PDA

View Full Version : Aqueduct: Friday, April 3

Teach
04-03-2015, 12:10 PM
Race One:

:3: Understanding is my pick in Friday’s short-field opener, an allowance state-bred route. I must say I’m “betwixt and between” at 10 a.m. whether South Ozone, Queens will get measureable precipitation. NYC weather-radar shows much of the rain passing just south into Jamaica Bay. This rain-issue has a major bearing on handicapping. I’m going with the idea that there will be some moisture on the track by first-race post. With that in mind, my choice is Understanding. I watched her last-race relay – she finished third. It was a race in which this Unbridled-bred mare came from far back to finish third. In that race, jockey Sheldon Russell maneuvered this mare from her lagging outside post to a snug rail position, albeit far behind the front-runners. The distaffer came on well in the stretch, but, by then, it was too late. A better trip would all that seems necessary for this horse to contend. Fernando Jara is in the irons for MD trainer, Tim Keefe.

Others: :4: On a Snowy Evening

Race Two:

:3: Gregg’s Beauty gets my nod in this maiden-claiming sprint. This Ready’s Image-bred filly hasn’t been seen on the racetrack since mid February, almost two months ago. In that one, a 4 and ˝ furlong sprint, she came up late to finish second at Charles Town. Admittedly, this horse is moving up in class. Yet, she may contend in a race that doesn’t appear to have too much early speed. The two-panel stretch-out might work to her benefit. Jockey Taylor Rice rides for trainer Gary Sciacca. Sciacca does well with shippers.

Others: :6: Samus; :1: Mama’s Red Hot; :2: Alice and Trixie.

Race Three:

:1: Cousin Michael is my choice in this claiming route. In this ”two-turner,” this Mr. Greeley-bred gelding may well benefit from his inside post. This 6-year-old gelding will need to stretch out a tad, but that shouldn’t be a problem. Trainer Nick Esler is very good with horses entered in claiming races. This gelding has hit the tote in five out of seven lifetime wet-track tries. Jockey Manny Franco has the call.

Others: :3: Tequila Hero; :2: Five Freedoms; :5: Fiona’s Hero.

Race Four:

My pick here is :6: Shades of Indygo. The A.P. Indy-bred filly has finished second in his last two. However, she’s been away from the races for over four months. Yet this 4-year-old filly has some solid wet-track pedigree as evidenced by hitting the tote in all four of her wet-track starts. The filly’s recent morning-work was very good; yet I would have liked to have seen her go an added furlong or two in preparation for today’s route. The filly’s trainer, Jim Ryerson, is having a very good meet. Manny Franco is in the irons.

Others: :3: Bossy Boots; :1: Razia Sultana; :2: Sakonnet Point

Race Five:

I’m picking :2: Becker’s Galaxy to win this mile claimer. The Mr. Greeley-bred gelding has been the model of consistency at this level as he has hit the tote in all three of his recent starts. This 5-year-old roan gelding should handle any wet going as he’s hit the tote in six out of eight lifetime starts. Trainer Charlton Baker is very good with claiming starts. Jockey Manny Franco reprises the ride.

Others: :4: Tug of War; :1: Holy Invader; :5: Fullfaithandcredit

Race Six:

:10: Inaflash is my choice in this claiming sprint. This Holy Bull-bred mare drops down after winning over slightly better, her second win in a row. The roan mare has won four out of her last five, no reason to believe she can’t make it five out of six. The red-hot apprentice, Angel Cruz, is in the irons for trainer Gary Gullo.

Others: :11: Precious Franca; :1: My Tee Time; :7: Ecoach

Race Seven:

In this one-mile allowance, non-winners of two, lifetime, my pick is :2: Prize Taker. This 5-year-old Storm Cat-bred mare was narily second in this company in her last. Any slight improvement. A couple caveats: the mare’s been away from the races for nearly two months and (2) she garnered only one win in twenty starts, lifetime. However, she does appear to have the ability to win in this company. Charlton Baker owns and trains. Baker is good with both dirt starts and horses who have been a week from the races for two to three months. Fernando Jara reprises the ride.

Others: :3: Too Good To B True; :5: Violinist; :7: Jilly Mac

Race Eight:

In this 72k allowance route I’m picking :6: Mine for Life. This lightly-raced 4-year-old chestnut filly easily broke her maiden fifty days ago in a sprint. The filly now stretches out a couple panels. It’s a distance her breeding seems to indicate that she should handle. The filly now moves up into the winners category. However, off her last start, she should handle the class hike. A mid-March morning work appears to indicate readiness; yet I would have liked to have seen her in another “work” closer to today’s race. Don’t expect much value. If you’re looking elsewhere…

Others: :1a: Checkupfromzneckup; :2: Irish Sweepstakes; :5: Striking Impact

Race Nine:

:4: Unauthorized has faced better. This high-priced 3-year-old Gone West-bred has faced better. He has as good a chance as any to break his maiden in this mile claiming route. Oh, this horse should easily handle a wet track. Apprentice Eric Cancel rides for trainer Bruce Brown.

Others: :11: Larry Boy; :6: Rollie Mass; :7: Keyaly