PDA

View Full Version : Brain Tumor phase 1 trial

lamboguy
03-29-2015, 08:39 PM
just watched the end of the Duke game and up came 60 minutes. so i watched it because it had a segment about people with brain tumor's that have been shrunk by injecting it with the Polio virus. so far they have had 20 patients that they think have prolonged their lives. supposedly it shows how the tumor disintegrates from the inside out, 2 people have been cured and 9 other's have prolonged their life according to the doctor's running the study.

the study is taking place at Duke.

Greyfox
03-29-2015, 08:48 PM
That's a breakthrough if it pans out to help these unfortunate victims.

Grits
03-29-2015, 09:03 PM
Here are the links to CBS' 60 Minutes, parts 1 & 2 of the cancer treatments in clinical trial at Duke. .... Having gone through its doors for decades now, I'm proud of, and love this hospital, it is one of the best in the world, and one that has meant so much to me and my family.

This truly is miraculous research, and outcome, for a phase 1 study. Hopefully, this trial can reach those in need at other medical centers as the work continues. It is being used on other types of cancers, aside from that of brain tumors. <3

http://www.cbs.com/shows/60_minutes/video/QfqXEVg59RoubD4K_uvogCh3u2e6ewPL/killing-cancer-part-one/

http://www.cbs.com/shows/60_minutes/video/jlj4E0D3vFdLQRTgQRcAhPY8qYEyLlM_/killing-cancer-part-two/

lamboguy
03-29-2015, 09:11 PM
thanks for posting the links, i didn't know they had that up so fast.

whodoyoulike
03-29-2015, 11:00 PM
Thanks for the heads up. I probably wouldn't have watched except for seeing your post. I hope more people with the various types of cancers can get the treatment. We need to eradicate cancer ASAP.

Dave Schwartz
03-29-2015, 11:45 PM
Thanks to both of you for the thread and the links.

:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

lamboguy
03-30-2015, 05:17 AM
Thanks to both of you for the thread and the links.

:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:the idea behind this process makes some sense to me, its about getting the persons body to fight the cancer cells with the person's own immune system.

if this process helps save some lives, we will all be happy, its probably the most ultimate win you can ever have.

Spiderman
03-30-2015, 08:02 AM
The path of this research has shown positive result for several forms of cancer. One of the speakers on the linked CBS segments, enumerates a few: lung, colon, among others.

Grits
03-30-2015, 09:58 AM
When you give someone hope, you give someone life. Our bodies, naturally, fight with such possibility and promise.

classhandicapper
03-30-2015, 02:59 PM
This is amazing and very encouraging.

Grits
03-30-2015, 03:25 PM
I think so, too, Classh. They're also working with other cancers noted in the piece--as I said earlier. Those suffering with lung, renal, prostate, colo-rectal, etc. ....

HOPE is the key. And to the mom who has traveled from Texas who wants to live to see her sons graduate, marry, and give her grandchildren is the most beautiful blessing when she had NO hope, NONE. (This is a case where another world renown cancer center, M.D.Anderson in Texas and Duke have obviously worked together.)

To realize that one of Duke's microbiologist, along with others in the research lab have been working on the altering of the polio vaccine for this purpose for 25 years was remarkable. Talk about long days. WOW.

Some can turn their back on doctors. I cannot, not on Duke. I know what they've done for my son, and my former spouse. I would've lost both, without them. I've been in and out of this hospital's doors for 38 years. So pleased for them. (This website needs a HEART emoji, big time, right now.) .... I hope others, here, will watch the 60 Minutes videos. It may be us, or our loved one fighting one day.

lamboguy
03-30-2015, 03:52 PM
I think so, too, Classh. They're also working with other cancers noted in the piece--as I said earlier. Those suffering with lung, renal, prostate, colo-rectal, etc. ....

HOPE is the key. And to the mom who has traveled from Texas who wants to live to see her sons graduate, marry, and give her grandchildren is the most beautiful blessing when she had NO hope, NONE. (This is a case where another world renown cancer center, M.D.Anderson in Texas and Duke have obviously worked together.)

To realize that one of Duke's microbiologist, along with others in the research lab have been working on the altering of the polio vaccine for this purpose for 25 years was remarkable. Talk about long days. WOW.

