PDA

View Full Version : Popularity of March Madness.

Stillriledup
03-26-2015, 08:48 PM
NBA players are far superior than most of these players in this tournament, you have a few freaks who could step into the NBA today and fit right in, but many of these guys are going to be pumping gas when their college career is over.

Why the "lure" to watch players who are not as good as the pros?

tucker6
03-26-2015, 09:10 PM
NBA players are far superior than most of these players in this tournament, you have a few freaks who could step into the NBA today and fit right in, but many of these guys are going to be pumping gas when their college career is over.

haven't watched one game in 20 years.

Stillriledup
03-26-2015, 10:43 PM
haven't watched one game in 20 years.

Its all about brackets and gambling. And ironically, you have the NCAA fighting NJ on the sports betting issue when the only reason their basketball is popular is because of fantasy sports, gambling and office pools. Its a great gambling product, people aren't watching it because of the great players.

Valuist
03-26-2015, 11:25 PM
Can you imagine an office pool on Triple A baseball teams in a tournament?

Its the brackets and nothing else. And the huge interest is opening Thurs-Sunday. It dies down quite a bit for the next weekend and then a resurgence for the Final Four.

Clocker
03-27-2015, 12:49 AM
Its all about brackets and gambling.

I haven't watched NBA games in untold years. I remember them as boring. Regular college games are a cut above that, one reason being you favor one school over another. College tournament or championship games are a step up from that because of the intensity.

March Madness is the best of all because of the drama, the one and done aspect, and the Cinderella teams. I don't make out brackets and I don't bet on any sports that only involve two-legged athletes. The NCAA this year is okay, but below average for a causal fan because of the preponderance of chalk.

Tall One
03-27-2015, 12:59 AM

Uh....Stein(maybe) Lyles(maybe) Townes(probably) Twins(no) Booker(no) Ulis(no) Lee(no) Poythress(graduates this year, can basically stay in college for free next year) Johnson(no)...

Marshall Bennett
03-27-2015, 03:38 AM

The excitement level is greater when you have kids playing their hearts out versus overpaid men that half the time seem like they don't give a shit. That's it for me, anyway. :)

Stillriledup
03-27-2015, 03:55 AM
The excitement level is greater when you have kids playing their hearts out versus overpaid men that half the time seem like they don't give a shit. That's it for me, anyway. :)

I don't really agree that they're overpaid, if anything they're underpaid because of a cap on the contracts, there's only so much you could make, if there was unlimited amounts the players could get paid, Lebron and a few others would be making double what they're making. The owners aren't going to pay the players so much money that they themselves are in the red at the end...so, i think that if they're making a large enough profit, by definition the players aren't overpaid.

There's 82 grueling NBA games in the season, they play WAY more games than the college players, and the players are so much bigger and faster, its really tiring to play that many games, but the effort is pretty good, its much better than it used to be, i don't think kids who are going to be pumping gas in a year or two are "playing harder" than NBA stars. Is the 4th best player on Wisconsin playing harder than Russell Westbrook? I'd say no, not even close.

I think the idea that these college players are playing harder for free than NBA guys are playing (knowing that millions of dollars await them in their next contract) is just a little hard for me to believe. I just dont see it.

Dark Horse
03-27-2015, 11:32 AM
No way I'm watching games with 29 timeouts (5 per half per team plus nine tv timeouts) over 40 minutes of play. It's truly amazing what you can stuff down people's throats. I remember when March Madness was fun, but this is a joke.

Marshall Bennett
03-27-2015, 12:09 PM
I think the idea that these college players are playing harder for free than NBA guys are playing (knowing that millions of dollars await them in their next contract) is just a little hard for me to believe. I just dont see it.
You have to be joking, right? :D

Tall One
03-27-2015, 04:15 PM
Note to self...make sure you understand the topic of the thread before posting. Also, be sober when posting in said thread.

On topic, I don't think NBA players take it up a notch until playoff time.

Stillriledup
03-27-2015, 08:40 PM
Note to self...make sure you understand the topic of the thread before posting. Also, be sober when posting in said thread.

Qw9oX-kZ_9k

Valuist
03-27-2015, 11:32 PM

And if the college teams played 82 games? They'd be laying down a lot.

I used the example earlier of Triple A baseball. Imagine the country in a frenzy over a Pawtucket vs Albequerque playoff, or an Arena League football playoff. I guess we certainly can use college football also, although that clearly has a big following. To each their own, but I have to agree with SRU; I'd rather watch the best in a sport, than a level that's clearly a cut below.

Clocker
03-27-2015, 11:49 PM
I'd rather watch the best in a sport, than a level that's clearly a cut below.

