PDA

View Full Version : Primary source of info for handicapping

Capper Al
03-31-2015, 06:03 AM
What would you say is your primary source for handicapping? Mine is BRIS Multicaps data file uploaded into my own app.

therussmeister
03-31-2015, 05:18 PM
Mine is the track program pinned to a dart board.

Augenj
03-31-2015, 05:25 PM
There have been days when that would have worked better for me. :D

Capper Al
03-31-2015, 05:36 PM
The tote-board should have been included as an option.

thaskalos
03-31-2015, 07:35 PM
All these "modern" players on this site...and pencil-and-paper still leads the standings in the poll? :)

Tall One
03-31-2015, 07:41 PM
All these "modern" players on this site...and pencil-and-paper still leads the standings in the poll? :)

Dont have the 'puter know how, but its the way I taught myself years ago, thask....Might bring out the calculator from time to time though.. :blush: :D

Saratoga_Mike
03-31-2015, 08:26 PM
3D-printing technology.

Elliott Sidewater
03-31-2015, 08:38 PM
Once the whales entered the ocean of North American racing, the "evolution of the revolution" got stopped cold in its tracks. Their programs and betting methods are the best that money can't buy. Therefore, pencil and paper may be the best, cheapest and most logical alternative. The old EF Hutton commercials come to mind- "we make money the old fashioned way, we earrrrrrrrrrn it".

MONEY
03-31-2015, 09:46 PM
The title should be Primary Sources of info for handicapping.
I don't think that any serious handicapper uses only one source and each source that a handicapper uses is as important as the other sources.

I use paper and pencil, DRF, Statsmaster, Brisnet PPs provided by Whobet, common sense & after March 31st, the jockey and trainer stats that my friend Cliff Smith has been emailing to me every day for at least ten years.

Dave Schwartz
04-01-2015, 02:12 AM

Amazingly, with a little something added, you might be able to make that work.

Once the whales entered the ocean of North American racing, the "evolution of the revolution" got stopped cold in its tracks. Their programs and betting methods are the best that money can't buy. Therefore, pencil and paper may be the best, cheapest and most logical alternative. The old EF Hutton commercials come to mind- "we make money the old fashioned way, we earrrrrrrrrrn it".

I am thinking that qoute should be amended to read:

"we make money the old fashioned way, we STEAL it." :lol:

... but I do agree with your position, Elliot. :ThmbUp:

... Or else you have to use a computer to simulate a paper-and-pencil approach. That is, old fashioned contender selection and some less-than-hi-tech value analysis.

That is pretty much what I'm doing. Only thing is that I have semi-automated the whole process so that I can do a race in about 3 minutes.

Lemon Drop Husker
04-02-2015, 11:44 PM

Eh... them damn new fanglers.

How about eying a form and figuring @W*& out in your own damn head?

Maths. If you can't do the maths on the fly, then you best be getting out of wagering on ponies.

raybo
04-03-2015, 02:22 AM
My own software/program with commercial data files, all automated.

When your top pick hits only slightly less than the public, but produces positive long term ROIs (or even slightly negative ROIs) then you're doing something right. When you have the ability to wager on your top 2 or 3 picks in the same race, to win, and make very positive ROIs, you're really doing something right.

It doesn't matter what software, or pencil and paper method, or whatever method you use, if either of the 2 items in the above paragraph are true.

crestridge
04-04-2015, 09:21 PM
Utilizing my own Excel program, two commercial programs and data from Bris...but mostly relying on my own Excel program for final decisions.

I believe, to rely on another method mostly, especially if produced by a commercial source, may make it very difficult to turn a profit. Many clever users out there with commercial programs; however, several of the more "robust" computer programs mentioned on this site, require such a long learning curve, computer programming skills, etc., probably are worth pursuing, if one wishes to "do the work".

FrankieFigs
04-05-2015, 09:23 AM
Bris Ultimate PP's and an iPad. That's it for me. Probably why this is a hobby and mostly fun instead of a source of income.... :)

PaceAdvantage
04-06-2015, 03:38 PM

Maths. If you can't do the maths on the fly, then you best be getting out of wagering on ponies.Why so vulgar lately?

Tom
04-06-2015, 08:37 PM

Maths. If you can't do the maths on the fly, then you best be getting out of wagering on ponies.

It's people with your attitude that make it worthwhile playing the game. :lol:

Fingal
04-07-2015, 12:26 PM

That's why so far no one has voted for the tip sheet option.

Why pay someone because it's fun to throw darts.

But I'll use the "commercial software" with the "commercial data file" because it does the majority of what used to be tedious time consuming calculations. But then from the few left that are the primary contenders I'll use a calculator to make some basic figures & a final selection from those.

Robert Goren
04-07-2015, 04:50 PM
BRIS Ultimate PP. I am working on method using Excel to locate horses that have more money bet on them than their PPs would suggest. At the current time I am using a formula based on Prime Power numbers to create the expected chance of winning. This idea of underlay betting is based on the writings of Burton P Fabricand. It was his idea that in races where horses who looked better than or similar to on paper to the favorite made the favorite the likely winner. It is my idea that a horse who is bet more than a horse with a higher expected chance of winning is the likely winner. I have making some very small wagers with some very good results while compiling more data with the hope of putting hard numbers to winning bet percentages and ROIs at various odds levels and the amounts of the horse's overbet. It is my hope that in a couple of months, I will have enough numbers to post a few race picks here.

MJC922
04-07-2015, 07:49 PM
Sounds cool Bob.

BlueChip@DRF
04-11-2015, 02:27 PM
Over-the-shoulder technique. :)

Capper Al
04-13-2015, 09:19 AM
BRIS Ultimate PP. I am working on method using Excel to locate horses that have more money bet on them than their PPs would suggest. At the current time I am using a formula based on Prime Power numbers to create the expected chance of winning. This idea of underlay betting is based on the writings of Burton P Fabricand. It was his idea that in races where horses who looked better than or similar to on paper to the favorite made the favorite the likely winner. It is my idea that a horse who is bet more than a horse with a higher expected chance of winning is the likely winner. I have making some very small wagers with some very good results while compiling more data with the hope of putting hard numbers to winning bet percentages and ROIs at various odds levels and the amounts of the horse's overbet. It is my hope that in a couple of months, I will have enough numbers to post a few race picks here.

Good luck with researching your method. This is exactly what you need to do to be a winner.

appistappis
04-27-2015, 02:46 AM
drf, an orange marker and a lot of tums