Some can turn their back on doctors. I cannot, not on Duke. I know what they've done for my son, and my former spouse. I would've lost both, without them. I've been in and out of this hospital's doors for 38 years. So pleased for them. (This website needs a HEART emoji, big time, right now.) .... I hope others, here, will watch the 60 Minutes videos. It may be us, or our loved one fighting one day.i had an old buddy that you probably knew, Jimmy The Greek Snyder, he had 3 kids with cystic fibrosis and he moved to Durham to be next to the Duke medical facility. as far as i know, 2 of his kids lived on. that happens to be a great record for that disease. this was probably about 50 years ago, The Greek would have been over 100 years old by now. the medical school is top notch and they probably have the top research department in the world.

whodoyoulike
03-30-2015, 03:53 PM
What I found amazing is that the hope for cancer's cure is dependent on the polio virus which mankind had tried to eradicate. Maybe being capable of controlling cancer cells can cure something else (like alzheimer's disease and dementia or something similar). Truly amazing example of thinking outside the box!!

Secondbest
03-30-2015, 04:07 PM
I didn't see the show.Did They say how the idea to use polio to fight cáncer came up in the first place? It's an amazing deduction.

whodoyoulike
03-30-2015, 04:12 PM
Yes, they did. See the links in Grits post #3.

Secondbest
03-30-2015, 04:20 PM
Thanks

Grits
03-30-2015, 04:33 PM
the medical school is top notch and they probably have the top research department in the world.

Lambo, my son's cardiologist is Dean of Admission's of the Medical School. A rigorous task, selecting the handful of students that will enter the program each year among thousand who apply. Plus, she teaches--Professor of Peds Cardiology. She has patients in the hospital, sees her patients in the clinic while at the same time, traveling and representing Duke for cardiology conferences, etc.

She's a brilliant woman married to medicine, an incredible mother of 3 sons (each of whom she adopted). ... After all of this, she still finds time for sports--working with inner city youth in Durham.

(Sorry, gentlemen, for going off topic, but she's pretty special to us. We're from the same hometown.)

lamboguy
03-30-2015, 05:11 PM
Lambo, my son's cardiologist is Dean of Admission's of the Medical School. A rigorous task, selecting the handful of students that will enter the program each year among thousand who apply. Plus, she teaches--Professor of Peds Cardiology. She has patients in the hospital, sees her patients in the clinic while at the same time, traveling and representing Duke for cardiology conferences, etc.

She's a brilliant woman married to medicine, an incredible mother of 3 sons (each of whom she adopted). ... After all of this, she still finds time for sports--working with inner city youth in Durham.

(Sorry, gentlemen, for going off topic, but she's pretty special to us. We're from the same hometown.)what a great human being, that's as good as it gets.

hearing stuff like that is music to my ears when you have a doctor that is so dedicated to the profession.

the standards for Duke seem second to none, that is why they are getting results like yours and these brain cancer cases.

i also knew a lady that couldn't lose weight to save her life until she went down to Duke, from what i remember they had some special program where she had to move down there, lo and behold this lady lost very close to 200 pounds and knocked down every rotten number her body was producing as far as blood sugar levels and high blood pressure.

for sure there are some amazing stories coming out of Durham.

thaskalos
03-30-2015, 06:33 PM
i had an old buddy that you probably knew, Jimmy The Greek Snyder, he had 3 kids with cystic fibrosis and he moved to Durham to be next to the Duke medical facility. as far as i know, 2 of his kids lived on. that happens to be a great record for that disease. this was probably about 50 years ago, The Greek would have been over 100 years old by now. the medical school is top notch and they probably have the top research department in the world.

I knew Jimmy the Greek as well. Three of his five kids were stricken with cystic fibrosis...and, sadly, all three died of the disease.

The day that cancer is ultimately defeated will be a day of widespread celebration throughout the world. What I wouldn't give to still be around when that happens...

Grits
03-30-2015, 08:52 PM
The day that cancer is ultimately defeated will be a day of widespread celebration throughout the world. What I wouldn't give to still be around when that happens...

Thask, for your sake, and the memory of your late wife, I hope you are around for such a widespread celebration, too. Tucker 6, as well. :)

Greyfox
04-16-2015, 07:35 PM

More hope.
A protein that super charges the immune system.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/science-news/11542544/Scientists-find-key-to-turbo-charging-immune-system-to-kill-all-cancers.html

whodoyoulike
05-26-2015, 10:40 PM
I find these experiments and trials attempting to cure cancer amazing...

http://www.afr.com/lifestyle/health/womens-health/scientists-use-herpes-to-treat-skin-cancer-20150527-ghak94

I guess we just can't be closed minded about viruses etc.