever owned. If it could have taken the desert heat it would still be in my garage.

There should be a bike thread. I'm crazy about two wheels.

RunForTheRoses
04-04-2015, 10:11 AM
You'll be fine, just have to practice giving the finger.

badcompany
04-04-2015, 11:24 AM
You'll be fine, just have to practice giving the finger.

Lol

I believe I'll get that part back real fast.

As an aside, I also haven't bet for the entire winter. So, I'll also need to get back into "Yelling Shape." ;)

rastajenk
04-04-2015, 03:49 PM
I can't believe you haven't driven for years. To a Middle American flatlander like me, that's practically inconceivable. :eek:

badcompany
04-04-2015, 04:03 PM
I can't believe you haven't driven for years. To a Middle American flatlander like me, that's practically inconceivable. :eek:

Yeah, people who live in rural areas can't believe it, but, in Manhattan, for many, having a car is more of a pain the ass than it's worth. Even people who own cars never use them to drive around the city as parking is such a nightmare. They have the cars strictly to get out of the city.

Tom
04-04-2015, 04:55 PM

3-4 cans into your first 6 pack. :eek:

The pop tops will also give some finger exercises, mandatory on the road today.

Clocker
04-04-2015, 05:41 PM
The pop tops will also give some finger exercises, mandatory on the road today.

For texting. :rolleyes:

OverlayHunter
04-06-2015, 09:27 AM
I've literally driven in practically every state in the nation, practically every major city in the nation (not just passing through them on a freeway). I've driven in every borough of NYC, Boston, Detroit, Chicago, Cleveland, Cincy, LA, San Francisco, Seattle, Pittsburgh, Vegas, Dallas, Newark, Philly, DC, Baltimore, Denver, Kansas City, and many more.

The last time I drove in Manhattan was 2 or 3 years ago and it still remains the most challenging for me. I wouldn't think of doing anything that would take my eyes from the road or using only hand on the wheel - too many assertive and aggressive drivers, too many bicycles, jaywalkers, deliveries, etc. If you can't drive with some level of assertiveness (not recklessness) in Manhattan you're not going to fare well.

Suggestion. If you want to practice with less pressure, drive very early in the morning on weekends (especially Sunday) and/or find neighborhoods that are less demanding (though getting to them could be a challenge at times). Depending upon your personal abilities, the ideal practice run may be to get in the car very early on a Sunday morning and take the Holland Tunnel to NJ, immediately hop on the NJ Turnpike towards Newark BUT get off at the Bayonne, NJ exit (Exit 14A). Most of the streets in Bayonne are very easy to easy to manage and certainly much, much easier than Manhattan. So you'll get practice on a freeway (the Turnpike isn't free but it is freeway-like) and in a less congested town that's easy to get to. Depending upon where in Manhattan you start from, you can do the round trip, including 30 minutes or more of driving around Bayonne in 1.5 - 2.0 hours and be back in Manhattan before the traffic gets horrific.

badcompany
04-06-2015, 10:15 AM
Good post, OH.

I'm from Manhattan. So, the environment, here, is normal to me. It's funny when I go to Saratoga and bring the aggressive NYC pedestrian style with me. The motorists there think I'm suicidal.

I'm thinking more in terms of the basic car handling skills. As I said, at one time I was a high level driver. I'm just wondering if a car is like a bike. I remember taking a few years off from bike riding. When I got back on, I was a little shaky at first, but, by the end of the day I was comfortable.