PDA

View Full Version : Keeneland Spring or fall

BELMONT 6-6-09
03-22-2015, 07:01 PM
With the Keeneland Spring meeting a couple of weeks away a question begs to be asked ( at least by me). Do you have a preference for the Spring or fall meeting? With the return to the dirt surface this year should see an increased handle and interest.

Though I enjoy both meets the Spring meeting signifies a return to the racing season and the important Derby preps.

castaway01
03-22-2015, 07:59 PM
With the Keeneland Spring meeting a couple of weeks away a question begs to be asked ( at least by me). Do you have a preference for the Spring or fall meeting? With the return to the dirt surface this year should see an increased handle and interest.

Though I enjoy both meets the Spring meeting signifies a return to the racing season and the important Derby preps.

The Fall 2013 meet with the synthetic track had record attendance and handle.
The Fall 2014 meet with the new dirt course saw handle drop 12% from Fall 2013.

Just the facts.

Keeneland all-sources handle drops 12 percent (http://www.drf.com/news/keeneland-all-sources-handle-drops-12-percent-fall-meet)

Grits
03-22-2015, 08:07 PM
May have less to do with track surface and more to do with timing. Breeders' Cup has disrupted, so to speak, the Fall stakes schedules/entries at other tracks, why not anticipate the possibility at Keeneland?

Spring meet is better. But, certainly, more chilly.

BELMONT 6-6-09
03-22-2015, 08:40 PM

Just the facts.

Keeneland all-sources handle drops 12 percent (http://www.drf.com/news/keeneland-all-sources-handle-drops-12-percent-fall-meet)

Thanks, not aware of the drop. Let's hope for a different scenario this year.

tanner12oz
03-22-2015, 08:59 PM
I like the spring meet better. More buzz in the air, more excitement. I've had better luck with spring weather vs fall weather. Shadewell was cold as hell this past year

ReplayRandall
03-22-2015, 09:12 PM

Just the facts.

Thanks for the info, Castaway. I'm looking forward to the Spring meet and believe Keeneland will have the wrinkles ironed out, thus re-establishing it's high handle figures versus the dirt-switch fall meet and it's subsequent handle drop.....

Nitro
03-22-2015, 11:31 PM

Before they switched to synthetic I was an avid Keeneland player. With the return to dirt I’ll be playing both Spring and Fall without any real preference. From a fan’s viewpoint there are many positive aspects about the Keeneland meetings, but from a player’s perspective I’ll narrow it down to those I enjoy the most: big fields and big value! :ThmbUp:

Hoofless_Wonder
03-23-2015, 12:09 AM
When I lived in Lexington, it was no contest for being on track. The fall meet was much better. Less crowded, better weather (that I experienced), the trees turning colors, football season at peak, the laid back winding down atmosphere except for the Breeder's Cup horses, and a whole season of Kentucky racing to help with the handicapping. October at Keeneland is the BEST North American meet, IMHO.

The spring meet could be very cold, or warm - in which case the UK coeds flocked to the facility and could be pretty distracting. Shippers galore from Oaklawn, Fairground, Florida - much tougher to make a buck. The stone buildings seemed to still be cold from winter.

I haven't been back in almost 20 years, but when I do plan a trip back, I'll be heading out for an October weekday card.

jahura2
03-23-2015, 01:02 PM
When I lived in Lexington, it was no contest for being on track. The fall meet was much better. Less crowded, better weather (that I experienced), the trees turning colors, football season at peak, the laid back winding down atmosphere except for the Breeder's Cup horses, and a whole season of Kentucky racing to help with the handicapping. October at Keeneland is the BEST North American meet, IMHO.

The spring meet could be very cold, or warm - in which case the UK coeds flocked to the facility and could be pretty distracting. Shippers galore from Oaklawn, Fairground, Florida - much tougher to make a buck. The stone buildings seemed to still be cold from winter.

I haven't been back in almost 20 years, but when I do plan a trip back, I'll be heading out for an October weekday card.

I will side with HW. I live in and have lived in Lexington most of my life and love the fall meet best. One of the key reasons is the lack of 2 yr old "baby" 4.5 furlong races that are usually dominated by Wesley Ward and provide little wagering value. Add the fact that its football season and it makes for a complete weekend.

salty
03-23-2015, 04:11 PM
I usually look forward to Keeneland meets every year but I know that I only played at most ..hmm.. 3 races during the fall meet. The problem is I was winning there during the polytrack era and the info that Jeremy Plonk provided each day in his polycapping 101 handicapping guide was very useful concerning the shippers and class angles that led to a lot of good prices. Going to try to follow it closer during the spring meet now that there is one meet under the belt after the switchback. More looking forward to visiting the track sometime soon.

Sir Barton
03-25-2015, 11:18 AM
Been going Bluegrass weekend for 13 years now. Spring is amazing.I have probably brought thirty different people over the years and all really had a great time. Walk the barns, eat at the track kitchen, and get there early to watch the horses work. An experience and setting unlike any other for race fans in America.

Milkshaker
03-25-2015, 12:18 PM
Love the "pointing for Keeneland" angles on lightly raced shippers at the spring meet. Look for the blueblood stables who gave their horses a tune-up that looks uninspiring on paper out of town before zeroing in on their true target.

I just don't see this happening at the fall meet, so I back off on Kee in Otcober.

Tall One
03-25-2015, 01:48 PM
I will side with HW. I live in and have lived in Lexington most of my life and love the fall meet best. One of the key reasons is the lack of 2 yr old "baby" 4.5 furlong races that are usually dominated by Wesley Ward and provide little wagering value. Add the fact that its football season and it makes for a complete weekend.

Quoted for emphasis. The Spinster and QEII races might be my two favorites out there.

I think you'll agree that the coldest place on earth is the first floor when the wind is whipping through in the early days of the spring meet. Hell, it's not out of the ordinary for it to snow in early April either. :D