PDA

View Full Version : What would YOU have done?

Rookies
03-23-2015, 06:46 PM
The world of 2015 is fraught with these decisions.

Today, I dropped my son off at work and dropped by Tim Horton's, Canada's largest Coffee chain. Ordered and sat down with my IPad and logged in. Because I sat in one part of the Restaurant, the normal auto entry of the site did not come up. While waiting for that, there were several, untitled Users.

And this one... MUJADIN.

I looked up quickly and by doing a quick profile search of the dozen people around me, was 99% certain, who had that handle. By no coincidence, the Tim Horton's is one long block from one of Toronto's poorer Mosques.

This situation had never come up before, nor had I ever thought about it. In the end, I did nada at the time.

But, I'm very certain, I could pick this guy out the next time I drop by this place.

Sooooo... What would you do? Surreptitiously taken a pic? Reported and to whom?

johnhannibalsmith
03-23-2015, 07:45 PM
I don't get it. What are you reporting?

Rookies
03-23-2015, 07:54 PM
I don't get it. What are you reporting?

The individual using that tag.

johnhannibalsmith
03-23-2015, 07:56 PM
I'm still not sure why. It looks like an arabic name more than the word I assume that you are thinking of.

thaskalos
03-23-2015, 08:07 PM
The world of 2015 is fraught with these decisions.

Today, I dropped my son off at work and dropped by Tim Horton's, Canada's largest Coffee chain. Ordered and sat down with my IPad and logged in. Because I sat in one part of the Restaurant, the normal auto entry of the site did not come up. While waiting for that, there were several, untitled Users.

And this one... MUJADIN.

I looked up quickly and by doing a quick profile search of the dozen people around me, was 99% certain, who had that handle. By no coincidence, the Tim Horton's is one long block from one of Toronto's poorer Mosques.

This situation had never come up before, nor had I ever thought about it. In the end, I did nada at the time.

But, I'm very certain, I could pick this guy out the next time I drop by this place.

Sooooo... What would you do? Surreptitiously taken a pic? Reported and to whom?

Taken a picture and done WHAT with it?

MONEY
03-23-2015, 08:14 PM
Mujadin Harbor
Is a vacation destination north of the Dominican Republic.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/LocationPhotoDirectLink-g147399-d972924-i32085227-Seven_Stars_Resort-Providenciales_Turks_and_Caicos.html

The Mujahedin
Are guerrilla fighters in Islamic countries, especially those who are fighting against non-Muslim forces.

riskman
03-23-2015, 08:22 PM
You should live in NYC and sit in a public place. Hook up your tablet to a hot spot and if you are paranoid you might be thinking like you.

It is unfortunate that this crazy world has put us in this spot.

Hoofless_Wonder
03-23-2015, 10:38 PM
Are you confusing MUJADIN with MUJAHIDIN/Mujahideen?

The first, according to Google, appears to be a rare surname. It also appears as part of the slang term "mujadin binaku", apparently a homosexual with a small penis.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=mujadin+binaku

The second terms of course refer to one who engages in jihad.

If it was me, and I spent two minutes on google, I would have had a good laugh at my own expense.....

Clocker
03-23-2015, 10:41 PM
It also appears as part of the slang term "mujadin binaku", apparently a homosexual with a small penis.

This forum is just a fountain of knowledge. :p

whodoyoulike
03-23-2015, 10:48 PM

The first, according to Google, appears to be a rare surname. It also appears as part of the slang term "mujadin binaku", apparently a homosexual with a small penis.

If it was me, and I spent two minutes on google, I would have had a good laugh at my own expense.....

I'm leaning towards a rare surname.

PaceAdvantage
03-23-2015, 10:56 PM
I'm surprised...I thought Rookies was one of the more open-minded among us... :lol:

Rookies
03-24-2015, 12:05 AM
I'm surprised...I thought Rookies was one of the more open-minded among us... :lol:

Post Ottawa and Paris (and choose 10 others) open minded, but not naive.

