PDA

View Full Version : Materiality And The Florida Derby

Bob S.
03-25-2015, 10:45 AM
Impressive last out winner, earning a 104 Beyer Speed Figure, is running in Saturday's Grade 1 Florida Derby.

http://regalbloodlines.com/2015/02/02/five-3-year-old-january-winners-we-may-be-talking-about-this-triple-crown-season/

letswastemoney
03-25-2015, 04:17 PM
He's my pick to win. So far, the only bet I'll make this weekend.

DRIVEWAY
03-25-2015, 06:15 PM
Why would Pletcher takes the horse from mdspwt at 6 fl to grade1 at 1 1/8?

Milkshaker
03-25-2015, 07:10 PM
Why would Pletcher takes the horse from mdspwt at 6 fl to grade1 at 1 1/8?

Because it's now six weeks before the Derby and he needs a good solid six or eight of 'em in the running to get into the top 20.

DRIVEWAY
03-25-2015, 07:25 PM
Because it's now six weeks before the Derby and he needs a good solid six or eight of 'em in the running to get into the top 20.

This is a good horse. Bring him along responsibly and reap the rewards. Push the horse to soon too hard and risk ruining the horse's future. The Derby is a pipe dream for this horse.

Bob S.
03-25-2015, 09:30 PM
After the Maiden Special Weight win at 6F, he won a stakes race at 1 1/8 miles with a 104 BSF. He was going to do the same thing with Kohzan before he got injured.

DRIVEWAY
03-25-2015, 11:40 PM
After the Maiden Special Weight win at 6F, he won a stakes race at 1 1/8 miles with a 104 BSF. He was going to do the same thing with Kohzan before he got injured.

Yes you're right. Thought he had only one start. Still a push but not unreasonable. Question is whether Pletcher is shooting for the Derby or the Preakness. If he replicates his last race beyer then he'll have enough foundation for either race.

Should be interesting to watch his Florida Derby performance.

nijinski
03-26-2015, 12:18 AM
You have to go back generations to find stayers on his female side .

I like him so far for the Preakness .

Langfuhr as the broodmare sire catches my eye at a mile . Interesting
that he went longer .

Bob S.
03-26-2015, 08:49 AM
Langfuhr as a broodmare sire has a AWD of 8.22. To put that in perspective, A.P. Indy's AWD is 8.25. He may not have had stayers in his female family (3rd dam sire Northern Dancer did win the Kentucky Derby and Preakness Stakes though), but his 2nd and 3rd dam sires, Danzig and Northern Dancer, sired numerous long distance runners. He is also inbred to Nearco in his 6th generation on is female side, a superb influence of stamina. Materiality should have no problem with the Kentucky Derby distance.

nijinski
03-26-2015, 03:17 PM
Langfuhr as a broodmare sire has a AWD of 8.22. To put that in perspective, A.P. Indy's AWD is 8.25. He may not have had stayers in his female family (3rd dam sire Northern Dancer did win the Kentucky Derby and Preakness Stakes though), but his 2nd and 3rd dam sires, Danzig and Northern Dancer, sired numerous long distance runners. He is also inbred to Nearco in his 6th generation on is female side, a superb influence of stamina. Materiality should have no problem with the Kentucky Derby distance.
When I look for stamina on the female line , I'll go as far as the grand dam and the sane with the broodmare sire line ,

letswastemoney
03-26-2015, 03:24 PM
Materiality's last win at nine furlongs was perfect with the field being spread thin, a sign of a quality race. Ten furlongs should not be a problem.

raybo
03-26-2015, 03:30 PM
Well, I was hoping this one would slip under the radar a while longer, but alas, he has recently been discussed in several places. Regarding breeding for the distance, I have no reason to think that he can't get the 1 1/4m distance of the Derby. More importantly, I am interested to see if the "x gene" path is intact, need to do some more research into that. If he runs a very good race this time (win or lose with a strong stretch run against a decent pace), my interest will grow exponentially. However, the "x gene" path being intact must be confirmed by actual performance at classic distances, IMO.

letswastemoney
03-26-2015, 03:55 PM
It's hard for a good horse sired by Afleet Alex to go under the radar. The sire is too loved and top-level horses under his name don't come often.