They are two different sports. Steaks and hamburgers are both beef, but they are two different foods. I'd rather have a great hamburger than an average steak.

I'd rather watch an exciting NCAA game than an average NBA game. You have a lot better chance of seeing best of class in March Madness than in the slog through an NBA season.

Valuist
03-28-2015, 12:16 AM
They are two different sports. Steaks and hamburgers are both beef, but they are two different foods. I'd rather have a great hamburger than an average steak.

I'd rather watch an exciting NCAA game than an average NBA game. You have a lot better chance of seeing best of class in March Madness than in the slog through an NBA season.

Again apples and oranges. An NCAA tourney game should really only be compared to NBA playoffs. Yes, some NBA regular season games can be boring. Same could be said for plenty of college games in December and January.

I will agree with your great hamburger analogy. Unless its a filet, I'll usually take the good burger.

Clocker
03-28-2015, 02:21 AM
An NCAA tourney game should really only be compared to NBA playoffs.

Why?

The OP is trying to tell us what we "should" like. I like any college hoops game over any NBA game. I like chocolate ice cream more than vanilla. So what?

Marshall Bennett
03-28-2015, 03:13 AM
Even the crowd noise is as different as daylight and dark. Constant noise at college games, often seems you're at an opera with NBA games. Football is even similar, though not quite as bad.

Stillriledup
03-28-2015, 03:20 AM
Why?

The OP is trying to tell us what we "should" like. I like any college hoops game over any NBA game. I like chocolate ice cream more than vanilla. So what?

Since the players aren't as good in college, there must be something that the college game has that you're attracted to that you're "ok with" the players not being nearly as good as the NBA? What might that be.

rastajenk
03-28-2015, 07:04 AM
Good lord, troll, if you have to ask, you'll never understand. :rolleyes:

MutuelClerk
03-28-2015, 07:42 AM
Not enough commercials.

Spiderman
03-28-2015, 09:17 AM
I enjoy viewing college b-ball over NBA. Seeing players who will make it in the NBA is a treat. In last night's Utah v. Duke game, #55 on Utah was very impressive. He can spark a team and would make an excellent sixth man on an NBA team. He possesses superior on court presence.

Relwob Owner
03-28-2015, 10:04 AM
I don't really agree that they're overpaid, if anything they're underpaid because of a cap on the contracts, there's only so much you could make, if there was unlimited amounts the players could get paid, Lebron and a few others would be making double what they're making. The owners aren't going to pay the players so much money that they themselves are in the red at the end...so, i think that if they're making a large enough profit, by definition the players aren't overpaid.

There's 82 grueling NBA games in the season, they play WAY more games than the college players, and the players are so much bigger and faster, its really tiring to play that many games, but the effort is pretty good, its much better than it used to be, i don't think kids who are going to be pumping gas in a year or two are "playing harder" than NBA stars. Is the 4th best player on Wisconsin playing harder than Russell Westbrook? I'd say no, not even close.

Open your eyes, its pretty clear. You say specifically "March Madness" and not just simply "college vs pro" and I dont see how anyone could say that guys in the NCAA aren't playing harder(although some will say such things just to spark a thread and not base their opinion in reality)......Your own words go against your point. As you say, 82 games is a grind and the NCAA tournament is one and done and often these guys' last shot at any meaningful basketball so of course they will play harder than pros do on a regular basis and anyone watching these games can see that they are. Your own words again back it up with the comment that these guys will be "pumping gas" next year. Kind of a harsh comment but the concept again goes against your point because like I said, those guys know they won't be in the NBA and know this is their last shot at meaningful basketball results and accomplishments.

Your idea of NBA players playing harder because of their next contract would make more sense if every guy had a one year contract but they dont. Yes, some guys have contract years coming up that they are playing for but many just "got paid" or have long term contracts, have less to play during that 82 game grind and only really start trying full force before the playoffs or when their next deal comes up. Not saying at all that NBA players dont try but its obvious guys in the NCAA tourney are trying harder and thats why its more entertaining to me.

Stillriledup
03-28-2015, 02:39 PM
Open your eyes, its pretty clear. You say specifically "March Madness" and not just simply "college vs pro" and I dont see how anyone could say that guys in the NCAA aren't playing harder(although some will say such things just to spark a thread and not base their opinion in reality)......Your own words go against your point. As you say, 82 games is a grind and the NCAA tournament is one and done and often these guys' last shot at any meaningful basketball so of course they will play harder than pros do on a regular basis and anyone watching these games can see that they are. Your own words again back it up with the comment that these guys will be "pumping gas" next year. Kind of a harsh comment but the concept again goes against your point because like I said, those guys know they won't be in the NBA and know this is their last shot at meaningful basketball results and accomplishments.