Rookies
03-24-2015, 12:08 AM

I did see that, when I looked it up to make sure I'd seen the word before, this morning! :rolleyes:

sammy the sage
03-24-2015, 06:53 AM
Damn....I'm gonna BET a horse w/an Islamic name...the HATER's here will crucify moi...oh brother....what shall I do... :faint: :rolleyes: :eek: :D :lol:

davew
03-24-2015, 09:31 AM
wow, I would have left the place as quickly as possible

it is either a 1- suicide bomber or 2- a person's name

and I would not be around to find out which.

Hoofless_Wonder
03-24-2015, 10:06 PM
I did see that, when I looked it up to make sure I'd seen the word before, this morning! :rolleyes:

So I'm confused. Did you think the guy with the laptop/tablet/phone named MUJADIN was a homosexual with a small penis? Your initial post seems to indicate you wanted to frisk this person for explosives.

Not to be too much of an ass, as the written word online can be a challenging hurdle. But please tell me why we shouldn't urge PA to rename your handle to "Chicken Little"?

johnhannibalsmith
03-24-2015, 10:51 PM
He pretty much said he's on edge after Ottawa and Paris and lord knows in the months after 9/11 you could hardly walk to a mailbox and deposit a letter without someone calling the SWAT team and at that time it seemed oddly appropriate.

My only real complaint is that I think even the water boy on the JV team would have the good sense to use a moniker like Johnny Appleseed if they were going to bother finding a nice anonymous Wi-Fi hub. :D

GameTheory
03-24-2015, 11:20 PM
It is not even an Arabic surname... most of the people named Mujadin I can find on Google (there are plenty, though not millions) are pretty white. Even as a first name -- Eastern European...

But my question is technical -- why did you even see this name? You wouldn't normally see others logging into a public wi-fi. So this was HIS hotspot broadcasting from his phone or something?

Rookies
03-25-2015, 12:17 AM
It is not even an Arabic surname... most of the people named Mujadin I can find on Google (there are plenty, though not millions) are pretty white. Even as a first name -- Eastern European...

But my question is technical -- why did you even see this name? You wouldn't normally see others logging into a public wi-fi. So this was HIS hotspot broadcasting from his phone or something?

Wifi is becoming ubiquitous in all manner of locations: some government offices, libraries, airports, bars, restaurants, community centres, etc. When I log on to these sites, IPads normally auto update. Occasionally, they ask you to renew acceptance of their TOS. In this case, as explained, I was at the other end and the usual slew of device identifiers came up. Those are simply code for the device; whereas this one was a name itself.

This small question and many other tangents, will be law by the end of Spring in
Canada. With their majority, the Conservative Government under Harper will be able to pass a sweeping security and anti terrorism omnibus Bill. Bill C-51) It will greatly increase the security and investigation powers of the state and those employed in carrying it out, will certainly be able to investigate small stuff like this.

Freedoms and Charter Rights will certainly be curtailed and even protests can come under scrutiny because of an economic clause.

Personally, I am in favour of strengthening existing law, as long as these state security apparatuses fall under review by Parliament. Harper and the Conservatives are resisting such amendments to the law so far.

Hoofless_Wonder
03-25-2015, 01:51 AM
Wifi is becoming ubiquitous in all manner of locations: some government offices, libraries, airports, bars, restaurants, community centres, etc. When I log on to these sites, IPads normally auto update. Occasionally, they ask you to renew acceptance of their TOS. In this case, as explained, I was at the other end and the usual slew of device identifiers came up. Those are simply code for the device; whereas this one was a name itself.

This small question and many other tangents, will be law by the end of Spring in
Canada. With their majority, the Conservative Government under Harper will be able to pass a sweeping security and anti terrorism omnibus Bill. Bill C-51) It will greatly increase the security and investigation powers of the state and those employed in carrying it out, will certainly be able to investigate small stuff like this.

Freedoms and Charter Rights will certainly be curtailed and even protests can come under scrutiny because of an economic clause.

Personally, I am in favour of strengthening existing law, as long as these state security apparatuses fall under review by Parliament. Harper and the Conservatives are resisting such amendments to the law so far.

So what do you do if you walk in Tim Horton's, see an Arabic looking fella, scan the wireless network, and note that he must be using a device/hotspot called "Johnny Appleseed"? :confused:

Your concerns about the government passing new laws greatly increasing their powers is certainly valid, though your example in the OP lacks clarity, if not being a bit neurotic. The terrorists have already won if they're inside your head to that degree. I can't speak for Canada, but in the U.S. long ago a Bill of Rights was established where the very first (not the 3rd, 7th or 10th) Amendment concerned freedom of speech. As such, the government has no business snooping on everyone's wireless connections to simply protect us from the fractional number of criminals that might be out there.

Guess I better beat the rush, and change my z10's SSID from "HillaryBlows" to "JohnnyAppleseed".

Rookies
03-25-2015, 08:27 AM
So what do you do if you walk in Tim Horton's, see an Arabic looking fella, scan the wireless network, and note that he must be using a device/hotspot called "Johnny Appleseed"? :confused:

Your concerns about the government passing new laws greatly increasing their powers is certainly valid, though your example in the OP lacks clarity, if not being a bit neurotic. The terrorists have already won if they're inside your head to that degree. I can't speak for Canada, but in the U.S. long ago a Bill of Rights was established where the very first (not the 3rd, 7th or 10th) Amendment concerned freedom of speech. As such, the government has no business snooping on everyone's wireless connections to simply protect us from the fractional number of criminals that might be out there.

Guess I better beat the rush, and change my z10's SSID from "HillaryBlows" to "JohnnyAppleseed".

The proposed law is extensive and intrusive. Here are some highlights:

An Act to enact the Security of Canada Information Sharing Act and the Secure Air Travel Act, to amend the Criminal Code, the Canadian Security Intelligence Service Act and the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and to make related and consequential amendments to other Acts.

(This stitches together multiple existing Federal Laws and the next highlight describes the overall intent.)

2. The following definitions apply in this Act.
“activity that undermines the security of Canada”

“activity that undermines the security of Canada” means any activity, including any of the following activities, if it undermines the sovereignty, security or territorial integrity of Canada or the lives or the security of the people of Canada:

(a) interference with the capability of the Government of Canada in relation to intelligence, defence, border operations, public safety, the administration of justice, diplomatic or consular relations, or the economic or financial stability of Canada;

(b) changing or unduly influencing a government in Canada by force or unlawful means;

(c) espionage, sabotage or covert foreign-influenced activities;

(d) terrorism;

(e) proliferation of nuclear, chemical, radiological or biological weapons;

(f) interference with critical infrastructure;

(g) interference with the global information infrastructure, as defined in section 273.61 of the National Defence Act;

(h) an activity that causes serious harm to a person or their property because of that person’s association with Canada; and

(i) an activity that takes place in Canada and undermines the security of another state.

For greater certainty, it does not include lawful advocacy, protest, dissent and artistic expression.

(On grounds, for a judge)
83.221 (1) Every person who, by communicating statements, knowingly advocates or promotes the commission of terrorism offences in general — other than an offence under this section — while knowing that any of those offences will be committed or being reckless as to whether any of those offences may be committed, as a result of such communication, is guilty of an indictable offence and is liable to imprisonment for a term of not more than five years.

(On electronic devices)

83.223 (1) If a judge is satisfied by information on oath that there are reasonable grounds to believe that there is material — that is terrorist propaganda or data that makes terrorist propaganda available — stored on and made available to the public through a computer system that is within the court’s jurisdiction, the judge may order the computer system’s custodian to

(a) give an electronic copy of the material to the court;

(b) ensure that the material is no longer stored on and made available through the computer system; and

(c) provide the information that is necessary to identify and locate the person who posted the material.

The Act will, by definition, apply to T.i.Ts (Terrorists in Training) in foreign lands, who can be prosecuted, as though any offence occurred in Canada.

In summary, there is strong support (no doubt due to multiple Canadian and world events) to the enactment of this law. There is a less strong, but not minor concern, about where Rights and Freedoms may be proscribed and the lack of oversight through the legal, democratic body of the people- parliament. I share both views.

I have no doubt, that when enacted, Canada's state security apparatus, will likely troll Tim Horton type locations in certain venues, to ferret out leads. This is the 'Brave New World' we are in and I would be shocked if many western democracies do not follow suit.

barn32
03-25-2015, 10:28 AM
This is why I'm glad I don't drink coffee.