Your idea of NBA players playing harder because of their next contract would make more sense if every guy had a one year contract but they dont. Yes, some guys have contract years coming up that they are playing for but many just "got paid" or have long term contracts, have less to play during that 82 game grind and only really start trying full force before the playoffs or when their next deal comes up. Not saying at all that NBA players dont try but its obvious guys in the NCAA tourney are trying harder and thats why its more entertaining to me.

First of all, the college players don't 'try harder' that's poppycock.

Second, the way the march madness is structured, its a great gambling vehicle, people aren't watching because gas pumpers are 'trying hard', they're watching because they have something riding.

You can sugar coat it all you want, but the players you are watching aren't as good. Why do you think the WNBA isn't as popular? Because the players aren't as good as the NBA...yet, people have no problem watching inferior players in college. If you have convinced yourself that these guys "play harder" it still doesn't change the fact that they're not nearly as good as the pros.

Clocker
03-28-2015, 02:59 PM
If you have convinced yourself that these guys "play harder" it still doesn't change the fact that they're not nearly as good as the pros.

None of which changes the fact that there are a lot of other reasons to prefer one over the other, and that the reasons vary from person to person. You are criticizing people for not making their decisions based on your criteria.

That's why there are different flavors of ice cream.

Dark Horse
03-28-2015, 03:05 PM
You're really wondering why NCAAB and NCAAF are popular?

It's because people went to college. Alma Mater is second only to Semper Fi. March Madness adds the ultimate marketing tool of bracketology. ESPN even gets the idiot in the White House to fill out a bracket.

Relwob Owner
03-28-2015, 11:43 PM
First of all, the college players don't 'try harder' that's poppycock.

Second, the way the march madness is structured, its a great gambling vehicle, people aren't watching because gas pumpers are 'trying hard', they're watching because they have something riding.

You can sugar coat it all you want, but the players you are watching aren't as good. Why do you think the WNBA isn't as popular? Because the players aren't as good as the NBA...yet, people have no problem watching inferior players in college. If you have convinced yourself that these guys "play harder" it still doesn't change the fact that they're not nearly as good as the pros.

Realizing that your initial point was weak, when you wondered about the "lure" of March Madness, you have started deflecting and now made it into solely whether college players are better than the pros. Of course they aren't, who is debating that?

You started this thread wondering why March Madness is popular. Yes, the gambling aspect is important but I think all you had to do to answer a large part of your initial question was to have watched the Notre Dame/Kentucky game tonight. That showed what March Madness is all about.

Stillriledup
03-29-2015, 03:14 AM
Realizing that your initial point was weak, when you wondered about the "lure" of March Madness, you have started deflecting and now made it into solely whether college players are better than the pros. Of course they aren't, who is debating that?

You started this thread wondering why March Madness is popular. Yes, the gambling aspect is important but I think all you had to do to answer a large part of your initial question was to have watched the Notre Dame/Kentucky game tonight. That showed what March Madness is all about.

Since the players aren't even as close to being as good as the pros, there must be other reasons MM is popular. No, they don't try harder than the pros, maybe it looks like it, but its not true....so, it has to be something else. You seem a big fan, and seem to be taking it personally that someone dare not love march madness/college bb. No need to feel offended or get sensitive.

Grits
03-29-2015, 05:29 AM
SRU, you ask why people care about March Madness so much. You don't understand why people love college basketball and backing their university's teams? It hard to believe you look at all of this as simply money wagered? Or not? They lack skill, they're not as good as the pros.

March madness has grown and grown and grown.... And it is men like this that made athletes.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12563125/former-north-carolina-tar-heels-coach-dean-smith-leaves-200-letterman

It's about competing. It's about money and lots of it. But, too, it's about growth. You don't get this part maybe. These guys aren't even men yet. I guess one has to be a parent to understand. If you're not a parent, of course, it would explain some of your reasoning.

There's a lot wrong with college athletics but, too, there's a lot right. JMO

Relwob Owner
03-29-2015, 06:09 AM
Since the players aren't even as close to being as good as the pros, there must be other reasons MM is popular. No, they don't try harder than the pros, maybe it looks like it, but its not true....so, it has to be something else. You seem a big fan, and seem to be taking it personally that someone dare not love march madness/college bb. No need to feel offended or get sensitive.

Not offended/getting sensitive or taking it personally at all. Just debating and as usual, your points often don't make sense because you post to get reactions, not with thoughts based on real opinions or fact....here, you started out asking about the lure of March Madness and ended up going on and on about NBA players being better than college players when none was even debating you about that fact. I guess when you post as much as you do, you are bound to get lost sometimes.

I think the person who really cares about it and seems offended that people like March Madness so much is the one who took the time to start a thread about how people dare to like it.....

Marshall Bennett
03-29-2015, 12:19 PM
Professional Ice skaters are more seasoned and talented than those competing at the Olympics. I suppose people are crazy for getting more excited over the Olympics because many are not as good as professionals?
You seemed to have started this thread in an attempt to bait people into an argument. You knew exactly what the reaction would be here.
I'm done with it now. :)

badcompany
03-29-2015, 12:36 PM
Professional Ice skaters are more seasoned and talented than those competing at the Olympics. I suppose people are crazy for getting more excited over the Olympics because many are not as good as professionals?
You seemed to have started this thread in an attempt to bait people into an argument. You knew exactly what the reaction would be here.

Why watch a two year old stakes race, when most of the horses won't amount to much as three year olds and older?

TJDave
03-29-2015, 12:50 PM
Since the players aren't as good in college, there must be something that the college game has that you're attracted to that you're "ok with" the players not being nearly as good as the NBA? What might that be.

Deportment.

Most professional players look and act like thugs.

Relwob Owner
03-29-2015, 01:28 PM

Sadly enough, you have hit the nail on the head. Nothing is based on rational thought and/or opinion. Its just about inciting reactions and as you point out, baiting people into an argument. Like in this thread, it was asked "what is the lure" and then after people pointed out good reasons, SRU started debating about whether pros are better than college players, something none even mentioned or questioned. This kind of intentional baiting really brings many of the threads down in terms of content and enjoyment.

The next move by SRU is to ask why myself or someone else is personally attacking him, why not put him/her on ignore, etc,etc.....its like watching a bad movie where you know the ending.

Clocker
03-29-2015, 04:58 PM
Nobody that saw the Michigan State game today can ever ask why people like the NCAA tournament.

Tall One
03-29-2015, 05:30 PM
Nobody that saw the Michigan State game today can ever ask why people like the NCAA tournament.

Or the UK game last night.

Grits
03-29-2015, 05:54 PM
31--26 Duke over Gonzaga at the half :)

Grits
03-29-2015, 07:10 PM
DUKE !!!!!!!

66-52

See you all in Indy.

Dark Horse
03-29-2015, 09:24 PM
With a ridiculous 29 timeouts per 40 minute game you have to wonder how any player could get into any kind of flow. It's just a coaches game now. An excuse to stuff as many commercials as possible down people's throats. Ugh. Gimme the old Running Rebels with a towel-chewing Tarkanian and get rid of this corporate fascist crap.

Stillriledup
03-30-2015, 12:12 AM
Sadly enough, you have hit the nail on the head. Nothing is based on rational thought and/or opinion. Its just about inciting reactions and as you point out, baiting people into an argument. Like in this thread, it was asked "what is the lure" and then after people pointed out good reasons, SRU started debating about whether pros are better than college players, something none even mentioned or questioned. This kind of intentional baiting really brings many of the threads down in terms of content and enjoyment.

The next move by SRU is to ask why myself or someone else is personally attacking him, why not put him/her on ignore, etc,etc.....its like watching a bad movie where you know the ending.

So, you're not sensitive :rolleyes: yet you echo the garbage from Post 30 and run with it? Cmon now, you're better than this.

Stillriledup
03-30-2015, 12:13 AM
With a ridiculous 29 timeouts per 40 minute game you have to wonder how any player could get into any kind of flow. It's just a coaches game now. An excuse to stuff as many commercials as possible down people's throats. Ugh. Gimme the old Running Rebels with a towel-chewing Tarkanian and get rid of this corporate fascist crap.

Not to mention all the fouls, supposedly according to Greeny from Mike and Mike, there's a LOT of fouls, ticky tack stuff, breathe on a guy and there's a foul, how is that entertaining?

Dark Horse
04-01-2015, 04:47 AM
Not to mention all the fouls, supposedly according to Greeny from Mike and Mike, there's a LOT of fouls, ticky tack stuff, breathe on a guy and there's a foul, how is that entertaining?

I really used to like college basketball 20-25 years ago, but gradually lost interest. When I recently flipped through the channels I tried to watch a game or two, but I couldn't. It was literally one timeout after another, i.e. loaded to the brim with commercials. Almost nothing of the old game was left. No flow, no frantic energy, nothing. Anyway, fine with me. For the real heart-stopping thrill there's always the two minutes of a horse race.

Relwob Owner
04-01-2015, 09:26 AM
So, you're not sensitive :rolleyes: yet you echo the garbage from Post 30 and run with it? Cmon now, you're better than this.

Correct, Im not sensitive. I am just calling it like I see it with regards to your posts and everything I said I think is spot on. Onward....